• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection Releases on August 30

Draugoth

Gold Member

Join Donatello, Leonardo, Michelangelo, and Raphael in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection. Check out the TMNT: The Cowabunga Collection release date trailer for the 13 TMNT titles and their Japanese versions, coming to PC via Steam, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch on August 30, 2022.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Guardians Of The Galaxy Marvel GIF

SkylineRKR

This is pretty fun, I likely won't play it a lot as I also kinda stopped playing the latest TMNT release after a few days. But I never played Radical Rescue before, I'd probably try to beat that one at least.

I think the original arcade game is still the best one for a quick fix though. The new one lacks the arcade pacing so to speak.

RAIDEN1

Well the standard has been set to see if this package is up there with Shredders Revenge...Turtles in Time can stand somewhat toe-to-toe with Shredders Revenge anyway...plus the sprites look better as opposed to what the current version has....the Genesis version is a worthy title too..

jaysius

Banned
The release date is already on all of these, emulation isn't even shunned in our communities anymore, you get a much better experience judging by the footage from using your own emulation.

You will NOT play these as much as you think you will, you'll play most of them once and Turtles in Time many times.

Last edited:

renzero

Neo Member
I’m so confused about what games in the collection are online and what games are local co-op. I’ve seen different things reported on multiple sites so I wish Konami would come out and make an official statement on what games have what features.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
I’m so confused about what games in the collection are online and what games are local co-op. I’ve seen different things reported on multiple sites so I wish Konami would come out and make an official statement on what games have what features.
i Thought just the arcade ones.

anyway, this has me so hyped! so much nostalgia!!

Last edited:

BlackTron

The release date is already on all of these, emulation isn't even shunned in our communities anymore, you get a much better experience judging by the footage from using your own emulation.

You will NOT play these as much as you think you will, you'll play most of them once and Turtles in Time many times.

Turtles in Time on Switch with online play, worth price of admission alone. And will be nice to have everything in one package on this system. I'll play it more than if it wasn't on Switch, especially the Game Boy games.

nkarafo

Well the standard has been set to see if this package is up there with Shredders Revenge...Turtles in Time can stand somewhat toe-to-toe with Shredders Revenge anyway...plus the sprites look better as opposed to what the current version has....the Genesis version is a worthy title too..
I thought Turtles in Time IV on SNES was better than Shredder's Revenge. The SNES version only since the arcade plays like liquid shit.

I don't think i ever played a beat em up game that has better/tighter controls and feedback than the SNES port of Turtles in Time.

The music in Shredder's Revenge isn't anything special either. I only really liked a single song (the Mall stage). I think Tee Lopes is overrated. He can do nice remixes of existing songs but not very good original ones. I know it's a matter of taste but the TMNT IV soundtrack is on another level.

Overall though, Shredder's revenge is very good considering today's standards for 2D/indie games. I was expecting it to be way worse.

RAIDEN1

I thought Turtles in Time IV on SNES was better than Shredder's Revenge. The SNES version only since the arcade plays like liquid shit.

I don't think i ever played a beat em up game that has better/tighter controls and feedback than the SNES port of Turtles in Time.

The music in Shredder's Revenge isn't anything special either. I only really liked a single song (the Mall stage). I think Tee Lopes is overrated. He can do nice remixes of existing songs but not very good original ones. I know it's a matter of taste but the TMNT IV soundtrack is on another level.

Overall though, Shredder's revenge is very good considering today's standards for 2D/indie games. I was expecting it to be way worse.
I still need to complete it for the first time! Played a few levels initially but that's about it

BlackTron

I agree about SNES Turtles, its only flaw is that it's only 2 player :(

I used to emulate the arcade version for 4 player, but Shredder's Revenge pretty much came in and solved the problem.

nkarafo

I used to emulate the arcade version for 4 player, but Shredder's Revenge pretty much came in and solved the problem.
First time i played the arcade version of Turtles in Time i also emulated it. At first i thought the game was buggy and not emulated correctly. I thought there was no way these slippery controls and movements, chaotic gameplay and randomly generated button mashing moves are the real game.

Turns out, it was the real game. So i agree, if 4 players is what you need, Shredder's Revenge is the way to go.

Do we all agree that SNES Turtles in Time is the best game in this package?

I own the original (cart) versions of some of the games in this collection, and to me, SNES Turtles in Time is the best. The second one is probably NES Turtles III.

Just to remind myself I wasn't crazy, a few nights ago I popped in Tournament Fighters in my SNES. And it's... It's not very good. The only reason I keep it around is because I grew up such a huge fan of the Ninja Turtles in general.

nkarafo

I own the original (cart) versions of some of the games in this collection, and to me, SNES Turtles in Time is the best. The second one is probably NES Turtles III.
Hyperstone Heist is pretty close.

It has similar controls/moves and physics as the SNES version but it misses the throw move. It also has inferior sound and a somewhat weaker level set. But since it has the majority of moves and chain combos as the SNES version, i'll put it above every 8bit version where you mostly one shot each enemy with the same, repeated melee move.

Hyperstone Heist is pretty close.

It has similar controls/moves and physics as the SNES version but it misses the throw move. It also has inferior sound and a somewhat weaker level set. But since it has the majority of moves and chain combos as the SNES version, i'll put it above every 8bit version where you mostly one shot each enemy with the same, repeated melee move.
Ahhhh, fair point! I've actually never played Hyperstone Heist. My SNES/Genesis collections are such that I don't own the same game on both consoles; when I was building up my game collection a few years ago, I would decide which version was better and just buy that one, instead of buying both.

I came close to buying both for Sunset Riders, but never pulled the trigger (ha!) on the Genesis one....

EDIT: went back to check my collection, and I just fact checked myself... And realized I lied above. I own Aladdin for both consoles.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Do we all agree that SNES Turtles in Time is the best game in this package?

Just to remind myself I wasn't crazy, a few nights ago I popped in Tournament Fighters in my SNES. And it's... It's not very good. The only reason I keep it around is because I grew up such a huge fan of the Ninja Turtles in general.
TMNT2 NES has the best music

Played TMNT 4 to death back in the day. Maybe it’s the best overall, but I’m more looking forward to the arcade games and the NES games as it just feels like forever since I played them

nkarafo

EDIT: went back to check my collection, and I just fact checked myself... And realized I lied above. I own Aladdin for both consoles.
Well, to be fair, Aladdin is a completely different game on each console. They just share the same name/lore.

Hyperstone heist is similar to Turtles in Time but it also isn't really a port, it has a different level set, with a few being shared between them. But it has enough differences to warrant a playthrough even if you own the (superior) SNES game.

SegaShack

I feel like a lot of people are going to be extremely shocked to find out that many of these games are horrible.
I think besides the first NES game these are all really fun. Shredder's Revenge is fun and well made but way too long IMO (I did the arcade mode too).

I'd much rather play TMNT 2, 3, and 4. I really like the gameboy titles as well.

I don't know, man... With their Arcade Collection, Contra Collection, two Castlevania collections, and now this Turtles collection... Most of their glorious arcade, 8-bit, and 16-bit catalogue is available on all modern consoles + PC. I think they're doing right by us retro fans.
Just need Goemon/Mystical Ninja games, and Sparkster/Rocket Knight games. All versions of Sunset Riders would be a nice bonus.

RAIDEN1

Tournament fighters for the SNES is no Streetfighter 2 beater, but isn't bad as a one-on-one fighter....same can't be said for the Genesis version which I am not sure why they went for a different/inferior route with that one.....Hyperstone Heist had the potential to give Turtles in Time a run for its money had it released on the Sega CD, you could have thrown in animated (potentially washed out) cut-scenes, red-book audio and the throw into the screen mechanic that the Sega CD could have pulled off with ease, and knocked Final Fight of its perch as the best scrolling beat-em-up on Sega's CD add on...

