• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Xbox is Back to the 360 Era

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
FIFY. Great games but genre diversity would be nice.

God of War: 3rd person
TLoU: 3rd person
The Last Guardian: 3rd person
Horizon: 3rd person
Days Gone: 3rd Person
Ghosts of Tshushima: 3rd person
Uncharted: 3rd person
Infamous: 3rd Person
Spiderman: 3rd person

They don't call it the 3rdPersonStation for nothing. Would like to see reboots on Killzone and Resistance.
That's camera not genre.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Hello Everyone,

Xbox's E3 has concluded. As we all know the internet has always created this myth of Xbox having no games. While that may have been true a few years ago, the last 2-3 years of studio purchases and new games/ip announcements have started to really showcase with what's happening over at Team Xbox. This thread is not being made to upset or piss anyone of, it's simply a thread too really sit down and take a look at a bigger picture of where Team Xbox is going and what is happening over the course of the next few years. I personally think the E3 show was quite solid considering what the developers were able to announce and show to the world after a horrible last year. While I didn't get too see all the games I truly wanted to see such as Everwild, Perfect Dark and Fable. I was still quite convinced that I liked where Xbox was going forward.

Game Pass continues to really impress and the amount of new games announced today also was content enough for me. For a show that had to deal with Coronavirus over the last year, I give the developers MASSIVE RESPECTS for their hard work and the will to keep going, props to the devs. Granted, if coronavirus did not happen, you could take everything in this thread and minus it by 1 or 1.5 years, but such is life. Looking over at this list here, makes me extremely happy. This generation of gaming already seems much more exciting than the start of 2013 with the PS4/X1. The lineup below really reminds me of the 360 era in some shape or form. You have a ton of RPGs coming out such as Elder Scrolls 6, Fable Starfield, Awoved and The Outer Worlds 2. Plenty of FPS games with Halo Infinite, Perfect Dark (assuming its FPS) and of course Redfall.

The release date windows are MY personal predictions. Let's take a peek.

Exclusive 1st Party Titles

1. Halo Infinite: Cross-gen Holiday 2021
  2. Forza Horizon 5: Cross-gen - November 9th, 2021
  3. Grounded: Cross-gen - July 28th, 2020
  4. Scorn: Next Gen Only Fall 2021 (MS Funded after Kickstarter, but NOT a 1st party studio)
  5. Flight Simulator Next Gen Only July 27th, 2021 (Out on PC)
  6. Psychonauts 2 Cross-Gen August 25th, 2021 (No PS5 Version, ONLY Series X but for Sony PS4 - not a true exclusive, but an exclusive in a different way, a black sheep)
  7. Age of Empires IV PC Only October 28th, 2021
  8. Starfield: Next Gen Only November 11th 2022
  9. Redfall: Next Gen Only Summer 2022
  10. State of Decay 3: Next Gen Only TBA 2023/2024
  11. Awoved: Next Gen Only TBA 2023/2024
  12. Fable: Next Gen Only TBA 2023/2024
  13. The Outer Worlds 2: Next Gen Only TBA 2024/2025
  14. Perfect Dark: Next Gen Only TBA 2023/2024
  15. Hellblade II: Next Gen Only TBA 2023/2024
  16. Everwild: Next Gen Only TBA 2024/2025
  17. Gears 6: Next Gen Only TBA 2024/2025
  18. Elder Scrolls 6: Next Gen Only TBA 2024/2025
  19. Contraband: Next Gen Only TBA 2023/2024
  20. Indiana Jones Next Gen Only TBA 2023/2024
  21. Forza Motorsport Next Gen Only TBA 2023/2024
Timed Exclusives

1. Warhammer 40K: Darktide: Next Gen Only 2021
  2. The Gunk: Cross-gen September 2021
  3. 12 Minutes: Cross-gen August 19th , 2021
  4. The Medium: Next Gen Only January 28th, 2021
  5. S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Next Gen Only April 28th, 2022
  6. The Ascent Next Gen Only July 28th, 200212
I am probably missing a few games, but these are top of my head. If I missed any timed exclusives or exclusives. Please let me know and I hope this gives people here a list too look forward too and see how the line up is shaping up. I think its quite diverse and has a lot of good and exciting games for many different kinds of people. I am quite happy!
E3 isn't over. Extended Xbox presser coming the 17th..

Your mom jokes? What are you, ten years old? Not my fault nobody bit on it initially. You did do better with this bait though, props for your fanatic tenacity.

“You will continue to suffer if you have an emotional reaction to everything that is said to you. True power is sitting back and observing things with magic. True power is restraint. If words control you that means everyone else can control you. Breathe and allow things to pass.”​

-Bruce Lee

<3

That's camera not genre.
God of War: Action-adventure
TLoU: Action-Adventure
The Last Guardian: Action-Adventure
Horizon: Action Role-Playing
Days Gone: Action-Adventure
Ghosts of Tshushima: Action-Adventure
Uncharted: Action-Adventure
Infamous: Action-Adventure
Spiderman: Action-Adventure

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
God of War: Action-adventure
TLoU: Action-Adventure
The Last Guardian: Action-Adventure
Horizon: Action Role-Playing
Days Gone: Action-Adventure
Ghosts of Tshushima: Action-Adventure
Uncharted: Action-Adventure
Infamous: Action-Adventure
Spiderman: Action-Adventure
That is just bad faith and you know it. Do you honestly believe that god of war and uncharted are from the same genre ?
Driveclub little big planet too ? Gran turismo is 3rd person camera ? Dreams too ? Resogun ? You either miss all the games that don't fit your narrative or twist so hard that it is basically lying. How about VR ?

Pull n Pray

Banned
Honestly, exclusives give a consumer an incentive to buy a console. But once you own a console, they provide no tangible benefit. Just the psychological benefit of affirming you made the right choice. Launching games into Game Pass, however, provides tangible benefits. So what I'm saying is, I'm more excited for Back 4 Blood, Hades, Darktide, and D&D Dark Alliance launching into Game Pass then I would be if they were exclusives but not launching into Game Pass.

Game Pass > Exclusives

Dr Bass

I don't believe Elder Scrolls will be exclusive to Xbox, I'll believe it when I see it.
It's so far away at this point we are going to be hitting the next gen of consoles it seems like before it even hits. Not really going to be a factor for awhile.
Honestly, exclusives give a consumer an incentive to buy a console. But once you own a console, they provide no tangible benefit. Just the psychological benefit of affirming you made the right choice. Launching games into Game Pass, however, provides tangible benefits. So what I'm saying is, I'm more excited for Back 4 Blood, Hades, Darktide, and D&D Dark Alliance launching into Game Pass then I would be if they were exclusives but not launching into Game Pass.

Game Pass > Exclusives
Exclusives don't give you a tangible benefit? How about the experience of playing the game? That's the benefit.

There is so much bizarre language and promoting of GP around here, it feels like straight up astroturfing at times. Now we have people saying actual exclusive games don't confer any benefits to console owners, but a game sub does. Yeah that makes tons of sense.

jakinov

Little to no innovation, not getting great developer support, even worse Japanese developer support, not getting all the great deals and so far a lack of results (which to be fair for them takes a lot of time or money).

kyussman

I've no doubt I'll own a PS5 and XSX this gen...but I'm not gonna lie,seeing Arkane's first game under MS be an open world 4 player co-op game has knocked my confidence a bit.I do need a good amount of games on a system if I am gonna invest in it so I hope they don't lean too hard into multiplayer/co-op with their new studios or it will make an investment in Xbox something I'll have to give a bit more thought about.....they do have a lot of rpg's lined up though so if they deliver with those I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of an XSX overall this gen.

DryvBy

Eh, not yet. And a lot on that list is TBA stuff. Out of this year's E3, they def did good but Nintendo had surprises.

