• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 8 – Nina Williams Revealed in New Gameplay Trailer

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Game looks fun, like the concepts of recovering energy with aggressive play, I wonder if that makes expert matches last longer. But damn at those costumes, having to be edgy and full of whatever is perceived as personality vs the so called drab archetypes of VF characters sure takes its toll. That dress looks more like an Anna outfit than Nina plus it behaves weird like it's glued on her thighs or something. And Paul's new hair, lol. Oh well, there will probably be plenty alternate costumes that are more like their look in older games but still I imagine these are the new defaults and they're meh.

Last edited:
For Tekken? the second biggest traditional fighter after MK, that was number one for almost 20 years before 2015? Which people just go out and buy just because the name Tekken is on the cover even if they aren't really fighting game players?

No, they are just chasing after EVO, skins, and mtc/dlc characters p2w etc to milk more money that's all.
Not necessarily Tekken or something like Street Fighter, but I’m talking about most fighting games in general. Most companies do not put any sizable budgets or huge investments because not only are fighting games very difficult to make, but they also see that the genre is very niche excluding a handful of titles. If more companies felt they could make money in fighting games, I feel many more companies would invest a significant amount of money into them instead of the same handful each generation.

Not necessarily Tekken or something like Street Fighter, but I’m talking about most fighting games in general. Most companies do not put any sizable budgets or huge investments because not only are fighting games very difficult to make, but they also see that the genre is very niche excluding a handful of titles. If more companies felt they could make money in fighting games, I feel many more companies would invest a significant amount of money into them instead of the same handful each generation.

No, as I said earlier, most Japanese fighting games (most of them) are aiming for competitive, MTX, DLC, p2w, skins etc for profit. They haven't been aiming for higher production, animation, and graphics at a top level since maybe SCIV. Even SFIV which was decent for the time, wasn't that hot graphically, and SFV was explained by their position at the time and needing Sony to help them, but other top Japanese devs are focusing more on money, so go for enough of a leap to keep the payers, and competitive scene happy.

The other fighting games companies it is a combination of that and them not having the budget to do so. Like for example. I don't expect SNK to put out a MKX Netherealm graphics or even close.

Goalus

OOOOOHHH WOW!!!! They revealed a character that has been in the franchise for more than 15 years without interruption... incredible!!!!

blow-mind-mind-blown.gif
She looks a bit too attractive for my tastes. Give her more muscles and a manly face, shoulders should be wider too.

Edit:
She's wearing a skirt? A SKIRT?
A coverall in this style would be much more appropriate:

5000.jpg

Last edited:

NaruRiasUzumaki

Neo Member
I was excepting Yoshimitsu, Xiaoyu, Hwo, and Alex announced but I'm happy for Nina mains!

Lmao. Harada just give Nina a dual Guns. We cannot waiting for Yoshi what he look like.

Last edited:

Brigandier

Nina Williams: " That was disappointing" No fucking shit Nina...

I was so hyped after the reveal trailer it actually looked next gen and like Tekken of old setting the bar for console beat em ups visually.

Now I'm looking at huge downgrades and awful character redesigns.

Surprised I haven't had a stroke or a fit with all these flashing lights and dumb animations during special moves, Can we fuck off with this shit in Tekken it's not cartoon like SF.

Shocked her guns aren't on her feet whilst she does Capoeira, First Paul now Nina who's next 🤦🏻‍♂️

Not seeing how this can't run on a PS4 tbh.

🤢🤢🤢

Crayon

Finally watched these trailers on a large screen. Graphics are disapointing. They're better, but not enough to set it much apart from 7. At the gameplay viewing distance, the overall impressions is close enough to 7. Not like the initial tease, which I do not think they will get back to.

Gameplay looks good, though. A little meter management never hurt.

GenericUser

Ninas outfit looks way better then her stupid wedding dress outfit in Tekken 7. So that is a plus. The particle effects need some work, but that was about to be expected. I don't get why people say this looks "too agressive" though. I mean it's a trailer for a character, of course you'll see a compilation of her moves and combos. That does not necessarily represent the final flow of the game.

