• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken x Street Fighter development status it is still pending

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Tekken creator Katsuhiro Harada and Tekken 7 director Kouhei Ikeda broke the news in the latest episode of Harada's Bar, revealing that the project was canned while Bandai Namco was roughly 30% into development (thanks, TheGamer). "We were working really hard on that, we really were," the developers said. "Wish we could show you the models and stuff."

Harada and Ikeda highlighted Chun-Li and Dhalsim as characters that looked great in the leap from 2D to 3D, and added most of the female characters "were really good." The disappointment in the developers' voices is palpable, with both repeatedly stating how much they'd love to show off the cast in 3D. "We wish we could show them to you eventually, but Street Fighter belongs to Capcom so we can't do it on our own."

Thanks mods for the title change

Lets Go Reaction GIF by Mason Ramsey

Last edited:
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo

That is long long time ago. Okay i will give you that lmao. But even that the super street fighter 2 turbo combo is still the same concept except the getting hit animation is different.

Why do you need fighting game have logic anyway when character shoot fire ball and floating kick??

WorldHero

That's unfortunate, but I guess it's due to Street Fighter X Tekken not performing as well as hoped. I really would've liked to see what Harada could've done.

Duke Nukem Forever still holds the record. 15 years in development.
idk. I heard about ProWrestingX for the first time in the early 2000's. And its been in Steam early access for going on 6 years. its gotta be like 17 years now and they haven't been able to release a finished product

edit: I googled and found a Destructoid article from 2012...that said the game was already 10 years in development. So its on year 19 rn.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Did any of you read the article? It wasn't cancelled after 11 years, the 11 years is when we the public found out, Harada states the game was canned around the time before Tekken 7 and Street Fighter V came out, which was 2015 & 2016.

Knightime_X

That is long long time ago. Okay i will give you that lmao. But even that the super street fighter 2 turbo combo is still the same concept except the getting hit animation is different.

Why do you need fighting game have logic anyway when character shoot fire ball and floating kick??
Never said that. But fighting games that favor full offense over defense are usually short-lived and only played by a small group of fans.
Games like King of Fighters 14 are near perfect.
You have just as many ways to defend and escape as you do attacking.

You can tell when a fighting game is flawed when it boils down to fishing for pokes that lead to unstoppable 60%+ combos.
The latest power rangers game is one of the worst offenders. Not so much in floaty combos but combos you can't break out of and do excessively high levels of damage.

That to me says "lets just focus only on combos" and don't worry about having an actual strategy or tactics.
Just hit them once and keep going until they die.

*yawn*

Older games had you focus on well placed hits at multiple opportunities instead of heavily relying on a long combo that'll do the rest of the work for you.
Combos should be bonus damage and not core gameplay.
Esp if your game is NOT called Killer Instinct.

Last edited:

SCB3

idk. I heard about ProWrestingX for the first time in the early 2000's. And its been in Steam early access for going on 6 years. its gotta be like 17 years now and they haven't been able to release a finished product

edit: I googled and found a Destructoid article from 2012...that said the game was already 10 years in development. So its on year 19 rn.
PWX was created when WWF decided to leave Aki and go with Yukes for the Smackdown series, its been in dev for so long, the weird thing is, its not the worst playing Wrestling game either, just a weird slow dev

On that subject, TEW has been taking forever to get updates and now I see theres not one, but 2 new Wrestling management sims, its a great idea, like Football Manager for Wrestling seems like such a good idea

Rheon

I wanted to believe it was still in development, but my hope has been dwindling for years.

It's nice to finally have closure, I guess.

tenor.gif

ZywyPL

Banned
itsbeen84years.gif...

Holy cow, I remember the reveal trailer back in PS360 days, it was a very interesting concept, but I was wondering how on earth two fighting games with such different mechanics could work together, well turns out they can't. But 11 years, I thought it was already cancelled long time ago.

JeloSWE

itsbeen84years.gif...

Holy cow, I remember the reveal trailer back in PS360 days, it was a very interesting concept, but I was wondering how on earth two fighting games with such different mechanics could work together, well turns out they can't. But 11 years, I thought it was already cancelled long time ago.
Getting cancelled was probably due to SxT doing so poorly, but that was more on Capcom's failure to make it attractive.

They didn't work on it for 11 years, they stopped working on it a long time ago, probably when they started on T7.

Mechanics wise it works, Akuma and other 2D characters are in T7 and is likely how it would have worked.

Last edited:
Never said that. But fighting games that favor full offense over defense are usually short-lived and only played by a small group of fans.
Games like King of Fighters 14 are near perfect.
You have just as many ways to defend and escape as you do attacking.

You can tell when a fighting game is flawed when it boils down to fishing for pokes that lead to unstoppable 60%+ combos.
The latest power rangers game is one of the worst offenders. Not so much in floaty combos but combos you can't break out of and do excessively high levels of damage.

That to me says "lets just focus only on combos" and don't worry about having an actual strategy or tactics.
Just hit them once and keep going until they die.

*yawn*

Older games had you focus on well placed hits at multiple opportunities instead of heavily relying on a long combo that'll do the rest of the work for you.
Combos should be bonus damage and not core gameplay.
Esp if your game is NOT called Killer Instinct.

Hey, everything you said about tactics and strategy still apply to tekken or any fighting game.
There's no such thing as just focus on combo or just offense over defense. Higher level require a lots of thing other than offense or poke.
Akuma or 2d characters in tekken is broken character for sure though.

Btw fake news guys lol:
fVwF1dD.png

Last edited:
If the combos were gonna play out like they did in tekken 7 then i'm actually glad it's been cancelled.
I hated the long floaty air juggles.

This is straight up nonsense.

Agreed. Tekken always felt off to me as a fighter. Same with MK and infamous. Animations are wonky, and air juggles seem off as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of MvC and Street fighter, but Tekken always was off for me.

Hoppa

I was looking forward to it, but if anything else I think Tekken could really benefit from a redesign or something. I feel like the series has had no evolution (aesthetically) since Tekken 6 like over a decade ago

Hate to be the one who told you so, but I knew it was coming unfortunately. I would of liked to see it, but now they might as well put that effort, resources and time into Tekken 8 or something.

Rheon

I was looking forward to it, but if anything else I think Tekken could really benefit from a redesign or something. I feel like the series has had no evolution (aesthetically) since Tekken 6 like over a decade ago

Tekken 5* which came out in 2004.

The series is in dire need of a visual upgrade.

yewles1

Hey, everything you said about tactics and strategy still apply to tekken or any fighting game.
There's no such thing as just focus on combo or just offense over defense. Higher level require a lots of thing other than offense or poke.
Akuma or 2d characters in tekken is broken character for sure though.

Btw fake news guys lol:
fVwF1dD.png
Stop, he's been saying this for 9 years. He just doesn't want negativity to come his way.
sad stan marsh GIF by South Park

Knightime_X

Agreed. Tekken always felt off to me as a fighter. Same with MK and infamous. Animations are wonky, and air juggles seem off as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of MvC and Street fighter, but Tekken always was off for me.
The one thing that would make Tekken 7 perfect in my eyes is having an air recovery like in street fighter alpha 3 or in bloody roar games.
There has got to be more ways than to get touched and your only line of defense is to make a sandwich, do some taxes and come back to see if they're done with their attack marathon.

The one thing that would make Tekken 7 perfect in my eyes is having an air recovery like in street fighter alpha 3 or in bloody roar games.
There has got to be more ways than to get touched and your only line of defense is to make a sandwich, do some taxes and come back to see if they're done with their attack marathon.
Haha, that is very true though. Some form of interrupt or something would help. It's not fun to get a 60% health drain from a single combo.

Top Bottom