• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Arise aleady a triumph on PC

Javthusiast

Banned
saw there was a demo, maybe should try it out.
do it jewish GIF

KàIRóS

I guess I'm contributing to that stat lol since I bought it for PC, that's a first for me, since I bought all other Tales for consoles, I don't regret my choice though.

Graciaus

Game doesn't work for me. Can't change the resolution so it's stuck on 4k unless you play windowed. Have to wait for a patch.

Isa

Gold Member
That's good news, I hope that success is replicated across consoles as well. I loved what I've played so far, really fun to explore and fight, and the story is interesting as well. I'm also really digging the music.

ClosBSAS

55k today is over 500k copies sold. That's pretty good considering the shitty ass regional prices that puts the ppl in my country in economic alert and the shitty port.

It's def a good start and it'll sell a million for sure.

KàIRóS

55k today is over 500k copies sold. That's pretty good considering the shitty ass regional prices that puts the ppl in my country in economic alert and the shitty port.

It's def a good start and it'll sell a million for sure.

It should sell a million in Japan alone you should see the hype here it's crazy.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I just bought this and I am confused on a few things

1. There is an Artes meter? Where is that and how do I fill it up?
2. How do you fill CP?
3. How do you quickly change characters mid battle?

All pretty obtuse even with the basic tutorials. There haven't been enough battles to really even figure it out.

Mister Wolf

I just bought this and I am confused on a few things

1. There is an Artes meter? Where is that and how do I fill it up?
2. How do you fill CP?
3. How do you quickly change characters mid battle?

All pretty obtuse even with the basic tutorials. There haven't been enough battles to really even figure it out.

Arts cost skill points. It fills up slowly naturally but as you unlock the skill tree there are faster ways to restore it up make your bar larger. When you look at the your arts list it will tell you how many points it cost to do a particular at. The Arts bar should be above your health bar while you're fighting. You get Cure Points back by resting or particular items restore them. To change character mid battle you bring up the menu and there is a button that cycles between them. You cannot do it in real time. Are you using a gamepad?

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Arts cost skill points. It fills up slowly naturally but as you unlock the skill tree there are faster ways to restore it up make your bar larger. When you look at the your arts list it will tell you how many points it cost to do a particular at. The Arts bar should be above your health bar while you're fighting. You get Cure Points back by resting or particular items restore them. To change character mid battle you bring up the menu and there is a button that cycles between them. You cannot do it in real time. Are you using a gamepad?
Yes, gamepad.

Is the Artes bar the 3 dots that fill up?

Is there a need to swap characters mid battle?

Mister Wolf

Yes, gamepad.

Is the Artes bar the 3 dots that fill up?

Is there a need to swap characters mid battle?

Yes. Pick your favorite character to play with. They all play different and are viable. No real need to change unless you absolutely need something done like resurrecting a character and the A.I not doing it fast enough. Also use the system where you tell the A.I how you want them to fight. I tell the A.I to only use CP for healing when characters are below a certain HP. You can toggle between how you want the A.I to fight mid battle. There is like four A.I instructions you can have hotkeyed and toggle between during battle.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Yes. Pick your favorite character to play with. They all play different and are viable. No real need to change unless you absolutely need something done like resurrecting a character and the A.I not doing it fast enough. Also use the system where you tell the A.I how you want them to fight. I tell the A.I to only use CP for healing when characters are below a certain HP. You can toggle between how you want the A.I to fight mid battle. There is like four A.I instructions you can have hotkeyed and toggle between during battle.
Great. Thanks!

Tschumi

I took it for granted that arise would have co-op before i bought it.. oops.

It hasn't captured my attention yet, though i own it

Braag

I was planning on buying FFVII Remake on PC but after the whole ordeal with that game I went with Arise instead.
It's been pretty fun thus far.

Topher

Gold Member
I tried the demo and really it felt like every other Tales game I've played and the reviews are far better. What is different? Great story?

