• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terminator Dark Fate bombs at the Box Office

Silent Duck

Disagree because Terminator is not woke.
Disagree because Terminator has always been woke

Gay Terminator: check
NQ9DdCS.jpg

Pronouns: check
gD2e57Y.jpg

Immigration: check
9sHFmZu.jpg

Yep. Seems woke to me.

Because this is the internet (plus one can’t be too sure anymore), this post was meant to be tongue in cheek.
Please, put away the torches.

sol_bad

Captain Marvel is an original female character hero. It’s also sandwiched between the two hypest movies in MCU franchise

Look, it’s not like men here are anti-female, we embrace Tomb Raider, Alien’s Ripley, Black Widow and all other female superheroes, but for fuck sake be original, create new female franchise (I love Salt, Atomic Blonde, etc) don’t just kill off John Connor and shit on the last 3 movies and replace him with Dani for feminism sake

This is what I notice with these studios, they want to push feminism agenda, but they’re also afraid to start new franchise so they re-use existing franchises and slap on female character replacing the existing main characters, John Connor, SW, 007

The director himself sells it as woke, the plot replaces the hero of the resistance for a minority girl with the exact same role. All the characters on the good side are women (and apparently a depressed sexless Arnold that feels bad about how evil he is) while all the evil people are men. How is that not a woke movie?

If the scene with John Conner was cut and he just wasn't mentioned at all. People would still whinge that this film is "woke". Why does it matter what nationality someone is?

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This makes me happy, as it was a movie with a clear woke agenda, even the director said, so good news everyone.

"The still yet to be disproven axiom “get woke, go broke” chalked up another win for itself this weekend with the underwhelming box office performance of the ultra-feminist “Terminator: Dark Fate.”

Despite the return of producer James Cameron and the reunion of Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzenegger, Forbes reports that the sci-fi action sequel pulled in a horrific $10.6 million on Friday and is now tracking for a lousy $27 million opening weekend on an inflated budget of $185 million (not including another $100 million in marketing costs). That makes it the lowest profiting “Terminator” in the franchise’s history.
"

Source
WOKE?

gtfo man. what the hell was WOKE in that movie srsly?
terminator 2 was all about that kickass woman,
so was aliens.

dear god everything is woke these days,
trigger clowns

#Phonepunk#

Banned
director intent is shit. Rian Johnson thought he was doing the right story for the characters or something.

all that matters is final product. the paranoid bleating of anti woke police who never saw the movie are irrelevant.

like LOL "ultra feminist" fucking Arnold still has to save the day at the end of this "ultrafeminist film"

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
If the scene with John Conner was cut and he just wasn't mentioned at all. People would still whinge that this film is "woke". Why does it matter what nationality someone is?

The director flat out says what the intent of the movie is. Even the trailers spent their entire time on the androgynous Terminator beating the shit out of the evil Terminator and they literally replace the guy that T1 and T2 revolve around for a minority woman with the exact same role.

Are you ignoring what people post?

Piku_Ringo

Banned
1984 Terminator— “Ill be back’

2019 Terminator—“Owww my back

This movie will soon land on the ocean floor along side the Titanic and I won't shed a single tear.

Also fuck James Cameron for taking his payday, then sitting back to watch Hollywood continue to squat down and take a massive shit on a franchise that is considered to be his masterpiece.

Last edited:

s34ab

Banned
This really was just a re-telling of T1 and T2.

kyle reese = androgynous rex
john conner = mexican chick
t1000 = rev9
good arnold = impotent arnold

sol_bad

The director flat out says what the intent of the movie is. Even the trailers spent their entire time on the androgynous Terminator beating the shit out of the evil Terminator and they literally replace the guy that T1 and T2 revolve around for a minority woman with the exact same role.

Are you making things up in your mind?
Just because Mackenzie Davis has short hair, that does not make her androgynous. And what else is she meant to do with the evil terminator, give it flowers and a kiss instead? Bake it a cake in the kitchen, stay in the kitchen like all wamen should?
Again, why does it matter if the new rebel leader is a Mexican girl?

