• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Techradar: There’s never been a worse time to buy a PS5

Doom85

I cant believe these 'games journalists activists' havent pointed out the most obvious reason not to buy a PS5: it's white.

I mean, honestly, I do prefer my Playstations to be black, but I’ll allow this one to be the exception purely for the memes:

3nRMiap.gif

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Long list of cost complaints but they forgot:

Electricity to power it
TV to display it
Housing to store it
Additional housing because it’s so large
Sofa to sit on
Food to keep you alive while you play
The cost of missing out on real life while you play.

The PS5 is basically a war crime.
lwn7H1I.gif

Chukhopops

No, the dumb post was the one I responded to and I should have not let him bait me. If you are happy with Microsoft's 2022 lineup then that is perfectly fine.
Not the best but I wouldn’t trade that for Sony’s 2021 for sure.

I just think it’s dumb to say we would somehow be happy with a dead turd like Destruction All Stars.

Topher

Gold Member
Not the best but I wouldn’t trade that for Sony’s 2021 for sure.

I just think it’s dumb to say we would somehow be happy with a dead turd like Destruction All Stars.

That would be dumb thing to say. Good thing that's not what I said, now isn't it?

Chukhopops

That would be dumb thing to say. Good thing that's not what I said, now isn't it?
Microsoft would love to have a "slow year" like that......right now. :messenger_beaming:

they'd probably take destruction all stars too.
Ok you said Microsoft - I still disagree with this take but w/e.
Why are you saying that Sony only had All Stars in 2021?

I remember Returnal and Ratchet came out that year and people seemed to like those games.
I’m not saying that’s the only thing they had - I’m saying I prefer 2022 MS to 2021 Sony.

OuterLimits

My biggest complaint is their PS+ Premium service. It is complete garbage and I'm very annoyed I was dumb enough to purchase it thinking Sony would surely add some cool classics to the library after launch. Especially with Jim Ryan("who wants to play that old shit anyway") in charge of the company.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Thing is this article makes some good point's, it's factually correct. Obviously I know people like PS on here (as I do) but value is an incredibly important part especially in the current financial climate.
Okay, value then.

A yearly PS Plus extra sub is cheaper than GP:

PS Plus extra (which has most of the good games): $99.99 a year
GP for a year: $179.98 ($14.99/mo)

the PS5 digital is also cheaper than a series x and offers better hardware for less (PS5 Digital).

PS5 digital: $399
XSS: $299

So, you're saving $20.

Could you say, the small amount of value in more day one games on game pass and a slight differential in price is something to complain about? not really, that just means you're shit with money.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
This is nonsense but i do feel like Sony is taking advantage of their players, games shouldn't cost $70 IMO, it's too much and i like a sucker bought GoW Ragnarok day one, tho this will be my only game buying day one at this cost. Also they use to have better discounts over PSN and like buy $100 get $15 back (that's how i bought the 2018 GoW).
But this article is just making excuses of why not buying a PS5... for $400-$500 you get a lot for you bucks, it's a great system, I pre-ordered it and was lucky to get one and also XSX day one, both great system that so far gave me all i was expecting.

Last edited:
Okay, value then.

the PS5 digital is also cheaper than a series X and offers better hardware.

So, you're saving $20.

Could you say, the small amount of value in more day one games on game pass and a slight differential in price is something to complain about? not really, that just means you're shit with money.
What are you doing?

tmlDan

What are you doing?
The fact that it does not make good points, when the cost of an ecosystem is what you prefer to buy into.

The list i put above is the essentials to having a cost efficient gaming experience.

Talking about PSVR, and the dual sense edge and buying first party games day one like they need to be bought is BS - those aren't good points.

Last edited:

FrankWza

People have valid reasons for wanting either system. I’m happy I won’t have to pay $60-$70 for Forza, Starfield, Avowed, etc. and will get great indies such as Silksong. Maybe I’ll get a PS5 slim when many of the big games have gone down in price.
the Quote you’re referring to is in response to this part of the article:
Sure, 2023’s looking bright if you’re in it for the games. Ff16, Spider-Man 2 and the Silent Hill 2 remake headline a strong set of exclusives, and I’m sure Sony’s ultra-talented first-party studios have more up their sleeves. But for anyone yet to buy into the PS5 ecosystem, astronomically high prices for both hardware and software make it a tougher sell than ever before.”

