• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Arise |OT| Back in Our Good Graces

Valonquar

Replaying through NG+ trying to get the few trophies that gliched in my 1st playthrough. Goddamn... this game is like 85% cutscenes. LvL 100 with all equip from previous playthrough, and running past enemies I think I made it to 3rd lord in about an hour...after skipping about 200 cutscenes.

Can’t decide between the series X or ps5 version. Like the feedback on the ds5 but I swear it looks slightly better on the series x in the demo. I don’t have many games for the x. Feedback makes the game seem better though.

Last edited:

Elginer

Can’t decide between the series X or ps5 version. Like the feedback on the ds5 but I swear it looks slightly better on the series x in the demo. I don’t have many games for the x. Feedback makes the game seem better though.
Playing it on Ps5 but the Series S and X versions are damn nice too.

Kagey K

Banned
Just broke down and bought this.

Was going to wait for a BF sale or put it on my Xmas wishlist, but really want to play it.

YOLO 🤷‍♂️

Celcius

°Temp. member
Any tips on how to down enemies as Kisara? I can't seem to figure it out... is there a certain move that I need to do?
(trying to do her coliseum training)

edit: Looks like I'll need to do her boost attack when it charges it me

Last edited:

gela94

Now dumb question but can you switch characters? Also why aren't the characters show during the non fight stuff . ..

That's just asking for bloodshed.

Popular answers are Vesperia and Symphonia. Vesperia has some very strong qualities, but it's a very uneven experience and has massive quality drops. Symphonia holds up better as a whole. Abyss is the insider tip and Destiny is the old school gamers choice.

Mentioning Eternia here as the forgotten gem*

I'm personally in the Graces (f) camp, but it's certainly considered the odd one out here with some having massive issues with it. I don't.

YMMV
Abyss is one of my old favorite. It got its issue but it got some of the all star cast. IMO it is superior to Vesperia. Part of Vesperia made no sense, why on earth were we fighting Duke at the end.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Now dumb question but can you switch characters? Also why aren't the characters show during the non fight stuff . ..
By holding L1 then use directional buttons to choose which character you want to switch during the fight.
show

Lanrutcon

Having an second anime opening is interesting. Remind me of good old wild arm 2 where disc 1 and disc 2 have different opening

And suddenly the game went from a linear area to area pattern to...hi! here are 12 quests. Some are for level 32. Some are for level 66. Also, here are several mini dungeons of varying levels. Go crazy.

I wish the entire game was like this. It reminds me of FFXII now. I am super invested.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I just encountered the craziest sidequest I've ever encountered in a Tales of game:

I beat 5 lv 90-something bosses back to back and THEN all 5 show up at the same time and I got stomped. I thought maybe it was one of those unwinnable fights on purpose, but then when I lost then I got a game over. No experience points to show for all that fighting :(

Hey, I tried some previous tales games and combat kind of felt loose and mashy to me, I never really clicked with it.

People are saying the game is a big improvement in many ways, does combat feel overhauled/different?

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
damn, I never thought I would put 15 hours into this game. Tales used to be (for me) a game you'd play until one of the heavy hitters came out. Now, it's one of them.

TheMan

It's taking a while to get a hang of the controls. They must have held a contest between the designers to see who could come up with the weirdest, most unintuitive shit they could think of. THEN, they decided that that would allow you to rebind ONLY the battle controls but not the world navigation controls. fucking dumb.

Kagey K

Banned
It's taking a while to get a hang of the controls. They must have held a contest between the designers to see who could come up with the weirdest, most unintuitive shit they could think of. THEN, they decided that that would allow you to rebind ONLY the battle controls but not the world navigation controls. fucking dumb.
Lmfao. I rebound attack and jump, and then wondered why it wouldn’t let me jump in the field. I thought maybe I could only jump during battle. 😅

At least I found this out only 2 hours in instead of 20 hours in.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just hit level 100 and
cleared all the coliseum events
Tomorrow I'll try to hunt down the remaining artifacts and see what I need to do to get the remaining skills. Then I'll probably be done for now as I'm not going to hunt down all the fishes, owls, etc...
72 hours on the clock so far and really enjoying my time with it.

Beofre playing Tales of Arise, i was thinking Neo: TWEWY is the rrpg oif the year. Tales is now better, burt of coruse I still had shit tons of fun in neo and the story and gameplay is good and the whole week 3 is heart breaking,.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Anyone got links on how to install mods/fixed for controller and NPC pop in on PC? Gonna begin my game soon,Thanks a lot!

Valonquar

Platinumed on 2nd time through in NG+ for a few glitched story trophies, and a subquest trophy I missed. Apparently there's a few sub quests that do not show up on the map menu at all and only show up when you run near their starting location.
There's one on the path towards Trench of Flames - East Side that triggers when you walk near the door there. You need a "secret key" you get from the Berg Volcano late-game for it to pop though. This is the only one I hadn't gotten before.
Skipping Custcenes it took about 3.5 hours or so the burn through the entire game at level 100 dodging all fights possible.
I enjoyed the game very much, but kinda disappointed there isn't more to do post-game like some of the other Tales games.

Teslerum

I enjoyed the game very much, but kinda disappointed there isn't more to do post-game like some of the other Tales games.
Yeah, postgame is quite meh. I also don't like the removal/replacement of the grade shop. Always thought it was quite a unique and fun way to approach NG+. Now its just *collect things to get bonus*.