If they would have brought a ton of AAA stuff to the table and some big surprises no one saw coming, I'd agree. They're not at the Gears of War reveal level yet.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Psychonauts 2 Cross-Gen August 25th, 2021 (No PS5 Version, ONLY Series X but for Sony PS4 - not a true exclusive, but an exclusive in a different way, a black sheep)

200.gif

J/K

Pretty stellar list OP!
Set hype to maximum 🚂

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Dr Bass

FIFY. Great games but genre diversity would be nice.

God of War: 3rd person
TLoU: 3rd person
The Last Guardian: 3rd person
Horizon: 3rd person
Days Gone: 3rd Person
Ghosts of Tshushima: 3rd person
Uncharted: 3rd person
Infamous: 3rd Person
Spiderman: 3rd person

They don't call it the 3rdPersonStation for nothing. Would like to see reboots on Killzone and Resistance.
So your definition of "diversity" is ....

1st person?

Those games are all very different BTW.

I've also never in my life heard the term 3rdPersonStation.

I hope Xbox can get back to it's glory days, sure. It really felt like something amazing and new when the OG Xbox hit. And I'm sure most around here remember the Wii60 duo.

MonarchJT

Banned
Xbox will do great this generation, much better than last, but will still stay in the shadows of PlayStation due to lacking great first party games. PC+PS5 is the way to go.
...you probably fell asleep in the last 12 months ... Xbox has twice the size of Sony's first party studios. and many of these are highly acclaimed studios. Sony is at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to first party studios. in addition ... unfortunately they are fixated on third person action games .... leaving out practically any other genre

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

It's nice to finally see some hype around Xbox again, but nothing about this echoes 360 era to me. That generation to me was defined by the AA, lower budget games and indies/Xbox Live Arcade as much as it was AAA titles.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It's nice to finally see some hype around Xbox again, but nothing about this echoes 360 era to me. That generation to me was defined by the AA, lower budget games and indies/Xbox Live Arcade as much as it was AAA titles.
And this year's E3 conference was absolutely littered with this kind of stuff, most of it coming to Xbox.

Tschumi

MY personal predictions.

Exclusive 1st Party Titles
  1. Flight Simulator Next Gen Only July 27th, 2021 (Out on PC)
  2. Psychonauts 2 Cross-Gen August 25th, 2021 (No PS5 Version, ONLY Series X but for Sony PS4 - not a true exclusive, but an exclusive in a different way, a black sheep)
  3. Age of Empires IV PC Only October 28th, 2021
  4. Starfield: Next Gen Only November 11th 2022
  5. Awoved: Next Gen Only TBA 2023/2024
  6. The Outer Worlds 2: Next Gen Only TBA 2024/2025
  7. Perfect Dark: Next Gen Only TBA 2023/2024
  8. Elder Scrolls 6: Next Gen Only TBA 2024/2029
Timed Exclusives
  1. S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2: Next Gen Only April 28th, 2022
My personal predictions of which of these games I may have a nascent interest in. Bold for genuine interest.
PC Only... AoE4 could do SO MUCH WRONG to the world, or it could gift so much right to new generations..

Your psychonauts fenagling leaves a sour taste

I'm not sure what '360 era' means, I guess you mean them leading the ill-judged and hard-to-develop-for Playstation 3 for the first, like, 70% of the generation... I don't see that happening here

Last edited:

Gavon West

Xbox will do great this generation, much better than last, but will still stay in the shadows of PlayStation due to lacking great first party games. PC+PS5 is the way to go.
I'll take that bet. It's interesting to see how so many DONT see what's taking place. Microsoft is going to be a huge disruptor this gen. The drought is officially over. It's only going to get bigger and better from here. Sony won't be the same after this gen. The beast is finally out of it's cage. Even Satya came out to confirm. That's a much bigger deal than many want to admit. Plus they aren't finished acquiring studios. There are more coming. Sony is going to do well. I'll give them that. But Microsoft will be right there with them. No doubt this will be one of the most interesting generations in recent memory. You can quote me on that.