To me, it makes his claims, whatever they may be, ridiculous because he’s brushing aside 3 guaranteed AAA hits. He basically a budget gamer. Gaming, in general, is a budget hobby. Especially console gaming.
I’m not saying that’s the only thing they had - I’m saying I prefer 2022 MS to 2021 Sony.
who cares? This article is about now and 2023 and the writers makes this ridiculous claim of minimizing future games for the most part. Unless they’re part of a subscription and are to be included day one. How convenient.
I haven't played Returnal
If you haven’t, get on it. There’s no way to play that game and not be impressed by something it does. Controls, audio, performance, boss battles. It’s a masterpiece. Now if one thinks Deathloop is better than Returnal, well that’s just embarrassing.

Last of Us part 2 is $9.99 on the PSN store right now.

I don't really think thats unreasonable - its only 2 years old now.
Incredible price for an incredible game. This article has really been taken out of context IMO. It's hard times for most, hopefully everyone on here is financially sound. This article is focused on the unfortunate hardware increase that Sony has enforced, while making some comparisons to the competition in terms of games and services.

Topher

Gold Member
Why you lyin?

lack of morals?

Rooster Teeth Hair GIF by Achievement Hunter

Okay, value then.

the PS5 digital is also cheaper than a series X and offers better hardware.

So, you're saving $20.

It is funny that the article doesn't factor in the annual $99 or $120 options for PS+ at all. Instead it only refers to the $17.99 a month price. The article also doesn't take into consideration the savings one will get being able to add non-proprietary storage to PS5 rather than if Sony had opted for more expensive proprietary solutions. But instead focuses on PSVR2 and DualSense Edge for some absurd reason. For an article seemingly focused on "facts", according to some, it left a few facts out.

Last edited:
lack of morals?

Rooster Teeth Hair GIF by Achievement Hunter

It is funny that the article doesn't factor in the annual $99 or $120 options for PS+ at all. Instead it only refers to the $17.99 a month price. The article also doesn't take into consideration the savings one will get being able to add non-proprietary storage to PS5 rather than if Sony had opted for more expensive proprietary solutions. But instead focuses on PSVR2 and DualSense Edge for some absurd reason. For an article seemingly focused on "facts", according to some, it left a few facts out.

I felt like I had to upgrade my storage. But thankfully it was pretty cheap to do.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
No, the dumb post was the one I responded to and I should have not let him bait me. If you are happy with Microsoft's 2022 lineup then that is perfectly fine.
Their 2022 lineup was pretty weak but I play all my 3rd party games on the Series X because in all honesty I prefer the controller especially the Elite then you sprinkle in Gamepass.

My PS5 though is mainly an exclusive machine which Sony just keeps pumping them out

Incredible price for an incredible game. This article has really been taken out of context IMO. It's hard times for most, hopefully everyone on here is financially sound. This article is focused on the unfortunate hardware increase that Sony has enforced, while making some comparisons to the competition in terms of games and services.

Sony is Judge Dredd now?

Retailer: Hey guys were giving a discount on the PS5 for black Friday.

Sony: You can't do that we already increased the price.

Retailer: Oh yeah what are you going to do about it?

Sony: I am the law

judge-dredd-gif.gif

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Their 2022 lineup was pretty weak but I play all my 3rd party games on the Series X because in all honesty I prefer the controller especially the Elite then you sprinkle in Gamepass.

My PS5 though is mainly an exclusive machine which Sony just keeps pumping them out

I think sometimes people mistakenly take a criticism like "xbox first party is weak this year" as "xbox has no games". Obviously that is far from the truth. Xbox third party and Game Pass make certain that isn't the case. I've got 150 hours playing Octopath Traveler on Game Pass. So take the good with the bad. Xbox first party isn't great right now, but Xbox overall has plenty of games.

Gonna have to disagree. The PS5 is a pretty sweet console that delivers pretty sharp 4k 60 / 120 fps gaming at a reasonable price compared to let's say , most gaming pcs , it has it's share of must-own titles, tons of existing PS4 games run much better on it and frankly it simply sucks at this point to play PS4 games since they look and play like crap due to the hardware being 9 years old.

Even after a week of playing PS5, I never , ever wanted to boot my PS4 ever again, and I never once regretted my purchase, even if I'll admit the bulk of my gametime is spent playing the upscaled version of PS4 games... Just the faster loading times are a gamechanger, so is the controller and the fact it doesn't sound like an airplane lifting off...

If you can get it at MSRP, it's a decent buy imho, even if you plan just to play your old favorites under better conditions.

First party games have become quite expensive, but then again they recently added points when you purchase with the PS Stars fidelity program, which does help alleviate this slightly (like I almost got ten bucks worth of PS Stars gold for preordering and buying god of war), that's a pretty decent discount if you ask me.

