• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tencent Acquires Turtle Rock Studios (Back 4 Blood)

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think it's time to stop blaming Tencent and put your attention towards the greedy Turtle Rock leadership and the rest of the sell outs if you care about those type of things.
They've long since exposed the weaknesses of our treatment of corporations. If you think about it for 10 seconds you realize that a large portion of what we've been told is a lie.
  • Don't tax corporations too heavily because they'll all leave the US. Meanwhile, just to get access to the Chinese consumer market - corporations allow China to take their IP and tech, develop domestic corporations with the stolen tech and then take over their product eventually just for the access to short term profits that are also heavily taxed and split with their own domestic companies far in excess of what we do here.
  • Corporations have no allegiance to the US in our system. They're all transnational entities that would be completely fine watching the country burn to make a dollar. In China, they are forced to work towards the interests of their nation.
  • Really shows you that any major government could tell corporations to do literally anything they want, but we are all sold the lies because corporations already bought the US government and hand down the talking points and the policies they want. There's very little government left that's genuinely working for the benefit of the US over corporate interests.

Last edited:
another one
maxresdefault.jpg

bitbydeath

Too much to type. Think about the repercussions of the Chinese communist party owning a huge portion of the world's interactive entertainment.

They don't like to be criticized. They only want their truth imposed on the world. The long term chilling effect from them infecting global entertainment can't be understated imo.
This is true but in the other corner we have western woke brainwashing being forced down our throats too, so it’s kind of just a big shit sandwich no matter who’s involved right now.

China's just buying us up piece by piece, and we're taking that money with goofy smiles on our faces because.

China's pretty much already 1984, who's naive enough to believe they won't try that here when they're majority shareholders in many of the largest companies in entertainment mediums? Christ man, people just don't care about the future for our kids at all. Its already happening, it's not some dark dystopic future, it's happening right now. Jesus........

I need a coffee and a whiskey.

It's our culture. We're enslaved by money. It's the only principle we religiously follow...... $$$$ is our God

GhostOfTsu

Banned
If Tencent is the CCP why is the government making all these dumb laws against gaming in China? Tencent is losing billions there. Makes no sense to me 🤔

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If Tencent is the CCP why is the government making all these dumb laws against gaming in China? Tencent is losing billions there. Makes no sense to me 🤔
Tencent is not the CCP. Tencent have other interests and would be fine being a transnational company. But China tightly controls it and exerts it's influence. Some companies have billionaire CEOs that have tried to resist CCP control and they got disappeared for a while, then reappear with the approved views.

Most of these people are also not allowed to take their fortunes out of China and can only take a certain amount out per year, so they're basically stuck there. Part of the reason they buy so much property globally.

Last edited:

Ezekiel_

Banned
Pure hypothetical here, but what would prevent the employees and managers of Turtle Rock Studios to abandon ship right after selling the company, create a new studio with a different name and without their IPs, and start making new games?

There must be something that prevents this loophole, right?

Last edited:

EDMIX

smh

One of the few times you want MS to legit fucking buy a team instead lol

Ezekiel_ Ezekiel_ usually a clause stops this from happening for certain members, as in they'll lock them into some contract for 5 years or so and then after will renegotiate

Last edited:

Rockman33

There really needs to be more awareness of the fact Chinese companies continue to buy HUGE investments in the gaming market. Not good

Reactions: Isa

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Pure hypothetical here, but what would prevent the employees and managers of Turtle Rock Studios to abandon ship right after selling the company, create a new studio with a different name and without their IPs, and start making new games?

There must be something that prevents this loophole, right?
I don't know. But they probably just put it in the contract. You can sign to work on for a certain number of years, then sometimes commit to years of consultancy after that, and then sometimes even commit to non-compete clauses for years after that (meaning you literally just sit unemployed if you leave and don't work at a competitor within the same industry).

PhaseJump

Banned
Tencent, embracer.
Now add Google and Amazon who has more money than Nintendo and Sony.

At least MS would be hit by anti trust, if they buy more big studios, but these guys down there won't get hit by that.

Imagine what these guys can do with their unlimited money.

Why would MS be subject to antitrust? I've seen this point being made a lot. It seems like baseless FUD hinged on oldschool Microsoft bashing.

EDMIX

Why would MS be subject to antitrust? I've seen this point being made a lot. It seems like baseless FUD hinged on oldschool Microsoft bashing.

Well....yes and no. What King is saying is sound as MS has been hit with that before, I'd simply disagree on specifically Turtle Rock being the one that would even cause that if MS bought them. Unlikely.

If nothing happened with Zenimax regarding that, I don't think Turtle Rock would be the one that got anyone to really make that claim against them. So I don't see it as baseless fud as that isn't true, simply unlikely with the context of this situation. Kingfey is also just not the one to just do "Microsoft bashing" as I don't recall him ever really making post like that just to bash or something.

So what King is saying is sound, simply maybe not against if they bought Turtle Rock

elliot5

Tbh thought WB owned them. Would’ve preferred MS buy them given they seemed to be in good partnership after the B4B success on GP. Guess the Tencent money was too good to pass up.