That said, Arise makes up for it by having the focus on the main game. Bigger focus on post-game can be left for a future Tales.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I was pretty pumped for this based on some trailers, but having never played a Tales game before I tried the demo and the combat just didn't jive with me.

I thought it was going to be more of a free ranging action RPG combat wise. The forced lock on felt super weird and clunky. Sometimes i just want to hit the guy next to me without having to toggle over a lock on selector.

Anyone else feel this way but get used to it? I still really want to play it I just dont want to regret the purchase if I cant adjust.

Last edited:
I was pretty pumped for this based on some trailers, but having never played a Tales game before I tried the demo and the combat just didn't jive with me.

I thought it was going to be more of a free ranging action RPG combat wise. The forced lock on felt super weird and clunky. Sometimes i just want to hit the guy next to me without having to toggle over a lock on selector.

Anyone else feel this way but get used to it? I still really want to play it I just dont want to regret the purchase if I cant adjust.
to us tales player it feel naturally. If you want sometyhig more free range you would like Nier automata more.

SkylineRKR

The lock on is bad but generally you can combo anything. Rinwell's Boost attack hits the whole screen so you don't even need to use L1 there.

Does anyone have some ideas what the best accessory setups are? I think on Shionne and Dohalim its anything CP related, Decrease Aggro, magic cast time and some other stuff. And on melee fighters counter attack damage, Alertness probably. It seems Alphen's Boost Attack is all purpose, it downs everything. So a BG 8% would sound good on him also I guess. I'm not at end game yet so I probably don't have the best accessories yet.

Last edited:
I hate that slime boss.

You know the one.

I am seething right now. Got it down to 5% health while 14 levels lower than it.

It‘s definitely one of the first ‘wake-up‘ bosses. The thing I posted earlier is that the AI, can’t figure how to dodge more than one enemy. So having a boss in the mix of a bunch of adds makes the AI unable to evade almost anything from the boss even if you played flawlessly.

If you have everyone charged with a boost attack ready at the start though you can clear the adds pretty damn fast, and back up for the next off damaging the boss.

Going forward you might want to save scum before anything appearing to be a boss if you’re even slightly unsure of your chances (there is an escape option but sometimes it doesn’t let you) unless you like going back to lose your items and grind for stuff back and end up over leveled 😜.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Platinumed on 2nd time through in NG+ for a few glitched story trophies, and a subquest trophy I missed. Apparently there's a few sub quests that do not show up on the map menu at all and only show up when you run near their starting location.
There's one on the path towards Trench of Flames - East Side that triggers when you walk near the door there. You need a "secret key" you get from the Berg Volcano late-game for it to pop though. This is the only one I hadn't gotten before.
Skipping Custcenes it took about 3.5 hours or so the burn through the entire game at level 100 dodging all fights possible.

A JRPG you can finish in 3.5hours? I was expecting a huge sprawling adventure. I know you rushed to do it in that time but damn, I cant think of another JRPG you could do that fast (i suspect im about to be proven wrong by numerous angry weebs now 🤣🤣)

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’m two trophies away from the platinum at this point so I guess I need to get good at this fishing mini game lol. 44 different types of fish, oof

Last edited:

KàIRóS

The forced lock on felt super weird and clunky. Sometimes i just want to hit the guy next to me without having to toggle over a lock on selector.

Change the control to Manual, you're playing on Semi Auto, you will be able to change the direction of your attacks that way.

EDIT: Go into the battle menu and change this option, you will see Semi-Auto in your game change it to Manual.

MfkujQK.jpg

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
A JRPG you can finish in 3.5hours? I was expecting a huge sprawling adventure. I know you rushed to do it in that time but damn, I cant think of another JRPG you could do that fast (i suspect im about to be proven wrong by numerous angry weebs now 🤣🤣)
Pretty sure you can run through Blue Dragon about that quickly on new game + too. 😅

Teslerum

Skip every cutscene and dialog, avoid every encounter (which NG+ bonuses allow you to). You could beat most jrpgs in less than 10 hours that way. Just run to every objective.

Not angry or a weeb btw.

Last edited:

SantaC

Great game, not liking the constant super serious tone though. I am missing the standard Tales comedy moments.

Also wish Go shiina was making the music.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So FF7 remake was complete garbage. Anyone else hate the remake but like this?
I didn't hate FFVIIR, I personally enjoyed my time with the game but I would say I'm enjoying Arise more, especially when it comes to its combat.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Im near the start, anyone else say ballsack in their head every time someone mentions the first boss? 🤣🤣
Lol yeah that’s how I heard it, especially since I turned subtitles off. Also I swear the opening song says “I WANT TO FEEL YOUR HAIR RIGHT NOW.” Maybe it was written by that creepy D&D streaming guy.

DarthPablo

Neo Member
10 hours in, and 3rd just officially joined the party. Tales games for me have been hit or miss, however I’m really liking Arise thus far. The OST is something else, and it looks real pretty on that PS5.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished getting all of the Steam achievements.
I finally got the hang of fishing and enjoy it now.
It ended up taking me
hours to do everything.

I also really appreciate how well they support the DualShock 4 out of the box including vibration feedback.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Hey, I better prepare for that slime boss.
Let's make some accessories.
Man, this RNG sucks.
*much later*
Hey, that was a lot of work but these came out pretty well.
Wait.
What's "transfer skills"?

Top Bottom