• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Techtelegraph: VR Headsets Don’t Sell Well. Sony and Apple May Not Change That

https://techtelegraph.co.uk/vr-headsets-dont-sell-well-sony-and-apple-may-not-change-that/
Despite all the talk about the metaverse in 2022, the VR headsets intended to be the window into this budding 3D world actually lost momentum last year. In December, headset tracker IDC projected the totality of 2022 shipments would dip 12.8% from 2021 but bounce back significantly and consistently from this year onward.

The impending return of Sony and potential entry of Apple into the headset business in 2023 would seem to be just what’s necessary to revitalize the category. But that’s not necessarily a given, as incumbent category leader Meta Platforms seems to be more focused on the high end of the market with its expensive Quest Pro product, while Apple doesn’t typically target the low end with any of its products.

Sony could also see its PlayStation VR 2 find a limited audience because of accessibility requirements. During a year when inflation could dull consumer appetites for pricey devices in general, don’t be surprised if the rebound projected for this category ends up fairly muted as the cheaper range of products where Meta made its breakthrough gets ignored.

But the big question mark is Apple. Reports indicate an overdue mixed-reality headset from Apple is due to be announced in the spring and shipped later in 2023. Allegedly called “Reality Pro,” this product puts Apple in direct competition with Meta Platforms.

Despite Meta’s difficulties on Wall Street as its Reality Labs division bleeds money, it doesn’t change the fact that the VR space has been dominated by Meta since its Quest 2 headset hit the market in 2020 and quickly overcame 2016’s PlayStation VR shipments.
qyQgPvJ.jpg

As the February release of Sony’s new PlayStation VR 2 headset approaches, the near disappearance of new PSVR shipments after 2020 laid out some tough lessons regarding the advent of VR and how its upfront cost and access requirements remain a difficult hurdle for companies to overcome.

While the PSVR2 has more built-in features meant to expedite the setup of its headset for consumers — only one cord needs to be plugged into the PlayStation 5 console versus a messy array of cords and connections for the first PSVR — Meta still offers a fully wireless VR experience.

On top of that, the presence of PlayStation 5 in the process still complicates the overall sell of PSVR 2, as both systems are pricey but necessary to access Sony’s exclusive VR offerings and wider library of third-party games, many of which are also accessible through Meta’s storefront.

Selling for as low as $400, Meta Quest 2 remains a far cheaper option than the $550 entry point for PSVR 2. When you add PS5 to the equation, the cost of entry shoots up to as much as $1,050 in North America or more if you’re buying elsewhere in the world, per recent price hikes Sony implemented.

Sony’s edge over Meta here beyond exclusive gaming experiences like “Horizon: Call of the Mountain” is that the PSVR 2, even with an adjoining PS5 system, is still cheaper than Meta’s own technically advanced headset upgrade via the Quest Pro, which launched in October 2022 at $1,500 per headset.

While PSVR 2 is a headset for the gaming market, the Quest Pro was launched alongside a bevy of partnerships meant to turn the headset into a tool as much as gaming hardware. Compatibility with Microsoft 365, Office and Teams, as well as additional access to the Xbox Game Pass library, show a Meta that is acting aggressively when it comes to defending its turf, even if it is simultaneously upping the cost of entry to its newer VR offering to its own detriment, potentially.

It remains anyone’s guess as to how Apple can disrupt this competition, if at all. But it should help that Apple isn’t reportedly treating its big VR entrance as a niche offshoot. Instead, Apple is making its Reality Pro offering the focus of its 2023, as opposed to its MacBook, Watch, TV or iPad products. Its purported status as a mixed-reality headset also means its visual features will extend to one’s physical surroundings as seen through the headset, rather than be fully confined to a computer-generated interior panel.

Additionally, Apple is the proprietor of the iPhone. Whatever its actual features are, it’s difficult to imagine Reality Pro won’t sport a variety of ways to integrate into the billion-plus active iPhones spread across the globe, an accessibility edge Apple would be foolish to ignore if it wants to drive a dent into Meta’s market share.

