• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 becomes the first Valve game to ever receive an "Overwhelmingly Negative"

Draugoth

Gold Member
Team Fortress 2 has been review-bombed on Steam by the game's community and now has over 100,000+ negative reviews on the platform. This makes the nearly two decades old shooter the first Valve title to receive an ''overwhelmingly negative'' score on its own platform.

The game is one of the most played on Steam even 17 years after its release. But, it has been plagued with a ''bot problem'' for quite some time now which makes it completely unplayable according to some players. Cheating aimbots have become increasingly common in the TF2 game servers with no means to stop them, ruining the experience for the majority of genuine players. The fact that the issue has become so severe has compelled the Tf2 community to take action.

The surge of negative reviews of Team Fortress 2 on Steam.
tf2s-recent-reviews-have-reached-overwhelmingly-negative-v0-k7807vjw5r4d1.png

Screenshot by Pro Game Guides

The past four days have brought in over 25,000 negative reviews on Steam, the majority of which are from users with hundreds of hours in the game berating Valve and urging them to fix the game's bot problem. According to one recent reviewer who has over 600 hours on TF2, the game has been ''overrun with people willing to doxx, DDOS, and SWAT anyone who takes action against the problem''.

Source

Last edited:
that's sad to see as someone who used to play TF2 since it came out on the Orange Box. I imagine they'll either have to overhaul everything under the hood to fix all the issues with bots and dox/DDOS. do they have the incentive/devs willing to do that thou, that's a different problem.

Skifi28

Gold Member
I feel a game being review bombed on steam these days is the norm and we should only reserve threads about those that aren't.

Demigod Mac

The recent 64-bit update was a nice performance boost, but yeah. You never know if/when bots will descend into your game and ruin the match for everyone.

I am not much of a mp player, but loved this. I stopped playing before it became f2p, and I think they added too much cosmetics garbage to it then, but that's less problematic than what they seem to face now. Without doing much game development anyway, keeping your insanely long popular games healthy should be top priority.

lol at PC players complaining about bots. Part of the reason I can't stand PC gaming and don't want shit to do with cross play is because it's filled with hackers. At first I told myself who cares it's not like I'm going pro but eventually it becomes so blatant and in your face it just ruins the experience of casual online PVP. Even other games without PVP are filled with bots farming gold and just ruins the whole community feel of MP games.

Now Valve has their 17 year old game review bombed because they most likely got tired of trying to keep up with the shit community that exist on PC.

Last edited:

Astray

lol at PC players complaining about bots. Part of the reason I can't stand PC gaming and don't want shit to do with cross play is because it's filled with hackers. At first I told myself who cares it's not like I'm going pro but eventually it becomes so blatant and in your face it just ruins the experience of casual online PVP. Even other games without PVP are filled with bots farming gold and just ruins the whole community feel of MP games.

Now Valve has their 17 year old game review bombed because they most likely got tired of trying to keep up with the shit community that exist on PC.
My wife's nephew visited us today and asked me if the USB device that's plugged into my pc is an aim bot (it was the 2.4 dongle for my Nacon Revolution 5).

He's 10 years old. Tells it all imo.

tkscz

Don't worry, TF2 players! Valve got just the right shit for you: Deadlock!

/s.
I know you're joking but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the reason Valve isn't doing anything about the bots.

Maybe it's time to move on from a 17 year old game instead of being outraged but that's just me
Ah yes, people should just stop having fun with a game that was getting support for over 15 years then suddenly it ended.

Hudo

I know you're joking but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the reason Valve isn't doing anything about the bots.

Ah yes, people should just stop having fun with a game that was getting support for over 15 years then suddenly it ended.
Yeah, I was actually half-joking. I bet you're right on the money and Valve are actually quietly sunsetting TF2 for good and try to market Deadlock as the replacement in a way.

Shin-Ra

Genuine, fair, competitive play in open online multiplayer is an illusion.

Either you play private games with trustworthy people or even better you play LAN games.

Private/LAN-only games don’t have the population to keep GaaS running so publishers pretend their games are competitive.

Top Bottom