• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tarantino do not want to make superhero movies, "I'm not a hired hand"

Bragr

Banned
"Just as ’60s anti-establishment auteurs rejoiced when studio musical adaptations fell out of favor, today’s filmmakers can’t wait for the day they can say that about superhero movies. The analogy works because it’s a similar chokehold.” Tarantino says.

But when can we expect the tide to turn? “The writing’s not quite on the wall yet,” he says, “the way it was in 1969 when it was, ‘Oh, my God, we just put a bunch of money into things that nobody gives a damn about anymore.’” And yet, so many auteurs have made superhero films. I ask him why he never has raised his hand for a Marvel or DC Comics flick, even though I know the answer. Sometimes it’s just fun to hear him say it. “You have to be a hired hand to do those things,” Tarantino says. “I’m not a hired hand. I’m not looking for a job.”

Last edited:

DanteFox

Were there a lot of musicals in the 60s? I want to look those up.

I looked them up:

Some bangers in there.
Mary Poppins, My Fair Lady, Music Man.

I guess in 50 years look back and say, There were some good superhero movies.
Yeah, in 50 years we will look back and say that, but I think it will be about far fewer movies than we imagine. Imo, the list will be: Spiderman 1+2 (the ones with Tobey Maguire), the Dark Knight, Infinity War + Endgame (because of how massive they were), and potentially the Snyder cut of Justice League (people will look back with more objectivity and say that this movie was actually really epic and interesting).

Kadve

Article is weirdly written. But i get it that he doesn't want to work under mandates which is fair.

But him denouncing Super hero movies in general screams of being another Alan Moore vs Modern comic books situation.

"Hey, this guy who is famous within the industry is well known for not liking the modern form of it? Lets keep pestering him about it so we can get a good reaction out of him while ignoring the fact he is just saying whatever at this point in the hope that we will finally stop pestering him about it!"

(Edit), hell the interviewer even admits that he is asking just for the sake of asking.

And yet, so many auteurs have made superhero films. I ask him why he never has raised his hand for a Marvel or DC Comics flick, even though I know the answer. Sometimes it’s just fun to hear him say it.

Last edited:

WoodyStare

jurassic park dinosaur GIF

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Superhero movies have basically replaced the action movies of the 90s and the war movie fad of the 2000s. Also, the movie adaptations of popular novels like LOTR, Narnia and HP that pretty much dominated the movie landscape in the 2000s.

They will be replaced by the next fad. The problem with the superhero movies compared to say LOTR, HP, Troy and Gladiator is that they are so poorly made. They are basically made for tv movies with a big budget, some of the worst writing and storytelling in the medium made by some of the worst filmmakers money can buy. They dont take the material seriously. They dont put in the effort to make it more than a comic book movie like Nolan did, and Snyder failed to do. THey arent aiming to set new bars in filmmaking like Spielberg and Ridley Scott did with SPR and Black Hawk Down. They are just trying to churn out movies equivalent of disney park rides.

Disney is the worst thing to happen to the movie industry. they ruined pixar, ruined star wars and have likely played a big part in ruining marvel.

Wildebeest

Superhero movies are part of the Star Wars trend, not the 80s action movie trend. Star Wars opened up a new world of kids who couldn't get enough of the franchise, to the point that toy sales became more important than ticket sales. Then the kids who couldn't get enough became man babies who couldn't get enough and wanted to live in the dumb film.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yeah, in 50 years we will look back and say that, but I think it will be about far fewer movies than we imagine. Imo, the list will be: Spiderman 1+2 (the ones with Tobey Maguire), the Dark Knight, Infinity War + Endgame (because of how massive they were), and potentially the Snyder cut of Justice League (people will look back with more objectivity and say that this movie was actually really epic and interesting).

Aha ha.

No. No. Not at all.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm telling you guys the next fad is anime/game adaptations. 1 billion box office Gundam movie with Emma Stone & Sam Rockwell is going to be a thing. You'll see.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Kill Bill was a superhero film, can't deny that.
No it wasn’t. People being exceptional makes them interesting and worth writing stories about. The protagonist was exceptional, but she didn’t have super powers. She was shot in the head and spent time in a coma being raped until she could figure out how to move again. It’s exceptional, but it’s not “I came from another dying planet and can fly and laser beam from my eyes and reverse time”

Doom85

Kill Bill was a superhero film, can't deny that.

Funny enough, he does have a great speech about Superman. The problem is too many normies think it’s meant to be an accurate analysis. No, Bill is essentially emulating Lex Luthor in that he is incapable of comprehending why a powerful individual like Superman would “lower” himself in such a civilian identity other than some harsh criticism of humanity. It’s why Bill is equally unable to comprehend Beatrix’s desire for a normal life.

I'm telling you guys the next fad is anime/game adaptations. 1 billion box office Gundam movie with Emma Stone & Sam Rockwell is going to be a thing. You'll see.

Emma Stone playing Emma Sheen, make it happen. :messenger_winking:

Emma Stone Thumbs Up GIF

9Bnr4LF.jpg

Ionian

No it wasn’t. People being exceptional makes them interesting and worth writing stories about. The protagonist was exceptional, but she didn’t have super powers. She was shot in the head and spent time in a coma being raped until she could figure out how to move again. It’s exceptional, but it’s not “I came from another dying planet and can fly and laser beam from my eyes and reverse time”

Well I could see that point but for me I'd class her as one, you have Batman, Black Widow, Hawskeye the list goes on and on. They're classed as superheros from talent alone.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Well I could see that point but for me I'd class her as one, you have Batman, Black Widow, Hawskeye the list goes on and on. They're classed as superheros from talent alone.
The only reason I give a shit about Batman is because he doesn’t actually have super powers. I guess he’s a super hero but he has no super powers. So maybe that’s the hair I’m splitting.