As for cost, Apple already offers monthly payment plans for its own pricey hardware, so it isn’t out of the question to expect a similar plan won’t be implemented to lower the access threshold and boost Reality Pro’s chances at widespread adoption.

Meta may have broken the ground it did at the turn of the decade when it was still known as Facebook. Sony and Apple are poised to eat into that market share this year, but how price-sensitive consumers are will determine just how much ground they gain on Meta.

I agree the IDC estimates aren't grounded in reality, we had a surprise nosedive of over 12% down for VR last year, and while there are many companies releasing headsets this year that may stop this year from being down compared to 2022, I don't see major growth unless Apple, DPVR, TCL, or Samsungs Headset becomes surprisingly popular. Then if so, that popularity has to be sustainable in the medium and long-term or once 2024 comes around that temporary interest will dissipate.

The cost of entry for VR is going upward, and while subsidization options could be done with Samsung and Apples existing network, the other brands will have a harder time creating that infrastructure from scratch, and it still would add to the monthly bill.

So far, the experiences just aren't there yet to cause people to run to VR again. At first they ran after the early VR headsets mostly for novelty, and for mobileVR which has nearly all but vanished, convenience. Then Quest 1& 2 came with improvements, slimmer builds, and cheaper prices being wireless and having part 2 of the novelty, but that has dropped off, and we ended up seeing consolidation to one headset because of the convenience and pricing barriers.

Now with the novelty gone, a new VR headset to rejuvenate the market (properly, not just one headset doing extremely well), will need to create something new, or do something new that will regenerate novel interest, while also addressing at least some of the turn-offs people have had with VR.

But the big thing is, that's the only way the market will prevent dying (again) for another 10-20 years. Unlike other products, the rush of headset makers, and suppliers into VR has not resulted in the traditional competition competing on price and accessibility. It seems the more effort goes into chasing VR, and the more attempts to compete legitimately, the higher the prices and other barriers of entry.

I would dare argue that 2023 is a make or break year for the current generation of VR, mainly between Sony, Bigscreen, TCL, Samsung, Apple, Quest 3, and DPLR needing to break through this year with a positive uptrend. Sony is first up to bat in 4 days.

ms must do a vr headset quick to end with this 'vr is dead' focking threads, it's like streaming all over again till we got the fantastic xcloud

Cloud Gaming is niche and three of 6 competitors withdrew or are on the verge of dropping out. Sony and MS are only doing better because they both have programs that include cloud with a sub to incentivize trying them out, but standalone is doomed outside the niche GeForce has.

Verchod

Company's need to keep plugging at it until it can be more affordable. We need good quality at a lower price, much lower than it is now, to like console price until it can be mainstream.

Convenience or cheap. That's how products sell, mostly.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I’ve had most major headsets and it’s shears the same thing:
- sweaty and annoyingly uncomfortable or tiresome
- never suitable for summer
- bad lenses with small sweet spots
- clunky on pc

Now, tracking and other stuff is perfect now but most important adds GAMES. It all comes down to lack of real games. Not the arcade or on rails constant talking crap.

The best time ever that I almost forgot I am wearing a headset was with cv1 and alyx.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Quest 3? It seems strange to not mention the latest release from the most succesful VR company.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The kinds of games on VR are mostly demo shit. Most gamers dont want something strapped to their face.

And probably the most important thing of all. Having a a brick sized thing on your face prevents you from doing other things easier..... check your phone, eat, drink, etc...

With a game pad, I can be playing games sitting normally on a sofa, slouching, and not giving a shit because I dont have to worry about needing space to turn my head or waving my arms with wrist controllers.

That's why VR games or a traditional game's VR mode are so gimped in content and gameplay length. Not the kinds of meaty games you'll sit there all afternoon gaming like a marathon session of COD, Skyrim or Fortnite.

Also, VR is a solo play thing. It would be pretty weird (if it's even possible) to do couch coop or playing FIFA against another player with one person doing VR, one person with a gamepad, or two people trying to pull off VR at once in the same living room? Doesn't sound practical at all.

