• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge | Review Thread

Since I reviewed the game on PC and I had to go through Adventure Mode to unlock Casey Jones, I leave the savegame file for those who want it so you can play Arcade Mode with him right from the start: https://www.pcmrace.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/GameSave.zip

Just place the file "GameSave.sav" in the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\-you user number-\1361510\remote\".
I don't suppose you know the location of where to put it from the Windows Store?

SkylineRKR

They nailed it indeed.

This looks like a proper homage to the 80's cartoon, its full of character. The graphics are perfect, though the characters look kinda weird at first, they are smaller and fatter than the In Time and OG arcade versions. But they absolutely nailed the cartoon vibe. I think it looks better than SoR4. Its not as sharp, but it has more color, more going on, more nostalgia. Its like playing an actual pixelated 90's coin op.

The gameplay I feel is a proper evolution of this franchise. Its not as deep or as good as SoR, but its better than In Time. Its very accessible but you can juggle, launch and do some combos etc.

Foilz

Banned
I'm installing now. All I care about is the difficulty of the game. Is it challenging or a walk in the park

They nailed it indeed.

This looks like a proper homage to the 80's cartoon, its full of character. The graphics are perfect, though the characters look kinda weird at first, they are smaller and fatter than the In Time and OG arcade versions. But they absolutely nailed the cartoon vibe. I think it looks better than SoR4. Its not as sharp, but it has more color, more going on, more nostalgia. Its like playing an actual pixelated 90's coin op.

The gameplay I feel is a proper evolution of this franchise. Its not as deep or as good as SoR, but its better than In Time. Its very accessible but you can juggle, launch and do some combos etc.

Pretty much my thoughts too. Only minor criticism is that I play on a laptop (which is fine) but also on a Series X connected to a 47" TV which I sit about 3' away - the pixels are huge lol

Tygeezy

How is the combat i'm comparison to streets of rage 4? turtles games were a simpler beat em up. Have they added any depth or is it pretty much turtles in time?

cireza

Banned
Unpopular opinion time: I think Scanline filters are terrible and I can't understand people who want to force scanlines on modern LED displays.
They mitigate many problems related to the scrolling of the background on these shit screens. But they require an integer scaled output.

How is the combat i'm comparison to streets of rage 4? turtles games were a simpler beat em up. Have they added any depth or is it pretty much turtles in time?
I'm a Streets of Rage 4 master, so if you don't get an answer I'll let you know later tonight.

99% chance it's a lot more casual and is not even close to SoR4. Should still be fun though. They do have some ball buster achievements though so maybe it is improved.

saintjules

Curious to know too. It screams Turtles in Time, but souped up because of the specials.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Can you inject reshade on the game pass version? The game looks HIDEOUS on a TV screen. Looks like a GBA emulated game with no filters on.

Were these devs on crack? How can you not add a CRT/scanlimes /LCD filter to the game. It's IQ 101 with pixel art games on a big screen.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Can you inject reshade on the game pass version? The game looks HIDEOUS on a TV screen. Looks like a GBA emulated game with no filters on.

Were these devs on crack? How can you not add a CRT/scanlimes /LCD filter to the game. It's IQ 101 with pixel art games on a big screen.
I bet filters get patched in. Seems like a no brainer to have it in front the start but who knows

Nydius

Absolutely hits all the right nostalgia buttons and gameplay beats. But for a game that's so heavily focused on coop, I can't help but feel Dotemu should have gone the extra mile to put in cross-play capabilities.

I have friends spread out across all four platforms, getting 4 to 6 of us together on a single platform is like herding cats -- and since I'm not going to buy the game four separate times (well, three separate times plus Game Pass), there will be friends I simply won't be able to play this with, which makes me sad.

Agreed. Playing on the Switch in handheld looks absolutely fantastic without filters. Playing on Xbox on a 27" PC monitor it is pretty jarring. I would hate to see what it looks like on our main living room 50" TV.

Edit -
Forgot to include: Team Donatello for life, yo.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Absolutely hits all the right nostalgia buttons and gameplay beats. But for a game that's so heavily focused on coop, I can't help but feel Dotemu should have gone the extra mile to put in cross-play capabilities.

I have friends spread out across all four platforms, getting 4 to 6 of us together on a single platform is like herding cats -- and since I'm not going to buy the game four separate times (well, three separate times plus Game Pass), there will be friends I simply won't be able to play this with, which makes me sad.

For a $25 game and a small publisher like them it might not be possible for them to pay the cross-play fee certain platform holders have.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Has cross-saves, don't know if it has cross-play yet.

But most PlayAnywhere MP titles do. Will check later tonight when I can.
Found it,
That’s it. There is no crossplay between the PlayStation, Xbox, or Switch consoles. However, Dotemu has stated that crossplay between the consoles is something they are looking into down the road.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Are they really charging £17 for a 2 hour game on PSN , GP and delete!
tmnt GIF

Krathoon

Do you not know about Metal Jesus and his crew? *gasp*

They are big game collectors up in Washington state. That place is like the retro gaming mecca of the U.S.
It is weird because you would think all the moisture would cause disc rot and corrosion.

RAIDEN1

This is no overblown statement to say that this game is probably the best turtles game since 1992/1993...considering all that has come after that (with the exception of the 2007 DS release maybe..)

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Did any of these reviewers had to buy their own copy and gave it minimal a week before racing to their apple macbook pro to share their initial enthusiasm? Honoust question. Who am I kidding.

Last edited:

Krathoon

There is a collectors PC version on Limited Run. I have been thinking about getting it to have a physical copy.

This will probably be a collector's item.

Top Bottom