• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team17 Reveals 'Environmentally Friendly' Worms NFTs, and Fans Don't Seem Pleased

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Team17 has revealed a set of what it describes as 'environmentally friendly' Worms NFTs and fans seem to be far from pleased. The company has subsequently said that it won't nclude NFTs within games it publishes.

As announced in a press release this morning, fans will soon be able to buy officially licensed NFT collectibles based upon the retro gaming franchise, Worms. Called MetaWorms Team17 says that its NFTs will encompass content from across the last 26-years of Worms games to form "unique, generative artwork."

colonel-rainbow.gif

Similar to other NFTs, the limited edition set of MetaWorms will be secured on the blockchain in order to assure digital ownership. The collection itself will be created and managed by the Reality Gaming Group, which has also been involved in creating blockchain collectibles for subsequent franchises such as Doctor Who: Worlds Apart and Reality Clash.

According to Team17, this has enabled the studio to ensure that it is creating a range of "environmentally friendly" NFTs. It says that thethe cost of minting 100,000 NFTs through the group's Etherium sidechain uses the same energy as the average annual kettle usage of around eleven UK households.

The two companies have also announced that the project will partner with sustainability platform "Coin 4 Planet", and specifically its Refeed Farms project, meaning that a portion of every NFT sale will be used to invest in real-life worm beds that are used to replenish soil instead of synthetic fertilizers.

Although Team17 is set to make blockchain-based Worms products, the studio has said in a recent statement to Eurogamer that it doesn't plan on introducing NFTs into the games that it publishes.

"Team17 is licensing the Worms brand to our newest third-party partner so they can produce collectible digital artwork based on one of the most beloved IPs in indie games, in a similar way to already available physical merchandise," a Team17 spokesperson stated. "Team17 has no plans to introduce NFTs or play-to-earn NFT mechanics into any of its indie games label titles."

Despite the efforts to create a more environmentally friendly NFT, many members of the Worms community are yet to be convinced by the move. While some fans on social media have aired their disappointment and anger at the decision, others have vowed to steer clear of any future Worms content while the developer remains in the NFT market. Below you can find a selection of responses from fans upset by the recent news.

Last edited:

I_D

I actually completely understand why independent creators would want NFTs. They seem like the perfect thing for garage-level bands, and content creators and so forth who want to secure their own material.

But for stuff like this?

This seems to be at the same level as the 'Ape' NFTs, at least from what I can gather from the woefully-barren website.
Isn't this just basically a Mr. Potato Head generator, but with Worms?

I can't imagine why anybody wouldn't want to spend money on such a thing...

After hearing so much about NFTs I think I'm finally starting to understand what they are.

What I'm not understanding is why the fick anyone woukd pay money for them.
They're basically nothing more then digital ownership of something that doesn't exist in the real world. That's about it.

Kinda like a personal piece of DLC. NFT's are the new cancer of the gaming industry and I sincerely hope it bombs all over. This has greed written all over it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
At this point? Who the fucking cares.
Let them sell shitty nfts if someone wants to buy it.
Then they will add it to games and ruin their own company.

"secured on the blockchain" - this here is not environment friendly

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
RIP for Team 17.

TEAM 17 is a company that can hardly fight the video game industry, they still want to dig their coffin more.

Allandor

That was quick.
I really don't get why companies still announce such stuff. They could place it in silently and it wouldn't be that big of an outcry. On the other side, they wouldn't get so much attention. But it really seems that they only the $$$NFT$$$ and don't think a bit more about it.

MayauMiao

It blows my mind why they are pushing NFTs into gaming. Doesn't benefit gaming as a whole and only creates more outrage.

cireza

Banned
They're basically nothing more then digital ownership of something that doesn't exist in the real world.
So the only interest would be to be able to prevent anyone else from possessing said thing. Which is impossible.

Someone : "Look, I am the rightful owner of wife.jpeg, nobody can still it from me !"

Me : Presses PrtSc key

Fuuuu-Meme-PNG.png

Last edited:

Von Hugh

You are the owner.

Except you own zero rights to the actual intellectual property.

So you really are not the owner.

Seth Meyers Whatever GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

SJRB

Gold Member
I love how even the developers under the Team17 umbrella publicly were like "fuck right off with this shit, mate".

So the only interest would be to be able to prevent anyone else from possessing said thing. Which is impossible.

Someone : "Look, I am the rightful owner of wife.jpeg, nobody can still it from me !"

Me : Presses PrtSc key

Fuuuu-Meme-PNG.png
In short: Yes.

Marvel

could never
I love how these idiots jump in to NFT only to back out quickly when they get shit on lmao. Like what did you expect...

What's the difference between an NFT and a paid skin? You can resell one, and not the other?
Paid skin is something anyone can buy. An NFT is unique, a skin noone else can buy. Lets say Skin X goes up for sale as an NFT... Only the person who buys this NFT will be able to use it.
Or they make a skin and only make it available to buy 5 times, then 5 people have the skin and no-one else does.

Its next level paid DLC and I'll have nothing of the sort. The greed is enormous.

This is E-Capitalism

Last edited:

manfestival

I love how everyone sees NFT and they go ape brain about it. Well more specifically in the gaming sphere. Just hilarious overall.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Every NFT will be environmentally friendly in the second half of the year, once Ethereum moves away from PoW.

Paid skin is something anyone can buy. An NFT is unique, a skin noone else can buy. Lets say Skin X goes up for sale as an NFT... Only the person who buys this NFT will be able to use it.
Or they make a skin and only make it available to buy 5 times, then 5 people have the skin and no-one else does.

Its next level paid DLC and I'll have nothing of the sort. The greed is enormous.

This is E-Capitalism
Ok, but how does that make it any different from a limited run skin (which can already be done)? Other than the fact that I, the buyer, can sell it to some other sucker for $1,000 later on?

I have zero interest in skins, for context. I have never bought one in my life. I may be interested if I can sell it later on. I am assuming that all NFTs can be resold by the purchaser, though I'm not sure if that's the case

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
What the fuck is the Meta? How do these things get in there?

They're just flinging shit to the wall to see what sticks. The fact they they did a complete 180 just mere days after the announcement shows they have zero actual faith or belief in the concept. They didn't even have the spine to stand for it, they just tossed it in the garbage the moment it didn't work out in their favor.

It's all about making money, nothing else.

If I understand correctly NFT's are unique pieces of digital art stored on the blockchain, of which some hold very high value and are paid for in cryptocurrency. Even though I have 0 interest in acquiring NFT's, this in itself seems pretty harmless to me. Who am I to judge the value someone sees in something, just like 'real' physical art right. Even if a gaming publisher does it for extra funds for their war chest. Why does it invite so many "fuck off" reactions? Just to be clear, I'm not for or against, just trying to understand the outrage.

Phase

If I understand correctly NFT's are unique pieces of digital art stored on the blockchain, of which some hold very high value and are paid for in cryptocurrency. Even though I have 0 interest in acquiring NFT's, this in itself seems pretty harmless to me. Who am I to judge the value someone sees in something, just like 'real' physical art right. Even if a gaming publisher does it for extra funds for their war chest. Why does it invite so many "fuck off" reactions? Just to be clear, I'm not for or against, just trying to understand the outrage.
oblivion_killed_games.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom