• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection - Reveal Trailer

Day Cowabunga one! Konami was killing it at the time.

My top 5:
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project (NES)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (Super Nintendo)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (Sega Genesis)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Radical Rescue (Game Boy)

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
They better fix the aspect ratios or I will just stick to my raspberry pi. Both castlevania and contra (switch) don’t have a proper 4:3 without their horrible scan lines filter enabled. They have never fixed it.

Mr Hyde

Just read it comes in physical edition too.

god is real GIF

yurinka

It's on switch and Xbox too.

Wonder if there will be online for tournament fighters (I can't imagine there will be sadly)
I think it only has local multiplayer. Which means that you can play online with friends using Share Play in PS, or equivalent on Steam etc.

I hope you'll be able to scale up to full screen and turn the borders off. But Ill be getting it regardless.
Should be able to.

I own the Castlevania and Contra collections on PC (published by Konami, which looks to be the case for this Turtles collection as well), and both allow you to have games in:

"Pixel perfect" mode
4:3 mode
16:9 stretched mode (🤢🤮)

Anyway, all modes allow scanlines, and the bordered modes allow you to turn borders off.

Turtles in Times is the best Beat'em up on SNES
When I read your post I thought, "but what about Final Fight!?" then remembered that SNES Final Fight is massively gimped due to the lack of coop. The arcade version of Final Fight is my favorite beat em up of all time.

You could argue that SNES Turtles in Time is gimped for a similar reason (allows only up to 2 players compared to the arcade which allows up to 4), but now comes my potentially hot take: SNES Turtles in Time >> Arcade Turtles in Time.

SeraphJan

When I read your post I thought, "but what about Final Fight!?" then remembered that SNES Final Fight is massively gimped due to the lack of coop. The arcade version of Final Fight is my favorite beat em up of all time.

You could argue that SNES Turtles in Time is gimped for a similar reason (allows only up to 2 players compared to the arcade which allows up to 4), but now comes my potentially hot take: SNES Turtles in Time >> Arcade Turtles in Time.
Of course, The Arcade in most cases are superior, same could be said for both Turtles in Time and Final Fight.

For Final Fight, they cut way too many content, like cutting a whole level and boss(Rolento), cutting one of the protagonist(Guy), no co-op as you've mentioned, meaningless censorship, delayed hit detection compare to arcade and lastly only three enemy on screen at the same time, making the game less enjoyable. And don't even get me started on you have to start the entire level over for continue instead of continue where you left off.

The Arcade version of Final Fight is a complete difference experience.

BTW, good to know there are lots of retro gamers lurking here:messenger_heart:

Last edited:
I know "Fuck Konami" is a popular thing around these parts, and in many cases for good reason. But Konami has been awesome to us retro fans lately:

- Contra Collection
- Castlevania (OG) Collection
- Castlevania (Advance) Collection
- Arcade Collection of some of their great shooters

Some (... maybe all!?) of these collections have pixel perfect, 4:3, 16:9, and scanlines options. [Yeah yeah, the usual peanut gallery will come to complain about "... b-but me no like their scanlines! Wahhhhh 😭!" Who cares? They're serviceable. If you're that picky about scanlines and are not playing on a professional-grade CRT TV, then you're full of shit 😂]

One of the coolest features though is the ability to select between American and Japanese versions of games -- and in Contra's case, even the European "Probotector" variants. During those early Konami days, there were often important regional differences between the American and Japanese releases. I wonder if they'll include the same option for this Ninja Turtles Collection....

nkarafo

I see it includes both the Arcade and SNES version of Turtles in Time.

That means more people will witness how the arcade version is inferior to the SNES port.

That's not a hot take. Everyone who played the arcade version should know how bad it is. Floaty controls, slippery characters who can't even finish their combos, button mashing gameplay where special moves are completely random. More enemies to button mash with 1 hit VS less enemies who are tougher on SNES version (and more enjoyable to beat thanks to the countless different moves).

I remember being amazed at how bad this was, after playing the SNES version to death (my favorite beat em up of all time btw). I first played it on MAME and i thought this must be a bugged game that isn't emulated properly.

Of course, The Arcade in most cases are superior, same could be said for both Turtles in Time and Final Fight.

See above.

Last edited:

Ristifer

Couldn’t be more down for this! The only thing that excited me during the State of Play.

Gonna be a great collection to lead up to Shredder’s Revenge.

Reactions: TLZ

RAIDEN1

Instead of adding the genesis version of Tournament Fighters which wasn't exactly stellar, they should have included:

sn0man

I gotta get a physical copy of this! Probably switch but maybe PS4.

I always assumed this was going to be stuck in licensing hell. I wonder if the arcade turtles in time has the music.

saintjules

Damn! I love SNES Tournament Fighters! Never thought I’d see port of that again!

Also Turtles in time!! Woohoo!

Hell yeah to both! I actually never knew a S NES version to Tournament Fighters existed. Pretty wild.

Edit: NES version I mean

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Now I want to know: how far did everyone actually get (who played it in the NES days) on TMNT 1 for the NES? I was able to make it all the way into the technodrome, but could never reach Shredder and don't think I ever will without cheats or save states.

For Final Fight, they cut too way too many content, like cutting a whole level and boss(Rolento), cutting one of the protagonist(Guy), no co-op as you've mentioned, meaningless censorship, delayed hit detection compare to arcade and lastly only three enemy on screen at the same time, making the game less enjoyable. And don't even get me started on you have to start the entire level over for continue instead of continue where you left off.

The Arcade version of Final Fight is a complete difference experience.

BTW, good to know there are lots of retro gamers lurking here:messenger_heart:
I will counter argue and say those changes make SNES Final Fight a better game. The cut stage is a bullshit quarter munching stage so the game actually improved with it's removal. And the less enemies I feel also gave the game better balance and playability. I was severely disappointed when I finally had the chance to play the arcade version... I haven't played in a while though, so I should probably give it another go.

Does suck to lose a character but I play Cody anyway lol

I'm also of the belief that the SNES Turtles in Time Is better too, for similar reasons (better balance), but also the gameplay itself is not the floaty crap both TMNT arcade games suffer from.

Top Bottom