• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL 'soon' to launch new VR headset: TCL V1. 2280x2280, 90Hz, 4.5ms, 108 FOV, wireless standalone, can support TV, Tablets, PCs, and others.

1668931936390%E5%BE%AE%E4%BF%A1%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%87_20221120161003.png

At the just-concluded Nanchang World VR Industry Conference, TCL showed its latest VR all-in-one product for the first time, and announced its related strategic plan, which became the focus of the industry.
The times make heroes, take advantage of Dongfeng's TCL, why choose this opportunity to enter VR, and how do you plan to promote it next? VR Gyro and Ni Yongqing, General Manager of TCL Smart Mobile Display Product Line, conducted a discussion on TCL VR's future strategy and industry development trends.

Defined as "the fourth screen", TCL: VR is the second growth curve

On November 13th, TCL held a new VR all-in-one machine product exchange meeting at the Nanchang World VR Industry Conference, and demonstrated its first VR all-in-one machine—TCL V1 for the first time.

First of all, at the display level, TCL V1 is equipped with the highest PPI 1512 Fast-LCD display in the industry at this stage. The screen size is 2.1 inches, developed and produced by TCL Huaxing Optoelectronics, with a resolution of nearly 5K for both eyes (2280 x 2280 per eye), and the display effect is exquisite and excellent ;

In terms of optics, the Pancake optical module developed by TCL Industrial Research Institute is adopted, and the FOV can reach up to 108°;

Achieving a large field of view on a small screen is one of the current industry challenges. For example, although Quest Pro uses a 2.48-inch screen, its field of view is only 106 degrees; The high-speed Pancake lens, combined with the reasonable focal length distribution of the optical design, achieves a large FOV of 108 degrees.

In addition, TCL V1 also supports 0-700-degree diopter adjustment and binocular color VST (Video See Through color perspective), providing more possibilities for content development. In particular, the full-color VST realized by dual RGB cameras is one of the biggest difficulties.

"Including how the binocular camera chooses the angle, stacks, and positions, and how to use the algorithm to identify the depth of field after the calibration distance between the binoculars and the images of the two cameras. And further, The scanning method constructs the corresponding layers of the depth of field data, and then constructs the 3D scene. After that, it is necessary to consider reducing the bandwidth and load to control the heat dissipation of the whole machine. Extending to the back, it actually involves the heat dissipation scheme of the entire machine. It can meet its requirements, even when it includes meeting the heat dissipation scheme, what kind of method is used by active cooling components to reduce noise, and then control its overall performance. So this is a series of complex system engineering. During the dialogue, Yu Yang, head of TCL VR, made further supplements to the technical part of the whole machine. He believed that every link in the VR equipment affects the whole body, and TCL must have full-link capabilities to make a good product. .

So not only the screen capabilities in the early stage, TCL has also accumulated many years of vertical integration capabilities of the whole machine, optical-mechanical self-development capabilities, VST algorithms and 6DoF algorithms.
1wev9nxks41a1.jpg

1668931836101%E5%BE%AE%E4%BF%A1%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%87_20221120160953.png

Here are the specs that have been gathered and translated from other places and the article(s),
2280*2280 per eye resolution

90Hz 4.5ms screen latency

LCD with slightly better color gamut than index but worse than vive.

108 degrees claimed FOV. (Valve index 104-108, Quest 2 93-97, Quest Pro 95-106)

Pancake lenses with diopter adjustment for myopia, up to 7 diopters.

They claim they have some new fancy coating that makes their lenses to have less ghosting than the competition.

Automatic IPD adjustment with eye-tracking cameras.

It is a standalone headset.

The battery is on the back.

tracking cameras, 2 RGB passthrough cameras, 2280x2280 resolution, 108°fovpancake lenses, 0-700° diopter adjustment, TCL CSOT fast LCD display, refresh rate 90Hz, NTSC color gamut 70%, response time 4.5ms, 1512ppi. Available product colors: black, digital cyan, apricot, and glacial blue

For the problem of ghosting, TCL uses PBS to replace the traditional spectroscopic film, which improves the light energy utilization rate of the system.

6DoF SLAM latency is 8ms.

It supports TVs, tablets, computers and other devices connected to the same Wifi to share the same screen with one button, so that VR is no longer a closed space for one person.

No-code content creation tool "Creator". The lack of high-quality content is a major pain point in the industry, and in addition to professional PGC, the addition of UGC can quickly expand the efficiency of content production, and this is also the direction of major giants. It is understood that TCL's "Creator" will provide a complete set of content production engine solutions to meet the needs of industry users, and quickly increase the number of content.

One-drag multi-screen software. Central control is one of the core functions in industry applications. According to reports, users can use computers, tablets or head-mounted displays to control multiple VR all-in-one devices, so as to realize perspective and content viewing management in many scenarios such as education, teaching, training, and display.

TCL's strategy is usually to undercut the competition and I don't think that will change much here. Especially given their connections domestically in their home country.

Based on these specs and claimed features we are looking at potentially one of the best and most acessible headsets out there. Multiple VR sets can share the same screen based on this information.

