• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Arise - Public Demo live in NZ now (PS5 Gameplay)

rubhen925

Hey guys, the demo is live in NZ PSN right now! Here's some info:

- Install size is - 3.63 GB
- two modes (Graphics & Performance)
- graphics mode is supposedly 4K 30FPS
- Performance is 60FPS and no info on resolution. By the looks of it, it looks like 1440p. I'm no expert at testing this, but I'm sure DF or VG tech will confirm soon. PR hasn't responded on this either.
- Can play as all 6 characters in this demo
- around 1 hour first try, but with trying everyone you'll probably get around 2-3 hours with the demo.
- loading is around 1-3 seconds depending on area transitioning, camping, and combat.
- really fluid combat with button binding.
- No in game HDR, I just turned on the HDR for my PS5 as I'm using a HDR TV. Helps with making the already colorful world even more vibrant, but it may vary for you (HDR TVs always vary)

If there's anything else I'll add it here.

PS5 Performance mode gameplay:

Full Demo with all Characters:

Update:

- There is a secret boss that shows up when you finish the final boss in the demo. I got it in my first run with Alphen, but it hasn't shown up after that. Asked other YouTubers as well. No one really knows the spawn conditions lol. If you know let me know so I can update the thread haha

Last edited:

Aion002

Seems cool! But... Lots of black screens eh...

Hopefully they will speed them up on the launch!

Also, I was hoping that they would tone down the screaming... Multiple characters screaming their magical incantations at the same time was always an annoying part from Tales of... And apparently still is.

BlakeofT

I thought I could change my location to NZ on my xbox and I'd be able to download the demo. Hasn't worked for me so far.

Edit: I was able to find the demo. It doesn't come up when you search for the games title. I had to go to the demos section and it was the first one listed there.

Last edited:

Tg89

Looks solid. Hope it turns out good, Vesperia and Symphonia were my shit but haven't played any since then. Music sounds great.

sircaw

Banned
at 2:20 onwards in the video, that's so damn annoying, all characters talking at once, surely it can't be like that.

other than that looks good.

cireza

Banned
Being cautious with this. Scarlet Nexus demo has me excited, but the game was a letdown. The game actually had EVERYTHING the game had to offer gameplay wise lol...

Going to try it nonetheless.

Last edited:

Elios83

This is the first game in the series that catches my interest since Vesperia.
I hope it's great and can't wait to try the game.
September needs a good JRPG.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
at 2:20 onwards in the video, that's so damn annoying, all characters talking at once, surely it can't be like that.

other than that looks good.
Really hope we can turn the battle voices off. That shit is so annoying.

almost as bad as Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Forcing someone to listen to XC2 battles could legit count as torture. 3 party members + 3 blades just yelling shit over one another.

SkylineRKR

I stopped caring about Tales of when Zestiria came out. They started to look more and more budget. But Arise looks like a needed overhaul. It certainly looks more appealing to me than the last few ones.

Pantz

Graphics mode is real choppy on XSX. Did they not lock it to 30?

Game looks pretty. Main character's personalities and stories seem cool enough so far to sell me on it. Combat and everything else seems about expected from the series.

JimboJones

So I quickly skimmed the options menu. No options to turn of battle voices....
It's the developers artistic vision .
Japan loves that kinda shit I don't know why they don't see it as completely obnoxious must be just one of those cultural quirks🤷🏼‍♂️

It’s also on the Xbox New Zealand store for anyone interested
Yup don't even have to touch your console to get it, just snatch it from the New Zealand store site:

Gonna try it on my Series X at 2, and I wanna try it on my PS5. Can I do the same trick with the PS5 or do I need to change the locale settings on the physical system?

xion4360

trying it now.. was expecting 4K30 on graphics mode but seems to not be the case? both modes seem to target 60. UI along with game is lower resolution in framerate mode, probably 1440.

looks gorgeous so im keeping it at resolution unless theres some awful framerate at some point but no problems so far. I am playing at 120hz with VRR. also mask guy is Noctis VA.

-switched to 60 and 120hz with no VRR and BOYYY.....that sucks for people that dont have that option. whoever says VRR doesn't do anything needs to try this...its night and day. best example of VRR's worth I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Yamisan

Ritsumei2020

Report me for console warring
trying it now.. was expecting 4K30 on graphics mode but seems to not be the case? both modes seem to target 60. UI along with game is lower resolution in framerate mode, probably 1440.

looks gorgeous so im keeping it at resolution unless theres some awful framerate at some point but no problems so far. I am playing at 120hz with VRR. also mask guy is Noctis VA.

-switched to 60 and 120hz with no VRR and BOYYY.....that sucks for people that dont have that option. whoever says VRR doesn't do anything needs to try this...its night and day. best example of VRR's worth I've ever seen.

