• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terminator Dark Fate bombs at the Box Office

Christopher

It didn’t have a fucking moving plot to it the way the old ones did it just felt very thrown together and nothing of substance....

The Mexican chick was totally not a believable leader either at all.

Sarah Conner was already a badass why turn up the SJW???

The plot just seemed so out there from the first two I seemed so disinterested at all...there was no good dialogue, no good moving scenes, and nothing of substance it felt cheap and gimmicky....it didn’t move the cohesive plot of T1 or t2 at all.

Why not have John grown together with Sarah in this seeing him in the making of becoming the hero he’s suppose to be??? Awful way to shit on T2s legacy.

Men in black mind wipe this from me, awful.

sol_bad

No? There's a couple of pick-up shots of Cyberdyne, Dyson, the chip and hand pepperred in early on, which is what like 2 minutes total? The subplot is set up during the drive to wherever when Arnie says the shit was invented by Miles Dyson, then pause for character development and setting up some of the weapons that will be used, which is the same beat as the part in T1 when they make pipebombs. Up until this point T2 beat for beat matches T1. At this point it veeres off into Sarah's home invasion of Dyson and then the trip to Cyberdyne, with lame action because our goodguys can't earnestly fuck up anyone. T1000 is nowhere to be seen until the end when he commanders or steals a helicopter, I don't remember which one. This whole thing takes about 30 minutes, and once it's done T2 goes back to matching T1 beat for beat, big final truck chase, end up at industrial plant, terminator dies. Fin.

That's why it feels like a complete bolted on tangent, because T2 is a carbon copy of T1, except for that half hour of plot shit when the chase is put on hold, the T1000 fucks off, and the movie wastes as much time as possible to wrap up the subplot before going back to being T1 again. The movie is long as shit, but it doesn't feel its length, except for that Cyberdyne part, which just kills the movie's momentum dead.

I'm not sure what you are talking about, Cyberdyne was always in the creative process.

The script.

Dada55000

I'm not sure what you are talking about, Cyberdyne was always in the creative process.

The script.
If you're not sure, maybe read again? I'm not saying it wasn't intended. At no point did I even imply that. I'm saying it's a completely bolted on top of what is a riff on T1, and the movie would have improved immensely if it was jettisoned.

Cyberdyne was also intended to be in T1. Then it wasn't, and the movie was better for it.

sol_bad

If you're not sure, maybe read again? I'm not saying it wasn't intended. At no point did I even imply that. I'm saying it's a completely bolted on top of what is a riff on T1, and the movie would have improved immensely if it was jettisoned.

Cyberdyne was also intended to be in T1. Then it wasn't, and the movie was better for it.

When you say "bolted on", it sounds like you are saying it was added to the story after the fact.

RE T1, from what I remember of the script, Sarah sees Cyberdyne and suggests to Reese that they should destroy it. Reese declined and says it's not his mission.

Dada55000

When you say "bolted on", it sounds like you are saying it was added to the story after the fact.

RE T1, from what I remember of the script, Sarah sees Cyberdyne and suggests to Reese that they should destroy it. Reese declined and says it's not his mission.
Bolted on top of the T1 structure that T2 is following beat by beat.

The factory at the end of T1 was to be revealed as Cyberdyne.

Last edited:

quickwhips

So i saw this and i hated it. Why kill john if you going to use the same plot with a girl. I actual liked the t3 ending which i was hoping would setup the war. I don't imagine john just hanging out on a beach like that with sarah.

Jon Neu

Banned
FG7EeEi.png

5Lk7.gif

Jon Neu

Banned
This is what I notice with these studios, they want to push feminism agenda, but they’re also afraid to start new franchise so they re-use existing franchises and slap on female character replacing the existing main characters, John Connor, SW, 007

That's because the feminist agenda is not about doing good things for women, but simply to get revenge on men. White men, obviously.

That's why they replace men with women, they crave that feeling of trying to make men angry, they really believe their made up fantasies of men scared of an actress being strong and tough in a fucking movie, when in reality we are just baffled by their silly masturbatory fantasies and antics.

Forsythia

I liked the movie. When the first poster was released I laughed at Grace, but she was fantastic. Kudos to the actress. The actress playing Dani sucks ass though. Linda Hamilton and Arnold were great. Yeah, it's the same old story with different names and characters, but I thought it was pretty decent nonetheless.

cryptoadam

Banned
56 Million dollars. This movie probably won't crawl its way past 75$ Million domestic. Mega Bomba.

I think it was destined to be a failure, but I bet if the first poster had Arnie+John Conner on it and Tim Miller didn't say we would be scared because we are misogynist and Cameron didn't like about Edward Furlong that the movie would of crawled to 100 Million at least.

sol_bad

56 Million dollars. This movie probably won't crawl its way past 75$ Million domestic. Mega Bomba.

I think it was destined to be a failure, but I bet if the first poster had Arnie+John Conner on it and Tim Miller didn't say we would be scared because we are misogynist and Cameron didn't like about Edward Furlong that the movie would of crawled to 100 Million at least.

I highly doubt that, star power means nothing these days. The franchise is dead.

cryptoadam

Banned
I highly doubt that, star power means nothing these days. The franchise is dead.

I agree, but I don't think it would of been as mega a bomba. this is doing worse then Genysys. 56 Million after 3 weeks is a special type of bomb. Like I said I don't think it would of been a hit, but it could of maybe got close to 100 Mill domestic and did as well as Genysys in China. Keep in mind its bombing in China big time while the last one made over 100 Million there.

I think John Conner + Arnie would of been enough to drum up some small interest, at least way more than the LGTBQ-800, Granny Hamilton, and petite Dani.

ruvikx

Banned
It really surprises people that nobody wants to see some old geriatric fucks pretend they're action stars with a bunch of literally who's in Terminator 7?

On top of the political bullshit (aka "fuck John Connor, a Mexican girl is the savior!") which shits all over the entire franchise just to score woke points, the above is pretty much also the crux of why this bombed. Linda Hamilton is a sad sight, for real (including her Hillary Clinton styled hair). In T2 she was tough, but here? Seeing an old lady hold a rocket launcher is something I'd rather see in Hot Fuzz than a Terminator movie which aspires towards credible drama. The fact Hollywood actually believed shoving Hamilton into this movie was going to "get fans excited" shows just how weird & disconnected they are. Even when the Sarah Connor Chronicles series was made, Linda Hamilton was a total has been passed it washed up nobody, hence why she wasn't in anything of note after Dante's Peak in 1997 (in which she sucked).

If I was going to put Sarah Connor back in one of these movies, I'd cast Lena Headey again. But nope, Hollywood says "watch this granny shoot Terminators & cheer!". Nope.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
So whose carrers will be destroyed by this bomb?

Tim Miller is probably pretty f'd, he already screwed up with deadpool 2, and now this bomba on his head. McKenzie Davis is probably fine. Linda Hamilton didn't have much of a career before they dug her up so she can crawl back into her grave. Danni Ramos is probably done in any major roles.

Cameron will have a chink in his armor, but he has his Avatar card to play so he is safe. If that bombs though we will surely get Titanic 2:Jacks revenge.

cryptoadam

Banned
The problem is cinema has advanced to much and the creators wouldn't be able to restrain themselves so it would just be a bunch of CGI shit fighting CGI shit.

The problem is cinema has advanced to much and the creators wouldn't be able to restrain themselves so it would just be a bunch of CGI shit fighting CGI shit.

Pretty much. You could find someone capable of writing an amazing future war film, but actually getting it produced properly would be damn near impossible.

Incredibly underwhelming film - I'm super fine with women being front & center, and Terminator was always a southern border story if you think about it, but the way they disregarded the established continuity not only makes no sense, it makes the previous movies retroactively worse. If time travel wasn't extremely costly (in resources) and complex and SkyNet could send many Terminators to kill John Connor, why didn't they send a small army to kill Sarah in T1? The way the whole SkyNet/John Connor duality was dropped entirely was also... stupid. LEGION? What a dumbass cliché name for an AI.

I re-watched T2 not too long ago and I had completely forgotten it had one of the best opening credits sequence of all time.

Every time I watch it, I get goosebumps. After finishing the movie every time Im still in awe of its excellence

sol_bad

Tim Miller is probably pretty f'd, he already screwed up with deadpool 2, and now this bomba on his head. McKenzie Davis is probably fine. Linda Hamilton didn't have much of a career before they dug her up so she can crawl back into her grave. Danni Ramos is probably done in any major roles.

What was wrong with Deadpool 2? It was hilarious, it made bank and it was well received by critics and audience members.

Raziel

the only way to do a future war film without breaking the bank is to do something smaller scale like fury road. make the whole movie about a semi truck getting chased by terminator vehicles and those mcg motorcycles. even that would probably still cost upwards 100m.

sol_bad

Nothing wrong with the movie, I thought Tim Miller was kicked off the movie and someone else took his spot no?

oooooohhhhhh
I forgot about that, creative differences or something.
I totally forgot that David Leitch took over.

According to Wiki:
At the end of October, Miller left the film over "mutual creative differences" with Reynolds,[63] reportedly based on several factors, including Reynolds' expanded creative control over the sequel; Miller's wish for a more stylized follow-up than the first film, versus Reynolds' focus "on the raunchy comedy style that earned the first movie its R rating"; and Miller's intention to cast Chandler as Cable, which Reynolds opposed. Fox ultimately backed "its marketable star" over Miller, who had made his directorial debut with the first film.[59] Miller denied this report,[64] while Reynolds said he could only add that "I'm sad to see him off the film. Tim's brilliant and nobody worked harder on Deadpool than he did."[65] Miller's plans for the film included introducing the young mutant Rusty and a comic book accurate portrayal of Cable, having Vanessa embrace her Copycat persona from the comics, and featuring a fight between Juggernaut and The Thing. The latter is a member of the Fantastic Four, and the studio had approved crossing the character over from that franchise before Miller's exit.

