• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tabletop RPG's

Video Games are great and all but i'd like to talk about another great kind of gaming that I love. That's right i'm talking about table top role playing games, card collecting games and miniature war games. While these three are pretty different beasts and could easily have their own threads I figured this thread could be a place we could discuss what we love and hate about various systems.

Currently i'm playing a few games but i'm always on the lookout for more

Frostgrave: A fantasy skirmish game where each player takes on the role of a wizard from one of 10 schools of magic and then builds his war band. Each wizard is usually accompanied by an apprentice and the rest of the band is made up of over a dozen other henchman types. The game is a pretty quick one (usually less than 2 hours) and is a lot of fun for those who enjoy spell casters as there are just shy of 100 spells for your wizards to learn.
61hys1-yVZL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Warhammer 40k: This one has been a favorite of mine for the last 23 years and going strong. A tabletop war game that set in an apocalyptic scifi setting where players face off with large armies on (usually) custom made tables. This one is a huge time and money investment but it pays off when you crush your enemies and see them flee before you and your mighty orc army. Painting and customizing the minis, terrain and table are a huge draw for some but be prepared to say goodbye to large chunks of money to get what you want.

LTyh8Xr.jpg

Starfinder: Based on Paizo's very popular D20 game Pathfinder, Starfinder is a great pen and paper rpg set in a sci-fi world of aliens, diplomacy and of course space battles. It's a little math heavy just like it's sister game Pathfinder but the game play is smooth and just like Pathfinder character creation is detailed and allows for a ton of customization.
Screenshot_2017_08_28_14.09.30.png

Those are the 3 big one's i'm playing at the moment but what are you guys playing?

Some great youtube channels to look at for ideas on terrain building I wanted to share as well.

If podcast's are your thing here are a few i've come across. In my career as a truck driver i've had a lot of time to find and listen to podcasts but i'm always up for something new:

And of course some youtube channels

pramod

Banned
I wonder if Youtube and live streaming has a large part to do with it. I think some of these D&D videos became viral and more people wanted to do their own videos/streams and when cute females started to get involved it just kinda exploded.

Last edited:

Hemg

Neo Member
Great part of the community i follow play D&D or Shadowrun. (b/c they are the rules i love most)

What i recommend for you guys to watch is the Critical Role Campaign.
I've playing TTRPG's for almost 5 yo. so i could say i'm new to all this.

Last edited:
Great part of the community i follow play D&D or Shadowrun. (b/c they are the rules i love most)

I haven't played Shadowrun in a few years but if you like that one another great one to check out is Cyberpunk 2020. Great storylines and the character creation is super fun

Ladioss

I remember back in the 90s when Magic and videogames killed tabletop RPGs; it's weird to see them making a comeback now. D&D5 really did some major work here.

Subscribed. I really need to find a new group nearby to do some Glorantha & OSR/Dungeon Crawl Classics !

Last edited:

Stimpak

I’ve only played TTRPGs a handful of times, but had a tremendous amount of fun with them.

The unfortunate aspect is finding people to play with and/or meet consistently.

Anyone want to be a good noodle and recommend TTRPGs for people unfamiliar with the genre?

I’ve only played TTRPGs a handful of times, but had a tremendous amount of fun with them.

The unfortunate aspect is finding people to play with and/or meet consistently.

Anyone want to be a good noodle and recommend TTRPGs for people unfamiliar with the genre?
Dungeons and Dragons is a pretty good starting point and have made it pretty easy to get started. They posted a beginner's guide on their website so the only thing you would need really is a set of dice. There are actually a number of apps you can put on your phone to accomplish the dice rolls as well.
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules
But if you want to spend a little money and get a better starting point I would recommend the D&D starter set and/or the Essentials Kit as they are great to getting a group off the ground.

As far as meeting people to play with I would suggest visiting your local games store and asking around. I might be biased as I am a co-owner of just such a shop but we keep a board for people to post notices looking for players or DM's and even rent small rooms designed for gaming so no one has to host strangers in their homes for these games.

Weiji

Banned
I’m not an expert by any stretch (never played DnD, played 40k until I went to college.)

I’ve always loved board games, but I don’t really have the time to paint.

I just backed my first Kickstarter with zombicide invasion and really enjoyed playing it with friends two weeks ago.

Gonna be trying a first run with the new Pathfinder 2nd edition book this weekend. Some of the changes seem pretty small but i'm curious to see how they impact the overall flow of the game, especially the skill system.

Ladioss

As Threeshotgamer Threeshotgamer said, you can't go wrong with the current iteration of Dungeons & Dragons : the 5th edition is a huge success, there are plenty of gaming groups playing it out there, and some of the new mechanics are really elegant - especially for the D&D game, which has always tended to be the TTRPG closest to the wargaming roots of the hobby.

It's difficult to recommend you other games as it depends of what type of universe interest you and your gaming group. You can't probably go wrong with games like Call of Cthulhu (for Lovecraftian horror), Shadowrun (cyberpunk with some fantasy mixed in), World of Darkness (urban fantasy/horror), Star Wars (guess) and The One Ring (LOTR) thought.

Adding more, on top of the great advice from Ladioss Ladioss , is to not be afraid to check out some older systems as well. There are some great gems hiding in the history of TTRPG's. One of my favorites is the old Palladium Heroes and Villains settings.
Or if you are into mech's then Mechwarrior is an absolute must play:

Ladioss

There are some great gems hiding in the history of TTRPG's. One of my favorites is the old Palladium Heroes and Villains settings.

As a big fan of such games as basic D&D, SLA Industries, Castle Falkenstein or Heroquest/Herowars, I quite agree with you about older RPGS :messenger_grinning_smiling: (and Cultist Simulator made me reread the rulebooks for Unknown Armies, Kult, Silent Legions and The Whispering Vault as well :messenger_beaming:)

I never played Heroes, how does it compare to TSR's classic Marvel RPG ?

As a big fan of such games as basic D&D, SLA Industries, Castle Falkenstein or Heroquest/Herowars, I quite agree with you about older RPGS :messenger_grinning_smiling: (and Cultist Simulator made me reread the rulebooks for Unknown Armies, Kult, Silent Legions and The Whispering Vault as well :messenger_beaming:)

I never played Heroes, how does it compare to TSR's classic Marvel RPG ?
I think it's got a wider scope when it comes to the powers and such but it is a little rule heavy which can feel clunky. Character Creation is top notch though

So I guess this would be the best thread to ask in. Just started DND with the family and of course by default I am the DM because I’m the one that has to learn everything g anyways. Anyone up to go over some rules that aren’t very clear or offer up some tips to run things smoother?

Top Bottom