Tschumi

The drought is officially over.
Does someone pay you to say hammy lines like that?

Where can I find this Ministry of Drought Measurement?

EDIT: Didn't realize your whole post was a piece. of performance art. in short. sentences.

Sony won't be the same after this gen. The beast is finally out of it's cage. Even Satya came out to confirm. That's a much bigger deal than many want to admit. Plus they aren't finished acquiring studios. There are more coming. Sony is going to do well. I'll give them that. But Microsoft will be right there with them. No doubt this will be one of the most interesting generations in recent memory. You can quote me on that.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Better than the Xbone doesn't mean its better than the Xbox 360.

The 360 had God-tier exclusives early on: Oblivion, Halo 3, Mass Effect, DOA4. The Series X is dramatically better hardware than the Xbone ever was, but Microsoft still needs to deliver the goods. Gears Tactics has been my favourite exclusive of theirs, and that launched Day 1 with the console. Gamepass has kept me glued to my Series X, but I'd be lying if I said I felt like Microsoft had delivered real next-gen games. Say what you will about Jim Ryan, but PlayStation made sure they had exclusive games that showed people where their AUD$750.00 went.

I have no doubt Microsoft is building up to their great games... but we're rapidly closing in on the console's 12 month anniversary. In terms of first years... they're not doing great. Flight Simulator at 4k on a Series X is going to be astounding, Horizon 5 looks incredible, Halo Infinite may actually not be complete shit. But... I'm not going to count those chickens until they've hatched. Microsoft will be back to the Xbox 360 days when I look at my Series X games collection and think "These are some of the best games I've ever played, what a console!". And they've got a ways to go to get there.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I'd argue its even better. Hardware its top notch this time. Best in class BC solution as well. It would be great if they could revive some old games from the OG and 360 like Otogi or Lost Oddysey.

Kagey K

Banned
You're right. Don't worry, I'm sure we will soon have a single thread for all positive Xbox news.
All Xbox talk must go in this thread.... and only this thread. 🤣

Gavon West

Does someone pay you to say hammy lines like that?

Where can I find this Ministry of Drought Measurement?

EDIT: Didn't realize your whole post was a piece of performance art. in short. sentences.
You can pay me if you want.

That being said, it's pretty clear if you can read the tea leaves. It's hilarious how everyone is a shill when they speak on Sony not being the dominant force in the industry. You don't have to believe it. That's cool. Just remember I said so. I'll remind you, broski, if you don't

MonarchJT

Banned
So your definition of "diversity" is ....

1st person?

Those games are all very different BTW.

I've also never in my life heard the term 3rdPersonStation.

I hope Xbox can get back to it's glory days, sure. It really felt like something amazing and new when the OG Xbox hit. And I'm sure most around here remember the Wii60 duo.
please that PlayStation games look all very very similar is objective .... some may have different components but the line of play is similar. Uncharted, the last of us, days gone, god of war (r)'cmon lol

Last edited:

SNG32

Not even close no Japanese games and a whole lotta fps games. Hell Xbox one had a better launch then Series X.

Pull n Pray

Banned
Exclusives don't give you a tangible benefit? How about the experience of playing the game? That's the benefit.

There is so much bizarre language and promoting of GP around here, it feels like straight up astroturfing at times. Now we have people saying actual exclusive games don't confer any benefits to console owners, but a game sub does. Yeah that makes tons of sense.
You aren't thinking clearly. Being able to play a game is not a benefit of exclusivity. Non-exclusive games play just as well. The tangible benefit of being able to play a game for free is far, far greater than the psychological benefit of knowing PlayStation players can't play a game. Maybe because I've always owned both consoles.

If Phil Spencer made me choose between Xbox putting all their 1st party games on PlayStation but continuing to launch them on Game Pass, or keeping them exclusive but discontinuing Game Pass, it would be a really easy choice.

Top Bottom