• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Reborn | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
hero

Game Information

Game Title: Tactics Ogre: Reborn

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (Nov 11, 2022)
  • Nintendo Switch (Nov 11, 2022)
  • PlayStation 4 (Nov 11, 2022)
  • PC (Nov 11, 2022)
Trailers:

Developer: Square Enix

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 87 average - 100% recommended - 19 reviews

3YVUd4C.jpg

MetaCritic - 86/100 - 13 Critics

AUYF9D3.jpg

Critic Reviews

33bits - Juanma F. Padilla - Spanish - 95 / 100
Tactics Ogre: Reborn is the latest improvement on the game originally released on the Super Famicom, ported to PlayStation and brought to PlayStation Portable as a remake. Using this latest version as a base and adding Spanish to the texts -apart from voices in Japanese and English-, modifying the controls and the combat GUI and some other improvements, we find ourselves with the best possible version of a title that was already an institution in the genre beyond the personal taste of each one. Tactics Ogre: Reborn will give us many hours of fun and challenges in equal parts. Totally recommended.
Atomix - Aldo López - Spanish - 90 / 100
This adaptation is the correct way to approach turn-based tactics games, given that its rules are the most intuitive for the user, it can be perfectly enjoyed in these times. If you never gave the portable console remake a chance in your life, it's time to move on to the version that can now be considered the definitive one.
Digitally Downloaded - Matt Sainsbury - 4.5 / 5
Tactics Ogre Reborn is the essence of one of video game’s true masterpieces. On this, the second remake, it has proven that it is functionally timeless, both in terms of storytelling and the quality of play. There weren’t many tactics JRPGs around before Tactics Ogre, and those that were largely looked to Fire Emblem for inspiration. Now, though, the isometric combat system that so many tactics JRPGs use these days was inspired directly by two classics – this one, and Final Fantasy Tactics. We have a lot to thank Tactics Ogre for, and Reborn demonstrates just how playable it still is.
Eurogamer - Edwin Evans-Thirlwell - Recommended
An exhaustive reworking of a foundational dark fantasy epic, with some quietly radical new ideas.
GameSpot - Heidi Kemps - 8 / 10
Tactics Ogre Reborn is a superb revamp of an all-time strategy game masterpiece--though this revival is not without some small issues.
God is a Geek - Lyle Carr - 8.5 / 10
Tactics Ogre Reborn is a fantastic look at the history of tactics games, and is still a blast even now.
Hobby Consolas - David Rodriguez - Spanish - 80 / 100
Tactics Ogre Reborn is, on its own merits, one of the great SRPG in history, which we can now enjoy in the best way thanks to its playable and graphic novelties. However, we miss a greater boldness on the part of Square Enix with this revision of the 2010 remake. If you already played years ago, there are no great incentives to repeat.
PSX Brasil - Thiago de Alencar Moura - Portuguese - 95 / 100
Tactics Ogre: Reborn is a more than worthy re-release of one of the most influential and maybe the best Tactical RPG of all time. The improvements brought in this version make it much more accessible and improve considerably the experience both for new players as well as long time fans and make it a mandatory title for everyone that enjoys the genre.
PlayStation Universe - Timothy Nunes - 8 / 10
There's validity to Tactics Ogre being a classic, and Tactics Ogre: Reborn showcases that. Tactics Ogre: Reborn offers the kind of simplified presentation combined with fantastic writing and voice work to create a cohesive package all around. Despite showing its age in places, the game offers more than enough to convince even the most anti-tactics gamer out there to give it a try.
Polygon - Oli Welsh - Unscored
There’s genius and sincerity at work here. Get deep enough into Tactics Ogre and the entreaty of its subtitle, Let Us Cling Together, starts to sound a lot less goofy and a lot more urgent and sad. How deep you will get into the game depends on your appetite for micromanagement and your patience with gameplay systems that, 27 years later, are starting to creak, despite all the judicious tinkering that’s been done to them. Tactics Ogre: Reborn is a welcome, polished, and thoughtful update to a game that defined a genre — a genre that has now left it behind.
Push Square - Khayl Adam - 8 / 10
The strategy RPG genre owes a lot to the Tactics Ogre franchise, which is filled with lesser titles trying to recreate even a fraction of its winning formula. The experience that lies at the heart of Tactics Ogre: Reborn has stood the test of time admirably and, thanks to the swathe of intelligent tweaks and quality-of-life improvements introduced, will likely remain at the head of the pack for years to come.
RPG Fan - Sam-James Gordon - 95%
The Tactics Ogre series has been dormant for a long time, but if this remaster is anything to go by, Square Enix still has total confidence in their IP. I cannot hesitate to recommend this game to fans of SRPGs, and it's accessible enough for newcomers to dive right in.
Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Katharine Castle - Unscored
Not much of a glow-up from Tactics Ogre's PSP remake in 2010, but this is still an engrossing turn-based tactics RPG that will keep you battling for hours and hours and hours and hours...
Shacknews - TJ Denzer - 8 / 10
Tactics Ogre: Reborn is a treasure of both classic tactical RPG design and modern sensibilities. I really like the quality-of-life features that make it so much easier to play and stay on the path of the story without much padding. I can also appreciate that this game also contains some tough-as-nails challenges that take an incredible amount of dedication to overcome. In between all that, it’s also just a great story and I really appreciate the Chariot Tarot system allowing you to see the paths untaken at any point you desire. If you want a great tactical RPG, this is not only the forerunner to many favorites, it’s also well-polished for a new generation.
Spaziogames - Gianluca Arena - Italian - 8.6 / 10
One of the two kings is back (the other one being Final Fantasy Tactics), and it is in a wonderful shape even eleven years after its last appearance. We're not 100% sure this is the best version of this classic, but it's a version no strategy fan should miss nonetheless.
The Beta Network - Anthony Culinas - 9 / 10
Even though this new remake contains some outdated RPG design elements and mechanics, the core gameplay is still as addictive and challenging as it was back in 1995. Almost every major battle is a true test of tactical prowess, and the new modernisations like stat buff cards, map rotation and trajectory prediction are simply the icing on the cake. Couple this with a fully remastered soundtrack and a great story full of political and personal intrigue, and you're in for an RPG experience that easily stands the test of time.
Twinfinite - Keenan McCall - 4.5 / 5
Tactics Ogre: Reborn is exactly what fans could have wanted from a remaster. Though not all of its changes improve the experience, the majority are welcome improvements that help elevate the experience to a new level. This is a must-play for fans of the original, and easily the best possible point of entry for newcomers who want to get into the series.
VG247 - Dom Peppiatt - 5 / 5
In a world where we've seen Square Enix fall down with remasters (examples include the lacklustre Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters and the egregious Kingdom Hearts on Switch), Tactics Ogre: Reborn highlights something special – a change of the guard, so to speak, that bodes remarkably well for the rest of the publisher's classic RPG oeuvre.
Worth Playing - Chris "Atom" DeAngelus - 9 / 10
Tactics Ogre: Reborn is an incredibly well put together remaster of one of the cult classics from the SNES era. It's an improvement over the well-done PSP remaster and improves upon it in almost every way. The story and translation remain excellent, and the core gameplay is more fun than ever. The only downside is that it didn't get any visual touch-ups, so you'll need to be willing to accept cute, pudgy little sprites acting out the serious tense political drama. If you're a fan of strategy RPGs and haven't played Tactics Ogre yet, then Reborn is well worth a shot.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Turns out, great games remain great.