FeralEcho

It's gonna be a day 1 purchase for me.Graphics look well above Tekken 7 so I really don't understand the complaining.It also seems to have some really impressive clothing physics which is always nice.As a negative though...Nina's new outfit....yeeesh,I really don't get what they were going for here.It's as if they couldn't decide between giving her Anna's classic dress and the full leather suit she has in 7 so they merged them into some weird amalgamation.Same with most characters shown so far actually,they all seem way overdressed.

Also the new announcer had to have had a couple of beers on his way to work that day right,he sounds like a parody.

Is there any particular reason why fighting games don’t look as good as CG trailers by now? I mean, games of the genre used to be graphical showcases in the past; generally they looked much better than games of other genres, since all they have to render is two characters and a small stage. So I don’t understand why they look so underwhelming these days.

10+TF should be more than enough to render 2 hyper-realistic character models, stunning lighting, and a small, but super-detailed stage at 60fps. Games like Tekken 8 or Street Fighter 6 should utterly demolish stuff like Horizon FW or TLoU2 in terms of graphics and fluid animations, but they don’t. At all. And I don‘t understand why. Is it a budget thing?
Not to throw shade at anyone, but might also be a talent thing. Not all devs are equal, whether we like it or not. Game development is as much art as it is tech. People here seem to put so much stock in engines and hardware they forget human of various skill levels make games. Do you really think artists and art teams who can work together to make something coherently incredible like Horizon FW & TLOU2 are a dime a dozen?

GenericUser

This is a summary from a system mechanic overview video that I shamelessly ripped off of reddit:

General Notes
  • Kohei "Nakatsu" Ikeda is the Director of this game. Unsure if Murray and/or Harada are (still) involved in the development directly, especially with Harada being in charge of Namco's original IPs, though I suppose Michael retains the Producer role still as his Twitter bio was not changed
  • "Aggressive" is the key word that describes pretty much everything about Tekken 8, from its main overall theme, to the gameplay, the overall presentation, the visual effects, the battle system, how developers want players to experience the game, how they approach the design, and so on
  • The game's battle system is intended to highlight each character's unique personalities, traits and characteristics, both in the design and actual gameplay, which is described in the Heat system section
  • per Nakatsu's own words, he wants and intends to make Tekken 8 the most enjoyable entry in the series to date
  • The development is in progress and "will take some time" still, no approximate date given. My guess is that this is a 2024 release while SF6 takes over the second half of 2023 with its early June debut, plus we still haven't really heard anything concrete from NRS about the next Mortal Kombat, so at the moment the 2023-2024 period is kinda looking like wild west in terms of potential fighting game launches
  • No details on the netcode being used were mentioned in the videos or trailers, so for now assume it's the same (maybe somewhat improved?) technology as Tekken 7's online solution
  • The Coliseum Arena stage we've seen in various trailers thus far is confirmed to have walls, though it does appear to be pretty damn big, perhaps bigger than most T7 stages in general
  • Based on the character trailers, the intro animations are still in, but in the build used to demonstrate the mechanics, characters kinda just go into their classic T1-3 era animations with a quick "Round 1 - Fight" sequence before the actual match begins. Perhaps the intros are removed for the Rematch so there's no more loading every single time and you can immedaitely jump into action, since PS5 and XBSX allow devs to do this thanks to their internal storage
  • No battle damage / match progression effects have been spotted so far, i.e. characters getting sweaty with each round or wet under changing weather conditions like in T7. Personally hope this effect is removed altogether
  • The KO-attack SloMo effect is also still in, you can briefly spot it later in the gameplay segments when Paul and Law trade blows
  • According to Harada and Nakatsu, all moves with armor (normal, super, hyper) have generally been made stronger, however it wasn't explained in detail whether it means higher damage, better framedata, better recovery, etc, so it remains to be seen until we can observe proper T8 gameplay from real players

