• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

PhineBuyM3

Hope we see the Legacy characters this weekend.
If these bastards don't announce Lei, Zafina, and Julia I might drop this game for good
timduncanokthatsenuf.png

They could bring back Lei and give us a story expansion that ties into Tekken 8. I say finish off Kazuya before T8 starts. Be done with the Mishima clan

Bardiche

We need some gameplay footage of Julia. I don't know how to feel about her streamer persona, but I'm happy she is in the game. Hopefully, we will get some news on her soon.

Just bought Tekken 7 few days ago - are the season passes worth anything ?

Also is it possible to somehow get Lily looking like she was in Tekken 6 ?

Finished story mode and started character episodes - seriously 3 paragraphs of text + 1 fight + 1 short movie for each character ?
Also I don't see anything like challanges mode where you could learn character moves and simple combos.

Very dissapointing considering how much of that stuff Arc puts into games inted for 1/10 of Tekken audience.

Finished story mode and started character episodes - seriously 3 paragraphs of text + 1 fight + 1 short movie for each character ?
Also I don't see anything like challanges mode where you could learn character moves and simple combos.

Very dissapointing considering how much of that stuff Arc puts into games inted for 1/10 of Tekken audience.
The singleplayer content is a bit shallow, presumably the budget for the game wasn't that much.

If you want to learn your character, there is the practise mode and you can play treasure battle mode to train against CPU. But mostly this game is intended to be played against other people.

decisions

Does this still have poor netcode on ps4? can't find a conclusive answer

Basically if you play on wi-fi it’s hit or miss. Sometimes you DC from everyone you match with instantly and you have to back out to the main menu and search again.

It’s kind of shit honestly. But because some matches feel perfect and I love the game I still play.

bilderberg

Basically if you play on wi-fi it’s hit or miss. Sometimes you DC from everyone you match with instantly and you have to back out to the main menu and search again.

It’s kind of shit honestly. But because some matches feel perfect and I love the game I still play.

Also if you play on wifi i'm disconnecting from your ass after just one match. So there's that

Aintitcool

Banned
Where can I see gameplay of Lei??? I've been waiting he is my favorite character since tekken 2. Can I just buy him in individual dlc?

Life

Been playing Tekken 7 for about a month now. I'm really confused about the risk/reward aspects of the game, especially with low attacks.
Some characters have fast low attacks which lead into juggles and wall carries on hit. Others have low attacks which are even slower, don't lead to combos, and are fully punishable.
I play Geese and I struggle to get any real damage on anyone who simply refuses to block low. There's times when I know an opponent never blocks low and I spam down 4 and hit them multiple times. They block once and get a ton of damage and momentum in return.

What I'm saying is...shouldn't ever character be a threat with lows? Why wouldn't you play a character who is a high threat with lows and highs?

GrayFoxPL

Been playing Tekken 7 for about a month now. I'm really confused about the risk/reward aspects of the game, especially with low attacks.
Some characters have fast low attacks which lead into juggles and wall carries on hit. Others have low attacks which are even slower, don't lead to combos, and are fully punishable.
I play Geese and I struggle to get any real damage on anyone who simply refuses to block low. There's times when I know an opponent never blocks low and I spam down 4 and hit them multiple times. They block once and get a ton of damage and momentum in return.

What I'm saying is...shouldn't ever character be a threat with lows? Why wouldn't you play a character who is a high threat with lows and highs?

Not sure which lows you're referring to. 99% of lows are punishable. All lows that lead to juggles are launch punishable. Those that don't lead to combos but are abusable like Kazuya's hellsweep, also are launch punishable.

Big lows are always huge risk in T7. I mean losing 50-70% of life risk. But blocking low makes you at risk of eating a big mid launcher and again losing 50-70%.

Only quick low pokes can be kinda safe, but most of the time they also are not. It's just they're "unseeable" as in you can't block them on reaction.

That's why advanced players would rather eat low pokes rather than try to block low and eat mid launcher. Of course the are aiming to block those big launching lows that tend to be "seeable".

