• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Ninja Explains Why They Chose to Launch Wo Long Fallen Dynasty Day One on Game Pass

I think it's not that simple, the difference is between a one-time upfront model (sales) and a monthly recurring payment model (subs). The upfront model has a bigger pay off on the off set but the sustained subscription model has a slower but a much longer tail.

It's less opinion and more blatant bad faith discussion/trolling when the same couple of usernames use the same comments every time one of these threads is made.
Really if we applied the same rule to everyone here, 90% users would be banned. I’m only responding users who are always saying bad things about PlayStation games. We are all decussing our love of games and our favourite platform. There is no need to ban people for saying something bad about a Platform or game lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Really if we applied the same rule to everyone here, 90% users would be banned. I’m only responding users who are always saying bad things about PlayStation games. We are all decussing our love of games and our favourite platform. There is no need to ban people for saying something bad about a Platform or game lol

I'm not asking for anyone to be banned, just a little check-in.

saintjules

Please increase the price of GamePass. I feel like I’m cheating the system.

XU5Sb9p.gif

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Well, let's be honest here: Does anyone actually believe its going to increase sales for multi-platform titles? Either in the short or long term?

And if so, what's the rationale for that thinking, because I don't see it myself.

I can see that being true easily, particularly for games that are not that well known and do not have an established following. Rationale is simple enough, game added to GP, game played and streamed by a large number of GP players, non GP buyers discover game from WoM or viewing streams. GP basically acts as advertising in that scenario. This, of course, requires that the game be good and WoM positive.

Last edited:

KingT731

This is where the slides are from, they compare game pass subscribers to "look alike" users, users who also have a high tendency to spend, the research is using that data point, not the kind of users who only buy 1 game a year or so. There's no exact numerical average spent on how much a user spends but I don't think you get those exact kind of figures from any company.

Relevant section timestamped below:

I know where the slides are from I've seen the presentation before. But as I stated you can say from "like to like comparison" but with no actual information/numbers it doesn't mean much of anything besidesl looking nice on a statistics sheet. Again I'm not saying they're bad or that GP is bad.

Or maybe, just maybe, people who has GP doesn't buy 70 euro games every or every second month, and just plays whatever seems interesting and available on GP? And buys heavily discounted games?

You have to pay for dlc whether you have GP or not anyway. I don't remember when I last bought dlc though they are often not necessary imo.
Yes a casual. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What is it saying to the person who buys the game at full price? “Oh you’ve got a way to play this without shelling out $60-$70?”. Do you even want me to buy this game or just sub?

I think it’s great for those using GamePass, but am I suppose to change my ways? I’m kinda feeling like I shouldn’t want to pay full price. Did they cycle through enough gamers (quitting, not interested, and etc) to care what I do next?

Alebrije

Its good but honestly the game is a bad to regular Souls clone,. Mortal Shell is better. If you look for a Souls experience.

The game wont have much legs, there a other better options like Nioh, The Surge.

Cause we all no the Xbox fan base doesnt pay for their games.

Elden Ring, Dying Light 2, Far Cry 6, Guardians of the Galaxy, Cyberpunk 2077, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga, AC Valhalla, Doom Eternal, Outriders, every COD released this gen, NBA 2K, Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5, among others, are all games that suggest otherwise.

Even the ones that were day one releases on Game Pass still managed to top the charts on Xbox's best selling games lists. Even Halo Infinite Campaign managed to outsell COD on both Xbox consoles and PC the month it released. Maybe you were joking though.

barack obama laughing GIF by Obama

PaintTinJr

It makes sense IMO - after trying it today - because it is a new IP so needs all the exposure it can get - to setup a sequel - and it looks like a rough around the edges, slightly garish version of DeS remake (if it was available) on PS4 & Pro. It feels last-gen IMO, and I wanted to like the demo, but was completely put off by complexity of the controls being described in tutorial - information overload was such a turn off.

Lognor

Banned
GP and PS+E are good deals to interduce players to unconventional franchises. developers get plenty of money upfront and million$ more worth in marketing value. Yakuza got big after launching on GP and is now finally mainstream. leading to rise in value of older Yakuza games. So Yo Long could lead to more players discovering NiOh and becoming fans of Team Ninja.
Right. So why isn't Sony doing the same for ps plus? Ps plus owners have only ever gotten small indie games day one. Why no AA/AAA games like wo long?

I'm thrilled I have game pass and get to play these games day one, but Sony should be trying to do the same on their end. I get that they don't want to put first party games up day one but games like this probably wouldn't be too expensive.

Reallink

Will it be on PC Gamepass as well? Game runs like shit in Quality Mode and looks like shit in Performance Mode (seemingly running at 1080p or lower much of the time) on both PS5 and SX.

Amiga

Right. So why isn't Sony doing the same for ps plus? Ps plus owners have only ever gotten small indie games day one. Why no AA/AAA games like wo long?

I'm thrilled I have game pass and get to play these games day one, but Sony should be trying to do the same on their end. I get that they don't want to put first party games up day one but games like this probably wouldn't be too expensive.
Team Ninja would ask more than double the money from Sony because :
1- to make up for the lost revenue of a bigger PS5 market share
2- Team Ninja has a bigger fanbase on Playstation.

So the cost for Sony is several times bigger than MS. They could afford it with some games like Stray and I hope they keep up with that.

And the value of a subscription depends more on the extended library than the day1 launch. PS+E has more value in that regard.

Lognor

Banned
Team Ninja would ask more than double the money from Sony because :
1- to make up for the lost revenue of a bigger PS5 market share
2- Team Ninja has a bigger fanbase on Playstation.

So the cost for Sony is several times bigger than MS. They could afford it with some games like Stray and I hope they keep up with that.

And the value of a subscription depends more on the extended library than the day1 launch. PS+E has more value in that regard.
That's an interesting thought. And might be true. Funny that game pass is almost like a counter for sony's timed exclusivity of games. Ms would have to pay a lot more to get timed exclusivity on the latest final fantasy, for example. But getting a AAA game on game pass day one will be really expensive. Wo long is probably closer to AA.

Dude came off sounding like Phil. It's all about more players, players all over the world. More players than ever on more devices ever!!! *looks at Halo Infinite numbers* . . . uh, ignore that, we're even on Samsung TVs!!!

KingT731

Slime Rancher 2 just released yesterday, and also arrived on GP. You must mean Slime Rancher 1, which is leaving in a week.
Yeah I had to look it up. They did 100K. Pretty damn good for an early access game from a very small studio.

Last edited:
Simple. Koei Tecmo will most likely make a lot more money placing the game on Gamepass on day one with a big check from Microsoft than trying to sell it for $60 on XBOX. We all know how well Japanese games sell on XBOX.

Petopia

Banned
Elden Ring, Dying Light 2, Far Cry 6, Guardians of the Galaxy, Cyberpunk 2077, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga, AC Valhalla, Doom Eternal, Outriders, every COD released this gen, NBA 2K, Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5, among others, are all games that suggest otherwise.

Even the ones that were day one releases on Game Pass still managed to top the charts on Xbox's best selling games lists. Even Halo Infinite Campaign managed to outsell COD on both Xbox consoles and PC the month it released. Maybe you were joking though.

barack obama laughing GIF by Obama
Nope I wasn't and loved it when you mentioned PC cause we PC guys make half of your guys player bases.

Fabieter

As someone who finished nioh 1 and 2 on ps4 iam happy for wo long on gamepass pc. I played the beta on ps5 ans got my ass kicked constantly. Will definitely play it on gamepass.

Top Bottom