• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Arise Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jose92

[Membe
Easy Allies - 8.5/10

Whether this is the big Tales breakthrough or not is a matter that history will decide. This is a Tales game that hits the right spots for me, puts a lot of love into its cast and its action, and somehow manages to strike a balance between the old and the new.

Tales of Arise offers a superb blend of JRPG favourites, tight combat, and modern-day design choices. It's easily the best Tales game in years.
God is a Geek - 100

Tales of Arise is magnificent. The writing is rich and evocative, and the developers took on a major creative challenge with the themes that they decided to tackle… and did a superb job. The combat system is sharp and offers plenty of complexity, while being accessible to Tales newcomers or people just looking to experience the story. The art and aesthetics are breathtaking, and about the only issue there is a lack of a photo mode so that I could make the most of it (what the hell, Bandai Namco?). I may not have been the world's biggest fan of the Tales series previously, but this game has immediately become one of my favourite JRPGs of all time.
Digitally Downloaded - 100

For those who thirst for the epic JRPGS of old, Tales of Arise manages to live up to lofty expectations and then some.
Attack of the Fanboy - 4.5/5

Tales of Arise went above and beyond our expectations. With its picturesque landscapes instilling a real sense of adventure, it's easily one of the strongest, most cohesive Tales games to date. Dramatic cutscenes and memorable character moments help sell an intriguing story, while a satisfying combat system becomes more and more engaging as your party powers up. A fantastic, modernised journey with all the rewarding qualities of a classic JRPG.
Push Square - 90

Tales of Arise brings some needed fresh air to its beloved Action JRPG franchise while sticking faithfully to its classic formula. The renewed visuals and the more mature art-style should not alienate the fandom: at its core, this game is a very classic Tales of title, with new additions that make it an even more memorable experience.
IGN Italy - 90

With its engaging story, dark atmosphere, charming characters, and excellent combat, Tales of Arise provides an experience that feels both new and familiar at the same time, making for a game that both long-time fans and newcomers will enjoy.
wccftech - 9/10

After nearly half a decade, Tales of Arise was worth the wait as a shining new example of what the series future may hold.
RPGSite - 9/10

Tales of Arise accomplishes the rare feat of catering to its many fans while simultaneously making a compelling case for newcomers to give it a try, and it's a JRPG must-play that was more than worth the wait.
Screenrant - 4.5/5

Tales of Arise combines a stunning world told with a mix of anime, cutscenes and comic strip styled conversations. The combat is fun, flashy with customisable skills in hack 'n' slash style. While the combat can feel a little unnatural with the auto-targeting and airborne moves, once you get used to it, there are some fun fights ahead. If you don't like having to choose between ranged, casting, melee in games, you won't have to worry as Tales of Arise let's you swap in different characters as you wish, keeping combat fresh. With over 40 hours of main story, side quests and exploring , this Tales entry has plenty in terms of content.
Fextralife - 9/10

Destructoid - 8.5/10

A successful attempt to modernise and broaden the appeal of the Tales series without completely abandoning its JRPG roots.

Metro - 8/10

Tales of Arise rides the high of a brilliant battle system and a charismatic supporting cast. It's not always the smoothest ride, especially when the back half of Bandai Namco's game stumbles into interplanetary affairs and storytelling that goes for something a little more grandiose, but the combination of compelling characters and a plot that'll genuinely get you rooting for everyone involved is a sublime match.
Eurogamer - Recommended

Metacritic: 88 (31 Critic Reviews)
Opencritic: 87 (43 Critic Reviews)

saintjules

Kuranghi

Its not my sort of thing but the art style looks great, would love to see it running at 4K+ with UE4 TAA cleaning up the crusties. It looked fantastic on Series S too though so its not a necessity, I just think it'll look clean af in that state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom