• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Arise Reaches the 1.5 Million Sold Milestone

ethomaz

Banned

Update with google translate.

"The other day, "Tales of Arise" has exceeded 1.5 million copies!

Commemorative illustrations of Linwell, Rowe, and Fururu, drawn by art director Minoru Iwamoto, have also arrived!

We look forward to your continued support of "Tales of Arise"!"

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
excelente-burns.gif

ethomaz

Banned
That doesn't seem like a lot, but if it was anticipated and budgeted for that, then everyone's a winner.
I do believe it is a lot for that franchise... I don't have recente numbers but look at the old ones:

TOP5 Best Selling Tales as April 2008

1.6m Tales of Symphonia
1.534m Tales of Destiny
1.431m Tales of Phantasia
1.271m Tales of Eternia
1.106m Tales of Destiny 2

Others titles that crossed 1 million after that: Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Xillia and Tales of Berseria.

And now of course Tales of Arise.

Last edited:

Amiga

I do believe it is a lot for that franchise... I don't have recente numbers but look at the old ones:

TOP5 Best Selling Tales as April 2008

1.6m Tales of Symphonia
1.534m Tales of Destiny
1.431m Tales of Phantasia
1.271m Tales of Eternia
1.106m Tales of Destiny 2

Others titles that crossed 1 million after that: Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Xillia and Tales of Berseria.

And now of course Tales of Arise.

And Arise is about to be the all time best selling tales game at full price. almost at $100 million in revenue already. And on target to surpass $200 million lifetime. I hope this encourages Namco to go to town with the franchise. Tsushima and Horizon Zero down cost about $60 million. So a similar budget would be safe and helps push the franchise even further.

blackjon24

Been a fan of the series so I am happy to see it succeed.

If the next one has pay to win elements I won’t be supporting it though, knowing that any challenge I face can be beaten with a credit card makes the game unsatisfying to me

Kacho

That doesn't seem like a lot, but if it was anticipated and budgeted for that, then everyone's a winner.
It's actually quite good for a JRPG which generally have very frontloaded sales. The game should continue to sell well over time. I think the look of the game helps with its appeal in the west.

stn

Well deserved. My first Tales game and I am loving it. Hope they stick to this style and gameplay for future entries.

VALCON 82

Thats awesome!! and at the same time i was hoping it would already be closer to, or passing, 2 mil copies sold
Damn things gonna have legs like Kisara at this rate

Belthazar

I'm very surprised at it having decent legs, Tales and JRPGs in general are usually very frontloaded. It can definitely reach 2+ million with sales. Great results and absolutely deserved.

yazenov

Good. Hopefully they get a better budget and go full next gen by ditching the last gen consoles. Looking forward to the next tales game.

ethomaz

Banned
Really enjoyed my time with game, so well deserved in my book.

let’s hope SMT5 also does well sales wise.
Without Persona in the name it is too hard to predict sales for that one.
But if I have to guess the original franchise probably won't reach the sales of the spin-off... so I will be happy if it cross 1 million.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
My gut tells me SMT5 will be the fastest selling game in the series.
How many that is exactly?

The franchise sold over 12.4 million units across several titles in 2018... and that includes a mobile F2P games that had over 5 million downloads... so it left less than 7m to all others titles.

I'm not sure what to expect.

Edit - There is a more recent figure from FY2019 and FY2020 (it didn't changed in these two fiscal years): 17.4 million drives by the huge amount of downloads from the F2P mobile game.

The last console release (2017) sold 61k units in Japan at launch.

FY2020

Sega-Atlus-Financial-IP-2020.jpg

FY2019

Sega-Financial-Atlus-IP.jpg

FY2018

Sega-Sammy-FY2018-Atlus-Sales.jpg

FY2017

Sega-Sammy-FY-2017-Series-Sales.jpg

The mobile F2P game had around 10 million downloads :D

7.2m to 17.4m... if it was not that mobile game this series should have way lower sales compared to Persona.

Last edited:
It is a great Tales game, my favorite. It came out at the right time, too. Can't wait for SMTV, that is going to take all my time when it releases. Hopefully that game will shine the brightest in its series as well!

SkylineRKR

Its the best Tales game I have played and the only one I platted.

Its not pay to win at all, its rather doable even on Hard. There are some spikes as with every Tales game, but generally you can still beat bosses if you're 10 levels lower. Especially on Normal, didn't even bother with Easy once.

As for money, its very easy to come by also. Lots of surplus mats and old equipment you can sell. Or fishing, which is rather fun, is a good source of income. Upgrading weapons was fair also, you'll always get the required mats for the latest weapons in the most recent areas. And with cooking the right bonuses you can really hoard.

Combat gets better also, I liked the light tactical layer. using Shionne boost for aerial enemies, or Rinwell to counter enemy spell charges. Its pretty cool.

Belthazar

Good. Hopefully they get a better budget and go full next gen by ditching the last gen consoles. Looking forward to the next tales game.

I doubt that, they'll probably churn out an Arise 2 with reused environments + new places like they did with Xillia. It would be crazy to not do that with a game that well received.

recursive

I am enjoying my playthrough now. Finally an improvement to the graphics and soundtrack I have been waiting for all last gen. I will say that the CP system is a bit stupid though.

lachesis

Very glad that it's doing well - as it looks quite nice.
Tales series never really grabbed me before, even though I tried several times with Phantasia, and Eternia (even got a limited edition JP box) - but somehow just didn't click with me.
But as with a lot of Bandai Namco games, I am cautiously hoping this will get released on Gamepass in a few months. :)

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's a lot for a J-RPG in the first month of its launch. It's on par with Persona 5, and better than any launch in the series history.

Keep in mind, this is when games make most of their money because they're full price. There have been Tales games like Symphonia, Verspira, and Destiny that have solid like 2 or 2.5 million, but they did it after multiple ports, re-releases, and years on the market. People picking games up on steam sales for $15 and the like.

So there's no doubt Arise is bringing in a lot more money than any Tales game so far. It also cost a lot more money, so I have no idea how that translates into profit.

Mercador

I'm playing it right now, it's good. I still think Vesperia and Symphonia were better overall but playing this at 4K is really pretty.

JayK47

I really liked both Xillias and Graces. I think having these released on PC and Steam in particular really helps with sales.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I really liked both Xillias and Graces. I think having these released on PC and Steam in particular really helps with sales.
The fact that Arise launched on 5 platforms simultaneously across all three major territories makes it pretty hard to draw a fair comparison with past titles in the series, for sure.

jm89

First tales for me and will defintley be picking up future games after arise, might pick up beseria.

I just wish they would fix the pop in, NPCs just popping really close to you can ruin some really nice areas in the game.

Cool. I did my part. It's the last tales game I bought since Abyss.

Game seems ok so far, haven't gotten very far though. Hoping the story grabs me soon, because the gameplay is really good.

Top Bottom