• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tencent Lightspeed LA Studio is Working On a Cinematic AAA Open World Project

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to a few of its recent job listings, Lightspeed LA may be working on a premium open-world action game with cinematic gameplay. The studio is led by Steve Martin, who previously worked on GTA 5 and Red Dead Redemption 2, and had been founded by Tencent back in 2020, with the earliest announcements including hints that its first project would, indeed, be an AAA open-world production.

Specifically, Lightspeed LA is now looking to fill the full-time positions of Senior Environment Artist and Senior Character Concept Artist. According to the listings, the studio is working on an entirely new, never-before-seen intellectual property that will, to some extent, rely on vehicles. None of this is particularly noteworthy on its own, though it does paint the rough outline of the type of open-world players ought to expect, and the potential for Lightspeed to take open-world games to the next step.

Across the two listings, there are references to vehicles, prop-work, and environmental design. Lightspeed is looking for long-time industry professionals that will help shape its new IP into existence, which may suggest that the project is in the very early stages of pre-production or production at this time. This piece of information fits the publisher's desire to enlist established talent, as shown by Tencent's recent acquisition of Turtle Rock Studios.

As of right now, there's virtually no information available on what the studio's first project might be, though the fact remains that it is bound to be an AAA open-world game set in an entirely new universe. Historically, Tencent has been very hands-off with how it approaches its game industry investments.

.Pennywise

Banned
Cinematic, AAA, open world

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by NBC

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Cool, happy to have new people making games.

I wonder if they'll do their own thing or just try to copy whatever AAA western devs are doing. "Cinematic openworld" doesn't give me any good vibes...

BlackM1st

Banned
If there's no woke bullshit, go for it.

Tencent is anti-woke:

Former IGN journalist Alana Pierce, during an interview with The Serfs, shared her experience in the entertainment industry, in which she criticized the Chinese company Tencent, which is an investor in such well-known titles as League of Legends, Path of Exile, Black Desert, as well as Epic Games and even Ubisoft. Alana said she had a friend who suggested Tencent make the film, but the company agreed to do so on the condition that there were “no blacks” and “big boobs”. Alana added that Tencent demanded the same when developing games, for example, they say to increase the chest of the heroine or make someone’s skin lighter.

Pierce declined to name the specific titles of these movies and games as she doesn’t want litigation, but said Tencent is more to be feared than Microsoft because they are buying up more and more of the gaming industry and putting such “weird” conditions on developers in the process

So uh... Expect some big b00bs

Myths

What kind of description do you want for a game that's early in development? Cinematic = story, AAA = budget and open world = scope/genre
Maybe none at all since it doesn’t tell us anything? (With the obvious exception of it being a job listing/description).

People are more interested in seeing what’s being pitched rather than being told especially with development cycles and production time increasing.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

We will see it in 10 years.
I went to Playstation Experience in Anaheim like 4 years ago and saw some really cool looking Chinese titles for PS4…I wanna say it was a part of some initiative but I honestly am not sure if they ever released?

jakinov

Maybe none at all since it doesn’t tell us anything? (With the obvious exception of it being a job listing/description).

People are more interested in seeing what’s being pitched rather than being told especially with development cycles and production time increasing.
But as you said it's a job listing. Most of the time you see this it's from job listings or articles that use job listings as a source. It can be interesting depending on the context. Like Respawn Entertainment or PlayGround games who were knownn to make a certain type of game before having that description shows they doing something new.

Top Bottom