EDIT:

Geese is not a Tekken character, like Akuma and all that guest nonsense, so he's not the best one to learn Tekken on.
His damage relies on MAX cancels, command cancels, specials, supers ect. from King of Fighters XIV. Stuff Tekken characters don't do.

As for his lows he has abusable unseeable(and again - launch punishable) d+4 low that is a launcher on counter hit. D+4 can be followed by f+3 that is a high and + on block.

He also has d+1+2 that leads to his ground throw that is unbreakable, again breaking Tekken rules.

He

Last edited:

Life

Not sure which lows you're referring to. 99% of lows are punishable. All lows that lead to juggles are launch punishable. Those that don't lead to combos but are abusable like Kazuya's hellsweep, also are launch punishable.

Big lows are always huge risk in T7. I mean losing 50-70% of life risk. But blocking low makes you at risk of eating a big mid launcher and again losing 50-70%.

Only quick low pokes can be kinda safe, but most of the time they also are not. It's just they're "unseeable" as in you can't block them on reaction.

That's why advanced players would rather eat low pokes then try to block low and eat mid launcher. Of course the are aiming to block those big launching lows that tend to be "seeable".

I'm talking about characters who are of no threat with their lows, and are similarly punishable to characters who have combos from lows. Risk/reward is completely off.

GrayFoxPL

I'm talking about characters who are of no threat with their lows, and are similarly punishable to characters who have combos from lows. Risk/reward is completely off.

Every character has threatening lows. If your opponent notices you're never blocking low, he'll start abusing them and you'll just die standing.

Life

Every character has threatening lows. If your opponent notices you're never blocking low, he'll start abusing them and you'll just die standing.

So a character that does 10% dmg with his low, is considered a "threat" - just like his counterpart who can do 40% and gain corner momentum? They're both "unseeable" and launch punishable. This is where the game stops making sense for me - and I was hoping someone experienced might share their rationale.

GrayFoxPL

So a character that does 10% dmg with his low, is considered a "threat" - just like his counterpart who can do 40% and gain corner momentum? They're both "unseeable" and launch punishable. This is where the game stops making sense for me - and I was hoping someone experienced might share their rationale.

Characters don't have single lows, but variety of them with various properties. Like high crush, launch on ch, frame advantage, good oki and so on.

Eg. Kazuya's db+4 is this move:

On a surface it doesn't do anything and has low damage but it's considered an amazing low.

Why? Because it's fast, it's only - 12 on block, meaning if even it's blocked the punish is minimal, but most importantly it's +4, +5 on hit.
In short it means that Kazuya can use his df+2 afterwards and if you even try to hit anything, your fastest button afterwards, you'll lose 50% at bare minimum, due to df+2 counter hit and follow up combo.

So what are you gonna do? Block low? Ok, then opponent(Kazuya) next time will use powerful mids and get tons of damage.
So next time you're thinking it's not worth blocking that low but Kazuya predicts that and hits you with another db+4, and another and once more and hellsweep 1 - in a matter of 7-8 seconds you lost 40 - 45% of your life.
Even if he doesn't use lows, he can use f+4 which is a mid but +5 on block meaning he can attack you again . You just got caught in a vortex and better figure out something smart and fast or you'll get murdered.

Everything is a mind game in Tekken and every situation has a way out, but not without it's risk.

That's why profesional players start sweating when they get hit by db+4 in a serious match, even though it "doesn't do anything."

Last edited:

Life

Specific punishes in Tekken (essential if you seriously want to win).

1. High move, crouch it and whiff punish while standing.
2. Low move, crouch block and punish
3. Low move but lightly punishable, must low parry for serious punish.
4. Mid move, but forces crouch, punish from a crouch combo
5. Move is weak to sidestep left. Time sidestep and punish.
6. Move is weak to sidestep right. Time sidestep and punish.
7. Move has multiple hits, must stidestep BETWEEN specific hits to punish.
8. Move has multiple hits, but is interruptable between specific hits and therefore punishable.
9. Move has multiple hits and can only be punished if you have a parry.

So roughly speaking, you have 9 options, and the average character has dozens of moves - multiply this by the character count (36).
That's a lot of scenarios to train for and learn to react to. Conclusion - life's too short for Tekken.

Top Bottom