It can be used as a standalone headset, is wirelesss, and can also support TV's Tablets, and PC's as well as other devices. 2280x2280 per eye, FOV similar to the Index, new coating for less ghosting, 90Hz, 4.5ms response, and multiple colors.

The biggest thing here is the "creator" toolset which TCL thinks will help resolve the shallow gameplay and shovelware problems in the VR space. By enabling developers to more easily create higher quality content. The Fast LCD displays which I assume is based on TCL's own tech will be great for the likely price of the headset and likely help drop the overall cost down. Leading to me repeating my hypothesis that TCL will likely undercut the competition with this headset.

Multiple headset controls through other electronics will be good for education and productivity as well, and can all be useful for group gaming and other entertainment.

They are vague on the release date and the price for now, but it's likely going to be another 1st half 2023 headset since it's unlikely they will be launching anything this later in the year. The marketing hasn't even really started yet for that to make sense. So looks like we have another headset coming in hot for 2023 most likely. I wouldn't be surprised if they match the price of the PSVR2, or maybe be about $50-$100 above at most, but given that this is TCL, they will likely be able to sell it at an affordable price as usual.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
10 years later, and not a single company has managed to create a piece of software that makes people go "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" to buy a VR device.

10 years later, and not a single company has managed to create a piece of software that makes people go "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" to buy a VR device.

Supposedly the creator tools TCK will include will deal with the as it says in the quotes "content" issues that have been impacting VR. Granted not sure if TCL will be the one to successfully do this but at least it appears they are trying.

midnightAI

The biggest thing here is the "creator" toolset which TCL helps will resolve the shallow gameplay and shovelware problems in the VR space. By enabling developers to more easily create higher quality content.
This here is some BS, no offence, shallow gameplay has nothing to do with the toolset that content is created with. Most VR games are created using either Unity or Unreal Engine and both engines are used to create amazing games and are easy to use. Shallow gameplay is on the Devs not the tools used.

This here is some BS, no offence, shallow gameplay has nothing to do with the toolset that content is created with. Most VR games are created using either Unity or Unreal Engine and both engines are used to create amazing games and are easy to use. Shallow gameplay is on the Devs not the tools used.
I feel like you're hitting the nail on the head of it but I'd like to give the devs some wiggle room for emerging tech e.g hardware, software, rendering techniques, gameplay elements that actually work with VR etc. The tools you mention are super well developed and supported but VR gaming is still in its infancy in terms of the tech and tools to produce content or even how that content plays out e.g. limitations, features, nausea inducing etc. I'm sure there's tons of devs/designers out there with ideas they just don't know how or what tool to use, if it exists even, to produce the in VR-game experience they envisage.

For example, a VR/AR escape room challenge mixing physical and virtual worlds through creative sets, actors, Mandalorian style Unreal production tech and looped into a headset all the same. It's not exactly off the shelf tech or workflows. In reality most developments mix a bunch of tools'n'tech, often numbering in the dozens or specific to staff/workstation skillsets etc.

midnightAI

I feel like you're hitting the nail on the head of it but I'd like to give the devs some wiggle room for emerging tech e.g hardware, software, rendering techniques, gameplay elements that actually work with VR etc. The tools you mention are super well developed and supported but VR gaming is still in its infancy in terms of the tech and tools to produce content or even how that content plays out e.g. limitations, features, nausea inducing etc. I'm sure there's tons of devs/designers out there with ideas they just don't know how or what tool to use, if it exists even, to produce the in VR-game experience they envisage.

For example, a VR/AR escape room challenge mixing physical and virtual worlds through creative sets, actors, Mandalorian style Unreal production tech and looped into a headset all the same. It's not exactly off the shelf tech or workflows. In reality most developments mix a bunch of tools'n'tech, often numbering in the dozens or specific to staff/workstation skillsets etc.
Very true, but my point was you can't just solve shallow gameplay no matter what tools you give developers. In fact, what TCL appear to be doing (I don't know exactly so I could be wrong) is making it easier to create even more shovelware/shallow gameplay experiences (that unfortunately is a by-product of using visual code tools such as Blueprints in my experience). I'm not saying some gems couldn't come out of it however.

Last edited:

That's the intention behind TCL tools, THEY believe it will help improve content.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It has two main problems:
1) At best 2d videos of VR content look worse than the equivilant non-VR game
2) Motion sickness when you first start using it
So they can't sell it to people by normal advertising means and it often doesn't give a good first impression when trying it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Cost is key. I wonder if there is going to be a release in the west.

diffusionx

Gold Member
That’s not true at all. As always the biggest problem is that you need to try VR before you get it. You can’t explain it and you can’t show it anywhere. But pretty much everyone who tries one can see what makes it cool.

Melon Husk

The battery is on the back.
Finally! Rotational inertia optimized design. No explosives on my face. edit: The headstrap sucks though, clone Sony's headband please.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Shallow gameplay is on the Devs not the tools used.
VR is still in that "OMG THIS IS SO CRAZY" phase so a lot of devs will capitalize on that honeymoon to make boring stuff and get away with it... that being said there are more fun games made with VR than there are shovelware stuff imo. where is the shovelware exactly?

Top Bottom