• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Reborn | Review Thread

Fuz

Banned
Shame you gave up at the execution.
That shit was just plain unfair. Enemies all in advantage elevated positions all around the map while my team was stuck in the middle getting fireballed left and right.

Fuck that shit, really.

I do hope people actually take the time to see if this is true today with an open mind, instead of just assuming/insisting it based on nostalgia. Going to be replaying this at some point for that purpose.

The game definitely has more battles, and more customization at the very least, but Triangle Strategy has a lot of great attributes.

Honestly, the story of triangle strategy was good, but it wasn’t above and beyond tactics games, enough for me to want to put down my switch for 20 minutes at a time to look at sprites talking to each other on the screen

It also ended the same way as the tactics games in the end, despite being more grounded.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Can't decide what system to get it on. Usually I get ps5 for multiplatform games, but playing Octopath on the switch was a great experience.
I ended up going Steam for my Steam Deck to have it on the go but it was a hard choice to pass up on PS5

the fact Green Man Gaming had it for 20% off was what pushed me to go with Steam

sachos

How do professionals come to decide something like this looks good?
I guess it has to do with playtesters asking why the characters look like "my old Nintendo games" or it looking HD at a "normal" TV distance or they just prefer it that way wich is the surprising part i guess, you would expects devs to have the more "nerdy" taste.

Last edited:
Didn't need reviews to tell me a remaster of the SRPG's grandaddy was going to be great, my physical copy arrives tomorrow, will dig in *real* deep when I'm done with God of War 👌

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Glad for those that'll enjoy it but man, with those awful looking sprites I'd rather play the original on a PS Vita.

TLZ

Banned
I'm surprised @Spukc hasn't made an appearance yet to let us know how he feels about remakes and remasters.
Open Door Seinfeld GIF by HULU

i probably should buy this for switch

is this a remaster of the tactics ogre on gba? thats the one I have

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Yup! FFT still can't be topped imo.

I think they both suffer from the same problem - weak final acts. Matsuno is a genius at world building and setting up conflict, but can't resolve very well. I hate the final area of this game.

Synless

I still can’t figure out what version I want… Switch or PS5.

I have the psp version so really I have a portable version already and I kind of want trophies. But god damn if I don’t want it on my switch, I won’t do both before someone posts that gif.

I need to see how it looks blown up on 4k tv.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I launched it and played about an hour on my Steam Deck. It looks and runs great. The voice acting is something to get use to. I’m so use to adding my own interpretation of how the character would sound. Some characters I was far off. They sound nothing like I had imagined.

Shifty1897

I still can’t figure out what version I want… Switch or PS5.

I have the psp version so really I have a portable version already and I kind of want trophies. But god damn if I don’t want it on my switch, I won’t do both before someone posts that gif.

I need to see how it looks blown up on 4k tv.
I got it on PS5 for the trophies, but I think the sprite smoothing is less noticeable on the small Switch screen.
One recommendation, wherever you play it, play it with headphones on. The remastered orchestral soundtrack and the fantastic voice acting make this game a delight for the ears.

mcjmetroid

As a fan of this genre. Ive began playing this and yes.. some are complaining about the filters but I think the issue is the filters they use are not as good as any emulator ones I've seen.. it's always an issue I have with game collections . It's not sharp enough at all and looks a slight bit blurry, especially when zoomed in. This is the switch version I'm talking about. Don't get me wrong it's much better looking than triangle strategy which was extremely blurry.

I'm slowly getting into it. It's a little slow on the battle side. God I wish there was a button to confirm the " end turn" instead of having right the right d pad 2 times. Or is there?

Also any tips for dealing with elavated units? I'm sure purists know exactly what mission I'm on haha

Last edited:

Shifty1897

God I wish there was a button to confirm the " end turn" instead of having right the right d pad 2 times. Or is there?

Also any tips for dealing with elavated units? I'm sure purists know exactly what mission I'm on haha
No button to automatically end the turn, unfortunately.

For that mission, I recommend just training until you hit the level cap, and then making a beeline with all your characters to the target. You only have to take him out, killing his minions will just make him summon more. If a character dies just leave them and try to finish the fight in 3 turns.

Needlecrash

No button to automatically end the turn, unfortunately.

For that mission, I recommend just training until you hit the level cap, and then making a beeline with all your characters to the target. You only have to take him out, killing his minions will just make him summon more. If a character dies just leave them and try to finish the fight in 3 turns.
I didn't hit the cap but I barely beat his ass today.

Top Bottom