• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection Releases on August 30

nikos

hVY3k9o.jpeg

I'll finally have my revenge.

EDIT: Looks like I'm not the only one. It's time
to lose our minds again.

Last edited:

rkofan87

Gold Member
Do we all agree that SNES Turtles in Time is the best game in this package?

I own the original (cart) versions of some of the games in this collection, and to me, SNES Turtles in Time is the best. The second one is probably NES Turtles III.

Just to remind myself I wasn't crazy, a few nights ago I popped in Tournament Fighters in my SNES. And it's... It's not very good. The only reason I keep it around is because I grew up such a huge fan of the Ninja Turtles in general.
what about nes tmnt 3?

Yep that one. The one Contra fans hated. I know it wasn't traditional Contra but I really enjoyed the game and what it tried to do.
Yeah I didn't have a problem with it. In fact I thought it had some near aspects/ideas.

Sounds interesting. Was it better with the depth effect or better without it? You think they could they add any filter options to simulate it?
You bring up really interesting ideas.

I unfortunately don't remember the exact effect or whether it was a benefit. What I do remember is that we didn't use the glasses again after the first time.

what about nes tmnt 3?
I thought it was good when I played it. It's been a while though.

BlackTron

First time i played the arcade version of Turtles in Time i also emulated it. At first i thought the game was buggy and not emulated correctly. I thought there was no way these slippery controls and movements, chaotic gameplay and randomly generated button mashing moves are the real game.

Turns out, it was the real game. So i agree, if 4 players is what you need, Shredder's Revenge is the way to go.

I'd still kill for a romhack of Turtles in Time with 4p though. Although that would be very unlikely, highly complex and full of problems to fix.

Neff

Do we all agree that SNES Turtles in Time is the best game in this package?

It's up there but no. The first arcade game is irreplaceably special to me. Seeing it for the first time blew my teenage mind. I didn't know what TMNT was back then but after seeing it in arcades I wanted to. It was so colourful, so fluidly and brilliantly animated, so vividly confident, and with such catchy music. I bought the comic books and saw the movie and fell in love with them. I bought all of Konami's subsequent TMNT games- NES, Game Boy, SNES, everything. There's an immediacy and finesse to the 1989 game which even Turtles in Time doesn't quite have, not even the SNES version. I have the 1-up cab in my bedroom and it's my single favourite piece of furniture.

SNES Turtles in Time is a classic, no doubt about it. But for me the original arcade game was one of those rare gaming moments of love at first sight.

Just need Goemon/Mystical Ninja games

Sounds like a plan.

joedan

Came in to say the TMNT NES is a great game. Haters be damned. Much more strategic and deep than the jump kick jump kick jump kick sequels.

Speaking of damn, the level with the dam was not that hard.

Last edited:
It's up there but no. The first arcade game is irreplaceably special to me. Seeing it for the first time blew my teenage mind. I didn't know what TMNT was back then but after seeing it in arcades I wanted to. It was so colourful, so fluidly and brilliantly animated, so vividly confident, and with such catchy music. I bought the comic books and saw the movie and fell in love with them. I bought all of Konami's subsequent TMNT games- NES, Game Boy, SNES, everything. There's an immediacy and finesse to the 1989 game which even Turtles in Time doesn't quite have, not even the SNES version. I have the 1-up cab in my bedroom and it's my single favourite piece of furniture.

SNES Turtles in Time is a classic, no doubt about it. But for me the original arcade game was one of those rare gaming moments of love at first sight.

Sounds like a plan.
Awesome writeup. I never played the 1989 arcade game as a kid, but I can kind of see where you're coming from. I'm the same way with Final Fight -- the 1989 arcade original was NEVER surpassed by any of its console ports or the SNES sequels.

Last edited:

Neff

Awesome writeup. I never played the 1989 arcade game as a kid, but I can kind of see where you're coming from. I'm the same way with Final Fight -- the 1989 arcade original was NEVER surpassed by any of its console ports or the SNES sequels.

Exactly and I think most people would say the same. Final Fight in 1989 was a revelation. In two short years we went from Double Dragon and Renegade to that, and it was a shock. Just seeing Cody's unbelievably detailed walk animation alone made it obvious that it was a huge leap over anything else at the time. Golden Axe and TMNT followed suit the same year and nothing was the same ever again. Even Final Fight's sequels, good as they are, never had the same visual impact, and never recaptured the same seedy, cynical grit and squalor. Fantastic game.

Hmm. Do I want revenge on NES Turtles? I'm not sure, if I do it'd certainly be on the cart or an emulator, not some bullshit commercial ROM collection.

I think I recall getting to the Technodrome a few times... maybe the final boss.. its been over 30 years at this point ffs. I thought I did pretty good for a young kid on that bullshit game. I recognized that it was kind of shit but grew to like it anyway.

Nok Su Kow

I want the uncensored Japanese version of Tmnt Tournament Fighters.

I hope they can put it.

It was confirmed that it will when they announced it

BlackTron

The fact that the camera moves around the turtle lair to look at stuff like boxes and manuals has reinvigorated my hype for this game.

It's a little silly that these games existed for SO long and Konami couldn't do this when it would have been REALLY useful, before Shredder's Revenge came along to plug the hole of a co-op Turtles game. I still think it's laughable that it came out first.

Rran

Wow, the presentation and extras of this collection are staggeringly good. They really went above and beyond!

WorldHero

What are you referring to? a problem with the collection or the originals?
Depending on the emulation technique used for some games, there could be input lag or delayed response with the button presses. The devs seem pretty passionate about this collection so I assume it's been looked at.