IIRC, they just wanted her food, and one of the three attackers was a woman.

I kind of wish that scene wasn't in the film, it wasn't "inspiring" at all. It's a bad scene, they should have just had Mackenzie Davis explain what happened verbally and not show it.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
WOKE?

gtfo man. what the hell was WOKE in that movie srsly?
terminator 2 was all about that kickass woman,
so was aliens.

dear god everything is woke these days,
trigger clowns

This is why Blomkamp should never make his Alien 5 with Ripley.

Doom85

I kind of wish that scene wasn't in the film, it wasn't "inspiring" at all. It's a bad scene, they should have just had Mackenzie Davis explain what happened verbally and not show it.

Yeah, they couldn't make it too convincing with Dani given there wasn't enough of a time gap to justify switching actors like they did with kid John vs. adult John (plus at Dani's age her face wouldn't look as different some years later compared to how a pre-teen's face would look different as an adult). Like if they had the actress work out some and look tougher, that wouldn't make sense for the 2019 setting since she was just an ordinary factory employee, but at the same time having her look as she did in the future scene it didn't seem like she had gone through the training Sarah would be giving her after the movie ended.

It might have been better if she had been wearing like a cloak and hood when she attacked Grace's assailants and then simply led Grace to the resistance. Would have gotten the point across equally.

At least nobody can accuse the movie of Dani becoming an instant badass (yeah, she nails two practice shots after a simple motivational line, but I've seen that in dozens of films in the past and no one whined about it) since while she does help it's primarily Sarah, Carl, and Grace who are far more effective at fighting the Rev-9.

#Phonepunk#

Banned

No I am just offering my opinion on the movie itself.

I won’t deny that this guy antagonizing other men as toxic is itself bullying toxic behavior that has damaged the film’s reception. These directors have millions of followers and a lot of social media influence that can easily spin off into bullying. Corporate male feminism can be a very toxic thing.

However I don’t mind if John is not the center of the film. He has been the center of the last 5 films. It is not like they have been hiring Edward Furlong in any of these, I made peace w that a while ago. It’s not like this girl is taking his place since Hollywood has shown for decades it wants nothing to do with him. That isn’t entirely on the director however much he proclaims his male feminist creds. Edward Furlong being shut out since T2 is just the Hollywood machine doing its art & people destroying thing.

Personally I just don’t really care what a creator says or thinks what matters is the work. This was still pretty enjoyable. The woman super soldier is cool in a kind of Ghost in the Shell way. She is human but augmented. The guy Terminator actually splits into two and can become both exoskeleton and liquid nitrogen Terminators at the same time. That’s like a recipe for cool sci fi anime/cyberpunk spectacle.

I’m just here for the robots. Pity that loudmouth activism from the director is getting in the way of folks seeing this. Maybe get woke go broke is true here.

Last edited:
I think the problem is the small universe. You have Arnold you have Sarah and her son and that’s about it. Other francises have many characters, allowing for marketing to demographics, representation, etc. People think Star Wars is small but Terminator is tiny.

Also, movies these days can’t just be fun popcorn films they have to be Great Art or some masterwork of franchise marketing. To me it’s like the old Frankenstein monster movies. You get your Bride Of and your Abbott and Costello Meet. Thing is back in the day when they made those it wasn’t like there was a separate monster movie series making billions.

People demand a certain look and seriousness from modern films. They want to watch Iron Man thinking it’s great art. Anything that looks silly or might embarrass their nerd cred gets trashed. New Terminator films aren’t shot like prestige tv, they don’t strive towards pretentiousness, thus they do not flatter their audience so much. People want a pat on the head and to be told they are a big boy. They get that elsewhere.