I was planning on starting into this this long holiday weekend, but unfortunately my copy got delayed til Monday.

The_hunter

Can't decide what system to get it on. Usually I get ps5 for multiplatform games, but playing Octopath on the switch was a great experience.

Fuz

Banned
Never played it and it seems a game I'll enjoy greatly.

Just want to know something: A few years ago I tried to play the original FFT, and while I loved playing the DS one back then, this one while enjoyable was WAAAAAAY to farmy and difficult/frustrating for me and dropped it at the "execution" level. So, how farmy and stressful is Tactics Ogre? Will I enjoy it or just drop out of frustration?

Last edited:

Paltheos

Better than I expected. S-E's remasters have been tighter lately, going off my experience of the FF Pixel Remasters anyway, 'though I did hear allot of visual complaints about the Chrono Cross release.
I've had Tactics Ogre on my radar for a while. I might bump it to the top of my queue once I finish Cold Steel 4 (sometime in a month probably lol).

Wait, this isn't on Xbox? This is the type of game that add value to gamepass. I really want to grab it by 50bucks is too steep. Maybe Sony will add it to ps plus in a few months. Gives me such FFT nostalgia.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I'm surprised Spukc Spukc hasn't made an appearance yet to let us know how he feels about remakes and remasters.
Sorry i didnt realize this game was not a fanmade mod.

