• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tchia - Review Thread (available today on PS+ Extra)

TrebleShot

Does it have HDR on PS5? Hows thats looking compared to SDR? I presumed it wouldn't have it and if it did the colour and contrast would be all fucked up because small dev team not knowing how to make a good HDR presentation.

30fps gaming on OLED without the best motion blur imaginable:

200.gif

This reference will be funny forever to me.

I doubt it that so much as its just it being an open world game thats not made to take advantage of the PS5. So they've just cranked the resolution and some other settings to max and locked it to 30fps to save hassle. Bums I know, they'll add a 60fps mode soonish I'm sure though. Probably could run at 60 locked right now but at a resolution below 1440p and they decided to priortise IQ over motion clarity because the game doesn't really feature any intense input action that would be 10x better at 60fps.

No HDR on PS5 or PC ,

Seems to pop more and look better on PS5

StueyDuck

i really want to enjoy this game, but it just feels like the developers haven't had a single idea of their own except for the fact that its set in a place inspired by New Caledonia

it's really a hodgepodge of systems from AAA games that do it better, Windwaker aesthetic with a botw style glider, guitar playing ripped right from TLOU2, towers from AC even with the Iconic camera spin, shit even the camping is ripped from FFXV.

It really feels like the idea of the setting was chosen then they stole other games to fit around it.

quite disappointing, but hey at least it was part of a sub and I didn't need to buy it.

Subscription Services remain glorified demo services, and i'm not completely against that

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I downloaded the game. I’ll get to it after Miles Morales and RE4 remake.

I don’t care about the lack of 60fps. I’m playing Miles Morsles right now in Fidelity mode. Give me the graphics goodies and resolution any day!

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm loving every minute of it.

It's all about the journey, not the objectives. Yes, it's one fetch mission leading into the next, but they're just motivators to move across the beautiful islands and see all the sights, meet people.

It's a love letter to nature with an amazing amount of care put into it, the game has a lot of soul and you feel the love the devs have poured into this everywhere you go. And there are so many little minigames, it's crazy. Sure most of it is shallow, but who cares when it's fun and makes you feel good? You play ukelele with your friends, you sail the sea alongside an island, people on the beach are fishing, a dolphin swims alongside you, the sun sets to a beautiful sky while extremely chill guitar music plays in the background. It just feels good.

And yes, it's not a technical masterpiece but that doesn't bother me in the slightest. Surprise of the year for me so far.

and lol at the random outbursts of violence: one moment the girl transforms in a machette and slices a dude across the face. Another moment another girl casually cuts off a chicken's head and we see the headless chicken walk around squirting blood from the neck. Wtf dude

Last edited:

Leonidas

My PS+ Extra 1 year sub at $60 pays off yet again.

Too bad about 30 FPS though, will wait a few months to see if they fix that. Would love to see 1440p60.

Markio128

I’ve played the game for a couple of hours now and while it starts off pretty slow (but still charming), it opens up pretty quickly. I’ve really enjoyed it so far - being able to possess a bird is awesome for map traversal and good fun to boot. The game has a great vibe and I love the sense of adventure it provides. Genuinely surprised.

What is this game doing visually that the ps5 cant handle at 60 fps?
What's even crazier is there is a PS4 version of this game. How are you going to make a PS4 version, and not be able to do the same game at 60fps on PS5? No matter how beautiful or fun this game is, it's a true shame that it's going to be talked about alongside justified legitimate criticism regarding the technical aspects.

The performance is a bummer because otherwise the game is great.

Very soothing, relaxing and comfy, visually beautiful and a lot of neat ideas. The ukulele mechanics are insane, I'm sure a dev spent 5 years developing those.

Also: you can pet every animal and you can high five everyone you meet! And if you pet a dog or cat they follow you around! 10/10 game.
I craved in and had to download it. I can confirm everything you said, plus I can store anything I can grab inside the backpack... Which I have a dog stored for whenever I want to pet them hahaha. The game is simple but incredibly fun.

For sure. I played horizon forbidden west and god of war ragnarok at 30 fps and they were totally playable
Exactly. I did the same for Horizon before they patched the 60fps mode shimmering glitch.

I'm definitely not a big fan of going back and it obviously hurts my eyes and gives me some motion sickness if I jump right in.

But I found that if you don't play or watch anything else in 60fps the same day you boot up a 30fps game, I'll be relatively fine especially if I watch a TV show first like I said.

I suspect it's the real time physics that are weighing it down. But regardless the PS5 should definitely be able to handle that.
The game is available on PS4 as well, so I can't see the physics or graphics weighing down on PS5. It simply doesn't make sense. I saw drops in the 20s in some areas like the main city and not a single drop when I was doing the soul cannon/launch mid-air while soaring through the map. This just needs better performance overall.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I was finally able to try it and it looks absolutely gorgeous. The colors, the sunset, the reflection on the water. The artists are amazing for such a small team. The gameplay is a mix of everything but the most obvious inspiration is Zelda Windwaker with the boat. Movement is fluid and traversal is top notch. I'm in the city and you can interact with everything and climb any surface.

I didn't notice any performance issue but I do have a Sony TV with VRR and I'm not sensitive to framerate anyway. Hopefully they add a 60 mode so people can talk about something else.

Zephir

Guess I got a bug, because there's a trophy (audiophile) that didn't unlock and that's preventing me from getting the platinum.

Guess that sums up the whole experience: good heart despite flaws, pretty much the new Concrete Genie

Aenima

Started playing this yesterday, and its way more enjoyable than i was expecting. Is good to play a open world game where you can interact with alot of stuff in the eviroment for a change. Game has some cool gameplay mechanics, but after seeing most of them, it just becames an ok game. I guess with a bigger budget and a more experienced team, it could bring this game closer to a masterpiece.

No real excuse to why this game is 30fps on a PS5, other than inexperienced small dev team. Game has low poly count and basic textures, that fit the cartoony look the game is going for, but other than a great draw distance, thers nothing technicaly demanding this game is doing. Visuals can still look really pretty, mostly around water.

Last edited:

Aenima

Didn't play many console games the previous two generations I guess?
Just hyperbolic takes. The game is perfectly playable at 30fps. But when u get spoiled with most games having a 60fps mode, its kinda hard and annoying seeing a game at 30fps. Even so in Tchia the 30fps only stands out bad when you move the camera around, moving the character feels smooth, and after some time, ur brain gets used to the 30fps and ur not noticing it anymore. But a 60fps patch would be more than welcome. Im just not holding my breath on that because its a small dev team.

Last edited:

chris121580

I really enjoyed my time with the game and beat it. I want to go back and 100% it but I keep running into a bug to where the cursor stops working on the map to pin things. Also sadly I had to play it on low settings. I have a pretty high end PC and anything beyond low settings would try to overheat my PC. It’s just not optimized well for PC

Cryio

For AMD / Intel / non RTX Nvidia owners:

Game is built on UE 4.26. This means it supports UE4 TSR. Enable that in engine.ini, set rez scale somewhere between 50 to 67% and enjoy a performance boost with mostly the same visuals, similar to what DLSS/FSR2 would've done.

Aenima

Just finished the game, really nice game everyone should try it. Game has some very cool gameplay mechanics. But, in my case, the trophies was bugged, finished the game without unlocking a single trophy. Did not found any other bugs, so it will only affect the enjoyment of trophy hunters. For that and the lack of a 60fps mode, i would give it a 7/10.

Last edited:
Top Bottom