After watching Stuckmann's review of Dark Fate I agree with him that at least Terminator Salvation tried to do something different with the franchise. Plus I'll give Salvation some props for using miniatures in it's sfx. I actually kinda like Salvation but I can see why some don't, it's got issues.

It's definitely not as good as the first two but out of all the post T2 films I think Salvation is fine compared to the other sequels.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think recognizing the Terminator as a horror film (killer robot) that gets easy sales is a step in the right direction, with all the drama you get what you get as shown in the box office sales.

20cent

Banned
"People moved on" and "no one cares about Terminator anymore" comments make no sense at all.
Super heroes are way older than the Terminator franchise and yet...

The trailer looks bad, the marketing is bad and the posters are horrible. You have to attract the crowd properly, they'd eat anything.

Last edited:

gatti-man

I've spoiled the shit out of the movie for me, and no, I feel my complaints are still valid. They killed John fucking Connor in the first 5 minutes, and the only reason to do that is to literally replace him with a character with the exact same role, except that it's a minority woman. That and family man Terminator that doesn't have sex is fucking stupid.

I'm not going to give money to that shit.
ive already told you you’re wrong. And it makes total sense to kill John since they’ve kindof worn him out in the prior sequels not only that they’ve changed the future anyways so having John still be the savior is so cliche and boring changing it felt right and smart. It’s probably why the movie reviewed well and I’m telling you it’s pretty good while you shit on it and hand wave away explanations all while not even seeing it lol.

You’re obviously not that spoiled if you can’t even grasp the main plot of the movie.

This has become the new defense force for #teamwokeness, i.e. a dishonest denial of evident far left agenda when it's shoved in our face like an unwanted dick in the eye. The movie shames Sarah Connor because she makes a "sexist" assumption & chooses to remake the exact same plot as T1 & T2 with a midget Mexican girl as the savior + an androgynous female Kyle Reese as her protector. It also turns the T-800 into some sort of low testosterone beta male with guilt.

Maybe some people have been in the boiling pot of Hollywood social engineering for too long & don't notice this shit, but to a vast number of people (including people aka men who'd normally go watch a Terminator movie), it's freaking evident.
This is complete bullshit. Have you seen the movie? I’m guessing no. I’m 40 years old I’ve been watching terminator movies since forever. The film has strong women its semi woke but it also has strong men. The T800 isn’t beta good fucking grief. How old are you.

Last edited:
There were only two moments in the movie that made me roll my eyes. I wasn’t overwhelmed with wokeness.

I don’t think the “woke agenda” has much to do with this. I think Terminator is basically dead. It’s sad, and it sucks, but they ran franchise into the ground long before Dark Fate. Like the post below mine says:

Bingo

Shoulda just let T2 sail into the sunset as the masterpiece it is.

I actually liked Salvation, it was different. I was entertained by Dark Fate in a “totally turn my brain off” kinda way. It’s nothing special. T3 and Genisys were train wreck disasters. Imo

The Guest is the best Terminator movie that's come out in the past 25 years that's not even a real Terminator film.

JayK47

I plan to see it this week. There are plenty of great movies that did poorly in theaters, like Kick Ass. I'd rather see another Terminator movie than another Avengers, Xmen or Jurassic movie. Yet those would do well in theaters so plenty more are on the way.

oagboghi2

yes, people would say that becuase that is what the director of the film said. They marketed the film that way to the "woke" market.

Like, what more do you need?

The Jeremy Jahns spoiler review is pretty hilarious in that it points out that Dark Fate completely shits on T2's ending. "The beginning of Dark Fate wouldn't even happen if Arnold had stuck around to protect John instead of dipping himself in lava since none of this shit matters" :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Doom85

The Jeremy Jahns spoiler review is pretty hilarious in that it points out that Dark Fate completely shits on T2's ending. "The beginning of Dark Fate wouldn't even happen if Arnold had stuck around to protect John instead of dipping himself in lava since none of this shit matters" :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sounds like Jeremy's the one who wants to shit on T2's ending since he apparently didn't understand it. The T-800 should have stuck around? With like a 1/3 of his face missing (I guess they could bandage it up, but it would be pretty risky regardless), and a chip inside that if it fell in the wrong hands would mean Skynet would just end getting created again, why the hell would the T-800 stick around? And technically protecting John is irrelevant after changing the future because if there's no Skynet then there's no need for John to lead a resistance.