Last edited:
You could say It, But you don't have the facts to support you.
Which game is better isn't a fact, it's subjective. Personal taste rules which is "better". There can be factual questions like which one was more expensive to make. Which one got a higher meta score, which one sold more.
But better? There's no facts around "better".

I prefer a single quality 10h game rather than huge open world bloat of a game ….
And the only thing Xbox got going for them are Bethesda games. This should’ve been under cma. Not activision
Sure, personal taste is where it's at.
My point is that there is a different exclusive experience now between the first parties of both consoles.
Third person story driven adventure games on PS, and shooters and WRPG on Xbox.
To me this is awesome to see.
Let's have some diversity of portfolios between the two.
How fucking boring would it be if 99% of the games were the same on both consoles and the only difference was GT on PS5 and Forza on Xbox. Halo on Xbox and Killzone on PS. Ratchet on PS and Banjo on Xbox.

After 6/7 years nobody is going to have egg on there face because waiting that long for a stream of exclusives,literally across 2 gens of consoles is pathetic.
The people saying it in 2017 won't have any egg on their face. I was one of those saying it in 2017.
However, in November 2022 when 2023 has Starfield, Forza Motorsport, Redfall at a minimum due out, and Xbox with 24 studios and counting, with games deep in development like Fable, SOD3, Contraband, Perfect Dark, Gears 6, Quake, Indiana Jones, Hellblade 2, The Outer Words 2, Avowed, Project Midnight, Project Cobalt, Wolfenstien 3 and so on, isn't quite as smart as saying it in 2017 was.
You are only going to clown yourself by thinking the meme isn't going to die real soon.

The people saying it in 2017 won't have any egg on their face. I was one of those saying it in 2017.
However, in November 2022 when 2023 has Starfield, Forza Motorsport, Redfall at a minimum due out, and Xbox with 24 studios and counting, with games deep in development like Fable, SOD3, Contraband, Perfect Dark, Gears 6, Quake, Indiana Jones, Hellblade 2, The Outer Words 2, Avowed, Project Midnight, Project Cobalt, Wolfenstien 3 and so on, isn't quite as smart as saying it in 2017 was.
You are only going to clown yourself by thinking the meme isn't going to die real soon.

I mean, those games still have to actually be good.

Who knows how shit with stuff like “project” still in their name that no one has seen will turn out, or contraband or Indiana jones. It takes more than just a big list of games in production to make a proper name for yourself. A lot of those studios have not really put out prestige titles

If microsoft finally start putting out games this generation its still a game of catch up imo, its not as if Nintendo and Sony would have stopped making big games by then

Last edited:

pasterpl

Okay, value then.

the PS5 digital is also cheaper than a series x and offers better hardware for less (PS5 Digital).

So, you're saving $20.

What are you talking about? Not only xbsx got disc drive but overall it is better piece of hardware (better balanced, more powerful, smaller form factor). Are you another Sony troll?

Re gamepass, there are 2 tiers there gamepass and gamepass ultimtate, you are comparing prices to the ultimate.

I see you clarified the hardware thing;

I meant the Series S

offers better hardware than a series S for less money than a series X, meaning the ps5 digital.

This sentence/comparison doesn’t make sense it is like saying, GeForce 3070 is better than 3050 for less money than 3090 - duh. Captain obvious.

Last edited:

Soosa

Banned
What are you talking about? Not only xbsx got disc drive but overall it is better piece of hardware (better balanced, more powerful, smaller form factor). Are you another Sony troll?
Re gamepass, there are 2 tiers there gamepass and gamepass ultimtate, you are comparing prices to the ultimate.
I see you clarified the hardware thing;

This sentence/comparison doesn’t make sense it is like saying, GeForce 3070 is better than 3050 for less money than 3090 - duh. Captain obvious.
I have both.

Series X:
+ less noise than PS5 (still audible, but fan noise is really mild)
- Controller feels old, worse stick placement (to me), no internal battery (3rd part options fix it)
- Series S have potential to limit games (budget, optimization, devs have to think about it)
- directX is higher level api vs. what ps5 uses
+ bit more teraflops on GPU
+ bit faster cpu
+- size, depending of the setup

PS5:
-coil whine is bit noisy, but tolerable. Fan noise is similar or little bit more than sxs (varies between units)
+ more innovative/feature packed controller, better stick placement (to me)
+ Only one hardware level, if devs want to make 1080p/30fps ultra high detail game, they dont have to think about lower spec machine
+ lower level APIs + good tools
+ OS doesnt have "burden of being windows based"
+ Much faster SSD (future shows if it is worth it)
+ better compression for data
- bit less tflops
+- faster gpu clock
- bit slower cpu
+- size, depending of the setup

Both have their sides, they are clearly really close to each other and most if all differences will come from tools+talent of devs. IMO PS5 feels more like next gen upgrade and sxs feels more like last gen on steroid without taking huge leaps in innovation.