Did you check the vaseline filters on the sprites? On the steam store?

L6aPEow.jpg

What the fuck is this? 🤣🤣

This is not a remake this is a rewreck

ZbGfjmD.jpg

Original upscaled and not some low shit filter

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Can't decide what system to get it on. Usually I get ps5 for multiplatform games, but playing Octopath on the switch was a great experience.
I too am having this internal struggle… it’s quite challenging to decide. Only thing I’m thinking is I own it on psp, so maybe I want the trophies.
Ask yourself, do you want to be stuck playing this game only on big screen? The artstyle is great but the visuals not really “high tech” enough for you to care playing it in Switch or PS5.

This is type of gameI like to play on my bed or laying on my couch….at least for me.

Just want to know something: A few years ago I tried to play the original FFT, and while I loved the playing DS one back then, this one while enjoyable was WAAAAAAY to farmy and difficult/frustrating for me and dropped it at the "execution" level. So, how farmy and stressful is Tactics Ogre? Will I enjoy it or just drop out of frustration?
I got this on PSP and ended up bouncing off the game after a while for whatever reason. Honestly been a bit too long for me to remember why, but I did kind of feel like it's too grindy, and I love SRPGs. I'm going to give this another shot once this drops in price to see if I was mistaken. But I personally think even FFT is far too old, and missing too many critical QOL features to comfortably play without being at least a little bit annoyed (and sometimes severely annoyed).

Triangle Strategy is much more modernized in my opinion, and comfortable to play without excessively wasting your time. It is abnormally story and cutscene heavy though.

And this version of the game does have some adjustments, so I'm going to be watching the OT to see how many people genuinely play through this thing until the end and if it actually stands up as much as people claim it does.

Reactions: Fuz

Kacho

Gold Member
Wait, this isn't on Xbox? This is the type of game that add value to gamepass. I really want to grab it by 50bucks is too steep. Maybe Sony will add it to ps plus in a few months. Gives me such FFT nostalgia.
Xbox has been an afterthought for Square since the Xbox One. They release random games like the Chrono Cross remaster but miss the platform with Tactics Ogre and the Mana series. It's very strange. I can only assume they withhold some games so Microsoft is forced to pay for Game Pass content down the road.

Jennings

I will be playing this on my Switch since I don't own a Stem Deck. I had a co-worker once go on a two hour tangeant about this game being his favorite of all time, so I'm glad I'll finally have the chance to see if it deserves the praise.

So Fire Emblem. Wasn't Final Fantasy Tactics just a really good Fire Emblem copy-paste?

No, they are somewhat different. Yes, they are strategy rpgs, but Fire Emblem is mostly flat terrain and the units are like chess pieces that act in groups. Tactics games are more straight to the point without relationship management stuff inbetween and each unit is more customizable and varied. The elevation in maps is also a central gameplay mechanics

If you like Triangle Strategy this is the better game
I do hope people actually take the time to see if this is true today with an open mind, instead of just assuming/insisting it based on nostalgia. Going to be replaying this at some point for that purpose.

The game definitely has more battles, and more customization at the very least, but Triangle Strategy has a lot of great attributes.

sachos

Sorry i didnt realize this game was not a fanmade mod.

Did you check the vaseline filters on the sprites? On the steam store?

L6aPEow.jpg

What the fuck is this? 🤣🤣

This is not a remake this is a rewreck

ZbGfjmD.jpg

Original upscaled and not some low shit filter
I REALLY hope you can turn that filter off, yikes. Great scores btw!

Graciaus

Just want to know something: A few years ago I tried to play the original FFT, and while I loved the playing DS one back then, this one while enjoyable was WAAAAAAY to farmy and difficult/frustrating for me and dropped it at the "execution" level. So, how farmy and stressful is Tactics Ogre? Will I enjoy it or just drop out of frustration?
The game has been rebalanced so don't know yet. Archers were super op in the original. The best character in the game is the first one who joins you.

Shame you gave up at the execution. The stage right before two special characters joined you and can carry you the rest of the game.

Kacho

Gold Member
So Fire Emblem. Wasn't Final Fantasy Tactics just a really good Fire Emblem copy-paste?
They are both SRPGS but very different mechanically.

Tactics Ogre has height mechanics, a deep magic system and class customization. If you've played any classic FF you'll feel right at home here.

Fire Emblem is more simplified SRPG with the distinctive rock, paper, scissor mechanic.

Top Bottom