• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tencent acquires Tequila Works

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Tequila Works today welcomed Tencent as the majority shareholder of the game development studio.

Madrid-headquartered Tequila Works, founded in 2009, is known for titles including RiME, Deadlight, GYLT, The Sexy Brutale, The Invisible Hours and the forthcoming Song of Nunu a League of Legends Story said Tencent’s investment will provide it with the means to take its games to the next level.

“For 12 years, the teams at Tequila Works have passionately crafted high-quality titles that radiated our personal sensibilities”, said Tequila Works CEO Raúl Rubio. “But there’s a limit to how much you can grow by yourself”.

Luz Sancho, Tequila Works Chairwoman said: “We are delighted to ally with a partner that allows us to make Tequila Works a stronger studio with access to all the resources required to produce titles of the highest quality, all made with the care and passion our beloved fans know us for as well as the opportunity of bringing these projects to a wider audience.”

Pete Smith, VP Partnerships for Tencent Games Global commented: “Tequila Works’ creativity and attention to detail has resulted in titles that have delighted audiences around the world. We look forward to working alongside the team and building on these foundations to deliver on its exciting ambitions for future games.”

Tequila Works CEO Raúl Rubio said it’s rare to find a partner like Tencent.

“They’re a partner that can appreciate the value of top creative talent with originality as their banner. One that respects our independence and creative freedom. This partnership will allow us to focus on taking the original IPs we are known for to greater heights and create the best experiences we can dream of,” Rubio said.

China Gaming console incoming in the future.

images

Does it come in red?

Sega Orphan

Banned
Ten mother fuckin cent.
Seriously, all MS has to do to get the ABK deal through is to day if MS didn't buy them Tencent would have, and the US doesn't want the Chinese taking over Tech.
The difference between MS and Sony vs Tencent in acquisitions is that Tencent throw money at anyone and everyone. The formers are more strategic.

Corndog

Banned
Ten mother fuckin cent.
Seriously, all MS has to do to get the ABK deal through is to day if MS didn't buy them Tencent would have, and the US doesn't want the Chinese taking over Tech.
The difference between MS and Sony vs Tencent in acquisitions is that Tencent throw money at anyone and everyone. The formers are more strategic.
I doubt it. Burocrats can be idiots.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I, for one, welcome our Chinese overlords. I’d also like to remind them that, as an esteemed NeoGAF shit poster, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their worker "not a concentration camp" camps.

Ten mother fuckin cent.

Yeah, no. Tencent would not have paid anywhere close to that amount.

Sega Orphan

Banned
Tencent has actually made some smart investments.
They paid a bit over 400 million for Riot Games, and now Rocket Leauge has revenue of 1.4 billion per year.
They bought a 40% stake in Epic games, and now Fortnite alone makes 2.4 billion a year.

K2D

Banned
Capitalism is not a system of government. Capitalism isn't what's putting people in camps in China but I digress.
China is the very definition of capitalism nowadays. 🤨
Capitalism can be good or bad. We owe our way of living to capitalism, even before the west started flagging out industry to cheaper countries.

It's a disservice to our understanding of what capitalism is and the the way we talk about these things.

Globalism and 'unchecked, unregulated capitalism' are the real boogeymen..

CosmicComet

In boxing terms.

MS Aquisitions: massive hooks and uppercuts with a lot of setup time. (FTC clearance)

Tencent: bunch of short arm punches light in power but heavy in volume so it deceptively adds up over time. (Self explanatory with all their little purchases and stakes in various companies)

Sony: Crisp, visually good looking jabs that overextend and still dont land on their opponent and thus dont do damage. (Overpaying for Bungie and not even getting a single exclusive out of it, whether now or even with future titles).

Daytonabot

Banned
Hate to break this to you, but if you want to do business in China you need the blessing of the CCP.

Its not a choice.
Which is why all these companies dropping ties with Russia but not China are just virtue signalling. They're unwilling to do the hard but right thing.

MiguelItUp

Rime was brilliant. One of the very best games of last gen.
RiME is probably the most underrated game of the last 10 years, so this is a good purchase I guess?
As someone that helped work on RiME, it makes me so happy to see people still say wonderful things about it. I know it wasn't perfect, but it was by far my favorite project that I worked on while at Sixfoot. A lot of us adored it.

As much as I have a hard time rooting for anything Tencent does, I'm happy for Tequila Works if they're happy. They're great people.

Last edited:
Top Bottom