• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

|OT| Tales of Arise |OT| Back in Our Good Graces

Xeaker

Sep 23, 2019
Playing this game right now on hard.
Beat the second Lord. I give it 6/10 for now, its OK . Battlesystem is good but Story is horrible.
And the game has XP Scaling too! :messenger_pouting:

Edit: This is not a good JRPG. I change my rating to 4/10. I beat the 4. Lord now and quitting this game now.
I never quit a JRPG before in 24 years LOL but I just can't take this game anymore.
The reviews with their 9/10 one of the Best RPGs must be new gamers who never played the good RPGs back then....

Last edited:
Reactions: GreenAlien

JayK47

Nov 2, 2019
Finished this. Just in time. It was getting old. Would have been nice to have an epilogue to see the world after beating the boss.

Overall I enjoyed it. Towards the end, I did feel under-leveled, as if I needed DLC to get through it. There are a bunch of high level enemies that are side quests, and they were around 10 levels ahead of me and I had to grind and spend a ton on items to get through them. But since I did that, the end area ended up feeling too easy and the final fights were a breeze.

The costumes are so well done. I love how many jRPGs really get into the costumes and the attention to detail. The final costumes for Alphen and Shionne were awesome and I loved Kisara's armor. The costumes were so well done, I did not feel the need to buy any DLC costumes and the story costumes were more than enough.

Characters were all well done. Dohalim and Rinwell were boring at first, but they both had interesting backstories in the end.

Combat was good for a Tales game. But it did get repetitive. I only controlled Alphen and he really only had a few good moves. Most artes were so weak and only a few did any real damage.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Jul 2, 2013
Oregon
Just picked this up on PC and started playing it. Runs really smooth on my 2060 mobile gaming laptop, only a few spots I've found that have any sort of slowdown (all outside of battle, so far).

The story has already sucked me in within the first three hours. Can't wait to see how this all plays out.

Reactions: Celcius

OrochiJR

Jul 2, 2014
Vienna
I got this game gifted (PS5 version) for my birthday and will probably start it over the next few weeks (depends on when I finish Metroid Dread and Alan Wale Remastered).

What's the general consensus on where Arise ranks among the Tales of pantheon?

SantaC

Jun 11, 2004
I got this game gifted (PS5 version) for my birthday and will probably start it over the next few weeks (depends on when I finish Metroid Dread and Alan Wale Remastered).

What's the general consensus on where Arise ranks among the Tales of pantheon?
Starts off very strong but ends very weak. Seems like a game troubled by covid.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Mar 11, 2009
I'd put this as my 2021 GOTY. Hopefully the next game in the franchise doesn't take as long to come out.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Aug 29, 2014
I just started the game on ps4. I'm liking it so far but I'm juggling like 2 other games while playing this. Visually it is a rather impressive tales game. The world does seem basic at times with the whole go down this path thing but they have definitely upgraded the visuals. The camera is a bit too close to the character.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Jul 2, 2013
Oregon
Been playing for a few weeks now. 21 hours in. Just made it to the 5th main area / got the 4th master core. Game is absolutely charming, combat is tons of fun, and the characters are likable and relatable.

I hear the ending is pretty weak, but eh I'm in it for the long haul.

GreenAlien

Jun 11, 2016
So I started this a few days ago, and despite the high ratings I'm a bit disappointed. The graphics are nice, the combat is ok.. but the story and characters.. uff.. random NPC dialogue is extremely weak and as a result the world building suffers a lot. The story feels rushed and drawn out at the same time. Yes, there are a lot of cutscenes.. but the writing isn't good.
I might sound very negativ here, but I'm still having fun with it. It's at least better than Zestiria.

Well, I'm only in the second climate zone. maybe it picks up.

Last edited:

jshackles

Jul 2, 2013
Oregon
Hit the 40 hour mark, near the end just mopping up a bunch of side quests and titles. Feels like a Tales game.

Reactions: Celcius