Rage System
  • Works pretty much the same as since its introduction back in Tekken 6: get into low enough health state, and get stronger. It doesn't seem like the HP threshold at which Rage triggers was changed so it should still be ~30% health remaining
  • Rage Arts are confirmed to be back once again as the game's comeback factor mechanic, commonly found in the current era of fighting games
  • The lower the amount of health remaining, the more damage your moves Rage Arts do, which in itself is a sort of risk-reward element
  • The RA input has been universally changed to DF 1+2 (or DF R2) across the board, no character-specific inputs anymore
  • Rage Drives are gone, primarily because of the Heat system. The devs found them overlapping with other mechanics so they consolidated the battle system a bit. More on this below but regardless this particular mechanic is dead

Health Gauge Recovery
  • In Tekken 8, normal attacks and juggle combos now inflict a certain percentage of damage as "grey" or "chip" damage on hit
  • The chip can be applied on block as well, but this trait is only reserved for what Harada and Nakatsu call "strong moves", so think stuff like EWGF or the Death Fist and such. Jabs and other weaker normals otherwise work the same as they do now in T7 and all past Tekken titles
  • The system is designed as a sort of callback to the Tekken Tag series where a chunk of player's health remained as red damage even after a combo is done, though obviously it is functionally different this time
  • The chip damage (or Recoverable Gauge as they call it, RG for short) doesn't regenerate on its own however and instead requires action to be taken by the receiver. Think of how the Rally system works in Bloodborne where if you take damage and immediately retaliate, you'll regen HP back with each attack dealt to the enemies - basically the same concept is used for RG in T8
  • If the defender doesn't respond in time and eats a Low from the attacker, the amount of RG is reduced based on the damage done by said low, which promotes going onto offensive play instead of turtling / holding back
  • Moving around the stage (dashes, sidesteps, jumps etc) also doesn't regen the RG, so it works exclusively by trading blows, again linking back to "aggressive" being the keyword behind T8's design philosophy
  • Thankfully, the RG buildup doesn't end in a KO, so for now Tekken still doesn't have any form of a chip kill, meaning depending on how much white health is present you could in theory regen all the way back up and still finish the round or a match with a W
  • Also, if armored moves such as Power Crushes absorb opponent attacks, the damage absorbed is turned into RG, so in theory you could even instantly regain all the chip if the move successfully lands

Heat System
  • the Heat System is essentially an Install that's available to every single character in the roster
  • Heat is activated with a single button press, this action is called a Heat Burst (HB). Using HB starts to slowly burn the blue colored Heat gauge located right under the healthbar
  • At the start of the round, both players have immediate access to this mechanic, meaning no meter generation required at all unlike the 2D characters' meters in T7
  • the Heat state itself lasts a total of 10 seconds if a player just stands still or moves around, but landing attacks, whether on hit or block, as well as knocking the opponent down, will cause the Heat gauge burn to momentarily stop, so once you pop it - you have to keep your offence going
  • You cannot just whiff buttons in neutral/footsies, the moves actually have to connect with your opponent, otherwise the gauge will keep on draining
  • Another method of triggering Heat is called a Heat Engager (HE). Unlike the HB, this isn't a single move but rather a multitude of buttons in each character's movelist, with an average of 5 different ones per
  • The HEs are designed as primary moves to learn for the beginners designated to most well known ones so they're not overwhelmed by seeing the movelists for the first time, and until a newbie gets comfortable enough with the game and the character, they can sort of rely on HEs while also directly engaging with one of T8's main unique mechanics
  • The Burst / HB is generally plus on block, and can be used in the middle of a combo. Keep in mind the HB is an attack in itself, not simply a toggle like the V-Triggers in Street Fighter V, so it can be whiffed if your opponents reads you and dodges in time. However, you also have an option of cancelling out of HBs with an additional input (they didn't specify which), making it safe to enter Heat at a distance
  • The Engagers / HE are also attacking moves, but unlike the HB, Engagers cannot be cancelled out of, and upon connecting they trigger an auto-run kinda similar to KOF XIV and XV's Max Mode activation, allowing you to quickly close the distance to the opponent
  • The move framedata does not change when in Heat state, so at the moment the biggest advantage for the attacker is extending the duration by landing attacks, and the biggest disadvantage for the defender is slow build up of the RG on every hit taken and blocked
  • Very important to remember: once the Heat gauge burns out, it's gone until the next round. There is no way to regain access to it or regenerate it, not even via Rage Mode or landing a Rage Art etc, and since it continues to burn down after activation - catching an opponent's attack potentially means you lose all momentum and one of the game's major mechanics