Because apparently Dark Fate spelling this out several times wasn't enough for Jeremy to get it, SKYNET WAS WIPED FROM THE FUTURE. John dying did not negate that in any way. Legion is a separate AI that was made decades later. That doesn't negate T2's ending, anyone who knows how technological advancements work should be able to figure out stopping one company from getting a massive leap on AI development wasn't going to halt all AI development all over the world. But the victory in T2 still matter, humanity got to live in relative peace instead of getting massively nuked in 1997. A hard fought victory still matters even if a new conflict arrives decades later. That's just the nature of the world.

SJW Exec 1: 'We need to push social agenda...."

SJW Exec2: 'What are our agendas?'

SJW Exec 1: 'Illegal immigration, let's stick it to Trump and the alt-rights....'

Tim Miller: '....and feminism too!! strong female characters is a MUST!!.... stick it to the misogynists'

SJW Exec 2: 'OK....but we got one problem.....'

SJW Exec 1: 'What's that??'

SJW Exec 2: 'John Connor is a straight while male. ......Younger John is pretty toxic too...'

SJW Exec 1: '....damn you're right, that is a problem....'

James Cameron: 'Easy............we will kill John......."

Tim Miller: 'What the fuck James, how can you do that?? You can't kill John, he's the main protagonist'

James Cameron: 'I created this franchise, I can do whatever the hell I want! I say we kill John, and re-start from the end of T2

Tim Miller: 'Then how you're gonna explain T3, T4, T5'

James Cameron: 'Never happened! They ain't my movies anyway............and audience don't even remember they exist....'

SJW Exec 2: 'Then who's the terminator's target....'

Tim Miller: 'A female....must be a female......'

SJW Exec 1: 'a minority too, better yet, illegal immigrant.....'

James Cameron:'.....from Mexico!!!' Sarah was in Mexico at the end of T2'

SJW Exec 2: 'damn......you guys are genius....this might just work, we have the story to bring Linda Hamilton back, she's gonna be a big draw just like Carrie for Star Wars, we cover illegal immigration and feminism social agenda

SJW Exec 1: 'Let's do this guys we have a hit in our hand!!'

James Cameron: 'Damn right we do, I never miss!'

Last edited:

plasmasd

I want the next Terminator film to be a drama about Cameron going back into the past to try and prevent the sequels to his movie by making the second one bad.
The next terminator goes back in time to stop him from making titanic and loosing his mind. Instead we get True Lies 2 where terrorists blow up the world trade center buildings and it stops it from happening in real life. James Cameron then gives up on filmmaking and then builds a real life BioShock city under the sea.

oagboghi2

Sounds like Jeremy's the one who wants to shit on T2's ending since he apparently didn't understand it. The T-800 should have stuck around? With like a 1/3 of his face missing (I guess they could bandage it up, but it would be pretty risky regardless), and a chip inside that if it fell in the wrong hands would mean Skynet would just end getting created again, why the hell would the T-800 stick around? And technically protecting John is irrelevant after changing the future because if there's no Skynet then there's no need for John to lead a resistance.

Because apparently Dark Fate spelling this out several times wasn't enough for Jeremy to get it, SKYNET WAS WIPED FROM THE FUTURE. John dying did not negate that in any way. Legion is a separate AI that was made decades later. That doesn't negate T2's ending, anyone who knows how technological advancements work should be able to figure out stopping one company from getting a massive leap on AI development wasn't going to halt all AI development all over the world. But the victory in T2 still matter, humanity got to live in relative peace instead of getting massively nuked in 1997. A hard fought victory still matters even if a new conflict arrives decades later. That's just the nature of the world.
So the sacrifice just delayed the inevitable. T2 is meaningless.

It would be like if Darth Vader sacrificed himself to stop Palpatine and then he ...just...came...back

ManaByte

Gold Member

It would be like if Darth Vader sacrificed himself to stop Palpatine and then he ...just...came...back

Did you even see the movie? It’s not the same. Firstly they didn’t even set a date for the new “judgement day” (and it’s not just one day, it’s three) and it wasn’t the machines who nuked the humans.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I saw it last night. A few thoughts.

The basic idea for the plot is actually pretty good. It had to have come from Cameron. People have probably been asking him since '92, "Why didn't they just send a bunch of Terminators back?" And so he went with that- but then that Terminator comes from a future that never existed, which is a pretty interesting idea, and then they just put a plot on top of that. AND... it was ok.

The biggest problem is the dialogue. It is just dull dull dull. What was the final line before killing the villain, something like "Time to die fucker"? Absurd. Nothing even remotely approaches the nuance of "What's wrong with Wolfy?" I'm serious... you remember it, don't you? I bet you can't recall a single line of dialogue from Dark Fate. When it shows Arnold with his family, I was waiting for some sort of comedic moment, like the smiling scene in T2, but no, nothing.

Dani's is not really a bad idea, but her character development was totally unconvincing. And that Gaf poster was right that said the San Junipeo girl looks just like Dylan Rooff. Going into it I wasn't annoyed by the wokeness, because T1 and 2 and 3 were all strongly female stories, but it the wokeness honestly did get to be a bit grating.

I got a bit of a Poe Dameron vibe from Arnold's conversion. "I gained my humanity because I just recognized what was right." Vapid.

The action was generally pretty good, but it just didn't have that hardness and brutality that T1&2 have. I don't feel like I wasted my money on it, unlike Genysys, which I will never forgive.

MilkyJoe

You see, guys, Tim Miller really understands how to make a movie. He didn't want to have some boring "chosen one" in the movie and center it around their character. No, he instead decided his protagonist would be a character "chosen by the hand of fate," which is completely different for some reason.

I love the bit about the "shall we make it John's daughter?"

Female female female, has to be a fucking female :messenger_tears_of_joy: You see how far the indoctrination goes?

I gained my humanity because I just recognized what was right.

Ugh. The progressive left.

Long time T fan. Not going to see this. Wanted too, but no. I even told my kids that Wolfie scene once, it's that cool. Nowadays, the films just rehash the famous quotes. Like you, it drives me mad. Will wait for the Netflix release.

Last edited:

sol_bad

If you take T2 on it's own, forget any of the sequels. The film on it's own is already meaningless. What Sarah is trying to do, kill Dyson and destroy Cyberdyne, destroying advanced technology. Mankind will eventually create advanced AI one day, she is just delaying the inevitable.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Made a chick flick out of a guy movie.

Wonder why it bombs

News at 11.

Again, this is why Blomkamp should NEVER make his Alien 5 with Ripley and Newt.

If you take T2 on it's own, forget any of the sequels. The film on it's own is already meaningless. What Sarah is trying to do, kill Dyson and destroy Cyberdyne, destroying advanced technology. Mankind will eventually create advanced AI one day, she is just delaying the inevitable.

Why are you saying Sarah? According to the internet in 2019 John Connor is the main character of that movie.

He was a little dipshit.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

As wank as people think it is, and I don't agree with that, They should have give Salvation a chance

T1
T2
T3

BOOOOOO FUCKIN OOOOOOOOOM

Salvation
War against the machines in a fucked up skull ridden hell

Doom85

Made a chick flick out of a guy movie.

Wonder why it bombs

News at 11.

Man I must be watching the wrong chick flicks because I don't remember the ones my sister liking growing up featuring a huge body count, blood, crazy car chases, tons of guns, etc. I guess there must be a bunch of unrated director's cuts to these chick flicks.....

Doom85

I guess James Cameron should re-edit Terminator 2's ending: "Okay, Linda, we're adding onto your narration at the end where you clarify that obviously humanity will still continue working on AI and it's likely a similar threat to Skynet could pop up down the road. You know, to make sure the kids who sneaked into the film don't get lost, wait, I'm sorry? Huh, my producer says we're doing this to clarify it for the adults. Geezus, well maybe we should also have the characters say in the film shit like, 'this car needs gas to keep going!' and 'the gun only fires bullets when it has bullets in it!' Wouldn't want to confuse anyone with basic shit about our own reality."

Also, as Dr. Cox once said in Scrubs, "all we're doing here is delaying the inevitable". Everyone dies at some point, doesn't mean there's no value in doing what you can to keep yourself and others alive as long as reasonably possible. I see delaying the apocalypse by 20+ years as a win, the amount of happy moments people had in the time gained by the heroes' fight in T2 is immeasurable. I mean, if somebody only lived to be 20, is it sad their life wasn't longer, oh absolutely, no doubt, but meaningless? That's a fucked up way for somebody to look at it.

sol_bad

You should ask the filmmakers that. They didn't choose a Mexican girl because they just happened to pick her name out of a hat.

Film makers can choose whatever actor they want and shoot their film where ever they want. Obviously to them nationality doesn't matter and it shouldn't matter within reason.

The franchise is about the human race being annihilated in the future on a global scale. They can set the film in Japan with an Italian lead for all I care.

mcjmetroid

I hate the woke but I don't think a movie with only female protagonists is your definition of woke.

Is aliens a woke movie?

goldenpp72

As wank as people think it is, and I don't agree with that, They should have give Salvation a chance

T1
T2
T3

Salvation

Salvation was a boring, cold, sterile ass movie with an idiotic plot that basically ruined what people dreamed to see on screen. It became a generic brown war movie with a lot of yelling and a stupid plot with a really dumb version of Skynet. Was so hyped going into that movie 😐

T1
T2
T3

Salvation
Salvation is actually my least favourite precisely because it came so close to being good that its failures frustrate me beyond the point I can get any enjoyment out of it.

For all the movie does well in terms of skipping the time travel and present day setting of the first 3 movies, it still doesn't quite distance itself or give itself whole heartedly to the heavy metal grimdark insanity the War Against the Machines should be, and that we saw in flashbacks (flashforwards) in 1 & 2.

John Connor is still not in charge, he's still just relying on warnings of the future and his mothers advice, the T800 is introduced as a big shock reveal, when we're all over familiar with it, especially the Arnie model, Kyle Reese is made too big of a fuss and focus on, tying us far too much to the first movie, the Cyborg stuff is dumb and ends on a ridiculous note, and it's all too optimistic and lacking the mechanical, emotionless cruelty such a world should be soaked in.

The only media I truly enjoyed since the second movie was The Sarah Connor Chronicles, since it was both doing something new, let us see how fucked up the future was and how brutal and callous both Skynet and the humans of that era were, and had a few scenes of John Connor being his own man and demonstrating what a ruthless motherfucker and tactical genius he ended up being, both utterly believed in by his army as the only salvation and hope of victory humanity had, and almost as alien and inhuman as the machines he fought, yet seemed to to have too more in common with than the people he led.

Last edited:
I hate the woke but I don't think a movie with only female protagonists is your definition of woke.

Is aliens a woke movie?

Having female protagonists is completely OK, but go make original female franchise movies. Don't just take traditional male franchise and slap on female characters on them, just because feminism!!!

I love Salt, Atomic Blonde, why didn't they build on them?!? The problem with these studios is that they want to push feminism agenda, and yet they don't want to risk money on new franchises. Even John Wick didn't explode overnight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom