• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Engineering unveils the OP-1 Field instrument

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Teenage Engineering, the Swedes who came up with one great product (OP-1) 11 years ago, one line of pretty fun products (Pocket Operator), and one kind of interesting television remote (OP-Z), have remade their aging, overpriced portable electronic music idea box into the same thing, but smaller, lighter, and with some new features in all caps:

New Features said:
ALL NEW LOW PROFILE ALUMINUM BODYHIGH RESOLUTION FLUSH DISPLAYINTERNAL FM ANTENNA FOR BOTH RX AND TXEIGHT SWAPPABLE TAPES FOR RECORDINGFOUR DIFFERENT TAPE STYLESALL NEW DRUM KIT PACKSNEW REVERB EFFECT: MOTHER
NEW SYNTH ENGINE: DIMENSION NEW SPEAKER WITH PASSIVE RADIATORMFI - IPHONE USB MIDI AND AUDIO CONNECTIVITYBATTERY LIFE INCREASED TO 24HSLIMMER AND SLEEKER PROFILE NEW COLOR SCHEMEDUAL VELCRO® BACK FASTENERSTWENTY NEW PRESET SYNTH PATCHESZOOMED IN SAMPLE EDITINGBLUETOOTH LOW ENERGY FOR WIRELESS MIDIPRO QUALITY 32-BIT AUDIO THROUGHOUT THE SIGNAL CHAINSTEREO MIXDOWN FROM SYNTH AND DRUM TO STEREO TAPE TRACKSSTEREO DRUM SAMPLER ENGINEIMPROVED DRUM ENVELOPE FOR BETTER TRANSIENT CONTROLDRUM SAMPLE STACKINGSTEREO AUDIO INPUT PROCESSINGIMPROVED TAPE LOOPINGSTEREO SYNTH SAMPLER ENGINEOVER 160 MINUTES OF SAMPLE STORAGE4-POLE AUDIO JACK FOR HEADSET MIC SUPPORTCONFIGURABLE MIDI FILTERINGNEW VOLUME SETTING PER PATCHAFTERBURNER GROUND LOOP NOISE SUPPRESSOR
BUILT-IN USER GUIDEDUAL BLE ANTENNAS FOR STABLE WIRELESS PERFORMANCENEW AND IMPROVED BUILT-IN MICROPHONE
ADDED ENCODER CLICK FUNCTIONALITYTAPE NAME EDITORNEW EXTERNAL VELOCITY LFONEW RANGE OF CUSTOM ACCESSORIESUP TO 500 USER PATCHESADJUSTABLE PITCH BEND RANGEAUTOMATIC HEADPHONE IMPEDANCE ADJUSTMENTBLE ADVERTISING TOGGLEBLE CENTRAL FOR CONNECTING CONTROLLERSBLE CONNECTION LIST VIEWBUILT-IN FM RADIO TRANSMISSIONCHARGE POWER STATUS LEDSCLICK TO HOLD SEQUENCERCOMPLETELY REWORKED UICUSTOM MIDI SETTINGS FOR CONNECTED DEVICESCUSTOM VOLUME ENCODER WITH HIGHER RESOLUTION
DETAILED COUNTRY SETTINGS FOR RADIODUAL ROLE USB TYPE C CONNECTORERGONOMIC POWER SWITCHULTRA-FIDELITY HEADPHONE OUTPUTHIGH RESOLUTION ACCELEROMETER
IMPROVED AVERAGING FOR A MORE RELIABLE TAP TEMPOIMPROVED EQUALIZER WITH HIGHER RESOLUTION AND SMOOTHER INTERPOLATIONIMPROVED INPUT SIGNAL TO LFO WITH SMOOTHER ENVELOPEADJUSTABLE MIDI FILTERINGREFINED ORIGINAL PATCHESINCREASE TO 256 MB INTERNAL MEMORY
IMPROVED ENVELOPE FOLLOW IN NITRO EFFECTMORE RANDOM LFO TARGET PARAMETERS
INCREASED TOMBOLA SIMULATION ACCURACY
MTP CONTENT MANAGEMENTNEW CUSTOM USB CABLENEW FACTORY SEQUENCER PRESETSNEW FONTNEW FORM FACTORNEW HIGH RESOLUTION VU LED METERNEW HOLD SEQUENCERNEW KEYBOARD MODULEIMPROVED LINE IN SIGNAL QUALITYNEW METRONOME SOUNDNEW PACKAGINGNEW PAN LFO TARGETNEW SAWTOOTH AND SQUARE LFO SHAPESNEW SKETCH IMAGEOB–4 COMPATIBLE USING FM TX OR WIREPOP-UP INFO GRAPHICSPRECISE MASTER LEVEL METERSPRINTED MANUAL INCLUDEDQR CODE GUIDE LINKREFINED ACOUSTIC SIDE SHOOTING LOUDSPEAKER GRILLSAVE TEMPO AND SYNC SETTINGS WITH TAPESSCREEN BRIGHTNESS CONTROLSMOOTH KNOB INTERPOLATIONSTEREO CLUSTER SYNTH ENGINESTEREO DIGITAL SYNTH ENGINESTEREO FM SYNTH ENGINESTEREO PHASE SYNTH ENGINESTEREO PULSE SYNTH ENGINESTEREO STRING SYNTH ENGINESTEREO TAPE TRACKSSTEREO VOLTAGE SYNTH ENGINESYSTEM SETTINGSUSB AUDIO HOSTUSB AUDIO/MIDI DIRECT CONNECTIVITY TO OP–Z, TX–6, OP–1 AND COMPATIBLE DEVICESUSB MIDI HOSTUSER PATCH RENAMEWIRELESS MIDI CONNECTIVITY TO OP–Z AND TX–6

