• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Techradar: There’s never been a worse time to buy a PS5

god of War Ragnarok was like playing a blockbuster movie, only it lasted for 30 hours.

Two tickets to go watch black panther for one night cost me 30 dollars.

You called it a movie game?

season 5 the krusty sponge GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

pasterpl

Eh....you can spin it however you want, but this just is a bad year for Microsoft. I'm not wanting for games either as I have Xbox, PC, PS5 and Switch but that doesn't make MS first party any better this year.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live
I am just saying I have got enough games to play on my xbsx, some are timed exclusives, some were refreshed via dlc (fligh sim, forza), some smaller games like pentiment that I still need to try, and yeah, would love to play starfield this year, but I can wait. I would complain only if I would not have games to play but this is not a case. My Xboxes are always my main gaining platform, so delays in 1st party titles doesn’t bother me that much, not sure what so hard to understand. I am not playing only exclusives.

Yeah, that’s why Jim Ryan is throwing a fit with ms abk acquisition. Game is that horrible that millions of people play it every year and it outsells most of Sony 1st party exclusives. Horrible game that sells like crazy.

pasterpl

Microsoft would love to have a "slow year" like that......right now. :messenger_beaming:

they'd probably take destruction all stars too.

Jimmy Fallon Idk GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Doubt. Even pentiment scored much higher reviews that destruction all stars. And it is much more interesting game that I will definitely try over coming weeks. Most gamers would take high scoring indie over garbage AA launch title tag destruction all starts was.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I am just saying I have got enough games to play on my xbsx, some are timed exclusives, some were refreshed via dlc (fligh sim, forza), some smaller games like pentiment that I still need to try, and yeah, would love to play starfield this year, but I can wait. I would complain only if I would not have games to play but this is not a case. My Xboxes are always my main gaining platform, so delays in 1st party titles doesn’t bother me that much, not sure what so hard to understand. I am not playing only exclusives.

coolstory.gif

Chukhopops

Microsoft would love to have a "slow year" like that......right now. :messenger_beaming:

they'd probably take destruction all stars too.

Jimmy Fallon Idk GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
What a dumb post. I don’t think I would trade MS 2022 for Sony 2021 especially if you include third party moneyhats (which Kena was, not published by Sony).

bender

What time is it?
Yeah, that’s why Jim Ryan is throwing a fit with ms abk acquisition. Game is that horrible that millions of people play it every year and it outsells most of Sony 1st party exclusives. Horrible game that sells like crazy.
giphy.gif

Doubt. Even pentiment scored much higher reviews that destruction all stars. And it is much more interesting game that I will defiantly try over coming weeks. Most gamers would take high scoring indie over garbage AA launch title tag destruction all starts was.
The poster you're responding to is mentally irregular, him and the fools brigade have turned this thread into a console warriors haven. Techradar is a UK tech review site while covering the best deals around (they are not a video game website which shows bias).

The article is a factually based opinion (all prices listed are accurate)on why right now its not the best time to lay down your hard earned. How they're allowed to push the thread into a completely different direction without getting a warning is beyond me 🤔

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
There is this thing called Game Pass though. Sony's 1st party games costing $70 wouldn't hurt if they had something similar.
Games are 60$ for like 20 years.
Not sure if you noticed it most expensive game ever was gta 4 and it cost 100mil usd. Now games easily cost two to four times more….
Compare 60usd game from ps2 to 60usd game today. Compare value of 60usd. Look at everything around.
We should probably be happy games are not 170 usd ….

I know 70usd is a lot of money but honestly it has to be

pasterpl

The poster you're responding to is mentally irregular, him and the fools brigade have turned this thread into a console warriors haven. Techradar is a UK tech review site while covering the best deals around (they are not a video game website which shows bias).

The article is a factually based opinion (all prices listed are accurate)on why right now its not the best time to lay down your hard earned. How they're allowed to push the thread into a completely different direction without getting a warning is beyond me 🤔
I know, large part of gas can be referred to as Sony gaf where any positive Xbox thread, or any negative ps thread is taken over by the same offenders derailing these. Still I enjoy shattering their world views, and sometimes getting a good laugh at some mental gymnastics that they are doing. That’s why I don’t use ignore button (yes, never added anyone to the ignore list).

pasterpl

Imagine defending Xbox's dogshit year because "i'm nhut hurtin fur games"
You see, this is sort of hyperbole that is toxic, did Xbox had a shit year, no, they had lots of games released on Xbox from 3rd parties, what you should have said is that Xbox game studios had a bad year compared to the previous year (when they have won publisher of the year award, beating Sony etc.). That would be factually correct and wouldn’t smell of warring/trolling. Anyone with Xbox had plenty of games to play this year, including the highest rated title of the year - the elden ring, but there weren’t any big 1st party standalone titles released this year (one might argue that if miles morales is stand alone, hot wheels dlc for forza should be looked at same, I don’t think this is the case).

One more thing, I have not even mentioned timed exclusives that ms got, or gamepass in the above and omit these on purpose.

You see, this is sort of hyperbole that is toxic, did Xbox had a shit year, no, they had lots of games released on Xbox from 3rd parties, what you should have said is that Xbox game studios had a bad year compared to the previous year
I didn't think I needed to spell out the obvious given the context has already been established

You're too busy trying to defend Xbox your literacy is suffering
(one might argue that if miles morales is stand alone, hot wheels dlc for forza should be looked at same, I don’t think this is the case).

Gtfo of here LMAO

Last edited:

DavidGzz

The fact Ragnarok is hitting #1 on the charts shows people are willing to pay the extra money and that Sony's strategy is working amazingly well for them though. It won't change. When was the last time an Xbox game got the hype Ragnarok got? Over a decade?

Expecting MS to keep their games at 60$ while production is getting more and more expensive is also unrealistic.

You could say 70$ is expensive but i'm playing Ragnarok and honestly? Everything is so premium and so polished...you got literally segments of sidequests that are more complete than a lot of paid DLCs i've paid during the years. I just opened up an entire map in there and i can't believe all of that is optional, lol. It'll probably take me hours to go through it all. And this on a game that's not even open world.

I'd rather get a 70$ game that's a fully realized experience than a 60$ game that will eventually make me spend more money on DLC or microtransations or whatever and ending up more expensive.
And if 70$ is expensive...wait for a price cut? People don't have to buy games day one...or the eventual PS Plus release.

I'm not complaining about the price hike, I bought Ragnarok and it was worth it to me, but I'm a gamer with plenty of extra money and I think games are cheap even at $70. I'm 41 and used to buy them at that price on my Super Nes. I'm just talking about how the argument isn't the same because of Game Pass. Especially since it hasn't happened. MS could always do a big price hike on GP when the big games release, so I may be wrong eventually, but for now that is a HUGE difference if we're talking price.

Sony should absolutely keep doing what they are doing, it's working.

But the year you all are talking about was terrible for me. My PS5 collected dust. I bought Returnal because there was nothing else, and I wasn't much of a fan. 2022 was great though. As an owner of both consoles I'm really excited about next year.

Last edited:

pasterpl

XFEdfCL.jpg

ynXHPge.jpg

I will keep it brief and just say that with that mindset you thoroughly get what you deserve.
I fully understand that HotWheels is dlc while miles is stand alone, but ms could have release hot wheels as stand alone (as mm is as short as dlc).

Side note; Interestingly both MM and Hot wheels scored same 85 on Metacritic.

I didn't think I needed to spell out the obvious given the context has already been established

You're too busy trying to defend Xbox your literacy is suffering

Gtfo of here LMAO
I don’t think you need to continue trolling and derailing this thread.

mejin

People Will look for quality when prices are similar.

PS5 is not DAT much expensive than series X or even S.

So even casuals will be more interested in a PS5 with Ragnarok than series+GP. A single outstanding game overshadows easily hundreds of games you don't want to play.

People Will look for quality when prices are similar.

PS5 is not DAT much expensive than series X or even S.

So even casuals will be more interested in a PS5 with Ragnarok than series+GP. A single outstanding game overshadows easily hundreds of games you don't want to play.
Meh, you could say the same.thing next year for xbox
A Single once in a decade release like Starfield with its 100s of hours of game play and exploration outshadows a couple of 6 hours one and done games with zero replay attraction.
I think both consoles now offer a different experience than each other and that it widening all the time, which I think is great.
Sony has a experience of single player, third person adventure games. That's what they are good at doing.
Games like GOT. Spiderman, GOW, TLOU, Uncharted, Infamous etc.
Xbox on the other hand is the place to be if you like shooters and WRPGs.
Games like Doom, Wolfenstien, Halo, Gears, Fallout, Starfield, TES etc.
Pick the console that scratches your itch. Buy both if you like all of them.

You are aware Sony raised the price of its hardware recently? Something the other console makers have not, you know this right?

And the console is vastly more readily available now compared to 2021 or 2020, where you had to go through scalpers to get one in the first place

Is that the only argument then?

GHG

Gold Member
Side note; Interestingly both MM and Hot wheels scored same 85 on Metacritic.

Steam reviews never lie, can't say the same thing for the gaming press unfortunately.

Not sure why you'd suggest them releasing hot wheels as stand alone when it's struggled to even stand on it's own feet as DLC. The reception from gamers would have been worse if it were stand alone.

You want to go down the road of comparing actual DLC to a full game. It makes no sense.

