• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tencent is NOT buying Ubisoft |Announcing a new €300 million investment—49.9% stake at company

Draugoth

Gold Member

Tencent is NOT buying Ubisoft. But it is investing heavily in the company, announcing a new €300 million (about the same in $$) investment—49.9% stake—in Guillemot Bros, the company run by Ubisoft's co-founders that has the largest stake in Ubisoft.

Last edited:
EA rumored to be bought by Amazon. Tencent basically "not" buying but almost buying Ubisoft...

I give it 1 year for all biggest publishers to be bought at this point.

edit: this is all confusing, I had to read it all somewhere else, lmao. I thought they had 49.9% of Ubisoft. Pretend you didn't read this post (even if what i said is probably true)

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Seems really cheap. Ubisoft may just be dead at this point, but had some decent ip.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Only 300 million for that?

Why is Bungie worth 4billion, but Ubi only 0,6? Seems out of wack.

Seems really cheap. Ubisoft may just be dead at this point, but had some decent ip.
They bought into GBros, the company that has the largest stake in Ubisoft not Ubisoft directly.
They do however also have a stake in Ubisoft.

If Tencent and GBros work together they will own a major portion of Ubisoft though.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Banned
Why is Bungie worth 4billion, but Ubi only 0,6? Seems out of wack. Edit, this is not about Ubi. Okay then. Thread title is misleading as fuck.

Bungie was an LLC so their public worth would have been far less than Ubisoft if they were in the same environment. Buying out private companies are always more expensive.

Guillemot Bros owns 12.78 percent of Ubisoft, so if Tencent bought half of that they own a little more than 6% of Ubisoft.

Since nobody reads:
They are investing in Guillemot bros ltd, which has 16% of shares in Ubisoft.
It is possible the Bloomberg numbers are dated, but per Bloomberg the Guillemot family in total owns 15%, and 12.78% of that is the Bros company.

yurinka

EA rumored to be bought by Amazon. Tencent basically "not" buying but almost buying Ubisoft...

I give it 1 year for all biggest publishers to be bought at this point.

edit: this is all confusing, I had to read it all somewhere else, lmao. I thought they had 49.9% of Ubisoft. Pretend you didn't read this post (even if what i said is probably true)
To make it easier to understand:

In addition to Ubisoft, the Guillemot brothers have or ruled several other companies that are not Ubisoft, as it was the case of Gameloft.

One of them is a company that the Guillemot brothers use to manage their stocks, like the ones in Ubisoft. Tencent bought almost half of this company, not almost half of Ubisoft.

The Ubisoft brothers own a small part of Ubisoft, I think it was somewhere between 15-21%.

Why is Bungie worth 4billion, but Ubi only 0,6? Seems out of wack. Edit, this is not about Ubi. Okay then. Thread title is misleading as fuck.
Ubisoft's current market cap is $6.35B. Recent big gaming company acquisitions have been paid with a premium of 40-60%. They should calculate the case for Ubisoft, but with all the huge IPs and huge amount of workers and studios they have it would be very big. But if we only take 50% premium, to buy it would cost $9.5B.

Bungie wasn't worth 4B. It was bought for $2.4B and on top of that Sony saved $1.3B for future retention bonuses and other acquisition related costs, totalling a cost of $3.7B for Sony.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Guillemot Bros owns 12.78 percent of Ubisoft, so if Tencent bought half of that they own a little more than 6% of Ubisoft.

It is possible the Bloomberg numbers are dated, but per Bloomberg the Guillemot family in total owns 15%, and 12.78% of that is the Bros company.

Keep in mind that Tencent already had a 5% stake prior to this. So they would be up to ~11% with this purchase, and up to ~20% if they buy the full 15% that the Guillemot family owns/owned.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Only 300 million for that?
It's 300 million for 49.9% of the company that owns the largest stake on Ubisoft.

We'd need to know how big the largest stake is. If the largest stake on Ubisoft is 15% big, then those 300 million bought the equivalent of 7.49% of Ubisoft, but without full control over those 15% votes (therefore without full control of the 7.49% they "own").

Last edited:
Keep in mind that Tencent already had a 5% stake prior to this. So they would be up to ~11% with this purchase, and up to ~20% if they buy the full 15% that the Guillemot family owns/owned.
Interesting, I see a news article from 2018 saying they own 5% but they aren't anywhere in the Bloomberg holders screen, so I don't know what is up with that. Not an Ubisoft expert here. just sharing what I see.

00_Zer0

I try to avoid most Ubisoft games nowadays. I only buy physical versions of some of their console games today, because of their anti-consumer practices. They abruptly take a games online functionality away or remove the digital version altogether as if a customer never owned the game in the first place. Let them be bought out maybe the next owner will knock some sense into them and change their shady practices.

Topher

Gold Member
Edit.....wait. This is an investment in Guillemot Bros, not Ubisoft.

That is one strangely worded tweet.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Thread not even one page long, with multiple elaborations posted, yet still nobody's reading.

BowedBeneficialFinwhale-size_restricted.gif

Daytonabot

Banned
If I hadn't already stopped buying Ubisoft games, this would have pushed me closer, even if it is a relatively small percentage through a middle man.

Orbital2060

Would the French government allow Tencent to buy a French company like that? Maybe they tried or wanted to, but realised it wouldnt be possible.

kevm3

It's really weird how the west is supposedly terrified of communism but is letting the biggest communist country dip their hands in all kinds of businesses and directly making them rich by moving so much manufacturing over there.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It's really weird how the west is supposedly terrified of communism but is letting the biggest communist country dip their hands in all kinds of businesses and directly making them rich by moving so much manufacturing over there.
The west might hate communism, but they fucking love capitalism.

Top Bottom