• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take an early look at PlayStation VR2’s user experience, including see-through view, broadcasting options, and more.

Ezekiel_

Banned
Chefs Kiss Yummy In My Tummy GIF by Nick Jonas

Tripolygon

Banned
Sony has their own patent on that

hlm666

Facebook has there's filed on that site aswell. They sound pretty close except sony avoids using the word VR, they both reference the HMD. User/VR vs Player/Game was all that was needed to fool the teacher lol.

Reallink

I don't understand how you would have to move your head. 4000x2040 pixels is the resolution you see at every moment. If you move the screen a little farther in you'd get more than 1080p easily

I dont understand it either. I would think the referenced size of the virtual screen would make a difference. E.g simulating an 100 feet screen to a 100 inch screen.
While someone smarter than me can calculate the exact PPD of a likely 35-45 FOV virtual cinema screen, it's not really necessary. Each eye is 2K x 2K with an ~90 degree FOV. Half that to a 45 degree virtual screen and you're looking at roughly 1K x 1K. VR displays are still comically low res, resolution has only barely moved in a decade.

Tripolygon

Banned
Facebook has there's filed on that site aswell. They sound pretty close except sony avoids using the word VR, they both reference the HMD. User/VR vs Player/Game was all that was needed to fool the teacher lol.
No, you can't patent an idea, you can patent a method of doing something. The word VR and AR is used within the patent and HMD is just a broad term for any headset you wear on your head which makes it broad enough to cover both AR and VR headsets.

ManaByte

rift s has a cable and uses the same setup. Mobile is reference to the person/user being mobile/moving.

They are about to drop a video that's gonna be very much like this and the quest versions of it, which Meta has a patent on. We all know how petty zuck the fuck is.

Meta's lawyers:
Happy Chris Pratt GIF

Reallink

Any such patents would be instantly nullified in court by prior art, which belongs to Valve with their Chaperone system that predates everyone else by several years. The OG Vive in 2016 even had Stereo cameras for pass through and rudimentary depth sensing.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Any such patents would be instantly nullified in court by prior art, which belongs to Valve with their Chaperone system.
Again, you can't patent a general idea, you can patent a method of doing something.

Valve's Chaperone Patent filed Nov 2015

Sixense Entertainment, Inc Patent on the same thing Filed July 2015

Prototype Sony HMD with pass through camera from 2013 which predates OG Vive.

Last edited:

reksveks

Yeah, people need to kinda remember that parents are useless until you can get companies or the courts to recognise the fact that other companies are infringing on your patents.

I suspect no one big here is taking anyone to court. There isn't the same level of animosity here as the big cases currently going around e.g. Ericsson vs Apple.

Yeah, people need to kinda remember that parents are useless until you can get companies or the courts to recognise the fact that other companies are infringing on your patents.

I suspect no one big here is taking anyone to court. There isn't the same level of animosity here as the big cases currently going around e.g. Ericsson vs Apple.
Speak for yourself - mine were pretty useful.

Reallink

Again, you can't patent a general idea, you can patent a method of doing something.

Valve's Chaperone Patent filed Nov 2015

Sixense Entertainment, Inc Patent on the same thing Filed July 2015
Which is why no one has or ever will attempt to challenge anyone else in court over this. Being in violation of some aspect of several other critical function patents is guaranteed. Patents are stockpiled as litigation deterrents.

P.S. Valve worked with Sixense during SteamVR development as they were vying to be a VR controller hardware partner. Internally this system no doubt predates both of their filing dates by a probable year or more.

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
"Content in Cinematic Mode will be displayed in 1920×1080 HDR", I'll be avoiding watching films on this then no biggie 😒. Am I right in thinking the PS5 has a walk around to surf the Internet? I would like to go online with this headset.

Matt_Fox

Flat 4K content will be downsampled to the virtual 1080p screen. It should look a bit better than native 1080p content, like in real TVs.

I'm not so sure about that. I've seen AV forum posts that found 4K UHD discs look significantly worse than Blu Ray on a 1080p screen, because they've been downconverted whilst Blu Rays are native.

