• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 8 – Nina Williams Revealed in New Gameplay Trailer

https://gamingbolt.com/tekken-8-nina-williams-revealed-in-new-gameplay-trailer
Now, the publisher has confirmed a new character for its roster of playable fighters at launch. Series staple Nina Williams, now seemingly voiced by a new actor, will be returning to star in Tekken 8, as she has done in every past mainline game in the series. The trailer shows the Silent Assassin in action as she combines her flurries of hard-hitting punches and kicks with barrages from her dual pistols. Check out the trailer below.

Tekken 8 is in development for PS5, Xbox Series X/S, and PC. It doesn’t yet have a release date, but Bandai Namco has previously suggested it could launch in 2023.

The graphics and animations look a bit iffy, and the gameplay seems to be not be showing real improvement from before. At least so far.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

we've fallen quite far from that original trailer haven't we?
Harada and Murray have clearly stated that a lot of the content have yet to receive proper lighting on stages shown after initial trailer, which was one of the more finished ones. They are still ways of from release and the game will also have multiple alpha location tests, taking player feedback at major tournament throughout the year. I'm not worried the game will look great once it releases.

Last edited:

SSfox

Game seems to be build for ps5 since start, very nice to see specially after the Shitty Arcade >> PS4 port of T7 (T7 was a bit much to handle for ps4 tbh)

This game is gonna end up super impressive on release on PS5 (and also XSX since they share a lot of similarities) just like T5 was on PS2 and T3 on PS1

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
OOOOOHHH WOW!!!! They revealed a character that has been in the franchise for more than 15 years without interruption... incredible!!!!

blow-mind-mind-blown.gif

nbkicker

From playing tekken in the arcade and ps1 onwards , think ive had my fill of tekken now, havnt played 7 for prob over a yr and half, and from what ive seen dont think ill be buying 8, for me dont like the nina design one bit in clip show, namco maybe spoilt the design of nina, hopefully capcom dont ruin cammy

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
Looking good. Obviously a WIP.

Modern Tekken still grabs me unlike modern Street Fighter. Gonna sink lots of hours into this for sure.

Hoppa

I like the redesign. Not practical for an assassin lol maybe a bit vampire hunter or like Wesker which is kinda funny because Jill in Re5 looked a lot like Nina

Also I mained Nina in T5, 6 and Tag 2 so I’ve seen these animations a billion times. The character model and facial animation has improved a lot but some of those intro/win animations have been around since Tekken 5. I’m just glad they’ve recorded new voice lines this time

Don’t know about the heat system, but still super excited for this. Harada said something about T7 still being worked on so this might not come out this year?

Shakka43

Damn, these Tekken games have gotten so flashy is ridiculous. I put hundreds of hours into T2, 3 & 4 but I haven't feel interested in the franchise for a long time now.

demigod

Why is she bringing a gun to a fist fight. Are they copying Sonya or has this always been a thing with Nina? Shit I can’t remember the last time I bought a Tekken game. Probably PS3 days.

Extremely happy to see Nina back. I definitely like the new outfit and look. Very surprising especially in this day and age of “safe” and boring designs. Can’t really comment on how much of an improvement her actual model is since I watched on a phone, but I like what I’m seeing so far. I’m not sure if it’s “Unreal 5 caliber”, but we’ll see as time goes on.

Elysion

Banned
Is there any particular reason why fighting games don’t look as good as CG trailers by now? I mean, games of the genre used to be graphical showcases in the past; generally they looked much better than games of other genres, since all they have to render is two characters and a small stage. So I don’t understand why they look so underwhelming these days.

10+TF should be more than enough to render 2 hyper-realistic character models, stunning lighting, and a small, but super-detailed stage at 60fps. Games like Tekken 8 or Street Fighter 6 should utterly demolish stuff like Horizon FW or TLoU2 in terms of graphics and fluid animations, but they don’t. At all. And I don‘t understand why. Is it a budget thing?

Last edited:
Why is she bringing a gun to a fist fight. Are they copying Sonya or has this always been a thing with Nina? Shit I can’t remember the last time I bought a Tekken game. Probably PS3 days.
She’s had a gun in Tekken 7, but only in her intro or when you equipped it on her in customization mode. Seems like she will use it in her arsenal now perhaps? Then again, Anna had a bazooka in her super move and Yoshimitsu has a sword, so you never know with Tekken.

They've been adding more guns since they made Tekken Force space marines.

How endlessly sad! The same game as always, the same as 7, 6 and on backwards. And to think that the first teaser trailer had made everyone hope for some novelty, at least in the animations... Instead nothing to do, they can keep it.