Heat-specific State Actions
  • After popping the Heat state, there is a chain-like icon next to the gauge. This is an indicator for another mechanic called Heat Energy, and you gain gain up to two of it depending on how you enter the Heat state itself - one is granted if you use the Burst, and two if you use an Engager, so there's an element of choice as the Burst instantly activates Heat and you can't use two of it
  • From there, you gain access to two brand new moves, these are in turn called the Heat Smash (HS) and the Heat Dash (HD)
  • The Dash sort of works like Focus Attack Dash Cancel (FADC) in Street Fighter IV, Roman Cancel (RC) in Guilty Gear, or the Drive Rush (DR) in Street Fighter 6, allowing you to spend 1 unit of Heat Energy (HEn for short, I guess?) to cancel out of a move and quickly move towards the opponent, which opens up combo routes where you'd otherwise be too far to continue attacking
  • HD can be used twice in a row if you have enough Energy, however if the opponent is being juggled - you're limited to only one use of HD until he falls to the ground. Very likely this is to prevent "wall-to-wall" style juggle combos we commonly see in high level T7 play
  • The Smash consumes 2 units of HEn, and is designed to be a super strong move with its own cinematic. You can think of HS as this game's Rage Drive but locked behind more resources instead of just being at low enough health since Rage triggers automatically
  • While active, the Heat state applies a passive effect where every single attack you land inflicts the chip damage / RG, even if your moves are blocked, no matter if it's a jab or something stronger.
  • Also as Nakatsu explained, the Heat system in T8 is designed to highlight the strengths or certain quicks of each roster member. We don't yet have the full extent to which this particular concept is realized, but from what was shown today: Paul can now guard break the opponent on moves like the Death Fist, Law gets better juggle potential on various attacks such as his Nunchucks which he now actively uses, King gains hyperarmor on his new Power Crush, and Nina can zone or just attack from a safe distance using her double pistols

Control Scheme
  • with Tekken 8, Bandai have established two sort of control scheme styles, intended to be used by players of different skill levels
  • One of them is the traditional Arcade style that we're all now familiar with, no real changes here compared to T7
  • The other is called Special style, which combines the Easy Combo and Assist features that were initially present in T7's story mode and later patched in as a button mapping option in the controller settings, but greatly expanded
  • Instead of simply being a one-tap activator for just 4 moves depending on what face button and bumper button you press, the Special style can now act as the trigger for Heat system, use auto-combos similar to various other fighting games, and it even takes into context what state your opponent is currently in, so for example depending on your starter, you could go from a single move, to juggle, to HE, to RA or HS, all with the press of essentially one button
  • Unlike T7, there are no restrictions for using the Special style, meaning it seems to be fully legal even in Online Ranked matches, at least based on Harada's and Nakatsu's wording. They also did mention competitive play, but since T8 is not yet a part of Tekken World Tour, I can only assume Special style will be universally banned at TWT events, at least after the Pools stages, but we'll see what happens next year