120hz lol

Im running it at 16K/244hz

I feel sorry for you lol

Aenima

Not falling for another Tales of game. Its just not for me.
The combat looks good in videos, then when i play the games is just a repetitive button mashing.

fallingdove

Oh god. I was hoping this game was going to be different but this is same old Tales with a new coat of paint.

Are JRPG writers/translators incapable of producing something without cringe? A 5 minute conversation about the bombs the character throws? Really? Not to mention, the way that the main character goes about initiating the conversation is straight up ridiculous: "What are those things you chuck out in the middle of fights?"

Yamisan

Oh god. I was hoping this game was going to be different but this is same old Tales with a new coat of paint.

Are JRPG writers/translators incapable of producing something without cringe? A 5 minute conversation about the bombs the character throws? Really? Not to mention, the way that the main character goes about initiating the conversation is straight up ridiculous: "What are those things you chuck out in the middle of fights?"
Sounds like JRPGs and Tales games aren't your thing. Why did you expect something different suddenly ? Grow up, quit bitching and move on.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sounds like JRPGs and Tales games aren't your thing. Why did you expect something different suddenly ?
Seriously, I like Tales series and expect this be Tales game, not entirely different game.....and it gonna be same with SMT5, I expecting and wanting to be SMT, not something else.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Sounds like JRPGs and Tales games aren't your thing. Why did you expect something different suddenly ?
In their defense, it's a new console gen. The game has the perception of looking a little more adult and mature, and less teenager / anime-tropish. It has the perception of being higher budget than some of the last games.

The guy just tried the demo to see how it is and posted about his expectations and impressions. I'm pretty much in the same boat in that I haven't been that into Tales in the past, but was going to try this demo when I got home precisely to see if it was an improvement or a change from past games.

Last edited:

Danjin44

In their defense, it's a new console gen. The game has the perception of looking a little more adult and mature, and less teenager / anime-tropish. It has the perception of being higher budget than some of the last games.

The guy just tried the demo to see how it is and posted about his expectations and impressions. I'm pretty much in the same boat in that I haven't been that into Tales in the past, but was going to try this demo when I got home precisely to see if it was an improvement or a change from past games.
Maybe that just me, it doesn't matter it "next gen" or not I still wanted to be Tales game with all its goofy moments that I enjoyed about the series instead of overly serious for sake of being "mature".

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Maybe that just me, it doesn't matter it "next gen" or not I still wanted to be Tales game with all its goofy moments that I enjoyed about the series instead of overly serious for sake of being "mature".
“Mature” doesn’t have to mean overly serious and edgy. Personally I was hoping for some halfway decent writing at least (silly me, this is a Tales game). Look at something like FF IX for an example of good writing that also isn’t overly serious and has a good sense of humor.

I don’t know what it is, some anime/JRPG characters just have a gift for yapping on and on while just stating and re-stating obvious things. Like the writers are getting paid by the word.

fallingdove

Sounds like JRPGs and Tales games aren't your thing. Why did you expect something different suddenly ? Grow up, quit bitching and move on.
Grow up? Sorry to trigger you, you sensitive piece of shit. JRPGs ARE actually my thing. And even if they weren't it wouldn't somehow invalidate my opinion.

Why did I expect something different? Because the Tales formula has been the same for 20+ years. The formula is low effort and it's gotten stale. As a fan of JRPGs, it's well within reason to want these developers to push some boundaries.

Yamisan

Grow up? Sorry to trigger you, you sensitive piece of shit. JRPGs ARE actually my thing. And even if they weren't it wouldn't somehow invalidate my opinion.

Why did I expect something different? Because the Tales formula has been the same for 20+ years. The formula is low effort and it's gotten stale. As a fan of JRPGs, it's well within reason to want these developers to push some boundaries.
Nice reply. You proved my point. Try again child.

Shifty1897

Watching the demo clip, it feels like something's missing from this game. I just don't feel as into the characters as I have in previous entries, like Berseria. Still going to give the demo a try, I need a reason to turn on my PS5 since I haven't played it in two months.

fallingdove

I don't think it has to be mature or overly serious. That said, for a Tales game that was trying to distinguish itself visually from previous entries, its disappointing that (from what I played) the game was so similar to the last 3 or 4 titles.

I wanted this to be more Tales of Phantasia/Destiny and less Zestiria/Graces.

Klayzer

I want an updated Tales game, not a Tales game in name only. Unsure what people expectations are. JRPG bliss this year for me.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I wanted this to be more Tales of Phantasia/Destiny
Well those games are 2D so Arise is going be similar to 3D Tales games, your expectation is unrealistic.

Because the Tales formula has been the same for 20+ years. The formula is low effort and it's gotten stale. As a fan of JRPGs, it's well within reason to want these developers to push some boundaries.
???? Aren't you contradict yourself here? Your complaining that Tales are not changing enough and yet you are asking to make more like old school Tales games.

You are not making any sense to me.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

5jx4av.jpg

Top Bottom