There's that Meta article that even said the average VR gamer stops using it after 6 months. That sounds insanely bad since VR gaming is new and has tons of exclusive games built entirely for VR. And the games are cheap too. So it's definitely not a $70 US per VR game issue. Most of these VR games are probably more like $20. The gadget shouldnt already be dumped by 50% of gamers after half a year unless the software is bad and the experience crap. All those gamers just went back to traditional gamepad/kb/m gaming.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How cheap can Apple afford to make this headset if theirs.
Who knows.

But the ballpark price for PSVR2 or Quest Pro costs around the same as PS5 or a decent PC.

So if that logic still applies, Apple VR might cost the same as a decent Mac.

Last edited:

Neilg

I work in VR - I got every model of varjo, a quest pro, vive, rift etc in my office. It's paid my mortgage for the last 3 years.
I don't believe it will ever be mainstream. It's niche as hell and massively overvalued. I don't expect to be working in VR within a year or two once the novelty has worn off.

PSVR will remain an expensive toy accessory that people will splash out on and use to play a few games and to show off to friends/family. I mean it's like £480 for a PS5, £520 or something for the headset, and the library of games isn't good. It doesn't even play PSVR1 games lol.

Apple could take a huge nasty steamy spicy shit in a paper bag with the Apple logo and "Shit in California" on it and sell it to their fanboys for $3,000 and it'd still sell like crazy. I think the headset could do well but it depends how they plan to use it. While im sure we'll be able to play games on it I doubt that will be its main selling point which I think is something a lot of people don't seem to understand. To have huge market appeal it'll need to be sold as an iPhone/Mac accessory like the Watch. The Watch is an extension of your phone but what if instead of looking at your wrist all the time everything was displayed right in front of you?

I think there is a place for such a device and no doubt Apple will sell every unit they make but the price is severely extortionate. They definitely shouldn't be expecting a lot of sales but if they can get in to the market then maybe in a few years we will start to see cheaper models and have a line up of something like:

Reality SE - $900
Reality 3 - $1,500
Reality Pro - $2,200
Reality Ultra - $3,000

I know we don't know the name of the headset yet but it's rumoured to run on realityOS so I'm just going with Reality.

This headset, again, isn't about playing games. It's a mixed reality headset. The biggest selling point I think will be, at least for the first years, an accessory for your iPhone where you can walk around, see your surroundings, and get a HUD of all your information (like in a game). You could have a mini map/compass in the corner, live weather updates, pop up notifications for email/messages, live video calls, real time directions overlayed on streets, shops could have adverts/reviews overlayed onto their windows.

If this kind of AR/VR took off these headsets could end up replacing smartphones completely. Apple is rumoured to be putting one of their M chips in the headset so no doubt it will have a lot of processing power compared to an iPhone.

And don't forget, Apple, Facebook, Google, etc would love nothing more than to have you wear a headset. There is a lot more data to be harvested from you. Think about addicted people are to their phones...imagine having their phones strapped to their face and blurring the lines of reality even more. Why do you think all these major companies pushed so hard for the "metaverse"?

The metaverse isn't a virtual world where you sit around talking to 3d avatars. The metaverse is reality, augmented reality, and virtual reality.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I work in VR - I got every model of varjo, a quest pro, vive, rift etc in my office. It's paid my mortgage for the last 3 years.
I don't believe it will ever be mainstream. It's niche as hell and massively overvalued. I don't expect to be working in VR within a year or two once the novelty has worn off.
PSVR will remain an expensive toy accessory that people will splash out on and use to play a few games and to show off to friends/family. I mean it's like £480 for a PS5, £520 or something for the headset, and the library of games isn't good. It doesn't even play PSVR1 games lol.

Apple could take a huge nasty steamy spicy shit in a paper bag with the Apple logo and "Shit in California" on it and sell it to their fanboys for $3,000 and it'd still sell like crazy. I think the headset could do well but it depends how they plan to use it. While im sure we'll be able to play games on it I doubt that will be its main selling point which I think is something a lot of people don't seem to understand. To have huge market appeal it'll need to be sold as an iPhone/Mac accessory like the Watch. The Watch is an extension of your phone but what if instead of looking at your wrist all the time everything was displayed right in front of you?

