• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 2 (dunkview)

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
One of the games that sealed the PS1’s supremacy in that generation.
The raw polygons stood out and the AI got unashamedly cheap at the higher difficulties, but the game played so well and had so many characters you couldn’t stop playing.
Tekken 3 did the impossible by making 2 look barren and obsolete in comparison, and in the end I played Soul Blade more than both, but Tekken 2 was a tipping point for the generation.

Hoppa

I only ever played the demo as a kid but I was obsessed! I still remember Jacks grunts (I’m pretty sure I’ve heard those same grunts up until like Tekken 5 or even 6?) and the metallic clunk sound when you hit him was very satisfying

mansoor1980

Gold Member
soundtrack was a banger
SardonicNaughtyGoitered-size_restricted.gif

Y0ssarian

Banned
I am in a PAL region and it was called Tekken 2. It was my favourite game for a few weeks, loved it. Still remember using Kazuya's super punch, i think it was back + circle + cross

SkylineRKR

One of the games that sealed the PS1’s supremacy in that generation.
The raw polygons stood out and the AI got unashamedly cheap at the higher difficulties, but the game played so well and had so many characters you couldn’t stop playing.
Tekken 3 did the impossible by making 2 look barren and obsolete in comparison, and in the end I played Soul Blade more than both, but Tekken 2 was a tipping point for the generation.

Soul Blade was the best one.

Actual fully 3D, excellent story mode. 3 soundtracks.

winjer

Gold Member
This was such a great game for the time. A system seller, that helped cemented the PS1 has the dominant console of the generation.
The music was very good, creating an amazing atmosphere for each stage. And that intro was perfect.
Gameplay was much improved and although it was surpassed by Tekken 3, it still holds up.
Graphics were a bit polygonal, but they were serviceable. Fortunately the art design was very good and had a lot of cool factor.

Neff

The game I bought with my PSX so it's very, very special to me.

soundtrack was a banger

Yep. In a series with incredible music 2 is still the best I think.

the AI got unashamedly cheap at the higher difficulties

I used to play it on hard for hours daily and could regularly beat the game on one 'credit' with Heihachi and Law, but we're talking over 20 years ago now.

Whenever I play it these days it's by no means certain that I'm going to win the first match. T2 on hard is brutal. You're not getting a hit in unless it's a counter or a punish.

Game was somehow very trash! It was looking angular like VF1 on Saturn and its gameplay was not that deep, but it was fun for short sessions. Virtua Fighter 2 Saturn and Tekken 3 smoked it in every ways...

Great video.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Tekken 4 (鉄拳4) is a 2001 fighting video game developed and published by Namco as the fourth main and fifth installment in the Tekken series, following the release of the non-canon crossover titled Tekken Tag Tournament for the arcades, during the summer of 1999. It was released as an arcade game in 2001 and on the PlayStation 2 in 2002.

Placing distinction on the plot in the console version, the tone of Tekken 4 was noticeably darker than other installments of the series.[1] The game also harbored many gameplay revisions, such as the series-unique ability for the player to move about before the round begins and the introduction of walled stages. There are up to twenty-three characters to choose from, including six newcomers. The game's story reveals that Kazuya has been revived following his death 20 years prior and enters the King of Iron First Tournament 4 to take back the Mishima Zaibatsu.

Tekken 4 introduced significant new gameplay changes from the previous games in the series.[2] For the first time, it allowed players to maneuver around an arena interacting with walls and other obstacles for extra damage. These "environmental hazards" in turn allowed players to juggle opponents for consecutive combos and allowed the designers to implement a "switch maneuver", which let players escape from cornering and throw the tide in their favor. The game engine had been tweaked to be more focused on the environment, causing the characters to move more slowly and fluidly than in Tekken Tag Tournament. Finally, the game introduced a brand new graphics system, that featured increased lighting, dynamic physics, and smoother surfaces.

The console version of Tekken 4 includes a beat 'em up minigame available from the outset, called Tekken Force. Similar to the previous minigame found in Tekken 3, it presents the player with an over-the-shoulder perspective as they fight wave upon wave of Heihachi's Tekken Force through four stages, eventually facing Heihachi himself. The player can pick up health and power-ups while fighting waves of enemies. In the minigame it is discovered that the Tekken Force possesses different ranks in the organization, evident in different amounts of stamina, strength, and skill. A new Story mode in the home version unlocks cutscenes when played, in contrast to previous installments in which such cutscenes were unlocked from playing the Arcade mode. Tekken 4 received generally favorable reviews. Community reception was generally negative, with competitive players pointing out its balancing and gameplay issues. However in recent years, Tekken 4 has been widely praised for its innovation, atmosphere and attention to detail. Its sequel, Tekken 5, was released in arcades in 2004 and the PlayStation 2 in 2005. The game sold 345,092 in Japan, 1,460,000 in the US, and 200,000+ in the UK. In total, 2,005,092 copies sold worldwide.[citation needed]

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Tekken 2 was the stylistic climax of the series for me. The announcer and music are unforgettable. Neither is the visual design. Sadly, the gameplay has not aged so well.

Tekken 4 was an experiment bringing a breath of fresh air to the series. For once Tekken had full 3D movement, wall recovery, and stages became more than an infinite foreground with an unreachable background. It also had an unrivaled replay feature and slick UI design. However, there was a lack of balancing, testing, and content (roster-wise) to offset those accomplishments. The series sadly started moving backwards after that.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Tekken 2 was the stylistic climax of the series for me. The announcer and music are unforgettable. Neither is the visual design. Sadly, the gameplay has not aged so well.

Tekken 4 was an experiment bringing a breath of fresh air to the series. For once Tekken had full 3D movement, wall recovery, and stages became more than an infinite foreground with an unreachable background. It also had an unrivaled replay feature and slick UI design. However, there was a lack of balancing, testing, and content (roster-wise) to offset those accomplishments. The series sadly started moving backwards after that.

Tekken 4 is hands down the most fun Tekken to play with friends. Even more fun than 3. We didn't know about broken stuff, we weren't pro. And we had great fun playing T4 against eachother. The game was colorful, played well and the stages were incredible. 5 was, to us, less fun and sadly lots of people moved on by then.

Tekken 2 was aesthetically and sound wise the best on the PSX. T3 was better, but had a worse OST, stage and character design imo. I liked the young versions of characters more.

Kokoloko85

It was always Tekken here from the first entry. Maybe the launch was different by the time Tekken 2 came out, it was definitely Tekken as I got it.

Kessen was a PS2 game

Was still called Tekken here in the UK, Kessen was a series of strategy games from Koei Tecmo :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Haven't played in years, the addition of it to plus is tempting. Would be great if they could add in some kinda rudimentary online lobby to help get the old gang together.

killatopak

Gold Member
I remember playing this a lot cause my neighbor actually bought an arcade cabinet of this and Strikers 1945. He had a two game arcade on his backyard that we kids got to play and pay for.

To extend our play due to being poor as fuck kids, we forgo playing against each other and competed by who beat story mode the fastest by each character.

Shit was fun times. I remember exploiting the AI with Paul Pheonix a lot.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
People were impressed by this on the PlayStation because they were sleeping on what Saturn had to show long before this game arrived, as all the media were bought out by Sony and still laughing at the so-so port of Virtua Fighter 1 (which wasn't even that bad, the arcade game itself was old).

Never heard about the Kessen stuff before, I don't think it's true. But the Pal version did seem to play almost in slow motion compared to US/Japan (true for most fighting games, Tekken 3 included, importing a copy of 3 and playing it in black and white cos of my CRT back then was a revelation).

Last edited:
Top Bottom