• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 8: Speculation, Discussion and wishlist

SSfox

Hi Everyone, so here the Tekken 8 speculation, discussions and whishlist:

Tekken 8 hasn't been announce yet of course, but as Tekken 7 coming to the end of its cycle, it's obvious that it's just a matter of time before Tekken 8:

Here's some of the things i want for Tekken 8:

- Go back to the focus of Martial Arts, no more stuffs like Geese, Eliza or Negan, more of Lidia, Fakhumram and Leroy
- Make the male characters not too much testerons, like Tekken 4 style, some characters are meant to be super buff, but some others like Hwoarang are weird with so much muscles.
- Give the characters unique walk, run, and side step animation
- Good Story, specially for non Mishima characters (Mishima usually has good story)
- Remove the generic common outfits and customs, just keep the unique ones per characters.
- Give Law back his voice of Tekken 345 style, and also make him thin like Tekken 4 and not too fan unlike T7, he is meant to be Bruce Lee, by making him fat it remove a part of his charisma, GIVE ME BACK MY MARSHALL :cryinggif:
- Also give Bryan his pale/white Skin back.

Playing Law in Tekken 4 with GOD theme
70A0A8882453BC7F549E24833E69B0C6BAF172F7

Of course there are many other things i want to see in Tekken 8, but that's all for now.

Some Tekken 4 gifs, cause it's the best Tekken when it comes to story, art direction and charisma

law-tekken4-flip-kick-yoshimitsu.gif
BlushingVapidHarrier-size_restricted.gif

Discuss

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Taking any inspiration form Tekken 4 is a horrible idea.

I just want a new engine with actual good graphics.

And please for the love of harada, don't make us wait 2 years for a console release.

I think namco should just make a Tekken spinoff featuring only weird characters such as animals, robots, demons. I would fucking love it.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I find any fighting game really boring nowadays.

For Tekken to grab me again, I'd want to see a complete reboot of the series and a complete reboot of the fighting genre.

I'm not sure how this would look in practice, but I always imagined a full 3D, 4 v 4 fighter, with an over the shoulder 3rd person view, complete with fully destructible/interactive environments (like the Battlefield series) and a long, epic campaign.

Something like that would get be back into fighting games.

Let it die already so they create something new. The motion captured martial arts in the game are almost 30 years old and look too awkward to be cool today.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Taking any inspiration form Tekken 4 is a horrible idea.

I just want a new engine with actual good graphics.

And please for the love of harada, don't make us wait 2 years for a console release.

I think namco should just make a Tekken spinoff featuring only weird characters such as animals, robots, demons. I would fucking love it.
Artstyle was the shit, though.

That being said, I just want them to wipe the slate clean and go back to Tekken 5 and go off that for inspiration. Tekken 7 just feels so chunky and weird to play, the game feels almost as bad as KoF 13 in terms of "Learn 1 -2 set ups, touch of death, win" I want that precision footsies game back from 5 and 5:DR because as it stands playing VR:FS is how I kinda how I imagined Tekken to be at this point.

SkylineRKR

Make the characters young again. Young Kaz and Hei are based. Young Paul and Young Law are based too. Bring Michelle back.

Basically let it take place around Tekken 2 era. I think the overall style, music and atmosphere of Tekken 2 reigns supreme. In fact, trying this game made me a Playstation gamer back in 1996. Fuck canon, just bring Hwo and Bryan along as well. I like Fakh, but I raise you the return of Bruce Irvin.

With this, also remove rage and super combos. Go back to basic.

Last edited:
These games need to evolve because it seems like they devolved over time. I remember back when DOA3 came out, the stages had like 3 levels, always changing, you go from fighting on a hill, drop to a street and if you keep pushing you end up smashing into a mall setting.

And stop with the stupid low poly cracks in the ground textures every time someone even trips....then it just disappears. Basically make stages more interactive/destructible.

And dont make Yoshimitsu look like a hentai tentacle. You killed my boy.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how this would look in practice, but I always imagined a full 3D, 4 v 4 fighter, with an over the shoulder 3rd person view, complete with fully destructible/interactive environments (like the Battlefield series) and a long, epic campaign.

Yeah, and I'd get into racing games if they turned the next Gran Turismo into an immersive sim where you play a hacker fighting a rogue AI on a mutant-infested space station.

decisions

Totally agree that they need to keep the focus on martial arts. It’s what sets Tekken apart from other fighters and there are too many characters now in T7 with the DLC that simply make the game less cool to watch.

Unique animations for system-wide actions would be great as well like you mention OP.

As for me, just make Lee great again!

ship a complete game with all the modes, stages and fighters again.

And remove that stupid rage mechanic that they ruined the series with.

Last edited:

SSfox

I really hope they will think about brining back Law into his Tekken 4 design, he was so much more perfect and better , please BAMCO

Everything was Perfect with Law in T4, his face, his body physics, his voice, everything :messenger_loudly_crying: . Bring him back to his T4 design.

Another video but with his 2P outfit (that actually i miss tbh and didn't make it in T7)

Last edited:

Hoppa

Keep juggles, remove screw attacks and rage arts.

Get someone to write an actual stories for the characters. What happened to Eddy is an unforgivable offense and I wish them nothing but excrement and bed bugs.

New art direction. These character have looked the exact same for generations and I'm certain some of them use the same .wav grunts from Tekken 5. They need an overhaul shit looks OLD

Customization options needs to be better. Nobody wants 5XL metallic japanese wrestling shirts Harada. Or a giant pizza. Or a tree on the characters head. This bullshit takes up 99% of the available items. Either create better shit or just remove customisation and make better alternative outfits. They hired Japanese artists to design some in T6 and Tag 2 and they were pretty cool, I think even the Naruto artist designed a costume for Law or Lars

I remember reading that T7 was made on a very limited budget because it came off the back of Tag 2 which was a massive flop. If T8 is sparse and lacking in content I'm out!

KAL2006

Banned
Start from scratch. Small roster of 24 characters half new characters. Graphics are groundbreaking with sweat and realistic animation with Hugh production making it look next gen. It will be like a reboot similar to Tekken 3. No reused animation or assets.

Last edited:
Actual budget with complete modes and content this time. Given T7 is currently the second best seller in the franchise they have no excuse to half-ass certain aspects of the game because the previous game didn't sale, while also re-selling formerly free modes and content as DLC (DLC pack 1 was such a joke).

No more 2D characters or characters made around mechanics from, or inspired by, completely different games with completely different rules and gameplay.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned

For Tekken to grab me again, I'd want to see a complete reboot of the series and a complete reboot of the fighting genre.

Anarchy Reigns?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Kill it .. kill the whole genre

modern day fighters are a fucking mistake
MTX INFUSED CARROT ON A STICK SHEIT

let me pick a fighter...

90% of fighter roster greyed out.. please BUY DLC season 24 to unlock this character.
🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Things I don't want see back in Tekken 8:

- Items moves
- Generic and common costumize stuffs
- Eliza
Things I want to get me back into Tekken

Tekken 5, PT. 2 in terms of art direction and gameplay

Back to infinite scrolling stages

Netcode that isn’t terrible on console’s, it was great on PC but waiting 5-10 minutes for a match is ridiculous

makaveli60

They need to rework the animations. It feels like I’m still playing Tekken 3 with better graphics. And I loved Tekken 3.

Elysion

Banned

I agree. I’ve mentioned this before in another thread, but I would argue that the fighting genre in general is the one genre that never truly made the jump to 3d, and that these games fundamentally still play very much the same as they did during the days of Tekken 1 and Street Fighter 2. You have two fighters from a side-perspective, who can only move back and forth on a straight line (except for an occasional side-step maybe), while their move-sets consist of a list of button combos (some of which are absurdly complex) that you have to learn. No to mention that the ‘story modes’ in these games are usually totally barebones.

The only fighting game I’m aware of that ever tried to move beyond these conventions and embrace all three dimensions was Bushido Blade (and its sequel) on PS1, which had an optional 1st person perspective and allowed you to move freely around the arena. I guess there are games like Dissidia Final Fantasy, which does have traversable 3d environments (and some of the Dragon Ball games too I believe), but I would classify these more as action games than anything else.

Anyway, for a franchise like Tekken to grab the attention of the wider public again (beyond just fighting game fans) it would indeed need a radical overhaul. Other than making a proper jump to 3d, I’d also like to see a proper story mode, where you start as a young new fighter who earns some money in illegal back-alley fights, and then climbs the ranks until you fight in proper tournaments (somewhat similar to the carrier modes in racing games like Forza or GT, basically).

SSfox

Things I want to get me back into Tekken

Tekken 5, PT. 2 in terms of art direction and gameplay

Back to infinite scrolling stages

Netcode that isn’t terrible on console’s, it was great on PC but waiting 5-10 minutes for a match is ridiculous
I agree with everything here, but i don't get what you mean by "Back to infinite scrolling stages"?

Also yeah, after Tekken 5 the art direction has been a downgrade overall, specially when it comes to stages, in Tekken 5 there were floor cracks, water flows, flowers flows, petals, and ice cracking. But since Tekken 6 while i more appreciate addition like floor break or balcony break that also added depth to the gameplay, those really super great additions, but it's just the generic floor cracking all day long. I would love to see Tekken Team go back to Tekken 5 stages design varitety.

Tekken 5 was mindblowing back then, also the brand new characters were some of my favorite of all time, Raven is my favorite Ninja on any game, i would love to see him back as well, Master Raven is cool but not as cool tho. I would love they make him a Pro Hacker, something like Adam Jensen and Sombra.

Also fun fact: Tekken 5 E3 and TGS 2004 trailers are the trailers that i watched the most in my life, it was something around at least 30 times at least per day.

Griffon

I love the game, but the truth is walk, backdash and sidestep animations look goofy as fuck. Make it look more smooth and natural, this isn't 1997 anymore.

And for god sake, no more 2 minute mandatory loading screen between each fight. This is the single thing that kills the game the most for me.

Last edited:

squarealex

Some Tekken 4 gifs, cause it's the best Tekken when it comes to story, art direction and charisma
My man

But I expect nothing today for Tekken 8. I very disapointed of the new way with recent season pass... (new character is absolute trash.... Fakuram, Leeroy, Lidia.. is so meh, Julia is destroyed)
Even I can accept effort for the new design of few characters (except Julia, my god, what happening).... I don't like the way of full e-Sport...

I just want play Tekken for fun... not casual but regular, with regular players. And offline content is poor
I'm very affraid what Michael Murray doing with Tekken

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
- A Reboot with a Mature Story
- The return of Paul's personality of Tekken 4 ( A real man... Not a clown)
- Kazuya and jin must remove forever
- Keep Xiaoyu outfit of Tekken 7 ( was the Best of that game)
-The return of Jun
- A Tag mode
- Tekken force must return.

Blond

Banned
Kill it .. kill the whole genre

modern day fighters are a fucking mistake
MTX INFUSED CARROT ON A STICK SHEIT

let me pick a fighter...

90% of fighter roster greyed out.. please BUY DLC season 24 to unlock this character.
🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕
How is it any different than fighting games of the past? The only difference is now I’m not paying 40-50 dollars a year for an expansion. I’ll take 20 dollar “Seasons” over that

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm still trying to understand how OP wants to go back to a focus on martial arts but exclude Leroy and Lidia. Leroy uses Wing Chun and Lidia uses traditional karate.

I agree that novelty crossover characters are a distraction but I think Leroy and Lidia are good.

P.Jack

I feel like Tekken 8 has a lot of potential coming off the back of the more approachable T7. If they make non-kbdc movement better and juggles a bit more straightforward, I think it has the potential to really hit the mainstream. Whatever they do, it’ll be very interesting to see the reaction of all the new players brought in by T7. Some changes are given and the question is, will they transition when atleast half the rooster is gone and all the combos are different with new mechanics? We’ll see, but I’m optimistic about the playerbase continuing to expand.

I wouldn’t mind a T3-style timeskip either. Keep the movesets, change the characters.

But just bring back Team Battle already. It’s the great equalizer when playing with casuals.

SSfox

I just want play Tekken for fun... not casual but regular, with regular players. And offline content is poor
I agree with this, the game lacks a lot when it comes to offlines, i used to play a lot ghost mode, and it's not in T7 Da fuck!!!

I mean Treasure more was cool for an hour or 2 but those special stages with specific setting got boring fast, and i wish we could disable this, this plus 3 rounds setting would make it close to ghost mode.

I'm still trying to understand how OP wants to go back to a focus on martial arts but exclude Leroy and Lidia. Leroy uses Wing Chun and Lidia uses traditional karate.

I agree that novelty crossover characters are a distraction but I think Leroy and Lidia are good.
Cause you were drunk, read again.

Last edited:

Fahdis

- Tekken 5 Story Mode with Tekken 4 seriousness. Imagine a serious Tekken 4 Paul again.
- Customizations like Tekken 6 that aren't goofy and get rid of things you can throw.
- Diamorphism with characters showing different builds, heights and weights to raise complexity. I hate that everyone looks like Mr. Olympia and Lilly is as tall as Kuma. Give the strong girls a bit of definition like Vanessa from VF5.
- Get rid of Akuma bullshit in the story.
- DLC guest characters like Negan, Noctis are a complete waste that don't represent hand to hand fighting of Tekken. Heck expand on Yoshis hand to hand as well, get rid of the sword (even if it is tied to his soul, let Yoshimitsu absorb the sword and become evil). Get rid of Kuni projectiles.
- Get rid of the following: Ganryu, Anna, Armor King, Fahkumram, Chloe, Jack, Kuma, Panda, FUCKING BOB, Josie, Katarina, Gigas, Kasumi, Claudio, Alisa, Eliza. Tekken 7 had the worst newcomers ever. Leroy and Lars are also on my chopping block.
- Devil Jin should not be taking up an extra slot, fucking hell, just use him as an alternate for Jin's icon.
- Fix the fucking janky forward and backward walks.
- Fix the throw animations and give them more dynamic angles to see the damage and brutality (we get top down views of most throws).
- New Costumes again with a way to unlock legacy costumes.
- Make the game more technical oriented instead of fucking 10 minute jugglefest into a wall.

Last edited:
Top Bottom