• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teraburst; Konami predicted our current UFO problem years ago...and other "topical" games

VGEsoterica

OK OK I know...this is just for fun but how can you not talk about rare alien based video games when there are UFOs floating around in the sky all over the world actively being shot down by fighter jets. Especially when the game has balloon shaped objects you get to take down over a major US city lolol. It's too perfect

But in all seriousness...it's fun to take older video games and realize just how topical they can be. Watching The Last of Us on HBO and you realize "man this is just Covid 19 had it been worse and involved fungus"...and then you remember The Last of Us was well before our current pandemic.

And if I can mix that with a rare and obscure game that is slowly getting lost to time...why not!

But GAF...what games have become "topical"...and what do you think we are shooting down? ALF? E.T? Did the Budweiser blimp have babies?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
As an ESL I'm not sure what you mean by topical, but Deus Ex really predicted many things.

Area 51 Aliens GIF by Sky HISTORY UK

Kojima has this tendency to make super topical games. MGS2 just got more and more prescient, though I do think that the infamous ai meme information section was actually written by someone else.

That being said, if the UFO is being shot down by conventional weaponry as easily as they seem to be right now, I highly doubt they are extraterrestrial craft. ngl, I find it absolutely 100% eerie that the governments of the world are deciding that now is the time to disclose all of this, given that they have been collectively covering up this information for decades.

If the people who have been lying to me for years are now saying "oh my god it may be the ayyylmaos" I find it hard to think of it as anything other than a lie, or an absolutely malevolently crafted half truth.

Doom85

I’d say the Resident Evil 3 Remake was more impressive in its timing in that it came out like two months after COVID really hit in 2020, and the opening live action scene has a reporter advising people to distance themselves from one another for their safety. And yes, this would have been recorded before the pandemic, so eerie timing.

Last edited:

RaduN

Kojima has this tendency to make super topical games. MGS2 just got more and more prescient, though I do think that the infamous ai meme information section was actually written by someone else.

That being said, if the UFO is being shot down by conventional weaponry as easily as they seem to be right now, I highly doubt they are extraterrestrial craft. ngl, I find it absolutely 100% eerie that the governments of the world are deciding that now is the time to disclose all of this, given that they have been collectively covering up this information for decades.

If the people who have been lying to me for years are now saying "oh my god it may be the ayyylmaos" I find it hard to think of it as anything other than a lie, or an absolutely malevolently crafted half truth.
Yeah, it was i think an article from the 80s, but Kojima integrated it in this internet ruled environment, that turned out to be downright prophetical.

Oh, it was from an article? I always though it was just another writer on Kojimas team. Either way, I wouldn't have run into it without Kojima doing what he did and I reckon it has absolutely shaped my worldview and direction in life.

Shifty1897

Oh, it was from an article? I always though it was just another writer on Kojimas team. Either way, I wouldn't have run into it without Kojima doing what he did and I reckon it has absolutely shaped my worldview and direction in life.
Richard Dawkins wrote about memes in his 1976 book The Selfish Gene. Kojima referenced this definition of the word meme before the word was repurposed to describe the kind of memes we now know on the internet. Still though, Kojima basically predicted all of post information age with MGS 2, which is mind boggling.

Dev1lXYZ

Yeah, it was i think an article from the 80s, but Kojima integrated it in this internet ruled environment, that turned out to be downright prophetical.
Kojima was a fan of The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster. He even named a character after Peter Stillman, a character in the books.

What you learn in MGS2, Peter Stillman is dead, but there is a guy claiming to be him helping your difuse bombs on Big Shell.

AREYOUOKAY?

Topical = relevant. Meaningful to todays current events basically. So you got it right :)

On the same vein of Konami games, Hideo Kojima had a knack for storylines that were not only relevant when they were released, but even prescient.

Multiple posters brought up MGS2, with its themes of memes, the Internet, and control over information and memories in the digital age.

My favorite though is Snatcher. In that game, as part of the backstory, a virus wipes out a significant portion of Earth's population (a pandemic, if you will). The major theme throughout the game is people being unable to trust each other due to suspicion (people being killed and having their identities assumed by bioroids/Snatchers). It reminds me of the distrust a lot of people have for each other today...

Kojima did admittedly take inspiration from Blade Runner/Terminator wholesale, just like he usually "homages" certain films and books as source material for his games (also see Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid). But he combines the ideas in a way that makes them seem fresh and interesting, and at the same time makes observations that are both topical and prophetic.

Buggy Loop

Someone saw something they couldnt identify.
Conclusion: Must be an alien spaceship capable of travel faster than speed of light.

Yea i don't get this wave of excitement on anything UFO conspiracy shit because of these events... THEY'RE BALLOONS. They can have many shapes, will ride the wind at different layers, etc. Pentagon had an exact same project. The US government has been using recon balloons since at least the 1800s.
https://www.defensenews.com/digital...he-option-of-fielding-high-altitude-balloons/
https://www.thedefensepost.com/2022/07/06/us-military-balloons/

“It’s just phenomenal what we’re able to do with high-altitude balloons,” Lt. Gen. Daniel Karbler told Defense News in an interview ahead of the Association of the U.S. Army’s annual conference, which took place virtually Oct. 13-16.“I don’t have the cost analysis but, in my mind, pennies on the dollar with respect to doing it. If I had to do it via a [low-Earth orbit] or some satellite constellation, what we are able to provide with high-altitude balloons, it’s tactically responsive support to the war fighter,” he added.“[The balloons would] be able to provide some beyond-line-of-sight capability, whether it’s communications, extended distances, to be able to provide the ability to enable sensing of targets deep in the adversary’s areas, to be able to reinforce and complement existing sensing systems other than the aerial layer as well as the space layer,” Fraser added.

ancient aliens face GIF

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

On the same vein of Konami games, Hideo Kojima had a knack for storylines that were not only relevant when they were released, but even prescient.

Multiple posters brought up MGS2, with its themes of memes, the Internet, and control over information and memories in the digital age.

My favorite though is Snatcher. In that game, as part of the backstory, a virus wipes out a significant portion of Earth's population (a pandemic, if you will). The major theme throughout the game is people being unable to trust each other due to suspicion (people being killed and having their identities assumed by bioroids/Snatchers). It reminds me of the distrust a lot of people have for each other today...

Kojima did admittedly take inspiration from Blade Runner/Terminator wholesale, just like he usually "homages" certain films and books as source material for his games (also see Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid). But he combines the ideas in a way that makes them seem fresh and interesting, and at the same time makes observations that are both topical and prophetic.
Death Stranding accurately predicted what getting packages would be like during the pandemic lolol

Yea i don't get this wave of excitement on anything UFO conspiracy shit because of these events... THEY'RE BALLOONS. They can have many shapes, will ride the wind at different layers, etc. Pentagon had an exact same project. The US government has been using recon balloons since at least the 1800s.
https://www.defensenews.com/digital...he-option-of-fielding-high-altitude-balloons/
https://www.thedefensepost.com/2022/07/06/us-military-balloons/

ancient aliens face GIF
One possible explanation for this is that the USA, China and Russia are all destroying all spy infrastructure over their own airspace and are just being hush hush about it in order to avoid disclosing that they have spy infrastructure over other countries. Its sort of like someone pulled the mutually assured destruction ripcord over spy balloons.

And they are just calling it ufos

Buggy Loop

One possible explanation for this is that the USA, China and Russia are all destroying all spy infrastructure over their own airspace and are just being hush hush about it in order to avoid disclosing that they have spy infrastructure over other countries. Its sort of like someone pulled the mutually assured destruction ripcord over spy balloons.

And they are just calling it ufos

Or they’re preparing to wipe out all of USA’s main intelligence pipeline, satellites.

https://www.businessinsider.com/rus...-orbit-space-debris-could-last-century-2023-2

Russia would not even hesitate to create the Kessler syndrome themselves. China-Russia might have estimated that any conflicts against USA is best without satellite intel, they might be making test runs for the inevitable..

Top Bottom