• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tell us all about your supermarket value card.

How bullshit are value cards?

• Utter BS, I don't partake.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Harmless BS, I partake.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • What are these cards?

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I make use of mine. It's a welcome service.

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • I have deliberate savings plans and goals that I use multiple cards to achieve.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tschumi

There are of course very many value cards where i live, the one I've used most often recently was for "Frante", the card being a "Grazie" card.

images

As far as i could tell, if i spent like $100 in a week they'd give me $3 off a purchase. Fucking a.

I remember my parents getting cool stuff like q Bambi VHS from Maxi BG in Brussels in the 90s, no such cool-ass loot with my Grazie card.

Tell us about your value cards <3

Supermarket value cards are the devil. I'll gladly pay more if it means not being turned into consumer habit data.

I give my points to the ones after me. The older dames are especially happy about it, so they can buy even more superfluous kitchen apparel and cutting knives.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Monoprix - 10€ per month for the subscription, 10% off any order, free delivery, etc. Basically your groceries in SaaS mode.

I would say much bigger change is the fact of being able to order online. I don't remember last time I went shopping in person. When I was younger it would take my parents and me each weekend 3 hours to drive, shop, drive back.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just about every rewards card (credit card or store loyalty card) will have a payout of about 1% (at least here in Canada). Sometimes more. My credit card is a dividend card that averages to about 1.5% based on what I buy.

But at the end of the day, is it worth signing up and using store cards for 1%+? Up to you. If you are really value conscious, 'd say skip a store credit card that is probably 1%, and do a dividend credit card that pays you cash back of 1% and combine it with a store card for 1% worth of points. A dividend card will pay you more cash back.

For me, I dont bother with a store card. I already buy stuff on deal from any retailer. So if I do a store cards it'd be a hassle and not worth my time. Some stores dont even have loyalty cards.

Last edited:

nush

I used to like my Tesco one, every quarter they would mail me discount vouchers for things that I brought all the time and some were just straight cash value. What I don't like is having to carry multiple cards for different retailers or more recently sighing up for an app for the same function as a card, so I don't do that at all.

Do you mean things like a Vons membership? because those are pretty damn huge when it comes to discounts. It will knock off like $2 on my $4 pack of La Croix or $1.50 on my $3.00 cheese or something like that

every supermarket I've been to offer their memberships for free

is this different in Europe or something?

Tschumi

Just remembered, my wife has a "d-point" card that gets points from her family's internet plan and we never have to pay for MacDonald's lol

nush

Do you mean things like a Vons membership? because those are pretty damn huge when it comes to discounts. It will knock off like $2 on my $4 pack of La Croix or $1.50 on my $3.00 cheese or something like that

every supermarket I've been to offer their memberships for free

is this different in Europe or something?

That's the same thing.

golfham

Monoprix - 10€ per month for the subscription, 10% off any order, free delivery, etc. Basically your groceries in SaaS mode.

I would say much bigger change is the fact of being able to order online. I don't remember last time I went shopping in person. When I was younger it would take my parents and me each weekend 3 hours to drive, shop, drive back.
Loved that place when I lived in France.

JBat

These things are part of the reason I go out of my way to shop at Publix. Publix still has sales on items I usual buy but with asking for a member card or phone number. Fuck these things. I probably feel stronger about this than is necessary but fuck them none the less lol

Mistake

I once got a macy’s card for the hell of it because it took two seconds. I had a girlfriend, so I thought whatever. Fast forward 10 years later, I’m trying to order a physical copy of my credit information online and I get asked “which date did you open a macy’s card?”

My application was denied

Quasicat

I used to do my shopping at Walmart and Kroger each week depending on what was cheaper to buy. Then, a few years ago, I bought something that was part of a recall making people sick and even killing them. Kroger sent me a message and then the manager called me to let me know that I had bought something that could harm our family. They even reimbursed the cost of the item onto my account.

To me that’s worth it if Kroger makes a few bucks on the side telling some advertising company that I buy bananas, milk, and a bunch of yogurt each week.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I use my Tesco Clubcard whenever I go to Tesco. Not only do I build up points for vouchers, but they also have discounts on lots of products just for Clubcard holders.

zeorhymer

Safeway rewards is suprisingly good. I'd also get the Lucky's one, but their prices are already low. I think the reward cards are just used to move stuff by giving the illusion of a savings instead of actually saving you money. If you watch the prices, you see that it does go up and down.

Fbh

I only go to the supermarket once every 2 months or so to buy specific stuff I can't fin in other places.
So it's not really worth it.

nush

Sometimes I've seen cashiers swiping their own card when a customer does not have a loyalty card to rack up all those sweet points and discounts. I do wonder if they ever get busted for that, as racking up multiple sales a day for weeks on a register that that staff member is logged in on would be a pretty easy bust.

NahaNago

Sometimes I've seen cashiers swiping their own card when a customer does not have a loyalty card to rack up all those sweet points and discounts. I do wonder if they ever get busted for that, as racking up multiple sales a day for weeks on a register that that staff member is logged in on would be a pretty easy bust.
I've never seen it happen at the store I used to work for. Cashiers used to take the coupons that printed out that customers didn't want and keep them for later use as well. It was mostly just the stealing actually product or money that got folks fired. Which happened a lot even though they knew others who got fired for stealing.

Top Bottom