• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection - Reveal Trailer

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Enjoy these Nintendo Power scans of the 1989 release issue for the NES classic.

dWrq3w.jpg

pVUEPj.jpg

HRmePK.jpg

M7tVma.jpg

eIdyWw.jpg

Pejo

Man how did I miss this yesterday. If the arcade games have online multi, I have to talk some old friends into picking this up. Has it been announced which games have online MP?

Orta

Banned
Now I want to know: how far did everyone actually get (who played it in the NES days) on TMNT 1 for the NES? I was able to make it all the way into the technodrome, but could never reach Shredder and don't think I ever will without cheats or save states.

I could complete it relatively easy back in the day, of course, we had the patience of saints when we were hardcore 10 year old nes gamers. Start to finish with Donatello, the other three were useless. Michaelangelo or Raphael in the swimming section just in case I died, I stored all the scroll weapons with Leonardo who I always used to kill Shredder, when he transported into the final screen he always jumped to the left and hit the wall, giving you a second of opportunity then you just unload on him pinning him against it. The area directly before that in the Technodrome with all those jetpack guys , the secret there was to keep walking and keep throwing boomerangs, slowdown heaven but they never got a hit in.

Easier said than done now though, I played it a few years ago and lost all four turtles on the first map!

Last edited:

Beechos

Never did beat tmnt the arcade game in the arcade, now heres my chance. I think i got as far as the skateboard lvl on the highway.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Finished it numerous times as a kid.
I could complete it relatively easy back in the day, of course, we had the patience of saints when we were hardcore 10 year old nes gamers. Start to finish with Donatello, the other three were useless. Michaelangelo or Raphael in the swimming section just in case I died, I stored all the scroll weapons with Leonardo who I always used to kill Shredder, when he transported into the final screen he always jumped to the left and hit the wall, giving you a second of opportunity then you just unload on him pinning him against it. The area directly before that in the Technodrome with all those jetpack guys , the secret there was to keep walking and keep throwing boomerangs, slowdown heaven but they never got a hit in.

Easier said than done now though, I played it a few years ago and lost all four turtles on the first map!
Impressive. Just getting all the way into the technodrome felt like a herculian effort.

In my defense, I was strictly limited on gaming time as a kid. The only day of the week where I could attempt a game like this one (several hours long, no save states) was Saturday, because my gaming alotment on every other day was somewhere between 30min to 1hour. And if I decided to try TMNT on Saturday, that was it for my gaming that day, even if the attempt went badly one hour in. So once I made it into the final level a few times, I didn't end up spending the additional time to try and do a perfect run with the scrolls so that I could finish it.

• Empathy
Reactions: TLZ

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Now I want to know: how far did everyone actually get (who played it in the NES days) on TMNT 1 for the NES? I was able to make it all the way into the technodrome, but could never reach Shredder and don't think I ever will without cheats or save states.
I beat the game several times. Shredder was such a letdown after all you had to endure, especially those two final levels. Level 5 with the random Technodrome location was brutal, and the interior of the Technodrome itself was hell until you found the most secure path. I remember being absolutely positive Shredder would transform into something else after going down with that visual effect, so I was astonished to see my turtle just jump out of the room and boom, ending scene.

It was a surprise to find out, years later, that so many people apparently never even got past the dam. At one point I could do the first four levels without ever even thinking I could lose a turtle.

Andyliini

I once reached the final corridor before Shredder, but did not know the trick to beat it and only had Michaelangelo with almost no health left, so of course those nasty enemies got me. I never got that far again, and never saw Shredder in this game.

SkylineRKR

I never beat TMNT 1, but TMNT 2 I beat on NES with konami code and without.

Arcade game I don't think I ever beat in the arcade, usually quit before the technodrome level. But on emulator and xbox a lot.

sn0man

This looks really good. I played a lot of TMNT arcade online on Xbox 360. One of the big reasons i never got rid of the system too.

Hopefully they limit how many continues you get here as well (i think it was 20 lives on 360). It makes it way more fun when there is a challenge.
It would be really cool if the UI had difficulty modes for each game. Bronze infinite lives. Silver 30. Gold 15. Platinum 1 life.

Would make replaying with friends to nail the trophies super fun. (Of course achievements could tie into that.)

RAIDEN1

That is the version I played first. What did you not like about it?
Well for a start the Genesis version only has 8 fighters, the SNES has ten, and presentation wise it is easy to see which game had more effort put into it...there aren't many moves for the characters you can choose in the genesis version, and overall the game has a more gloomier look..

