• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

T2T CEO: Marvel's Midnight Suns was a critical success but a commercial flop

Sentenza

It's a good game but like a lot of Firaxis games it's too much filler. I play strategy games for the strategy part. I don't need a ton of story, cutscenes, and busy work to go with it.
It's actually worse than ANY Firaxis game so far, since there's a lot more time wasters.
I can go through the strategic/management layer of War of the Chosen without issues and I DID it countless time already, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to stand playing another round of social bullshit in Midnight Suns a second time, let alone multiple ones.

This was one of those rare best/worst games for me. I really enjoyed the combat and upgrading my decks, but the social aspects tying it all together were abysmal.
The combat did get a bit stale at the back half too, all the arenas are essentially the same block playing field, they definitely could've used more variety there.

Raven77

Environments looked super dull and boring. Characters looked like their outfits we made of metal or something. That might be comic accurate but harder to sell to the masses.

hyperbertha

Should have made an xcom game, what their fans actually wanted. Fuck marvel. Stop stealing my favorite studios you piece of filth.

hyperbertha

A lot of the people in this thread shitting on Midnight Suns haven't actually you know.... played it. Give it a shot, you may find it a lot of fun.

For my part I think the game is great. More than any other Marvel game I can think of it actually feels like you form real friendships with the many included heroes. Impressive given the size of the roster and more impressive still considering its the comic book versions rather than the lame MCU iterations - Yes! Captain Marvel is actually likeable in this. The story was very good, everyone had their moment, faced some kind of internal struggle, adversity or setback and was able to overcome or face their demons with the help of their friends. The main character 'Hunter' was exactly what was required to push the story forward. To have something unique without overly messing with the lore of the other characters. I liked that I was able to put my own spin on the main character by steering conversations and influencing key decisions. The character creator is good and there are lots of collectables, costumes and customisations possible. Way more than you would think. You can decorate your room at the Abbey, go fishing with Captain America or spend time in Limbo helping Majik come to terms with her horrible past.

There are a few things I would like to see improved/changed in a potential sequel..
  • Once completed let me wrap up things with everyone - I dislike the whole... go back to a point before the final mission thing. Give me a proper endgame.
  • Let me give gifts at my discretion
  • You constantly run out of certain essences and have an overabundance of others. There is a transmute system but it requires too many mats to be useful.
  • Give me more than a single other character capable of being a healer (vital in the harder difficulties). Currently only Hunter and Nico can actively heal other players. Some characters can self-heal i.e. Blade with lifesteal etc.
  • Some characters do pathetically low damage, even with maxed out character level, abilities and mods. This makes them useless in the later stages of the game on the higher difficulty settings.
There are probably a few systems that could be further refined but overall the game was a lot of fun. Considering my playtime I think the game definitely justifies its AAA price (if we consider £$70 in any way acceptable for new releases). If you are interested give it a try once the price drops a little. There is a lot here to enjoy.
I very much love xcom and turn based style games, and would have given this one a try (despite hating marvel), if not for the social sim aspects. It's a time waster and to make matters worse, poorly written according to reviews.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Unsurprising. Price point nowhere even CLOSE to matching the product on offer. Questionable technical performance out of the gate. Two game halves in opposition to one another. Releasing without the "cool" DLC characters.

The strategy layer was great but everything else about the game felt ridiculously half baked. The fact that they did NOTHING to make this feel - aesthetically - like a super hero game (the artistic design plays it stupidly safe) only hurt the game on it's ability to survive on word of mouth. Then there's the relationship side of things that just does not fit whatsoever with the the visual and narrative tone of the game.

. . . this could have been an excellent long term game that succeeded on word of mouth, but somewhere Take Two and FIRAXIS lost the plot.

Top Bottom