• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Techland Is Developing A New AAA Open-World RPG Game

Don Carlo

This week, eXputer came across a new job listing for a Senior 3D Artist and Senior Quest Designer posted on the Polish developer’s website — both based in Wrocław, Poland. The description for the first job listing reads, “Your main responsibility will be to create 3D assets for our next big title.” The company also requires the candidate to have “at least 5 years of experience in creating 3D models (using 3DsMax or Blender) for AAA projects.” Hence, it seems like the upcoming game is a big one — perhaps, even a AAA one!

New AAA Open-World RPG Action

The second job listing gives us some more insight as to what the upcoming AAA game could actually be. Under the requirements for the Senior Quest Designer job listing, the company has mentioned that it expects the candidate to have “familiarity with the difference between the narrative and the gameplay layer in open-world action RPG games”. From this, we can conclude that the new AAA game could be an open-world action RPG game with a narrative experience to it. Since the job listing is for a Senior Quest Designer and the missions in Dying Light are called “Quests”, we can also assume that the company is working on another instalment to the franchise.

In addition to this, it stresses that one of the routine tasks of the candidate would be “working iteratively with the Narration team (the whole team creates, develops, and provides feedback for all ideas)” and requires the candidate to have “experience in creating narration for games”. It seems like the company wants to focus more on the narrative aspect of the upcoming game than anything else — as was the case with Dying Light 2.

Lastly, the job listing also mentions the “managing of Blueprints in the Unreal Engine”. Unreal Engine has been the preferred choice of developers and players alike, so this could mean that, perhaps, Techland is moving on from its new C-Engine (used for Dying Light 2) to Unreal Engine. Although, this seems unlikely since the company recently moved to C-Engine from its previous Chrome Engine for the sequel.

Furthermore, these same job listings were also posted on LinkedIn. While the previous job listings from around 2 months or prior specify which game the position is open for — Dying Light 2 for instance — these ones don’t. So, it’s safe to say that it’s a new game that the company is working on, that it doesn’t want others to know about. Although, there isn’t any confirmation as to which game it is, exactly.

Could be pointing to Dying Light 3, Call of Juarez, or Hellraid?

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Dying Light 2 is set to release on December, Hiring Senior Quest Designer and Artist only mean something for the future, and they are done with current projects.

I imagine this is going to come in hot. I reckon it's the type of game that will be 12-24 months away from being stablised (post-launch). That being said you're right it'll probably be a different team to right this ship.

Last edited:

Barlow

Isn't Techland working on a Fantasy RPG or something like that?
Remember there was something years/months ago

Last edited:

Don Carlo

Lies.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger was awesome.

Also, I wonder what the hell happened to Hellraid and Warhound. Wonder if they’ll bring either of these projects back.
It was amazing, I'm glad they got the rights back from Ubisoft in 2018. However, these details do not indicate a Call of Juarez game sadly.

EDMIX

Better than Battle Royale, FPS, and Multiplayer that are all over the globe like some virus.

Agreed.

Open world is merely a setting type thing.

WHAT the game is and HOW it plays is still up to the creativity of the developer, I don't know why folks like trying to lump in "open world" as some indication of something being good or bad when it simply saying they are working on some large map type shit.

Its like thinking Minecraft will be this or that simply cause they heard "open world" in the development, like they fucking know what it will be at release or some shit lol

sublimit sublimit ? Well first, the writers, artist and other key staff are done with Dying Light 2 in terms of what their jobs where (some for years mind you), so I don't see how they wouldn't start hiring, planning and working on the concept stuff for a new project.

I'm not sure what the fuck the writer and a concept artist would be doing THE FINAL FUCKING DAYS of games development, you telling me the story will be done, 2 days before the game releases or? Does the gaming community not know development happens in stages?

Last edited:

Eimran

I'm also tired of open world games but considering what a great job they did with dying light, I'd welcome an open world game from them with open eyes.

TrebleShot

When will game developers take the pressure off themselves and make hub worlds that are more interactive than open worlds.

open world roughly translates to “bloated side content that your better off not playing”.

EDMIX

I'm also tired of open world games but considering what a great job they did with dying light, I'd welcome an open world game from them with open eyes.

I'm tired of BAD GAMES! Open world, linear, sandbox, doesn't fucking matter. ANYONE can make shit game, so I can't really say I'm tired of one format over the other as much as I'm tired how developers that fail in many areas.

Denton

It has been known for years that Techland is doing new IP AAA open world RPG. Some very good writers from CDP went there (Karolina Stachyra and few others) for it.

Last edited:

Don Carlo

When will game developers take the pressure off themselves and make hub worlds that are more interactive than open worlds.

open world roughly translates to “bloated side content that your better off not playing”.
You mean something like RD2 or The Witcher 3?

Nickolaidas

Banned
Can't wait for a medieval open world first person hack and slash game where almost every single NPC is going to be an unlikable asshole.

RyRy93

Although there are plenty of bland open-world games out there I'd rather play them than feel like I'm being guided down a corridor, it's nice to go "Fuck it I don't wanna go down this path right now, I wanna see what's going on over there"

Last edited:

Flabagast

They've been poaching some pretty good talent from CDPR recently after what happened with Cyberpunk, so a RPGish game does not seem too far fetched. Let's hope it's a new IP.

Top Bottom