There is no clear winner really, just variations and matter of taste. And clearly Series x does lot of right, as I used to be playstation super fan, but now I think series x is nice system.

The winner if the gamer, if they can buy both systems and get GPU from "super cheap conversion trick" and already have had ps+ for years, so there are thousands of games

Last edited:
I mean, those games still have to actually be good.

Who knows how shit with stuff like “project” still in their name that no one has seen will turn out, or contraband or Indiana jones. It takes more than just a big list of games in production to make a proper name for yourself. A lot of those studios have not really put out prestige titles

If microsoft finally start putting out games this generation its still a game of catch up imo, its not as if Nintendo and Sony would have stopped making big games by then
2022 was disappointing, but don't forget 2021 MS was publisher of the year and released some bangers. Next year is going to be another one.
So 2021 excellent. 2022 poor. 2023 excellent.
You can have an idea of how these games might turn out.
Forza MS? Turn 10 don't miss with their racing games. I think we can lock in the best driving sim on Xbox with it.
Hellblade 2? We know what Hellblade 1 was like, we know Ninja Theory are an excellent studio who punch above their weight, so I think this should be as good at least as the first Hellblade.
Quake? We know how good a game Quake is. We know how good id are as a developer. Not sure how this would be a miss.
Gears 6? I expect it's like Gears 5 but better looking. So, yeah, another Gears.
Starfield? It's Todd Howard. You can expect a certain quality of game.
Project Cobalt? It's InXile. Their pedigree is excellent. It should be a good to great game.
Redfall? It's Arkane. You kinda expect a typical Arkane game. Doubt it will be shit.

So I could go on, but alot of these games are known quantities.
It's like GOW Ragnorok. Was there any doubt that it would be a very similar experience as GOW 2018? Same dev. Same engine and assets. Not sure how it could bomb really.

Ronin_7

Banned
My biggest complaint is their PS+ Premium service. It is complete garbage and I'm very annoyed I was dumb enough to purchase it thinking Sony would surely add some cool classics to the library after launch. Especially with Jim Ryan("who wants to play that old shit anyway") in charge of the company.
It is but I'd rather have a garbage service than a garbage console available out there (Series S).

The service can improve, it's software but the hardware oh Boy the potato won't be getting better.

Brute

I bought the official Sony black covers for the PS5 and it now matches all of my living room equipment. It's no longer an eyesore.

I bought the Series X and PS5 at launch. I also subscribe to Game Pass Ultimate and PlayStation Premium. Both are excellent services and worth the money as I don't buy games anymore. Both consoles are impressive in their own right.

I also play games on my PC occasionally. My Switch is gathering dust.

The best way to do your gaming is this way if you can afford it. You're seriously missing out if you're loyal to one brand - and why anyone would feel they had to buy one specific console every year is beyond me. The 'Console Wars' are such cringefests.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
As usual, the enthusiast PlayStation crowd with no money issues struggles to face the fact that there's people out there who has different priorities in life.
This is extremely ironic coming from a forum where people pay >$1000 for new GPUs.
That's the reason nobody takes these price whining articles seriously.
Everyone is always gloating about their rigs but suddenly Playstation is too pricey.
Please...
Jagged Little Pill GIF by Alanis Morissette

Godot25

Banned
He is right. But not for reason he is writing.
But because Sony is preparing PS5 "Slim." So why would I waste 550€ now and gamble on "which version will I get" when I will get best version of a console in September 2023? There is literally nothing outside of Final Fantasy XVI (game that I don't care about in the slightest) announced first-party wise which has a concrete release date and is "PS5 only." Literally nothing.

And by the time that "PS5 slim" will arrive, Sony will maybe reconsider pricing of their console, because by that time supply will exceed demand.

Last edited:
And I wouldn't cling to the idea that MS first party prices will not increase as Phil Spencer has already hinted that may be coming but not until 2023. If I had to guess, I'd say Starfield will be $70.
But Starfield will be on GamePass for $1 a month, the best deal in gaming😉

Last edited:
Top Bottom