• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection Releases on August 30

RAIDEN1

Konami seemed reluctant to even support the Genesis in that era. They were primarily a Nintendo dev. They only started making Genesis games after the success of it in North America.
That and Sega were too busy with their 32x and Saturn project to even think, "Hey konami you are giving us a 2nd rate version here! Get Hypersone Heist on the Sega CD and make it on par with the SNES version dammit! " :messenger_grinning_smiling:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Anyone know if the cheats work and if so, where to enter them? I see them in the “strategy guide” and it says to enter them in the options menu but I think I’m doing it wrong.
What codes are you trying to use? I can only remember the extra lives codes for TMNT 2 that you punched in with the 2nd controller (I think).

Mostly curious cause the games have the rewind feature. I haven't booted my copy up yet but I assume all the games are able to rewind.

Krathoon

Of course, my internet goes down just after downloading the game and while I am downloading some Rockstar games.
Good thing downloaders can resume these days. That used to be an issue long ago.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
2- Radical Rescue from the sounds of it needs a modern make-over- a.s.a.p! To free it from the constraints of what the Gameboy could do in terms of looks and sound....of all the systems to put it on why couldn't they put it on the 16 bit systems?
Different times. GB development was easier and shorter, and that kind of game wouldn't find success on the 16-bits. By that time, Turtles games were all about fighting. Nobody wanted a Turtles platformer/Metroidvania, woulda looked like a waste of good graphics.
Fortunately there were many different machines with different audiences on the market, which is why the humble GB would get some awesome concepts made into games for it that wouldn't have even been green lit otherwise.

ManaByte

Looks like a decent trophy list too for the platinum, they all seem to be for beating each game except the last 3

Trophy List
challenge accepted training GIF

fart town usa

Gold Member
I don't want to cause board-wide alarm but the controls feel a bit delayed, in the original NES game at least. Trying to play the arcade game online was laggy as can be too but that could 100% be my aDSL internet, lol. I was on wireless too, plugged the ethernet in and gonna try again.

Anyone else notice any issues?

Playing on a PS5.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Yeah. There is slowdown on the online multiplayer. There is also a frame adjuster you can crank up for that.
I am tempted to try the online with some randos. The arcade games are fun with multiple people.

Crew511A

I didn't notice any input lag, but I didn't get a chance to play it much. The only real complaint I have is that the new intro song for the arcade game is horrible. Maybe it's just nostalgia speaking.

The amount of extras they packed into this collection is incredible. Talk about setting a new standard.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yea, anything over 2 people in coop causes the game to lag like crazy, for me at least. I'll chalk it up to Day 1 issues.

Shame that I can't find any active lobbies for Tournament Fighters.:messenger_grinning_sweat:. I think it's hilarious that game has online coop. Watch it be in EVO next year (if it's not already).

kunonabi

I didn't notice any input lag, but I didn't get a chance to play it much. The only real complaint I have is that the new intro song for the arcade game is horrible. Maybe it's just nostalgia speaking.

The amount of extras they packed into this collection is incredible. Talk about setting a new standard.
It's not nostalgia it really is trash.

ManaByte

It's not nostalgia it really is trash.

It's a cover of the original song. The same one used in Shredder's Revenge. Fred Wolf owns the original song, so it's like the Michael Jackson music in Sonic 3; you'll never see it officially released again.

• Empathy
Reactions: RNG

RoboFu

One of the green rats

Chuck lore must want too much money.

ManaByte

Chuck lore must want too much money.

It's not Chuck Lorre (who wrote the song), but Fred Wolf. Nickelodeon owns everything about TMNT, except for the original 1987 Fred Wolf series (and the theme music to that). Fred Wolf is holding on to that show Harmony Gold style and no one can use anything from it or its theme music without paying him.

Krathoon

I am totally fine with the new song. They use a woman when singing "Heroes in a half shell.".
I imagine it is supposed to be April saying that.

Tigerlord

I've been playing the Switch version, but i found something odd. The main theme continues to play drowning out all other music in game.
Is there a way to turn it off? It happens only when i play online.

Krathoon

I've been playing the Switch version, but i found something odd. The main theme continues to play drowning out all other music in game.
Is there a way to turn it off? It happens only when i play online.
That is a bug. One of the reviewers found it too. I forgot what he did to fix it.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
FINALLY!!! So good to be playing this now. ❤️

Aside from the cheaply done turtle sprites and animations from TMNT2: Back From the Sewers, the GameBoy titles are better than I remembered. The enhancements for no flicker or slowdown are so helpful!

