• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taiko no Tatsujin: The Drum Master... Where is the love?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Taiko no Tatsujin: The Drum Master was released for PS4 and Switch a while ago, recently for PC and Xbox, now is also on GamePass, and I can't see people talking. And where is the official drum set that works for both?

I love the game since the PS2 days. Never had the drums, but I wanna be one of those crazy guys that has high combos - you can't do it with the controller

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Played it on Game Pass on a lark because it looked very "Japanese".

Loved the music, but the game had almost no depth. Encountered quite a few bugs on Xbox. I was hoping a modern rhythm game could take the place of my usual Rock Band (which feels like it's in a nursing home these days), but sadly this game isn't it.

It's forgiving which makes it fun and the acid trip characters all over the screen make the game seem more hectic than it actually is. It's about as simple as a rhythm game gets and there isn't a whole lot of content.

I'm playing it with a remapped paddle controller on my lap with alternate duplicate buttons to get some really big numbers. When I do a drumroll I suspect it looks like I'm furiously masturbating so I make sure the living room window is wide open when I play.

Great game, and yes, it doesn’t get enough love.

I’m personally not a fan of some of the pop Japanese songs or whatever they are but the classical songs and movie theme songs are good fun to play.

Esca

Always wanted to try but never saw the drums for it so haven't played. I can see it being fun, especially high

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Can you play it without a drum?
You can play it with just a standard controller. But that definitely takes some of the fun out of the game, as now you're just button mashing.

Impotaku

LOL how the fuck you do that with xbox controller!!
lol you don't, a lot of the hardest songs rely on you using an actual drum been able to roll & keep the momentum so you are no longer just actively hitting notes one at a time but you adjust the time of the bounces of the drumsticks. Even the official hori drum doesn't allow you to roll that much even if you mod one.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
10171562.0.gif

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It’s good multiplayer fun on Switch. The Joycons are completely unreliable unless you have wrists of literal steel, but that’s perfect - the fun is in the mayhem. And the most Japanese songs are too funny.

baphomet

Yeah totally no challenge at all, hmm makes me think you haven't played any of it.

I've played it plenty of times.

It's a 2 button baby rhythm game. And given I've played drums for 30 some years, when I can immediately clear the hardest possible opening song with ease then it's too easy.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
the beatmaps are crap
Outdated in every possible fucking way compared to already dead and outdated music games

CS Lurker

I play it on switch with the touchscreen. I'm not good, but I like it anyway. I just wish the anime songs were full version rather than anime version. I also played it on xbox and PC because of the game pass but there are slowdowns and latency; what a bad port for a simple game.

Impotaku

I've played it plenty of times.

It's a 2 button baby rhythm game. And given I've played drums for 30 some years, when I can immediately clear the hardest possible opening song with ease then it's too easy.
Lol suuuuure you can, I bet everyone clapped too.

Impotaku

The rhythm game for babies that’s so easy that Bandai Namco have world championship tournaments playing the hardest possible songs and even the Japanese expert players that have been playing for years struggle.

In the ranking of all the arcade rhythm games out there, and I have played a fuckload. Sure taiko is one of the easier to pick up out of them but like with a lot of them once you start to play on expert & beyond the real challenge begins.

Feel free to post your score rankings on the hardest difficulty baphomet so we can all see how pro you are. Also tell us which version your playing too. Because talk is cheap and your statement is laughable with no evidence to back up your claim.

Last edited:

chaseroni

I played a few hours of this with a friend last week.
Is there a way to actually choose songs when playing together online??
It seemed to be just playing random songs without our input.

Impotaku

I played a few hours of this with a friend last week.
Is there a way to actually choose songs when playing together online??
It seemed to be just playing random songs without our input.
Which version are you playing? I know on switch you can do private online matches and you both can take turns selecting songs from your list. Best thing is both players can use the same song list whoever sets up the private match room is whose song list you get to use in my case I have all the dlc and songs in switch version so my friend could choose songs he hadn’t purchased in his version. Although not all songs can be played online there’s quite a few that don’t appear in list must be a licensing thing.

Not sure how it works in Xbox version.

chaseroni

Which version are you playing? I know on switch you can do private online matches and you both can take turns selecting songs from your list. Best thing is both players can use the same song list whoever sets up the private match room is whose song list you get to use in my case I have all the dlc and songs in switch version so my friend could choose songs he hadn’t purchased in his version. Although not all songs can be played online there’s quite a few that don’t appear in list must be a licensing thing.

Not sure how it works in Xbox version.
Playing the PC version, maybe I missed something but yeah that's what I was hoping it would be like. Thanks

Impotaku

Opening song on extreme, exactly like i said. Also on a controller.
cFsjJ7o.jpeg
4eeWcOq.jpg

Erm homura is only a 4 star difficulty song in extreme and it's also reallly reeeeally slow too, hardly a skill tester. You said you were doing the hardest songs the hardest songs are 9 & 10 stars in difficulty. Even in the Anime section there's loads of songs that are 7 & 8 star difficulty in extreme so homura is hardly the hardest song if you can ace even the 8 star songs in extreme i'll be impressed as that's my current skill wall, my limit is 8 stars.

might have an unfair advantage though as i have a selection of controllers.
BEp4EZ7.jpg

tGCfbAU.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom