• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tencent Acquires Turtle Rock Studios (Back 4 Blood)

Duchess

They don't like to be criticized. They only want their truth imposed on the world. The long term chilling effect from them infecting global entertainment can't be understated imo.
As someone who only just read 1984 this year (I'm almost 45), I noticed how so much about "The Party" could be applied to modern day China.

PJX

My point was about what Tencent and embracer were doing. MS simply can't buy alot of studios like these guys are doing. They have xbox, and are in the gaming Markey. If they buy more studios, they will be heading toward monopoly. Even zenimax deal was a dangerous one.
Because they have gain advantage, than it's competitors.
My guy, WTF are you even talking about?

PSYGN

No wonder the turtles weren't visible here on the pond's log today. This is a sad day for all turtles.

Last edited:

jakinov

China's tentacles just keep slithering their way across the industry.

Them getting ahold of Epic was their jumpstart victory and the start of all this (and getting all that Fortnite Money)
Tencent owns a part of Epic. The percent doesn't matter much because Tim Sweney ultimately owns a controlling interest.

Secondly, there's probably no Fornite money, because Tencent is simply a part owner and because of Epic's recent actions of raising additional cash, they have likely not been paying dividends to their owners. Meaning Tencent has likely made $0 in cash from owning Epic Games. They have probably made gains in terms of their equity but they don't make any money until they sell their ownership.

Better than them being acquired by a manufacturer and having their future games denied to a whole segment of the market, imo. I take it that Tencent will not interfere with operations. If so, I see no problem with it at all.

Kadve

it was probably this or bankruptcy. doubt they are doing well after making 2 highly problematic GAAS games in 6 years + 1 cancelled one.

oldergamer

My point was about what Tencent and embracer were doing. MS simply can't buy alot of studios like these guys are doing. They have xbox, and are in the gaming Markey. If they buy more studios, they will be heading toward monopoly. Even zenimax deal was a dangerous one.
Because they have gain advantage, than it's competitors.
This is incorrect. There wasn't anything dangerous about the zenimax deal. Ms could buy other publishers and still not be monopoly.

Esppiral

What is the problem with developers being acquired by a Chinese company? Why is it worse than say being acquired by an American company like EA? By makes it worse being Chinese?

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
tumbleweed GIF

Woke left has no idea how to talk about China.
Well, they do actually..

2jaObPJ.jpg

Bkdk

Turtle rock is an incredibly shitty developer though, really not sure why tencent wants them, they are easily the worst among tencent's international portfolio. I bet riot can make a better left 4 dead since riot already proves they can succeed in multiple genres.

Top Bottom