I think there is a place for such a device and no doubt Apple will sell everything unit they make but the price is severely extortionate. They definitely shouldn't be expecting a lot of sales but if they can get in to the market then maybe in a few years we will start to see cheaper models and have a line up of something like:

Reality SE - $900
Reality 3 - $1,500
Reality Pro - $2,200
Reality Ultra - $3,000

I know we don't know the name of the headset yet but it's rumoured to run on realityOS so I'm just going with Reality.

This headset, again, isn't about playing games. It's a mixed reality headset. The biggest selling point I think will be, at least for the first years, an accessory for your iPhone where you can walk around, see your surroundings, and get a HUD of all your information (like in a game). You could have a mini map/compass in the corner, live weather updates, pop up notifications for email/messages, live video calls, real time directions overlayed on streets, shops could have adverts/reviews overlayed onto their windows.

If this kind of AR/VR took off these headsets could end up replacing smartphones completely. Apple is rumoured to be putting one of their M chips in the headset so no doubt it will have a lot of processing power compared to an iPhone.

And don't forget, Apple, Facebook, Google, etc would love nothing more than to have you wear a headset. There is a lot more data to be harvested from you. Think about addicted people are to their phones...imagine having their phones strapped to their face and blurring the lines of reality even more. Why do you think all these major companies pushed so hard for the "metaverse"?

The metaverse isn't a virtual world where you sit around talking to 3d avatars. The metaverse is reality, augmented reality, and virtual reality.
What’s you guys views on VR demand due to the other things we’ve seen?

1. Meta trying to drum up demand via social media metaverse way

2. MS promoting the corporate metaverse with people putting on goggles and pretending to be at the office.

Chance of success? Dead as a doorknob?

The stuff we’ve seen so far looks like shit.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

I think there is a place for such a device and no doubt Apple will sell every unit they make but the price is severely extortionate. They definitely shouldn't be expecting a lot of sales but if they can get in to the market then maybe in a few years we will start to see cheaper models and have a line up of something like:

Reality SE - $900
Reality 3 - $1,500
Reality Pro - $2,200
Reality Ultra - $3,000

No shit. Meta is obviously not burning billions of dollars to get people playing Beat Saber. They want to get in on the ground floor of what they see as the next smart phone like tech revolution.

What’s you guys views on VR demand due to the other things we’ve seen?

1. Meta trying to drum up demand via social media metaverse way

2. MS promoting the corporate metaverse with people putting on goggles and pretending to be at the office.

Chance of success? Dead as a doorknob?

The stuff we’ve seen so far looks like shit.
I'm no headset expert. Just a tech fan and someone who probably thinks too much about a dystopian cyberpunk future.

I don't think headsets are going away. There is too much potential for them. I really think that the world these companies imagine is one where every worker or consumer wears a headset. As I mentioned above, there is far too much data to be harvested and therefore money to be made. Look at Facebook...sorry Meta. They basically changed their whole identity and are sinking billions into headsets. Facebook love tracking you so it's no surprise they are going in hard.

It's also why Google, Microsoft and Apple want in. Apple likes to pretend they care about your privacy but they are more and more moving towards being an advertising/services company.

Apple could release their headset and in a few years the entire market could collapse but if that did happen I think in another 10-15 years we'd see headsets reappear...

Or Apple could release their headset and redefine what headsets are. I don't want to come off as an Apple fanboy but they do have a habit of entering an existing market, getting the product right, and becoming leaders of it. They done it with mp3 players, smartphones, tablets, and smartwatches.

At this point if anyone is going to kick the market to the next level it's Apple. We need to see what they do and if it's a success. I wouldn't underestimate them. People thought the iPhone was expensive and useless at launch. Same for the iPad and Apple Watch.

The world could look very different in a few years if they are a success and it might not be for the best. 5-10 years from now we might be wishing we were back in a world where we only used smartphones just like how people wish for a world without them now.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I’ve had most major headsets and it’s shears the same thing:
- sweaty and annoyingly uncomfortable or tiresome
- never suitable for summer
- bad lenses with small sweet spots
- clunky on pc

Now, tracking and other stuff is perfect now but most important adds GAMES. It all comes down to lack of real games. Not the arcade or on rails constant talking crap.