I think super powers are incredibly dumb…unless you’re a Jedi, then I can be down

Ionian

The only reason I give a shit about Batman is because he doesn’t actually have super powers. I guess he’s a super hero but he has no super powers. So maybe that’s the hair I’m splitting.

I think super powers are incredibly dumb…unless you’re a Jedi, then I can be down

Kinda proves my point though. ;)

I said "superhero". Its all good though, I get what you're saying. :)

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Kinda proves my point though. ;)

I said "superhero". Its all good though, I get what you're saying. :)
Yeah you did, and there are fantastical elements for sure. But I still think almost every straight up super hero movie is dumb. Except for Batman, Batman is dope.

Miles Morales is a very pretty game on PS5.

Last edited:

Billbofet

I think he has a solid point. You can always tell a movie is a QT movie from the direction/style, et.
It's getting harder and harder to even notice who the hell directed any of the Marvel or DC product with the exception of a few - Dark Knight, Snyder (love it or hate it), Aquaman, Guardians.
You could tell me Ron Howard directed all other Marvel movies and the guy that directed music videos for Filter in the early 2000's did DC and I would believe you.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Talk about click bait in a sense. I mean, he says he likes the Marvel films, he's watching them in preparation to watch Endgame, and that he loved Thor Ragnarok. OP made it sound like QT was talking shit, when he isn't.

Doom85

I think he has a solid point. You can always tell a movie is a QT movie from the direction/style, et.
It's getting harder and harder to even notice who the hell directed any of the Marvel or DC product with the exception of a few - Dark Knight, Snyder (love it or hate it), Aquaman, Guardians.
You could tell me Ron Howard directed all other Marvel movies and the guy that directed music videos for Filter in the early 2000's did DC and I would believe you.

Dr. Strange 2 was pure Sam Raimi. Lots of editing tricks he’s known for, lots of horror moments yet also often campy, and he got pretty damn violent as much as he could with a PG-13 rating. Also, Bruce Campbell cameo.

jason10mm

Gold Member
They're not movies. They're a sign for intelligent life outside our galaxy to know we're not ready to join the Galactic Federation. Their existence places our planet at threat of demolition.
You got that backwards. Blasting MCU films into the cosmos is a giant "DON'T BOTHER WITH US, WE ARE NO THREAT" message.

It's part of a carefully coordinated defense strategy ever since the Fermi paradox was developed :p

Though now I want a Galaxy Quest type film where aliens modelled on the MCU come down and kidnap RDJ, Chris Evans, Scarjo, etc and force them into their hero roles just to illustrate how silly the tropes are within that genre.

Billbofet

Dr. Strange 2 was pure Sam Raimi. Lots of editing tricks he’s known for, lots of horror moments yet also often campy, and he got pretty damn violent as much as he could with a PG-13 rating. Also, Bruce Campbell cameo.
Totally agree! Forgot to include that one.

Bragr

Banned
Talk about click bait in a sense. I mean, he says he likes the Marvel films, he's watching them in preparation to watch Endgame, and that he loved Thor Ragnarok. OP made it sound like QT was talking shit, when he isn't.
What do you mean, you can still enjoy some superhero movies and still think they are hurting the movie industry overall.

Ionian

I must have, because I'm not seeing the connection tbh.

Well I can see what you mean but the styles are widely different due to the eras they came out. There's plenty of superhero films that are wild physical interactions and no magic so who knows, were he doing films today they might well be geared towards that even more. No doubt they're master lessons for Marvel and hugely influence any action film afterwards.

Kill Bill was so over-the-top and is far more modern. A comic sequence is even part of the main story (see where I'm going here?). Different times my friend. Sure they had superhero ones in his time but that genre was niche and relied on (dodgy) special effects and acting. Just a different time. There's an argument to be made for both no doubt.

But Kill Bill, she was a superhero IMHO and in fairness, it predates the relaunch of Marvel. Just the genre got rebranded with comic names. But that film sits snugly in that field now.

EDIT: An example apart from the comic part of the film, her punching her way out of being buried alive.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
They're gonna ruin anime too after superheroes? Please no.

YCoCg

Tarantino has already showed he can do comic stuff, his scene in Sin City is one of the best in the movie and this was back in 2005:

YCoCg

candid shot of Tarantino during the interview

sniff GIF
These kind of responses are unfair because they never take into account that these directors get ASKED by the interviewer, they don't just suddenly start on an outburst about Marvel and DC movies, the interviewer will often bring it up because just cause it's a guaranteed reaction part, and be like "Marvel and DC movies are popular and have varied directors and teams working on them, why haven't you done one yet?"

ReBurn

Gold Member
These kind of responses are unfair because they never take into account that these directors get ASKED by the interviewer, they don't just suddenly start on an outburst about Marvel and DC movies, the interviewer will often bring it up because just cause it's a guaranteed reaction part, and be like "Marvel and DC movies are popular and have varied directors and teams working on them, why haven't you done one yet?"
They say what they say. 🤷‍♂️

dr_octagon

Banned
You got that backwards. Blasting MCU films into the cosmos is a giant "DON'T BOTHER WITH US, WE ARE NO THREAT" message.

It's part of a carefully coordinated defense strategy ever since the Fermi paradox was developed :p

Though now I want a Galaxy Quest type film where aliens modelled on the MCU come down and kidnap RDJ, Chris Evans, Scarjo, etc and force them into their hero roles just to illustrate how silly the tropes are within that genre.

Top Bottom