PhaseJump

Banned
Well....yes and no. What King is saying is sound as MS has been hit with that before, I'd simply disagree on specifically Turtle Rock being the one that would even cause that if MS bought them. Unlikely.

If nothing happened with Zenimax regarding that, I don't think Turtle Rock would be the one that got anyone to really make that claim against them. So I don't see it as baseless fud as that isn't true, simply unlikely with the context of this situation. Kingfey is also just not the one to just do "Microsoft bashing" as I don't recall him ever really making post like that just to bash or something.

So what King is saying is sound, simply maybe not against if they bought Turtle Rock

I'm not saying he is bashing them. I'm saying I see the argument that MS acquisitions will line up a case of antitrust. The bashing angle I figure that is floating this argument comes from Microsoft's overall size and OS dominance, how it has spun up this bias in people to assume they just own everything already.

I don't see it being anywhere near that big though. The gaming industry is still massive outside of Xbox. I see no basis for antitrust implications whether they scoop up more big publishers or studios, or not.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
They own Xbox. Any more big studios, and that is monopoly.
MS has a history with lawmakers. They don't want to mess with them. Or else, they would have bought EA, with bethesda.

PhaseJump

Banned
They own Xbox. Any more big studios, and that is monopoly.
MS has a history with lawmakers. They don't want to mess with them. Or else, they would have bought EA, with bethesda.

This is absolutely foolish.

Xbox is nowhere near being a monopoly yet. Microsoft's history with lawmakers is irrelevant, since they're in a different market with plenty of competitors. They could still buy EA too, if it's in the best interests of shareholders for both parties.

Your point is buried in the narrative bias around Microsoft's history of being anti-competitive, while owning the market for operating systems.

MikeM

I’m blown away that western countries still allow China to buy up western companies in general.

kingfey

Banned

My point was about what Tencent and embracer were doing. MS simply can't buy alot of studios like these guys are doing. They have xbox, and are in the gaming Markey. If they buy more studios, they will be heading toward monopoly. Even zenimax deal was a dangerous one.
Because they have gain advantage, than it's competitors.

ElCasual

The good thing about this is that the next gen will be my last console. So I gonna skipp all that chinese bullcrap.

wipeout364

Do people not like Back 4 Blood? I thought it was pretty fun for a co-op shooter. Had some cool ideas with the deck building as well. Evolve was seriously flawed but I thought this was a solid game, not exceptional but solid.

kingfey

Banned
This is absolutely foolish.

Xbox is nowhere near being a monopoly yet. Microsoft's history with lawmakers is irrelevant, since they're in a different market with plenty of competitors. They could still buy EA too, if it's in the best interests of shareholders for both parties.

Your point is buried in the narrative bias around Microsoft's history of being anti-competitive, while owning the market for operating systems.
Let me guess, a company which has a console in the gaming market, have the money to buy publishers like ubisoft and ea isn't close to monopoly?

These 2 studios will give MS a massive advantage from Sony.

They will have tons of studios, releasing AAA games every month for them.

That is a clear monopoly in the law.

PhaseJump

Banned
Let me guess, a company which has a console in the gaming market, have the money to buy publishers like ubisoft and ea isn't close to monopoly?

These 2 studios will give MS a massive advantage from Sony.

They will have tons of studios, releasing AAA games every month for them.

That is a clear monopoly in the law.

This is silly.

Apple, Google Play, Playstation, Nintendo, Steam, Epic, Gog, etc. All provide gaming platforms that Xbox competes with, and most of them are more successful. So there's no monopoly. In the turn-key gaming appliance "console" segment, Xbox is 3rd place. Far from monopoly. They don't have a monopoly on game engine tech. Nobody is forced to buy choose Xbox or it's tech, over Playstation or Nintendo. They even publish their games on other platforms.

Microsoft has the money to compete, and even if they were to ramp up to 40+ Xbox studios, you could easily still point at all of the independent studios and publishers, or the competitors with their own first party studios that make up the rest of the industry, and it still wouldn't be a monopoly.

Long term implications….hidden control devices in the game code which can listen or take control of your computer when china decides to take over the world

kingfey

Banned
Xbox is 3rd place.
When are we gonna stop with this crap?

They literally bought zenimax for $7.5b. Like it was easy thing.

To put it perspective, Sony profit from their gaming division was $25b. That us almost 1/3rd of Sony profit, spent buying 1 publisher.

If Xbox buys Ubisoft/EA, it will make Xbox a must have platform for alot gamers. That is how much influence money can have in gaming.

These 2 publishers have insane library, studios, and work force.

That is how money operates. It bypasses alot of year worth of studios build, and establishing a reputable IPs.

MS gained elder scrolls, doom, fallout from their money. That is a very massive jump, compared to their last gen library.

poodaddy

Well, look at what Disney owns and look what ideas it's promoting. I'd say if you care about your kids, you should be more worried about Disney rather than CCP.
I hate both, but good point though. Most parents, (not myself), are for some reason completely alright with the incredible and blatant corruption of Disney, yet are vigilant about the CCP. This is hypocrisy, but most parents are definitely hypocrites, so there's no surprise there I guess.

Top Bottom