Last edited:
And the console is vastly more readily available now compared to 2021 or 2020, where you had to go through scalpers to get one in the first place

Is that the only argument then?
Scalpers? Seriously? And the economy is in a far worse place now. Anyway my argument at least has merit, you're just blindly defending your favourite toy/ console. The cost of living is not a joke pal and if I were you I'd stop acting the fool and man up.

Scalpers? Seriously? And the economy is in a far worse place now. Anyway my argument at least has merit, you're just blindly defending your favourite toy/ console. The cost of living is not a joke pal and if I were you I'd stop acting the fool and man up.

Your argument has no merit. It's clown take after clown take with you.

I'll rephrase the question for you. What made 2020 and 2021 a better time to buy into the PS5 eco

Be a man and don't dodge the question

Last edited:

Filben

That Edge controller is ridiculousy overpriced but by no means necessary. Horizon Forbidden West were on Amazon sale a couple of times for just 30 bucks. Also, if you go for the disc PS5 version there's always second hand games.

I'm not particularly fond of Sony and there practices but picking the most expensive options and MSRPs is insane.

If we ignore all deals and throw "astronomical" around that easily it loses all meaning. Prices of new Nvidia GPUs are astronomical, but not this.

mejin

A Single once in a decade release like Starfield with its 100s of hours of game play and exploration outshadows a couple of 6 hours one and done games with zero replay attraction.
I think both consoles now offer a different experience than each other and that it widening all the time, which I think is great.
Sony has a experience of single player, third person adventure games. That's what they are good at doing.

You could say It, But you don't have the facts to support you.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I prefer a single quality 10h game rather than huge open world bloat of a game ….
And the only thing Xbox got going for them are Bethesda games. This should’ve been under cma. Not activision

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah, the only thing…if you forget about playground, turn10, coalition, obsidian, team ninja, rare etc.
Don’t care. Forza games are terribly casual and boring. Coalition ruined gears…. It was my fav trilogy. I never liked obsidian games. They made worse kotor, worse fallout and woke space game that nobody finished.
Team ninja is good. Rare don’t exist lol

pasterpl

Don’t care. Forza games are terribly casual and boring. Coalition ruined gears…. It was my fav trilogy. I never liked obsidian games. They made worse kotor, worse fallout and woke space game that nobody finished.
Team ninja is good. Rare don’t exist lol
Damn. Rare doesn’t exist and I thought that sea of thieves was one of their most successful games still played by thousands of players years after the release. Those steam stats got me confused, but what do I know?

Hivebusters scoring over 80 meta also got me confused, and all previous coalition game being rated high and achieving good sales/player numbers. All so confusing.

Forza horizon with millions of players just add to that confusion of mine.
Flight sim critical and user reception. I am wrong again.

You have to be right, all of the above mean nothing, I should complete rely on your opinion. You know better after all.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Damn. Rare doesn’t exist and I thought that sea of thieves was one of their most successful games still played by thousands of players years after the release. Those steam stats got me confused, but what do I know?

Hivebusters scoring over 80 meta also got me confused, and all previous coalition game being rated high and achieving good sales/player numbers. All so confusing.

Forza horizon with millions of players just add to that confusion of mine.
Flight sim critical and user reception. I am wrong again.

You have to be right, all of the above mean nothing, I should complete rely on your opinion. You know better after all.
I would know... at least about gow. it was my fav franchise.
And horizon games... I try each one but after 4-5 hours of "it's your festival let me suck your dick, please drive this ferrari"... no.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Long list of cost complaints but they forgot:

Electricity to power it
TV to display it
Housing to store it
Additional housing because it’s so large
Sofa to sit on
Food to keep you alive while you play
The cost of missing out on real life while you play.

The PS5 is basically a war crime.
Internet Speed.
Additional SSD.
Vr headset.

Last edited:
Compare console and game prices with tv, music, or doing sports or playing an instrument.

Gaming is expensive, it’s just that till now people were ok to pay. Now that seems to be changing.
Gaming is super good bang for the back and has been for a quite a while. I think things like Steam sales and e-commerce have driven prices down significantly. You couldn't just go into a store and buy a new game for 19.99€ in 2005. These days, you got plenty of choice and the hard cap for prices is 80€. Break it down by entertainment per hour and it beats most other media related recreational activites, bar maybe Netflix and books. 60€ in 2002 are 90€ today if adjusted for inflation. Gaming used to be a rich kid hobby, nowadays it's more accessible than it's ever been. Go on Steam or PSN or whatever, pay 15€, get Hollow Knight, Vampire Survivors or some other banger and enjoy.

Hell, just think about how fucking expensive it is to eat out. That's 15-20€ every time for the fleeting enjoyment of one meal.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
I cant believe these 'games journalists activists' havent pointed out the most obvious reason not to buy a PS5: it's white.

Top Bottom