All for the low low price of $1999!

Could you buy a Macbook Pro for that much and do one million times more with electronic music production than you could with this? Yes, yes you could. But techbros already have those, so this is something new to buy.

Also newly available, the TX-6 portable mixer:

HXyhOcT.png

It's a mixer. Only $1199.

Winter John

Looks pretty good. Infinite overdubs is nice. I thought Roland would try and muscle in on TE's pocket line at some point. They're going after Korg's Volca Line at the moment.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Looks pretty good. Infinite overdubs is nice. I thought Roland would try and muscle in on TE's pocket line at some point. They're going after Korg's Volca Line at the moment.
Hadn’t seen those Roland Aira Compacts yet. Very cool, and nice price point.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
OP-1 is such a limited overpriced piece of shit. OP-Z has shitbuild quality. I saw review for that mixer and adult cannot turn the knobs, how tiny those are.

Only good product TI makes is those pocket operators. I myself have a drum machine from them. For like 30 bucks.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It's interesting because before companies like Behringer started "innovating" by means of copying popular designs and manufacturing them for pennies in China, audio production equipment used to cost good money. And somehow Teenage Engineering have tapped onto something that allows them price their stuff really high. It's fascinating to me.

Winter John

Hadn’t seen those Roland Aira Compacts yet. Very cool, and nice price point.
Yeah. I was surprised they're part of the Aira line. I thought Roland had abandoned it. I got an MX1 lying around somewhere. It's a nice mixer but it's output is limited by the 4 usb slots that only accept Aira gear. I never understood why Roland hampered it like that.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
They truly are trying to be the Apple of music production, not only the price but the lack of features and connections.

I mean it looks like a fun toy, but I'll stick with Roland, Korg and Arturia.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I got an Akai MPC One and a battery bank at Christmas for making tunes on the go. It cost me £600 and does everything this does and more for a fraction of the price. Hipster shite indeed

Oh man I want that retro color one so bad

R.7aca6bee8264fea40c4cb68f65b84dcc

Currently using MPC Beats as a DAW with an Akai MPK Mini as controller, so I guess I could easily pivot to this device and use it instead of my PC, right? I would like to move all my music stuff to a spare bedroom but I want my PC still in my office / game room, and I don't feel like buying another PC just for music at this time...

NeoGuff

Banned
Oh man I want that retro color one so bad

R.7aca6bee8264fea40c4cb68f65b84dcc

Currently using MPC Beats as a DAW with an Akai MPK Mini as controller, so I guess I could easily pivot to this device and use it instead of my PC, right? I would like to move all my music stuff to a spare bedroom but I want my PC still in my office / game room, and I don't feel like buying another PC just for music at this time...
Yeah ive got a pc with with Reason 11 and a Mac with logic pro and midi keyboards to use at home. but its nice to have everything in one box with the mpc one that just does music and nothing else. Theres literally nothing out there that can do everything the mpc one can do for the size and price. Also it gets fairly regular updates that add new features next update is version 2.11 next month on 23rd of june

Top Bottom