MilkyJoe

So i saw this and i hated it. Why kill john if you going to use the same plot with a girl. I actual liked the t3 ending which i was hoping would setup the war. I don't imagine john just hanging out on a beach like that with sarah.

Because they don't know how to make movies anymore.

Teslerum

On top of the political bullshit (aka "fuck John Connor, a Mexican girl is the savior!") which shits all over the entire franchise just to score woke points, the above is pretty much also the crux of why this bombed. Linda Hamilton is a sad sight, for real (including her Hillary Clinton styled hair). In T2 she was tough, but here? Seeing an old lady hold a rocket launcher is something I'd rather see in Hot Fuzz than a Terminator movie which aspires towards credible drama. The fact Hollywood actually believed shoving Hamilton into this movie was going to "get fans excited" shows just how weird & disconnected they are. Even when the Sarah Connor Chronicles series was made, Linda Hamilton was a total has been passed it washed up nobody, hence why she wasn't in anything of note after Dante's Peak in 1997 (in which she sucked).

If I was going to put Sarah Connor back in one of these movies, I'd cast Lena Headey again. But nope, Hollywood says "watch this granny shoot Terminators & cheer!". Nope.

Honestly the *fuck John Connor* mentality the new movies have is why I got zero interest in them.

For me the rise of John Connor as this mythical hero of a human resistance is part of what made the Terminator movies were for me. Terminator 2 did a superb job portraying him as a struggeling teenager who’s trying to find his place. T3 tried to continue this idea, but failed. But that was because of execution, not concept.

So, yeah. I’ve got zero interest in any of the last two terminator movies. Just because none of them were actually interested in continuing the story, instead they’d rather fuck around randomly.

Last edited:
I haven't seen Dark Fate yet but if they want to save the franchise they need to finally give us the future war (not the shit we saw in Salvation) and they need to embrace the horror element again.

A Terminator movie set in the early war with humans being hunted by the very first Terminator models would be cool. Otherwise the franchise feels stale.
This x100. Been fucking saying this for years.

One of the reason I love Terminator 1 is that dark, horror element. The fact that this machine is unstoppable. They should have done the future war with the same thematic elements of Terminator Everyone is tired of the 'protect the human saviour at all costs to avoid a bleak future' storyline. It's been done to death with each iteration of this franchise with T3 and Genysis in particular being god awful.

The whole series is an uphill climb for profitability. Most terminator fans are older now with kids or even grandkids. I would wager the majority of those people have been disappointed enough times to move on. I could see diehard fans giving it a shot after T3, or even the next failure, but come on. It's so fucking convoluted by this point we have to forget 3 films happened just for this to even work.

Die, please.
The franchise is far from dead and still has loads of potential in my opinion.
Its just had unfortunate instances where it's been fucked 3 ways to Sunday by incompetent directors and storytellers who sough to regurgitate the same T2 premise over and over again.

The future war is a story with untapped potential. The series has a chance to move into a completely different direction in terms of story but many have refused to venture into this unknown realm. I mean, correct me if im wrong, even James Cameron recently alluded to wanting to do or thinking of a Terminator movie based on the future war between man and machine and about not letting the franchise paint itself into a corner.

You could easily capture that horror Terminator 1 feel with a dark, gritty future war between man and machine with humans using guerrilla tactics against the smarter machines.

This x100. Been fucking saying this for years.

One of the reason I love Terminator 1 is that dark, horror element. The fact that this machine is unstoppable. They should have done the future war with the same thematic elements of Terminator Everyone is tired of the 'protect the human saviour at all costs to avoid a bleak future' storyline. It's been done to death with each iteration of this franchise with T3 and Genysis in particular being god awful.

The franchise is far from dead and still has loads of potential in my opinion.
Its just had unfortunate instances where it's been fucked 3 ways to Sunday by incompetent directors and storytellers who sough to regurgitate the same T2 premise over and over again.

The future war is a story with untapped potential. The series has a chance to move into a completely different direction in terms of story but many have refused to venture into this unknown realm. I mean, correct me if im wrong, even James Cameron recently alluded to wanting to do or thinking of a Terminator movie based on the future war between man and machine and about not letting the franchise paint itself into a corner.

You could easily capture that horror Terminator 1 feel with a dark, gritty future war between man and machine with humans using guerrilla tactics against the smarter machines.

Again agree 100X

Early war of Men vs Machine has so much untapped potential
- Start it right after T3 after the Judgement Day. The setting should in city ruins
- AI assembles bunch of 'dumber' early Terminator models to hunt down John Connor and human survivors.
- Instead of one superior Terminator, now they can have bunch of 'dumber' Terminators with other robot variants, robo-spiders, robo-dogs, etc. The war is fought in guerilla / cat-mouse tactic.
- Near the end of the movie, they can show how the AI evolve/learn how to build human-like robots

Top Bottom