Other Stuff
  • the 2023 season of Tekken World Tour is confirmed and is set to kick off with EVO Japan at the end of March. Bandai will be releasing more details about the next TWT over the coming months, and they're set to open the Dojo event applications in mid-March
  • No Online events or regional restrictions like in the past couple of seasons due to Corona outbreak, we're back to the TWT 2017-2019 format with a unified Global leaderboard and offline tournaments
  • One of the first major TWT2023 events is The Mixup in Lyon, France, which is going to be held in the middle of April. More events to be confirmed. Obviously no details about the next LCQ and Finals were given
  • There will be a Closed Alpha Test held for Tekken 8, and only players that enter T7 at EVO Japan can sign up. They mentioned a raffle-style pick for participants if there are too many applicants, but unknown what number they consider as "too many". Other regions will also be able to sign up at future events
  • Nina was confirmed as playable in T8. She's been given a new design, one of her intro animations is same as T7, and she also now can use guns as a part of her moveset
  • As of now, the total playable cast of Tekken 8 consists of 9 characters: Jin, Kazuya, Jun, Paul, Law, Lars, Jack, King, and Nina. Seeing as the game isn't coming out any time soon we'll for sure keep seeing reveal trailers in the coming months, and I wouldn't be susprised if a couple more show up at EVO Japan
  • At the moment we have no idea about the Defensive mechanics in the game, so I guess for now we wait and see what kind of adjustments and changes the developers make to the game as time goes on, plus I'm sure they'll take feedback from the Closed Alpha into consideration. But I'm not gonna like things are looking kinda scary
The video can be found here:

Last edited:

CGNoire

Im sick of all these Online Multiplayer focused charter movesets designed to give every single character the same attack cadence when fighting. It makes every character feel the same. I so miss the uneveness of Tekken 3 and TagT1 movesets and differneces in character speed and strength. Shit been homegenized to hell and back since Tekken 5 all so they can have a more even online competition. All Martial Arts arent equal when it comes to there effectiveness in combat and shouldnt be shoe horned into the same mold shits boring. Nina and her opponent both attacked eachother with pretty much the same timings.. yawn. Playing old school tekken and winning with weaker characters was always cool. Now the only reason to change is for cosmetic and or too see new animation. Shits so repetetive compared to before.

GymWolf

That model would not be out of place in ps4 launch game...

People (well the majority) got fooled hard by that first trailer:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Same SHIT generic trance track..
Tekken lunar physics juggling combos.
This game has been the same since 5

Last edited:

Brigandier

Same SHIT generic trance track..
Tekken lunar physics juggling combos.
This game has been the same since 5

Yeah the music used to be great in this series, Cream of the crop even but post Tekken 4 the music in this series has been absolutely shit besides some good tracks in Tekken 6.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Let me be clear the game is alright if you like it.. but my god when i play tekken 5 on my psp go it feels the same

hyperbertha

Not to throw shade at anyone, but might also be a talent thing. Not all devs are equal, whether we like it or not. Game development is as much art as it is tech. People here seem to put so much stock in engines and hardware they forget human of various skill levels make games. Do you really think artists and art teams who can work together to make something coherently incredible like Horizon FW & TLOU2 are a dime a dozen?
The initial trailer proves they cane make incredible visuals if they want. This is most likely a hardware/engine issue.

Ngl, I like this version of Nina. Milf Nina ftw.

Even if she makes your magic sword appear, this still looks pretty bad.

The initial trailer proves they cane make incredible visuals if they want. This is most likely a hardware/engine issue.

It proves the can make a Bulltrailer outside of gameplay in-engine.

It makes me wonder how the next Soul Calibur will look, which USED to always be namcos graphics fighter.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Looks a tiny better but nothing which would suggest a PS4 -> PS5 leap.
Theres in depth video comparison on youtube 8 look sharper and more detailed

Btw

Teken 7 Nina
sP6t4va.jpg
duRz308.jpg

Teken 8 Nina
LcyeL3Q.jpg
RD41B77.jpg

Nina Williams in teken 8

Hungry Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Last edited:
No, as I said earlier, most Japanese fighting games (most of them) are aiming for competitive, MTX, DLC, p2w, skins etc for profit. They haven't been aiming for higher production, animation, and graphics at a top level since maybe SCIV. Even SFIV which was decent for the time, wasn't that hot graphically, and SFV was explained by their position at the time and needing Sony to help them, but other top Japanese devs are focusing more on money, so go for enough of a leap to keep the payers, and competitive scene happy.

The other fighting games companies it is a combination of that and them not having the budget to do so. Like for example. I don't expect SNK to put out a MKX Netherealm graphics or even close.
GG Strive and DB fighterz both look incredible. Street Fighter 6 looks really freakin good and Tekken 8 is going to look great too when it launches. Yes there was a downgrade from that cinematic trailer but some of these stages look great and have some impressive lighting. The stage set at night in Tokyo with all the billboards shows what tekken 8 is capable of. Plus, there's still a long time before this game actually comes out.

Is there any particular reason why fighting games don’t look as good as CG trailers by now? I mean, games of the genre used to be graphical showcases in the past; generally they looked much better than games of other genres, since all they have to render is two characters and a small stage. So I don’t understand why they look so underwhelming these days.

10+TF should be more than enough to render 2 hyper-realistic character models, stunning lighting, and a small, but super-detailed stage at 60fps. Games like Tekken 8 or Street Fighter 6 should utterly demolish stuff like Horizon FW or TLoU2 in terms of graphics and fluid animations, but they don’t. At all. And I don‘t understand why. Is it a budget thing?

Netherealm actually do put in the effort. MK 11 looks just as good if not better than T8 of SF6 and its a game thats almost 4 years old? Its obvious the Japanese developers either suck at utilizing Unreal engine or they are stuck in the early 2000s arcade mindset where all that was important was that its 60fps.

Newsflash: MK11 is built on Unreal 3 (yes three) and runs at 60fps with all its bells and whistles. Plus it has stages that are way detailed than what Tekken put out in a long time.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Looking forward to Tekken 8, not feeling Nina at all though, or the heat system mechanics or whatever they are called.

Hopefully the game turns out great/to my liking, if not, there is still street fighter 6 & GG Strive this year.

Will keep an eye on the game.

Netherealm actually do put in the effort. MK 11 looks just as good if not better than T8 of SF6 and its a game thats almost 4 years old? Its obvious the Japanese developers either suck at utilizing Unreal engine or they are stuck in the early 2000s arcade mindset where all that was important was that its 60fps.

Newsflash: MK11 is built on Unreal 3 (yes three) and runs at 60fps with all its bells and whistles. Plus it has stages that are way detailed than what Tekken put out in a long time.
Yeah, MK11 still looks really impressive. Didn’t MK11 also have a huge budget especially compared to most fighting games as well?

GG Strive and DB fighterz both look incredible. Street Fighter 6 looks really freakin good and Tekken 8 is going to look great too when it launches. Yes there was a downgrade from that cinematic trailer but some of these stages look great and have some impressive lighting. The stage set at night in Tokyo with all the billboards shows what tekken 8 is capable of. Plus, there's still a long time before this game actually comes out.

SF6 is looking worse and worse, and the first two games you mentioned have a nice visual artstyle but aren't technically impressive at all.

Yeah, MK11 still looks really impressive. Didn’t MK11 also have a huge budget especially compared to most fighting games as well?

To be fair MK has always had a huge budget compared to most fighting games since the 90s.

MKX still looks good too.

Namco's been falling behind with Tekken and SC lately, which both used to look decent.

Labolas

Even if she makes your magic sword appear, this still looks pretty bad.

It proves the can make a Bulltrailer outside of gameplay in-engine.

It makes me wonder how the next Soul Calibur will look, which USED to always be namcos graphics fighter.
Lol bad how? Because what I saw wasn't bad. Kof 14's graphics were bad. This is obviously a downgrade of the teaser trailer which was there to elicit hype and get people talking but this isn't bad.

SSfox

MK11 is 2D with no stages with multi levels, mouvements limited to 2D and Stages is modeled in one side only, and runs 30 fps during cinematic moves (Fatal Blows, Fatalities etc), sure it's way easier to push more in polygons of what's on Screen.

Also T8 is still in WIP, so.

Lol bad how? Because what I saw wasn't bad. Kof 14's graphics were bad. This is obviously a downgrade of the teaser trailer which was there to elicit hype and get people talking but this isn't bad.

Comparing to other games, the company, and their budget, you gotta admit the graphics don't look like were they should be for next generation graphics.

Top Bottom