Is there any particular reason why fighting games don’t look as good as CG trailers by now? I mean, games of the genre used to be graphical showcases in the past; generally they looked much better than games of other genres, since all they have to render is two characters and a small arena. So I don’t understand why they look so underwhelming these days. Games like Tekken 8 or Street Fighter 6 should utterly demolish stuff like Horizon FW or TLoU2 in terms of graphics and fluid animations, but they don’t. At all. And I don‘t understand why. Is it a budget thing?
I’ve been wondering the same thing for years. I’m guessing mostly because of much lower budgets? I think that’s why we only really see these PS2 level 2D fighting games now so often. Most companies probably think investing a lot of money into fighting games is risky perhaps?

Is there any particular reason why fighting games don’t look as good as CG trailers by now? I mean, games of the genre used to be graphical showcases in the past; generally they looked much better than games of other genres, since all they have to render is two characters and a small stage. So I don’t understand why they look so underwhelming these days.

10+TF should be more than enough to render 2 hyper-realistic character models, stunning lighting, and a small, but super-detailed stage at 60fps. Games like Tekken 8 or Street Fighter 6 should utterly demolish stuff like Horizon FW or TLoU2 in terms of graphics and fluid animations, but they don’t. At all. And I don‘t understand why. Is it a budget thing?

The companies are aiming milk skins, characters, and cater to the competitive scene and sponsors to milk the most money, at least the japanese fighting games, which is why you aren't seeing much money being put in graphics, presentation, and animation. Just enough to cater to the that crowd, or hoping that other releases don't cannibalize their spotlight after launch.

Fighting game community gives them no reason to change yet so far.

Since western fighters that aren't indie focus more on content, story, graphics/presentation, and world building more, and no so much EVO and mtx (though still have it) they usually are the ones that go harder on visuals and animations now.

the new VF5 update to a game from 2005 actually looks better than some recent fighting games the last 6 years that were considered top of the line.

You're right, stages and characters should be better in Tekken 8, but it's not looking like much of a jump from Tekken 7 in many areas.

Most companies probably think investing a lot of money into fighting games is risky perhaps?

For Tekken? the second biggest traditional fighter after MK, that was number one for almost 20 years before 2015? Which people just go out and buy just because the name Tekken is on the cover even if they aren't really fighting game players?

No, they are just chasing after EVO, skins, and mtc/dlc characters p2w etc to milk more money that's all.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Remembering her old CGI endings. She’s definitely a good looking character. I liked Tekken a lot during 1-4. I kinda lost interest, but I played quite a bit of 5-7. The games look better, but something always feels different. I feel like Tekken was a lot more popular when arcades were still a thing and Tekken was a bit more grounded. It’s got this attitude now that the old Tekken fan in me finds kinda odd.

solidus12

Who wants to play some Tekken 7 online with me on PS4? ( I don’t know if the game has cross-play)

I’m an okay player. I mostly use Nina 👌🏼

Neff

If all the new mechanics work like they should this could be an absolute gamechanger for the series. I'm very impressed with the emphasis on heavily boosting signature moves for that old school Tekken feel while still keeping everything else relevant and promoting aggressive play.

Also Nina looks great, as always.

We're kind of getting there.

giphy.gif

SF keeps improving with every trailer and like others have said Tekken suddenly makes a small graphical jump near the end of development.

Technically Dead of Alive should be the leading graphical king of fighting games right now but ever since it stepped out of that race post-360 gen, the franchise hasn't been up to par graphically anymore.

We all just have to hope that Tekken 8(on release) can match that reveal trailer, which I'm thinking more and more it was just them testing out UE 5 or releasing target footage.

kazuya-kazama.gif

tekken8-kazuya.gif

//DEVIL//

we've fallen quite far from that original trailer haven't we?
right eh ?

this looks like Tekken 7.3 in terms of graphics. the original trailer was a real bad ass. this is just sad.

Look at the hair.. hello PS3 !!

I am a Tekken fan so ill buy this. but I think Ill wait and not just grab it day one. this is kinda underwhelming, to be honest.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

I’ve been wondering the same thing for years. I’m guessing mostly because of much lower budgets? I think that’s why we only really see these PS2 level 2D fighting games now so often. Most companies probably think investing a lot of money into fighting games is risky perhaps?
I think the graphics are a combination of always being able to guarantee a locked 60fps and very low render/input lag for a responsive feel to be able to react to things properly. Also the fighting game market is smaller than the big mainstream AAA titles, so I guess the budget is smaller.

splattered

Maybe game will get more polish before release.. that initial trailer was amazing. Hopefully they can get back close to that by final release? :/

So I'm guessing here about the plit by Tekken Force will have a super device that will restore the cells Hachi lost in the lava, restoring his body right before death because his body will somehow not instantly melt. Or he will have been a clone experiment and the real one was disappointed the clone failed to kill Kaz.

Will watch the plot on Youtube. Unless there's big improvements shown close to launch.

Barakov

Gold Member
Nina looks fine, I guess. Her voice just seems really off putting for some reason. Still it's a new Tekken so I'll be in there day 1.

Top Bottom