I just finished the first GameBoy title, halfway through the second, and definitely looking forward to Radical Rescue. Is it truly Metroidvania-esque? 🤞

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
FINALLY!!! So good to be playing this now. ❤️

Aside from the cheaply done turtle sprites and animations from TMNT2: Back From the Sewers, the GameBoy titles are better than I remembered. The enhancements for no flicker or slowdown are so helpful!

I just finished the first GameBoy title, halfway through the second, and definitely looking forward to Radical Rescue. Is it truly Metroidvania-esque? 🤞
I've been playing them too, pretty damn fun considering how simple they are. I only played the first as a kid and had no idea there were 2 sequels.

I jumped into 3rd one, I couldn't believe it's a metroidvania type game. In the enhancement menu, there's an option to turn on item indicators on the map, such a nice feature. Strategy guide has the whole level layout too. Love how these games are organized.

RNG

Wait what? They said before Turtles in Time would have online multiplayer. This was pretty much my biggest reason to get this game. Can anyone elaborate on this???
Only the arcade version has online not the SNES version, it's dumb because Hyperstone Heist has online play.

Krathoon

I played Turtles in Time online. Beat the game. There is definitely slow down. Not unbearably bad. I wish you get a Steam achievement for it.

Krathoon

Not many people caring about online on Steam. Only two lobbies. People were bailing when the game got slow.

They could have included the SNES Turtles in Time online, just make it two players.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I'm playing through Tournament Fighters (Genesis) and apparently you have to beat Karai on the hardest difficulty to get the achievement. Thank God for the rewind feature! That game is honestly pretty disappointing compared to the SNES version. :lollipop_tongue:

Last edited:

Rayderism

OK, so I bought the PSN digital version which gives you access to both the PS4 and PS5 versions.....I installed both to see the differences.....honestly, besides the fact that the PS4 version is about 900MB larger, I didn't see any significant difference between the two. I ended up deleting the PS5 version and kept the PS4 version simply because I have over 3 times the space on the USB drive than SSD space.

Anyway, if anyone else checks out both, let us know if you see any difference between the two.

amigastar

OK, so I bought the PSN digital version which gives you access to both the PS4 and PS5 versions.....I installed both to see the differences.....honestly, besides the fact that the PS4 version is about 900MB larger, I didn't see any significant difference between the two. I ended up deleting the PS5 version and kept the PS4 version simply because I have over 3 times the space on the USB drive than SSD space.

Anyway, if anyone else checks out both, let us know if you see any difference between the two.
Strange, the PS5 version should have tesselation and Raytracing.
jk
no but honestly, there shouldn't be much of a difference considering these games are so old.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Presentation wise these games show (strictly the console/arcade games..) what sprite style the latest Turtles game should have gone for...(I know I've been mentioning it multiple times, but still..)

ManaByte

2 Platinums.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

The biggest difference to me is with the PS4 version you can use both DualShock and DualSense controller for couch co-op.

Krathoon

(Puts on tin foil hat)
Do game companies hire people to put community content on Steam? There is a strange amount of community content for the Cowabunga Collection.
It just came out. I am suspicious.

MacReady13

I purchased on both PS5 and Switch (physical copies obviously). Tried the original arcade game on both. Feels super smooth with no noticeable lag on Switch but PS5 feels like it has awful lag. Didn't play any other game on the PS5 collection so can't comment but that original arcade game felt poor.

Grechy34

Almost impossible to be 1:1 with original hardware but shouldn't notice it if the emulation is good.

MacReady13

Played on Series X as well. Game doesn't suffer from lag or noticeable lag except for sound lag! I tried Quake and no sound delay at all. Cowabunga collection has noticeable sound lag. Love the collection but disappointed with Series X and PS5 version. Switch looks to me to be the most lag free in terms of sound and input.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Finally got all the achievements today 🙂
(Thank God for the Rewind feature!)

07ZPWVu.jpg

I loved the game(s) and nostalgia, but it mostly made me just want to play Shredder's Revenge again with the improved controls and abilities. I'm super thankful to have both!

2022: What a year to be a TMNT fan! 🧡 ❤️ 💜 💙

Last edited:
Top Bottom