Last edited:

sainraja

Well for a start the Genesis version only has 8 fighters, the SNES has ten, and presentation wise it is easy to see which game had more effort put into it...there aren't many moves for the characters you can choose in the genesis version, and overall the game has a more gloomier look..
Gotcha. I didn't focus on the differences I guess. I enjoyed 'em both but really liked the Genesis version. Probably nostalgia.

Dorago

This is looking good. Maybe Turtles 1 will be beatable by normal humans now with the rewind feature? Turtles 2 and 3 on NES are excellent and were beatable even as a flatulent fat kid. The two versions of Turtles in Time are equally awesome while Tournament Fighter will remain as mediocre as ever. The gameboy titles have big sprites (or is that background tiles?) but I don't have much more to say about them.

They probably start selling this at $30 but it will be a steal at $10 when it goes on sale.

GloveSlap

It would be really cool if the UI had difficulty modes for each game. Bronze infinite lives. Silver 30. Gold 15. Platinum 1 life.

Would make replaying with friends to nail the trophies super fun. (Of course achievements could tie into that.)
Agreed, difficulty tiers would be perfect. Is it even possible to 1 life the arcade games though? I know how to cheese the first one pretty well, but there are some pretty cheap hits on there.

cireza

Banned
Genesis edition, the weakest in the collection....I don't know why they bothered with that version..
The Genesis game is fine. It is very different from the SNES game. Each game plays on the strength of each system. Genesis game is much faster, built around the 3 buttons layout, 320x240 also. There are actually 3 hidden characters that are playable, if I remember correctly. There are also super-moves (one per character). I thought it was fine as a kid, not the greatest fighter on the console, but fun nonetheless.

You could argue that SNES Turtles in Time is gimped for a similar reason (allows only up to 2 players compared to the arcade which allows up to 4), but now comes my potentially hot take: SNES Turtles in Time >> Arcade Turtles in Time.
That's not THAT hot a take; SNES Turtles in Time had it's mechanics refined to feel more like "Final Fight but with SPEEEEEED" compared to Arcade Turtles in TIme's re-treading of the old arcade's mechanics. Plus, Slash > Cementman.

Though I really wish there'd have been an ultimate version of Turtles in Time with the arcade version's buttery-smooth animation and 4-player support with the SNES version's levels and mechanics.

As for my comments on this collection: This is about as close as Digital Eclipse has ever gotten to having a collection I actually felt was complete and perfect in regard to the games represented. If the emulation is good, I'm in.

(There is technically a few notable missing things, like PC ports of Konami's first TMNT game, also the PC-only game "Manhattan Missions", and the TMNT2k3-era games which I'm certain were excluded more because NIckelodeon seems to hate TMNT2k3 for some reaosn.)

Last edited:

BlackTron

So both Turtles in Time arcade and Genesis (Hyperstone Heist) get online, but not SNES?

Probably because the arcade version has 4-player. Unfortunately the SNES version has better mechanics and levels...so SNES is better IMO unless you have more than 2 people. I wish it had supported the SNES multitap...so the ROM would have 4-player support today.

Probably because the arcade version has 4-player. Unfortunately the SNES version has better mechanics and levels...so SNES is better IMO unless you have more than 2 people. I wish it had supported the SNES multitap...so the ROM would have 4-player support today.
Yeah, having arcade version online is a must since 4 player, but I'm thinking SNES proably got excluded because it has versus mode too, unlike arcade and Hyperstone Heist, so more variables for online implementation.. Sucks, but oh well.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
BTW, you fellow NES kids here really think TMNT 2 was that much easier than 1?
I don’t think I beat TMNT 2 more than twice in my life, compared to the several times I beat TMNT 1. Granted I never had a buddy to help me, but the game was tremendously long, and the two final levels (Shogun House and Technodrome) plus their bosses were so hard.

I'll keep playing the originals on original hardware and CRT, but this is an amazing collection for sure. Glad more people get to enjoy these games!

Andyliini

TMNT 2 on NES is easy once you know how to abuse the special attack. I find TMNT 3 a bit more difficult, but was able to beat it as a kid. I never beat the OG game though.

BlackTron

Turtles in Time better have the correct music. The 360 remake replaced it due to licensing issues. To me this one issue will make or break the collection because TiT is my favorite TMNT game.

Top Bottom