• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tarantino’s “Star Trek” Aims For R-Rating?

bitbydeath

Can't believe I'm interested in a Star Trek movie!

Quentin Tarantino went in to [producer] J.J. [Abrams]’s offices and pitched him an idea for a Star Trek movie. I know a little bit about what that is, and it’s bananas. So, they are writing that as well.
I was personally delighted he was not only a Star Trek fan, but also interested in working with our cast. It’s not only a new story, but he is just one of those filmmakers that has a very unique and specific vision. And he totally utilizes the camera to tell the story… I think that Tarantino would be able to do something quite unique. So, fingers crossed that will happen. It is in the hands of Paramount. If we don’t get to make [Star Trek 4] next year with Chris Hemsworth, then that’s ok, let’s make a really good Quentin Tarantino Star Trek movie.
You shouldn’t worry that it is going to be full of obscenity and stuff. He wants an R-rating to really make those beats of consequence land. If it’s not PG, if someone gets sucked out into space, which we have all seen before, we might see them get disemboweled first…It allows some breadth…gives him some leeway to do that. To me, that was always one of the things I loved about what DeForest Kelley did. He would actually capture the horror of space. That look in his eyes of sheer terror always struck me when I was a kid.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/tarantinos-star-trek-aims-for-r-rating/

Hudo

Wait, what? Tarantino's doing Star Trek? Holy shit, I might be even more hyped for this than for the upcoming Dune movie(s). GAF, I need a moment....

jufonuk

not tag worthy
So someone is gonna say the N-word.
A bad cameo by Quentin.

Samuel L Jackson will be in this.

Christophe Waltz as some alien would be awesome

ive always thought tarantino as the most overrated director that has ever existed. hes done a few good movies but somehow is now in legendary status. especially now a lot of his newer movies have been stinkers. but i guess its such a departure from who i would expect to be directing something like star trek so im intrigued

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I am sufficiently confused and excited to see what this movie will end up like.

Considering the starfleet crew dynamic is something that should fit Tarantino's dialogue chops perfectly, him being boxed into a space setting could make for some amazing moments.

I'm very willing to give him a shot on this.

Welp those 4 random away crew members are going to get sodomized by a space gimp

I could actually see a Chris pine/karl urban r rated star trek

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I can't tell if a scene where someone is told to set phasers to stun but accidentally sets them to kill and violently gibs some alien while everyone in the crew just dialogues about the person's mistake for a few minutes would be awful or amazing.

Woo-Fu

Banned
So if you're quitting the fleet, what'll you do?

That's what I've been sitting here contemplating. First I'm gonna deliver this case to Picard. Then I'm gonna walk the universe.

What do you mean, walk the universe?

You know, like Jules in "Pulp Fiction." Just walk from planet to planet, meet people, get in adventures.

How long do you intend to walk the universe?

Until God puts me where he want me to be.

Last edited:
Everyone is focusing on cameos and violence and exploitation, but here's the most important thing: Star Trek at its best is about a bunch of people sitting around and talking. Will Tarantino be the one who finally makes a Star Trek movie that feels like Star Trek?

hecatomb

Banned
Everyone is focusing on cameos and violence and exploitation, but here's the most important thing: Star Trek at its best is about a bunch of people sitting around and talking. Will Tarantino be the one who finally makes a Star Trek movie that feels like Star Trek?
Most likely have someone arguing about a flux capacitor, and someone will tell him to stfu and only dumb asses use that and everyone knows we need a hyper ion drive.

Most likely have someone arguing about a flux capacitor, and someone will tell him to stfu and only dumb asses use that and everyone knows we need a hyper ion drive.
I'm thinking more in the vein of: what is sentience, the nature of morality, maybe even the nature of existence. There are hints of this stuff in Tarantino's other films, so I'd love his take on sci-fi.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
I'm thinking more in the vein of: what is sentience, the nature of morality, maybe even the nature of existence. There are hints of this stuff in Tarantino's other films, so I'd love his take on sci-fi.
2h7e2q.jpg

DiscoJer

Hasn't Discovery basically been R-rated?

Shrug. I'm sure he'll find dozens of classic and B sci-fi movies to rip off scenes from, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Kadayi

Banned
ive always thought tarantino as the most overrated director that has ever existed. hes done a few good movies but somehow is now in legendary status. especially now a lot of his newer movies have been stinkers. but i guess its such a departure from who i would expect to be directing something like star trek so im intrigued

I share your opinion. RD, PF, JB, KBVol1, = great. Everything since ....meh with occasional moments

I'm not so convinced about this. All I'm expecting is there to be some foot loving aliens snuck in there

nkarafo

Sure he will do some violent and raw scenes. But i doubt anyone will ever top the soul crushing teleporter accident scene.

Harlock

I hope they kill Kelvin timeline. That thing only was made because Paramount did not have the full Star Trek license.

MC Safety

I'd pay to see a conversation in Star Trek about how you don't get to become captain by picking a fight with the old captain, or how you will never get to transfer from flying the ship to chief engineer.

Xenon

At first it sounds cool but then I think it's only reason to exist is just for the novelty. It's going to be Trek warped to fit Tarantino. Yeah, I don't really want that.

PrCat88

Just make the next Star Trek into a 'Four Rooms' type film. Have Tarantino direct one segment and Robert Rodriguez direct another, and so on....

Sapiens

Ive never seen a qt film I didn’t like a lot, so I have a good feeling about this.

They should at least salvage something of all the sets and costumes from the JJ shitfests.

I usually like Tarantino movies, so I'm kinda excited, though it feels kinda weird. Hopefully it'll be better than the J. J. Abrams one. However, I'm also kind of skeptical as well, since it's Tarantino after all. Who do you think we're getting? Perhaps Sisko? Could be really interesting or it could be terrible, depending on what he does.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I don't merely have aesthetic qualms here... I have ethical ones. Even in its action films--which are universally the worst of the franchise, since it doesn't do action well--Star Trek doesn't permit violence to be portrayed with the spirit of perverse enjoyment that saturates everything Tarantino has touched. It's a rather horrific betrayal of every core value of the franchise to allow him near it... he should make a new sci-fi film, if he so wishes.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
I don't merely have aesthetic qualms here... I have ethical ones. Even in its action films--which are universally the worst of the franchise, since it doesn't do action well--Star Trek doesn't permit violence to be portrayed with the spirit of perverse enjoyment that saturates everything Tarantino has touched. It's a rather horrific betrayal of every core value of the franchise to allow him near it... he should make a new sci-fi film, if he so wishes.
Action is fine, but it has to be good. Theres just some really bad action scenes in some of the Star Trek movies. Tarantino also knows how to action, just watch Kill Bill moves. The whole scene with them blasting beastie boys music was really distracting, and took away from the action.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
really enjoyed the first reboot but the second movie left me really cold. story was lame, the callbacks to Wrath of Khan were pathetic, and it was dumb, dumb dumb. by the time Spock was just punching a guy over and over i had given up. still haven't seen the third.

a few years ago i sat through the entire series of TNG and absolutely loved it, there are so many good stories there. it should not be hard to write a good ST movie. id be down to see QT's take. tbh i can see it being far more intellectual than JJ's.

Top Bottom