The best time ever that I almost forgot I am wearing a headset was with cv1 and alyx.
Similar experience here. The best experience for me is actually old ass Skyrim VR with mods that add HL Alyx physics and a player avatar with arms and body. Unfortunately gives me motion-sickness when running over uneven ground so have to take it slow.

Collecting dust now anyway.

Generally speaking I love VR but I’m out until the bigger devs show that they’re serious.

And I think the VR industry needs to walk away from platform exclusives and not letting you use whatever hardware you have. The VR market is too small for the usual platform bubble strategy. Just embrace and welcome every single one who show any interest and stop putting up annoying barriers that drive people away. Should hype up having the best support like they do with TVs.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Similar experience here. The best experience for me is actually old ass Skyrim VR with mods that add HL Alyx physics and a player avatar with arms and body. Unfortunately gives me motion-sickness when running over uneven ground so have to take it slow.

Collecting dust now anyway.

Generally speaking I love VR but I’m out until the bigger devs show that they’re serious.

And I think the VR industry needs to walk away from platform exclusives and not letting you use whatever hardware you have. The VR market is too small for the usual platform bubble strategy. Just embrace and welcome every single one who show any interest and stop putting up annoying barriers that drive people away. Should hype up having the best support like they do with TVs.
There is nothing worse than that fucking oculus store interacting with steamvr

hemo memo

Gold Member
May? It will not sell well. No “may” in that. Tech is still very very very early. Unless Apple comes with something that is out of this world small glasses size VR then I don’t see this tech getting anywhere for the general consumer.

Robb

Gold Member
I definitely don’t think they will change that, but even if they manage to grow the VR market by a couple of more percent I think that can be considered being fairly successful.

Fredrik

I definitely don’t think they will change that, but even if they manage to grow the VR market by a couple of more percent I think that can be considered being fairly successful.
It’s baby steps. Isn’t it time to move away from that by now? What generation of VR headset are we at now? 4? 5?

As long as we only get these rapidly iterated and isolated platforms, with mostly experimental smaller titles, and tiny userbases competing and locking each other away VR will stay niche.

Davevil

I think the best form of VR was those huge late 80's early 90's arcade cabinets, a real joy for those times
Today, nobody wants to use a helmet that causes motion sickness in some players and isolates you from the world

Robb

Gold Member
VR will stay niche
I personally don’t see the ‘VR-revolution’ some people seem to want happening (at least not with gaming) and think it’ll stay niche, which is why I also think growing the market by a couple percent would be a big deal.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I agree with the thread earlier that Sony should have released a handheld instead of vr.Same for Xbox.They are missing out and are letting Switch establish a monopoly of sort.All the kids care about is Switch.This can be damaging long term for both brands.

Steam deck has you covered. It's an incredible device and Sony or MS wouldn't come close to it...

...just need an oled screen replacement now.

Fredrik

I personally don’t see the ‘VR-revolution’ some people seem to want happening (at least not with gaming) and think it’ll stay niche, which is why I also think growing the market by a couple percent would be a big deal.
Problem for those who like VR is that niche means spending lots of money to play maybe a handful of quality games on each headset. Those who has been there from the start are probably on their 5th or more headset by now. And personally I don’t applaud Apple stepping in and increasing the price, others will surely follow and one more major player will just fragment the industry even further. Most core console gamers has already accepted that you need 3 consoles to get access to all big games. Do we need 3 or more VR headsets to get access to all big VR games as well?

Robb

Gold Member
Do we need 3 or more VR headsets to get access to all big VR games as well?
I think that’ll be the case for a while at least. It’s the same thing with all the streaming services that are available today if you want to watch different films. Everyone owns something and want you to purchase their service to watch it. In a few years, as competition and price-wars heat up, I doubt many of the streaming services we have today will still be around.

