• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 8 – Nina Williams Revealed in New Gameplay Trailer

Labolas

Comparing to other games, the company, and their budget, you gotta admit the graphics don't look like were they should be for next generation graphics.
I get being disappointed at the current result, it just isn't outright bad. At this point I would be more worried about the gameplay than the graphics.

Considering some of mainstream fgs are going for style over substance aimed at an esports audience.

I get being disappointed at the current result, it just isn't outright bad. At this point I would be more worried about the gameplay than the graphics.

Considering some of mainstream fgs are going for style over substance aimed at an esports audience.

Which fighting games are going for style over substance? Tekken 8 is still among the best looking of the competitive fighters (technically) even with the downgrade.

I haven't seen a next gen looking game yet.

MK11 is 2D with no stages with multi levels, mouvements limited to 2D and Stages is modeled in one side only, and runs 30 fps during cinematic moves (Fatal Blows, Fatalities etc), sure it's way easier to push more in polygons of what's on Screen.

Also T8 is still in WIP, so.

Really that is your argument, because it doesnt have multi levels on a single stage? The same levels that have low poly textures, ground tiles that break and magically reappear while MKs usable content on the stage stays destroyed as the match goes on, the stages are dynamic meaning there is a ton of stuff happening in the background as the fight goes on. The fighters get battered and damaged over time, if they have certain equipment on them, it will get knocked out from them and stay off of them until the match ends. MK 11 is a PS4 game, Tekken is a PS5 game that still doesnt know how to take advantage. You are making it sound like fighting games require this insane power to run these polygons, while we have games like Horizon, GT7, Demon Souls, Elden Ring that have to generate millions of polygons a second for the vast open space and make it look like there is no pop up while we have a large distance view.

You are going to tell me that a simple fighter in its tiny 3D box requires more power than an open world game does while also using the newest Unreal 5 engine? And we have seen what U5 is capable of with even less polygons because of its design. Im not hating on Tekken as I like to play it too but its becoming embarrassing ever since PS3 how the Japanese developers weren't ever able to match the graphical fidelity of the western studios because their only argument was that their game runs at 60fps so it makes it a better fighter and for competitions. Well now every fighter is 60 fps and they just keep pushing the boundaries. Sure the game is still in development but if it does change, it will be a slight graphical bump. At the moment, they downgraded from the reveal trailer. So question is will they even reach that level for the final game or it will still be lower version of what was possible. If so then Tekken 8 will be T7 but in 4K with new lighting.

The game is not going to be in development another 3 years, pretty sure by the end of this or beginning of next year its out. Plus when you start revealing characters and are making trailers for them, you arent showing off the beta/work in progress/2 years from gold status content. The game is already in its final stages, now they are probably filling it with content and messing around with online and other stuff. You are kidding yourself is T8 will look massively better in a years time. When they start revealing characters and stages, it means they are ready to go. No more polygons will be added.

A8xk6zq.jpg

6AiMCB5.jpg

6XNj01m.jpg

The amount of detail, swaying of the light source, 50+ dead monks bandanas swinging in the wind, flags, swaying structures and moving obstacles at all times, this is way more advanced than Tekken multi levels which only a few stages have and it is a 4 year old game. Can you imagine MK 12 also with U5 engine?

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I don't care much about graphics. I would've been fine with a Tekken 7 boosted to 4k and load times cut short. If T8 is just that then its day one. What I don't like is removing characters again. I mained Armor King in 6, he was gone in 7 until DLC. etc.

Labolas

MK11 was already discussed, I was talking about CURRENT gen games, and Strive is not a technical showcase. Nice artsyle though
I think you got confused. You asked which games have style over substance and I gave you an answer.

GG Strive and MK11 are not TRUE current gen games because they're made for PS4 in mind. Hell, I don't think there are any.

YCoCg

OK, having watched the recent videos back to back, apart from Kaz and Jin, why does everyone look soo much older? Are they actually advancing the timeline? Was the Kaz and Jin part a prologue? Each other character shown looks like they've gained about 5 years.

I think you got confused. You asked which games have style over substance and I gave you an answer.

Uh
Which fighting games are going for style over substance? Tekken 8 is still among the best looking of the competitive fighters (technically) even with the downgrade.

GG Strive and MK11 are not TRUE current gen games because they're made for PS4 in mind. Hell, I don't think there are any.

GG strive is still more are than technical, i was focusing on technical aspects.

Example, MK11 is still a showcase despite being on a patched engine based on UE3.

Tekken 7 should have looked better than it did, it didn't, but ok then it moved to consoles, not much changed. Now we are seeing Tekken 8, and it's still not where it needs to be.

Even KI for the time was better which was intended to be a skin, mtx, f2p game just like the market the Japanese fighting games are targeting.

Only reason for this I can think of is they want to put more money on milking and the competitive scene and don't want to do more than the minimum to maximize profit.

Labolas

Uh

GG strive is still more are than technical, i was focusing on technical aspects.

Example, MK11 is still a showcase despite being on a patched engine based on UE3.

Tekken 7 should have looked better than it did, it didn't, but ok then it moved to consoles, not much changed. Now we are seeing Tekken 8, and it's still not where it needs to be.

Even KI for the time was better which was intended to be a skin, mtx, f2p game just like the market the Japanese fighting games are targeting.

Only reason for this I can think of is they want to put more money on milking and the competitive scene and don't want to do more than the minimum to maximize profit.
Again I think you got confused. You LITERALLY asked me a question. The rest of reply had nothing to do with me. I was simply pointed out two games that have more style than substance. And if you mean, Strive is technical. In what way? Graphically? Mechanically? For one you didn't talk about any technical and mechanical regarding Strive when replying to me. Two, you would know that Strive strips down several mechanics that were integral and known to the franchise.

Tekken so far hasn't done that as far as I know.

Last edited:
Again I think you got confused. You LITERALLY asked me a question. The rest of reply had nothing to do with me.

Uh?

Comparing to other games, the company, and their budget, you gotta admit the graphics don't look like were they should be for next generation graphics.

I'm not confused at all.

Really that is your argument, because it doesnt have multi levels on a single stage? The same levels that have low poly textures, ground tiles that break and magically reappear while MKs usable content on the stage stays destroyed as the match goes on, the stages are dynamic meaning there is a ton of stuff happening in the background as the fight goes on. The fighters get battered and damaged over time, if they have certain equipment on them, it will get knocked out from them and stay off of them until the match ends. MK 11 is a PS4 game, Tekken is a PS5 game that still doesnt know how to take advantage. You are making it sound like fighting games require this insane power to run these polygons, while we have games like Horizon, GT7, Demon Souls, Elden Ring that have to generate millions of polygons a second for the vast open space and make it look like there is no pop up while we have a large distance view.

You are going to tell me that a simple fighter in its tiny 3D box requires more power than an open world game does while also using the newest Unreal 5 engine? And we have seen what U5 is capable of with even less polygons because of its design. Im not hating on Tekken as I like to play it too but its becoming embarrassing ever since PS3 how the Japanese developers weren't ever able to match the graphical fidelity of the western studios because their only argument was that their game runs at 60fps so it makes it a better fighter and for competitions. Well now every fighter is 60 fps and they just keep pushing the boundaries. Sure the game is still in development but if it does change, it will be a slight graphical bump. At the moment, they downgraded from the reveal trailer. So question is will they even reach that level for the final game or it will still be lower version of what was possible. If so then Tekken 8 will be T7 but in 4K with new lighting.

The game is not going to be in development another 3 years, pretty sure by the end of this or beginning of next year its out. Plus when you start revealing characters and are making trailers for them, you arent showing off the beta/work in progress/2 years from gold status content. The game is already in its final stages, now they are probably filling it with content and messing around with online and other stuff. You are kidding yourself is T8 will look massively better in a years time. When they start revealing characters and stages, it means they are ready to go. No more polygons will be added.

A8xk6zq.jpg

6AiMCB5.jpg

6XNj01m.jpg

The amount of detail, swaying of the light source, 50+ dead monks bandanas swinging in the wind, flags, swaying structures and moving obstacles at all times, this is way more advanced than Tekken multi levels which only a few stages have and it is a 4 year old game. Can you imagine MK 12 also with U5 engine?

It's crazy how a patched custom UE3 game that came out 4 years ago can still look that much better than big budget main releases for other fighters. Even MKX, KI, and Injustice 2 are still somewhat high in the tiers.

I can get this for companies like SNK, but for Namco, Capcom, etc?

OK, having watched the recent videos back to back, apart from Kaz and Jin, why does everyone look soo much older? Are they actually advancing the timeline? Was the Kaz and Jin part a prologue? Each other character shown looks like they've gained about 5 years.
Funny thing is, only 6 months passed between Tekken 7 & 8, lol.

This you? Do you not know what style over substance is when regarding fgs?

So you are wrong, so requote me cutting off the rest of the quote showing the context for the question, after I just posted the chain of posts that started the exchange?

Again,

The context and conversation is crystal clear. You may have forgotten it but the conversation as about Tekken 8 not looking like a next gen game, and the bolded in the last quote clearly was related tot he context of the question, so you removing it doesn't make any sense. Your response was also related to Tekken 8 and it not looking current gen.

Labolas

So you are wrong, so requote me cutting off the rest of the quote showing the context for the question, after I just posted the chain of posts that started the exchange?

Again,

The context and conversation is crystal clear. You may have forgotten it but the conversation as about Tekken 8 not looking like a next gen game, and the bolded in the last quote clearly was related tot he context of the question, so you removing it doesn't make any sense. Your response was also related to Tekken 8 and it not looking current gen.
I'm not wrong, I clarified like 3 posts ago what I was referring to. I cut the part of the post to show you DIRECTLY what I referring to and what I'm answering when I said Strive and MK11. It's not rocket science, holy shit.

I'm not wrong, I clarified like 3 posts ago what I was referring to.

And I clarified the context of the conversation and what I was referring to. Me, the person you were responding to.

I cut the part of the post to show you DIRECTLY what I referring to

Which removes the context of the conversation and the question, there is no reason to cut the rest of the post when that last bolded line is directly related.

Anyway, now that the miscommunication has been fixed, I'd like to reiterate that I've not seem much of a leap in fighters this gen, even enhanced.

SF6 is mixed right now, we will see if they polish it up before release, Tekken 8 on the other hand is releasing character videos, which as AeonGaidenRaiden AeonGaidenRaiden said, is usually a sign the game is coming sooner than later.

Labolas

Which removes the context of the conversation and the question, there is no reason to cut the rest of the post when that last bolded line is directly related.

Steve Harvey Lol GIF by Digg
No doesn't, because your first question can be separated and answered to on its own.

Yeah anyways, hopefully the game pans out well for the Tekken community.

Last edited:
Can't stay excited for fighting games anymore knowing 70% of the total roster will be DLC.
This concerns and annoys me as well for all future fighting games. I still think DLC, Season passes and the live service model of the majority of fighting games really hurt them. I feel they are typically too expensive for most people to get the full experience. Obviously, they try to get longevity and money out of them for as long as possible, but they usually do get ridiculous with pricing for the DLC and Season passes for which imo makes them glorified live service games.

Top Bottom