• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taika Waititi to write and direct new Star Wars film

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Non white queer brown man gets the gold Mario star in Hollywood.

His movies are good but we already had Han Solo as "Haha funny meme movie with serious plot." Unless he finally goes in hard then I'll shut the fuck up and be proven wrong.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Cool. I like his work so I’ll look forward to this. Although I do wish so many people weren’t getting tied down into franchises and could produce original works instead. But that’s just how things are now.

Taika did just make Jojo Rabbit.
:)

He ain't tied down.

Kadayi

Banned
Both are passes from me. I just can't stand Taika's style humour outside of the vampire flick.

Agreed. Enjoyed What we do in the Shadows, but I think he's a bit too comedic when it comes to his direction in other titles. Thor: Ragnarok was played for laughs ala GoTG, but it didn't necessarily sit right with the actual events taking place (seeing your homeworld get annihilated) and his pacing is pretty awful. The last episode of the Mandalorian was a catastrophic failure of premise (we are in imminent danger and we have to escape) bizarre contrivance (An impenetrable sewer grate is in the Cantina wall) a huge interlude where a new suit of armour is made (aren't they being hunted?) and the worlds slowest tunnel exit. :messenger_expressionless:

GreyHorace

I really should watch What we do in the Shadows and Jojo Rabbit. I've only seen Thor Ragnarok and the season finale of The Mandalorian to get a feel of Taika as a director, but I like what I've seen. His humor is definitely off the wall but I think he manages to incorporate it seamlessly with the action and drama, unlike Joss Whedon. A lot of people seem to forget that the original Star Wars had a lot of humor in it (mostly delivered by Han Solo).

Having Taika direct a new movie hopefully is the right direction. I trust him more than Rian Johnson.

Last edited:
Good news.

I re-watched The Last Jedi last night..... check out the idiotic deleted scenes to know they were making it up as they went.

Please make a fun well structured movie without any 'relevant to our times' messages. It's in a Galaxy, Far, Far, Away after all.

ROTJ was basically Lucas attempting to comment on America in Vietnam, and the prequels on his overall dissatisfaction with congress.

Star Wars has been a political vehicle since the beginning.

Last edited:
So Thor in Star Wars crossover confirmed?

giphy.gif

I really should watch What we do in the Shadows and Jojo Rabbit. I've only seen Thor Ragnarok and the season finale of The Mandalorian to get a feel of Taika as a director, but I like what I've seen. His humor is definitely off the wall but I think he manages to incorporate it seamlessly with the action and drama, unlike Joss Whedon. A lot of people seem to forget that the original Star Wars had a lot of humor in it (mostly delivered by Han Solo).

Having Taika direct a new movie hopefully is the right direction. I trust him more than Rian Johnson.

“Boy” and “Hunt for the Wilderpeople“ are probably my two favorite Waititi films

#Phonepunk#

Banned
ROTJ was basically Lucas attempting to comment on America in Vietnam, and the prequels on his overall dissatisfaction with congress.

Star Wars has been a political vehicle since the beginning.
indeed. Star Wars itself grew out of Lucas being the director of Apocalypse Now (with Coppola producing). the Ewoks of 1981's ROTJ were more or less a repackaged version of the Wookie planet idea he had in one of the early drafts, where the Jedis fought alongside Wookies. this ideas wouldn't see the light of day until 2005's ROTS.

however there is a big difference between that and what is going on now. George Lucas's generation knew people that fought and died in these wars. George Lucas was even drafted to go to Vietnam, though his diabetes gave him a medical excuse. there were draft lotteries until 1973, when the first drafts of SW were finished. so the war was a very personal thing for a lot of young Americans. this is why it shows up so much in art of the era.

does JJ or Rian Johnson or Gareth Edwards, or even Taika Waititi, do any of those people know soldiers, do they know people fighting in wars now? i suspect not. they are largely liberal Hollywood people that went to art school. to them the war is some distant thing we can blame on Republicans. or capitalists. this is why their movies don't say anything about war aside from some gender virtue signalling (the Holdo suplot being fam fisted male feminist bs) and empty nihilism like "selling weapons to both sides" and "the good guys and bad guys are more or less the same". modern SW doesn't have anything coherent to say.

maybe Taika will do a good job here, he can certainly make an entertaining thing. however nothing he has done has reached above that for me. it'll be interesting to see what he comes up with.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
indeed. Star Wars itself grew out of Lucas being the director of Apocalypse Now (with Coppola producing). the Ewoks of 1981's ROTJ were more or less a repackaged version of the Wookie planet idea he had in one of the early drafts, where the Jedis fought alongside Wookies. this ideas wouldn't see the light of day until 2005's ROTS.

however there is a big difference between that and what is going on now. George Lucas's generation knew people that fought and died in these wars. George Lucas was even drafted to go to Vietnam, though his diabetes gave him a medical excuse. so the war was a very personal thing for a lot of young Americans. this is why it shows up so much in art of the era.

does JJ or Rian Johnson or Gareth Edwards, or even Taika Waititi, do any of those people know soliders, do they know people fighting in wars now? i suspect not. they are largely liberal Hollywood people that went to art school. the war is some distant thing we can blame on Republicans. this is why their movies don't say anything about war aside from some gender virtue signalling (the Holdo suplot being fam fisted male feminist bs) and empty nihilism like "selling weapons to both sides", which ultimately destroys what little meaning the ST managed to stumble upon.

maybe Taika will do a good job here, he can certainly make an entertaining thing. however nothing he has done has reached above that for me. it'll be interesting to see what he comes up with.

George Lucas did not direct Apocalypse Now.

Weiji

Banned
“The Prisoner” is the best episode.

Which is interesting to me because I’ve never even heard of Rick Famuyiwa, and none of his movies look even slightly interesting to me.

Non white queer brown man gets the gold Mario star in Hollywood.

His movies are good but we already had Han Solo as "Haha funny meme movie with serious plot." Unless he finally goes in hard then I'll shut the fuck up and be proven wrong.

why does him being part Maori / New Zealander make a fucking difference?
And they say the left play the race card too much.

I like Taika. He’s funny. People saying they don’t want a comedic Star Wars are fucking stupid, they’ve had c3po running around making jokes since the first one. He’s fine.

Tesseract

Banned
i'd like to see what happens when you rein in taika's idiosyncratic behavior

they say limitation breeds creativity

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Does that means Star Wars gonna be a cheesy movie, where every character tries to make fun of each other or make jokes?

Not sure I like this...but hey, it's not like I'm caring about Disney Stars Wars. Sooner of later they gonna make a Frozen attitude out of Star Wars anyway.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I wish they kind of did a short series from the perspective inside the empire. For the generals and troops. Would be interesting.

Top Bottom