Graciaus

I tried the demo and really it felt like every other Tales game I've played and the reviews are far better. What is different? Great story?
Nothing is different. It doesn't have the best story or combat. First game that came out in awhile and it had marketing this time. If you enjoy the series you will like it.

If you can play it on PC I would recommend it. Fans modded the combat to what it should have been.

Doom85

Hope they use that money to hire a writer for the next one.

Yeah, just yesterday I came back to it to pick up where I had left off, but I played the first 10 hours initially and the characters/story were not grabbing me. Everything felt very standard, this honestly feels like Tales of Xillia again where they also made a bit of a graphical leap there but didn’t try that hard with the writing. Arise does feature a bigger graphical leap, but there isn’t THAT much of an advancement in terms of freedom of exploration compared to recent entries and the gameplay is usual Tales fare. Which isn’t bad for me but it’s also nothing revolutionary.

Especially frustrating as this game comes after Berseria which gave some great characters and a pretty good story with one twist I saw coming but then a few others that legit caught me off guard especially with how downright cruel they were. I feel most of my favorite Tales games (Abyss, Berseria, Vesperia, and Symphonia) had leads that weren’t typical heroes, with Abyss’ Luke starting off as a self-centered jerk, Vesperia’s Yuri being a kind person but who is willing to break any law to do what he considers the greater good, and Berseria’s Velvet not giving a shit if the antagonist possibly made the world a better place with his horrific actions and vowing to murder him no matter how many innocent people might suffer as a result. Even Symphonia’s Lloyd started off in an unexpected way with his attempts at doing good resulting in a lot of innocent people dying.

Not saying Tales games HAVE to do that, but man it wasn’t a good first impression to give the lead amnesia, the king of JRPG cliches when it comes to the lead. Also felt jarring to set the world up in such a bleak state but then give the heroes such a major victory only a few hours in, I felt if they had the rebels being forced to evacuate to the next country and always on the run constantly being pursued and only beating a Lord about 20 hours in or so would have made the threat feel more real. Instead the problem got solved with a Super Special Sword so quickly.

To be clear, I’m having a fairly good time, but man did I wish they had give the game more time with the script.

kalecsan

Banned
Yeah, just yesterday I came back to it to pick up where I had left off, but I played the first 10 hours initially and the characters/story were not grabbing me. Everything felt very standard, this honestly feels like Tales of Xillia again where they also made a bit of a graphical leap there but didn’t try that hard with the writing. Arise does feature a bigger graphical leap, but there isn’t THAT much of an advancement in terms of freedom of exploration compared to recent entries and the gameplay is usual Tales fare. Which isn’t bad for me but it’s also nothing revolutionary.

Especially frustrating as this game comes after Berseria which gave some great characters and a pretty good story with one twist I saw coming but then a few others that legit caught me off guard especially with how downright cruel they were. I feel most of my favorite Tales games (Abyss, Berseria, Vesperia, and Symphonia) had leads that weren’t typical heroes, with Abyss’ Luke starting off as a self-centered jerk, Vesperia’s Yuri being a kind person but who is willing to break any law to do what he considers the greater good, and Berseria’s Velvet not giving a shit if the antagonist possibly made the world a better place with his horrific actions and vowing to murder him no matter how many innocent people might suffer as a result. Even Symphonia’s Lloyd started off in an unexpected way with his attempts at doing good resulting in a lot of innocent people dying.

Not saying Tales games HAVE to do that, but man it wasn’t a good first impression to give the lead amnesia, the king of JRPG cliches when it comes to the lead. Also felt jarring to set the world up in such a bleak state but then give the heroes such a major victory only a few hours in, I felt if they had the rebels being forced to evacuate to the next country and always on the run constantly being pursued and only beating a Lord about 20 hours in or so would have made the threat feel more real. Instead the problem got solved with a Super Special Sword so quickly.

To be clear, I’m having a fairly good time, but man did I wish they had give the game more time with the script.
Yeah I tried them all but only liked almost the same ones as you. I recommend Tales of Innocence, best opening and amazing cast.

Top Bottom