Rran

Still need to know about the music, if they changed the theme in the Arcade game.
According to the video a few posts earlier, the TMNT original arcade game has a cover of the theme song that plays at the beginning. TMNT: Turtles in Time (arcade) keeps its original Pizza Power theme. The rest of the music is unchanged as far as I know.

Last edited:

ManaByte

According to the video a few posts earlier, the TMNT original arcade game has a cover of the theme song that plays at the beginning. TMNT: Turtles in Time (arcade) keeps its original Pizza Power theme. The rest of the music is unchanged as far as I know.

A cover is fine, that's what Shredder's Revenge did.

Needlecrash

The fact that the camera moves around the turtle lair to look at stuff like boxes and manuals has reinvigorated my hype for this game.

It's a little silly that these games existed for SO long and Konami couldn't do this when it would have been REALLY useful, before Shredder's Revenge came along to plug the hole of a co-op Turtles game. I still think it's laughable that it came out first.
You gotta remember....LICENSING. Around 2005 or so, Konami lost the TMNT license. Ubisoft took over for a bit and then Game Arts for the Smash Up clone. Now that the franchise is owned by Nickelodeon (ViacomCBS), they struck a deal with Konami and they wasted 0 expense. Digital Eclipse literally said they don't know if they will ever have the chance to do this again, so they went balls to the wall with this collection.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned

I was way more excited for this than Shreddar’s Revenge (as great as it was). I’m all about the nostalgia with this series.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
So have they shown any of the screen config modes yet? Castlevania and contra collections both have no way to play 4:3 without their awful scan lines. Was probably the biggest oversight ever and the main reason I just play those games on my raspberry pi.

Please tell me they aren’t stupid enough to do this a 3rd time.

93xfan

Banned
So have they shown any of the screen config modes yet? Castlevania and contra collections both have no way to play 4:3 without their awful scan lines. Was probably the biggest oversight ever and the main reason I just play those games on my raspberry pi.

Please tell me they aren’t stupid enough to do this a 3rd time.
I felt the scan lines in those games were excellent if you were trying to emulate what a game looked like on a common CRT through an RFU cable. Good amounts of color bleed and everything. i hate overly sharp scanlines.

Playing on a plasma, btw.

Rayderism

I saw some demo vids on YT and it seemed screen size and scanlines are separate settings. I could be wrong about that, but that's what it looked like. What I did notice is that this collection will have an awesome presentation with all kinds of flash and extras. It's SO much more than just a bunch of old ROMs in a compilation.

The one thing I'm wondering is if the PS4 and PS5 versions are just one version or two separate versions. And if they are two separate versions, are they crossbuy? Basically, drive space is a concern and I have a lot more PS4 space on a USB drive than on the PS5 SSD's.

Either way, it's a day1 buy for me.

Last edited:

Himuro

Had to go to the site to get a full list Original arcade, Turtles in Time, and Hyperstone Heist get in but for 40?

• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (Arcade)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (NES)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project (NES)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (NES)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (Super Nintendo)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (Super Nintendo)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (Sega Genesis)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (Sega Genesis)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of The Foot Clan (Game Boy)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back From The Sewers (Game Boy)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Radical Rescue (Game Boy)

Came in to say the TMNT NES is a great game. Haters be damned. Much more strategic and deep than the jump kick jump kick jump kick sequels.

Speaking of damn, the level with the dam was not that hard.

I came in to say the exact same thing. Yes, the damn level is not that hard -- some of the later levels are challenging without the correct strategy. And indeed, the game as a whole is fun and sophisticated.

This package rests on how well the emulation has been implemented, lag, visual quality, etc. which remains to be seen. I found the Wii version of TMNT NES too laggy.

RAIDEN1

I came in to say the exact same thing. Yes, the damn level is not that hard -- some of the later levels are challenging without the correct strategy. And indeed, the game as a whole is fun and sophisticated.

This package rests on how well the emulation has been implemented, lag, visual quality, etc. which remains to be seen. I found the Wii version of TMNT NES too laggy.
Well hopefully it has been worth the (long) wait...unlike say what Capcom did with the fighting collection (which wasn't an extended wait I mean)....not everyday or console generation you get a Cowbunga collection, so they have to absolutely nail it..

Last edited:

Needlecrash

Had to go to the site to get a full list Original arcade, Turtles in Time, and Hyperstone Heist get in but for 40?

• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (Arcade)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (NES)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project (NES)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (NES)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (Super Nintendo)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (Super Nintendo)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (Sega Genesis)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (Sega Genesis)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of The Foot Clan (Game Boy)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back From The Sewers (Game Boy)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Radical Rescue (Game Boy)
Hell. Hyperstone Heist cart only will run you $77.50.

BlackTron

I don’t like relying on emulation as a means to play games that are special to me.

In general I just like to own games that I enjoy, whether for nostalgia or any other reason.

You could have emulated them yes, or you could have used original hardware. In fact I have a real copy of Turtles in Time firmly planted in my SNES. This collection is just another way of emulating the games for convenience anyway.

I get your preference but that doesn't change the fact that these games have always been out there to play, real copy or not, whereas SR is a new game.

RAIDEN1

You could have emulated them yes, or you could have used original hardware. In fact I have a real copy of Turtles in Time firmly planted in my SNES. This collection is just another way of emulating the games for convenience anyway.

I get your preference but that doesn't change the fact that these games have always been out there to play, real copy or not, whereas SR is a new game.
I 2nd this...though for me it is a case of I have both tournament fighters and TMNT -Turtles in time on the SNES Mini...but I have barely touched, them....at least in this collection you get to play as more characters in tournament fighters for the SNES then you ever did on other emulated versions or the cartridge?

Top Bottom