• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taboo (featuring Tom Hardy) - mm - hmm -mhmm - hnn

zHEesJa.jpg

I can't believe why nobody was talking about this great show or how I couldn't find anything about it here on GAF, but you absolutely need to get on it, right now! Taboo is a raw, vicious and brutal history piece about a guy called James Delaney, a half-mad adventurer who returns to England after having inherited a strategic piece of land that is both contested by the King, the East India Company and the fledgling United States.

Now don't let yourself be turned away by the plot synopsis and the somewhat slow start. Taboo is something to be experienced, if only for Tom Hardy's intense screen presence. As the title of the show suggests, raw violence, exorcism, prostitution, incest, rape, slavery and yes... even cannibalism are woven into the show's intriguing and smartly written storyline. It is certainly not for the faint hearted, but Taboo handles these heavy subjects really well as it paints its stark and uncaring world full of human vice, greed and corruption.

Tom Hardy's main role leans heavily on the mythological figure of the woodwose or wild man, a beastly yet cunningly smart creature that roams outside of social conventions. James Delaney is an insanely intimidating character, who hides a chillingly calculating personae behind a brutish and feral façade. With his ever-present hat, long coat and heavy step he keeps grunting at innocent bystanders and threatening “extreme violence” to almost everyone. Tom Hardy plays the role to perfection, very similar to his previous movie Bronson.

Don't go into this looking for historical accuracy though. Taboo is like a vivid fever dream, stuffed full of hallucinations, raw emotion, brilliant dialogues and spiritual elements that never quite come into focus. It is just a brilliant 8-part series that so far is unfortunately limited to a single season. A second season was announced in 2017, but so far nothing has really materialized. Don't let that deter you though as the first season remains a fully satisfying experience.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

I usually like Tom Hardy but I dunno, I got two episodes in and totally lost interest. May have to give it a second chance someday.

niilokin

good show which I've forgotten about, the setting is one of my favorites and the main character is really interesting.

Objectively, quite good. Subjectively, addicting and entertaining as hell, with a magnetic Tom Hardy. Enjoyed the season, except for the last couple of episodes...

Lunarorbit

This is a show designed to be listened to with subtitles. Hardy mumbles alot but the worst offender is the guy from Snatch that's partners with Jason Statham, Stephen Graham. I didn't understand anything he said. Sounds like jibberish.

Worth watching. If you liked banshee or Penny dreadful you'll probably like this show too.

Has alot in common with game of thrones if you know what I mean 😏

Catphish

This is a show designed to be listened to with subtitles. Hardy mumbles alot but the worst offender is the guy from Snatch that's partners with Jason Statham, Stephen Graham. I didn't understand anything he said. Sounds like jibberish.

Worth watching. If you liked banshee or Penny dreadful you'll probably like this show too.

Has alot in common with game of thrones if you know what I mean 😏
Yep, I turned on subtitles about 5 minutes in.

Catphish

Wrapped the season up last night. I enjoyed it immensely.

It had pretty much everything I want in a period drama. Good production values, good casting, good acting, and of course an intelligent plot, with a wide sample of the human experience; beauty, barbarism, loyalty, betrayal, redemption, love, hate, high-stakes gamesmanship, and all the incestual (pun intended) intermingling between them.

Hardy owns this fucking role. You couldn't have picked a better actor to play it. His presence is felt when he's not even on-screen.

Sadly, it has not concluded to my satisfaction, so I can only hope there's a season two.

Overall, I'm really thankful for the recommendation. I never would have seen this show if not for it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hmm. Enjoyed the setting, Tom Hardy growling at people while wearing a top hat, and half of the population of London looking like they have leprosy. Didn't much care for the East India Company, the Crown, and the Americans all being so incompetent in order to prop up Delaney's brilliance. The entire city revolves around Delaney. No one talks about anything other than Delaney. You have to wonder how the East India Company is in such a position of power and influence when they can't accomplish anything over the course of the entire season. And Delaney's scheme isn't all that interesting or clever when it all comes together. So, some significant writing shortcomings for me.

Not bad though, something different.

For sure, it is a Tom Hardy power fantasy, but his character is what made it enjoyable for me.

Delaney's schemes were elaborate enough to engage my suspension of disbelief, assuming that The East India Company wanted to solve this dispute in a legal manner since they were worried about their public perception. Delaney's schemes only managed to provoke a temporary standoff by emphasizing on the conflicting interests between Crown, Company and the States. So neither of them came across as completely incompetent. I liked how the conflict cumulated in all the parties involved not giving a crap about appearances anymore and outright resorting to plain ol' violence.

It is far from historically accurate and I hope this can only end in typical Greek tragedy fashion, with Delaney's own plans and exaggerated ambitions becoming his ultimate downfall.

Top Bottom