VR is a much bigger investment though and not all companies can afford to keep it going so maybe things will move quicker in this space. But in the end there’ll probably only be a few really major players to choose between, kinda like with the consoles.

That’s all speculation on my part though.

Fredrik

I think that’ll be the case for a while at least. It’s the same thing with all the streaming services that are available today if you want to watch different films. Everyone owns something and want you to purchase their service to watch it. In a few years, as competition and price-wars heat up, I doubt many of the streaming services we have today will still be around.

VR is a much bigger investment though and not all companies can afford to keep it going so maybe things will move quicker in this space. But in the end there’ll probably only be a few really major players to choose between, kinda like with the consoles.

That’s all speculation on my part though.
That’s why I’m out, for now.

But I’ve at least invested in stocks for the PSVR2 launch, if by miracle it becomes a huge success and I earn some money to cut the cost in half I could see myself buying it. But Apple needs to pull some gigantic rabbit out of the hat plus have Apple Arcade filled with VR content for me to even consider investing in their thing. And I say that as someone heavily invested in the iOS ecosystem. I’m just tired of spending money on plastic for potentially great things that never reach my expectations.

I didn't buy PSVR1 because of its low resolution and the PS4's weak APU.

PSVR2 is ultra high definition and powered by the PS5's 3.5GHz CPU and 10 TFlops GPU.
With foveated rendering further increasing the quality of what you'll actually see significantly.
OLED HDR at 120 frames per second.

This thing is gonna fly.

Not enough games.
There are enough games but not enough good quality games that are exclusive experience, Alyx and what couple more games don't make a good product value. I fire my playstation or PC (When I still had one) and there was hundreds of good games from many genres. I am not asking ready player one but something that will have interesting graphics,story and gameplay.

Mr.Phoenix

OK... I am just going to put this here.

In 2017, total discrete GPU shipments were estimated to be 52M. Yes, a whopping 52M. This includes discrete GPU for desktops, laptops, servers....etc. I am highlighting 2017 because it was the best year in GPU shipments in the past 6 years. Eg, in 2022, it's tracking at under 35M. So let's just stick to the higher number instead.

Why is this important and relevant to this thread? Good thing you asked.

How many of those discrete GPU sales do you think were say, of the 3090? How many of those GPU sakes were for GPUs over $1000? While Nvidia and AMD never give clear hard data (obviously there's a reason for that), it's fair to assume, based on steam adoption-charts, that those high-end GPUs are the least performant of them. And this is important because if you just looked at media coverage and chatter, forums and whatnot would be forgiven to think that the high-end GPUs are the best seeing of the bunch and everyone that owns a PC has one of them in it.

That don't be further from the truth if we tried.

Now how that ties to this thread, VR... is no different. It does not have to see 100M units to be deemed a success at the stage we are at. They just have to see enough to make software support viable. The PSVR2 costs what it costs probably because sony, is not subsidizing its price. They are probably making some profit off the hardware.Even if it is just $30. Because they understand, that its a very niche, premium accessory that for now,no one actually needs. But it keeps its foot in the door, so when or if it does takeoff, the PSVR would stand to be amongst the most relevant of VR providers.

Mainstream, 100-200M+ VR adoption is over 10+ years away. But to ever get to that, we have to first go through here.

TonyK

I think it will slowly die as the 3D for home. I was waiting for VR since the eighties, but then I tried it (I had PSVR and Quest2) and felt totally disappointed. It's nothing closer to I imagined. It's immersive but also uncomfortable, exhausting and nauseating. Well, and limited. Too much "experiences" that would be boring without VR, and almost nothing that pushes videogames further (I didn't tried Alyx, but it's only one game).

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I think it will slowly die as the 3D for home. I was waiting for VR since the eighties, but then I tried it (I had PSVR and Quest2) and felt totally disappointed. It's nothing closer to I imagined. It's immersive but also uncomfortable, exhausting and nauseating. Well, and limited. Too much "experiences" that would be boring without VR, and almost nothing that pushes videogames further (I didn't tried Alyx, but it's only one game).
Just comparing VR to 3D TV's it already outlasted that so....

Fun fact: you can watch 3D movies with VR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom