• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"TEKKEN7" had achieved Over 9 million sales (The highest record in the series). and Recorded Over 53 million copies sales for the series.

A.Romero

I've been wanting to play it for a long time but the DLC model is just hard to swallow. All DLC combined is about 150 USD on Steam. The definitive edition is 100 USD.

This success is proof that the market is OK with this.

yurinka

The fighting games genre is in better shape than ever:
  • Tekken 7 is the best selling in the series
  • MKX and 11 are the best selling in the series
  • Dragon Ball FighterZ is the best selling ARC System Works ever
  • Street Fighter V keeps slowly selling and is under 100K copies away from outselling Street Fighter II for SNES and becoming the best selling ever Capcom fighting game SKU ever and the 8th best selling Capcom game ever. It should be achieved in a quarter or two (but RE Village will pass it)
  • Guilty Gear Strive had the best launch in the series (still early for total sales)
  • If you count Smash Bros here, Smas Bros Ultimate is the best selling game in the series
  • Not only that, all these games had a GaaS approach with tons of DLCs, season passes or microtransaction so generated way more money than older entries in the series that didn't have DLC or a GaaS approach
  • League of Legends and Dungeon Fighter Online, the two top grossing PC games worldwide of the last decade, both with insanely huge userbases, will receive fighting games of these IPs soonish so pretty likely may bring millions of new players to the genre

I assume a big portion of all this success is a mixture of the rise of eSports, online multiplayer, platforms like Twitch or YouTube and specially the GaaS approach to keep the games fresh with new content, features and improvements or fixes for years.

I wonder what other fighting games grossed. Nonetheless an amazing feat!!!

Tekken 3 on PS1 did about nine million. If you want to add arcades to that picture, SF2 has probably generated more revenue than this game (or probably any modern fighting game tbh).

I know VF2 was very popular in Asia so it probably generated a lot of money in it's day, I don't think it'd be higher than SF2's tho it's kind of impossible (since SF2 was a global phenomenon and VF2 popularity was relegated to Japan and parts of Asia).

SSfox

Overall awesome Tekken game, specially gameplay wise.

It has its cons, Guest characters i'm not big fan of, weak story, Customization could've been much better, some Tekken 2 songs missing... But Gameplay awesome, visual and characters design/ redesign are very top notch specially for some characters, some newcomers are neat like Leroy and Katarina, a lot of vartiety and very well designed stages, like the Rooftop and Lab ones.

Tekken 8 some of the things i want: Please make Law inspired from Tekken 4 design, body hair and face wise, Marshall deisgn wise in Tekken 4 was at its peak. And also change the voice too to make it closer to T3/T4 /T5, i think the new voice post T6 isn't as legendary as the T4/T5 voice
x5c4n3W.jpg
MV5BNTI3YTBjOWMtOTg2MS00ZmQ1LWFjN2YtMzMwMTdjYWQ1ODcwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEyNjU2OTQw._V1_.jpg

and other main thing i want for T8 is Nina need an overhaul gameplay wise.

Also bring back most T6 customization, those were some amazing, specially Law, Nina, Xiaoyu, Miguel, Steve to name just those i mean pretty much everyone

Every milimeter part of my body is more than ready next Tekken game.

SkylineRKR

Yeah TTT2 nearly killed the series. After that the series went fucking F2P. I will always love TTT1, but TTT2 was too much to manage for me.

Anyway Tekken 7 should've gotten an upgrade. They even released DLC for it last year. Especially for Xbox owners its hilariously sad that they have to stick with like 720p on Series X.

Dem load times need some SSD love too.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Thanks to EVO owned by Sony.
Not thanks to Sony or even EVO. Tekken 7 has a huge international online scene with multiple annual events aside from EVO. The success of this game is based mostly on the efforts of Bandai Namco creating their own events to promote it. Tekken World Tour has done way more for it than EVO.

WitchHunter

Banned
"TEKKEN7" had achieved Over 9 million sales (The highest record in the series). and Recorded Over 53 million copies sales for the series.

「鉄拳7」実販売数がシリーズ過去最高となる900万本を突破しました(シリーズ累計は5300万本超)、皆様に感謝いたします. #TEKKEN #TEKKEN7 #鉄拳

Oh jesus,9 million... people are bonkers. FIFA effect.

Karmic Raze

Tekken 8 or Tekken Tag Tournament 3 NEEDS to come out soon. I am not playing Tekken 7 anymore. It’s like beating a dead horse at this point. Give us something new already. Jeez!

Celcius

°Temp. member
Will they ever do like street fighter and release a new edition that has all the dlc included? I only have the base game (bought at launch) and buying all the dlc separately seems expensive

Dream-Knife

Banned
I think they were giving codes away at one point. Some GAFer gave me a steam code for it.

Tekken 8 or Tekken Tag Tournament 3 NEEDS to come out soon. I am not playing Tekken 7 anymore. It’s like beating a dead horse at this point. Give us something new already. Jeez!

Just curious, but what difference would that make?

Last edited:

Karmic Raze

I think they were giving codes away at one point. Some GAFer gave me a steam code for it.

Just curious, but what difference would that make?

Well, for one thing, I’d like a next gen version of Tekken. I’m sure I’m not the only one with that sentiment either.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
What is a next gen tekken? Isn't it just two dudes hitting and kicking each other?

Tekken 7 and Soulcalibur 6 look fine IMO.
They need to update Tekken 7. When it released on PS4 and Xbox One it ran at 720p. When PS4 Pro released they released an update to bump it to 1080p for that system. They didn't update it for One X. It would be great if they released an update that did at least 1440p/60 on the new consoles.

Top Bottom