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Played the first stage tried all the moves at the beginning of stage 2. Really cool and you really need to be in synch with the moves and context to not get hit.

Easy to play, hard(?) to master. Also knowing when enemies and which type spawn.

Great first impressions. Awesome even!

Just not in the right headspace at the moment to dedicate myself. It'll come. I think it's worth it

BossLackey

Gold Member
Glad we FINALLY have a date. Good grief.

TMNT II The Arcade Game on NES is one of my formative games. Got me into beat-em ups, which I still play a shitload of. Really looking forward to this.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Played the first stage tried all the moves at the beginning of stage 2. Really cool and you really need to be in synch with the moves and context to not get hit.

Easy to play, hard(?) to master. Also knowing when enemies and which type spawn.

Great first impressions. Awesome even!

Just not in the right headspace at the moment to dedicate myself. It'll come. I think it's worth it

Wait. This is about a different game?

Smh oh well...

Last edited:
whd85w6i1u1z.jpg

giphy.gif

I don't know, man... With their Arcade Collection, Contra Collection, two Castlevania collections, and now this Turtles collection... Most of their glorious arcade, 8-bit, and 16-bit catalogue is available on all modern consoles + PC. I think they're doing right by us retro fans.
I hope they keep going through the PS1/N64, PS2/Dreamcast/Xbox/GC, and 360/PS3/Wii generations with these collections. I want all of them, even the bad games. I've never played the PS1 Contra games but I want to know what they were like.

LMAO that Turtles 1-induced PTSD is real 😂

I never beat Turtles 1 as a kid. Now, 30 years later, I may finally have my revenge.

I hope they keep going through the PS1/N64, PS2/Dreamcast/Xbox/GC, and 360/PS3/Wii generations with these collections. I want all of them, even the bad games. I've never played the PS1 Contra games but I want to know what they were like.
Bookmarking this post for when you regret your entire life after playing Contra: Legacy of War 😂

My brother and I bought it for PS1 on release. We were excited for it, being big Contra fans. It even came with these dorky 3D glasses.

The disappointment was real...

Last edited:
Bookmarking this post for when you regret your entire life after playing Contra: Legacy of War 😂

My brother and I bought it for PS1 on release. We were excited for it, being big Contra fans. It even came with these dorky 3D glasses.

The disappointment was real...
How does it compare to Contra Force? Because I was told I was crazy for enjoying Contra Force as much as I did and to me that game was a blast and had some features that were before it's time.

How does it compare to Contra Force? Because I was told I was crazy for enjoying Contra Force as much as I did and to me that game was a blast and had some features that were before it's time.
Contra Force? Like... The NES game?

They're completely different beasts. Contra Force is semi standard 2D Contra. Legacy of War is supposed to be a "3D" (and it is in a 3D space, with 3D graphics) but it plays more like a 2.5D shooter -- think the original arcade version of Mercs, for example.

My memory might be cloudy at this point, but I remember the 3D glasses were supposed to give the game true 3D "depth" or something. In reality, it felt like it just gave the game a "Virtual Boy" effect 😂

Contra Force? Like... The NES game?
Yep that one. The one Contra fans hated. I know it wasn't traditional Contra but I really enjoyed the game and what it tried to do.
They're completely different beasts. Contra Force is semi standard 2D Contra. Legacy of War is supposed to be a "3D" (and it is in a 3D space, with 3D graphics) but it plays more like a 2.5D shooter -- think the original arcade version of Mercs, for example.

My memory might be cloudy at this point, but I remember the 3D glasses were supposed to give the game true 3D "depth" or something. In reality, it felt like it just gave the game a "Virtual Boy" effect 😂
Sounds interesting. Was it better with the depth effect or better without it? You think they could they add any filter options to simulate it?

Top Bottom