Here's an example on Highdefdigest https://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/4k-ultrahd-on-a-1080p-display/

It's disappointing that the 'cinema mode' on PSVR2 is stuck in the 1080p era, it's not one for those that appreciate a high level of presentation.

Elginer

Is there going to be a way to watch vr video files with this thing that doesn’t include that crap app that asked for a sub on the PS4? I’m asking for science 👀

Crayon

God damn this is the one thing I am dying to get. Like I really want a new 7000 series card and I'm eagerly awaiting that, but that really no big deal in comparison. I'm on the edge of my seat for psvr 2.

I like having a hardware button for the pass through. At first glance, I saw just the on screen option and I thought they neglected to put a button.

Reallink

Interesting move. I don't think it has much to do with the supply chain but just the billions Meta are investing.

It would be interesting to the PSVR2 price now.

LOL. No one is going to pay a $100 price hike for a 2 year old product. They legit torpedoed themselves, fractionalized their sales. I understand the reasoning, but this is a loss they've got to eat until the Quest 3, where they can price hike it under a guise of spec/technological advances. Imagine the shitstorm of a PS5 or SX increase to $650, that's literally what they're trying. Actually it's much worse, cause the VR market isn't anywhere near as established as the console space.

Last edited:

sendit

Interesting move. I don't think it has much to do with the supply chain but just the billions Meta are investing.

It would be interesting to the PSVR2 price now.

Lol....that seems ass backwards. Quest 2 is using ancient tech.

Rudius

I'm not so sure about that. I've seen AV forum posts that found 4K UHD discs look significantly worse than Blu Ray on a 1080p screen, because they've been downconverted whilst Blu Rays are native.

Here's an example on Highdefdigest https://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/4k-ultrahd-on-a-1080p-display/

It's disappointing that the 'cinema mode' on PSVR2 is stuck in the 1080p era, it's not one for those that appreciate a high level of presentation.
Downsampling improves the image of games, so I thought it would do the same to movies.

A 1080p virtual screen is about the best you can expect for the ~4K panels of PSVR2. To create a 4K virtual screen 8K panels would be needed, or thereabouts.

That said, I expect the virtual cinema to be good with PSVR2, since it has Oled and HDR. Flat games at 1080p/120fps should be ideal for it too.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

From the article - "I also need to be very clear that these findings are only for downconverting HDR to SDR."

My guess is that a 4k downscale to 1080p in a completely darkened headset with a pseudo distance to the 'screen' will look pretty amazing.

Ceadeus

I'd keep it as there are still games that are Quest exclusive or simply won't come to PSVR2.

Unless you really don't use it then by all means.
Yeah population one and RE4 are pretty neat. Side quest is cool too for Half Life, quake 2 etc

aclar00

We need to know about backwards compatibility....if they manager to transition move controllers to the Sense controllers or whatever theyre called and the outside to inside out tracking.... i want to play some games with a bit less screen door effect

Fredrik

I still remember the launch price of the PS3 and I haven't given Sony the benefit of the doubt since. I genuinely wouldn't bat an eye if they bundled it for $1000+.
The fun thing with the PS3 is that in the end it was still cheaper than the Xbox 360 if you added the cost of Xbox Live Gold for Xbox since online was free on PS3. 🙃

Anyhow, we’ll see what happens but I think they’ll aim as low as they possibly can to make the entry point lower for the mainstream. They might have a highend bundle though, with a disc PS5, camera, headphones. But they’ll market it with a lowend bundle with a digital PS5, possibly without camera and headphones.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

dayum-meme.gif

Welp, I know which next gen console I'm buying first. PS5 bitcheeeeesss!! And it's pretty much all because of VR. The first generation of VR was amazing, and I feel lucky to have been along for the ride. I can't wait to see what the 2nd gen has in store. And then you want to talk about 3rd and 4th generation VR, fahgedda'boutit

Too bad I won't be able to get one for another year or two, at best :( but still, one day!

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Good they have some of the same convenient features as Quest 2. Quest 2 also has it so you can see a VR version of the controllers and their position. It also has a quick 'Stationary Boundary' circle that's about 6ft in diameter and works well for tight spaces without having to draw in a Roomscale Boundary.

Top Bottom